Proton GEN-2 Hatchback (04 - 07) Owner reviews

This car gets one star!! In the real world with the average driver it should get three or four.On cost alone we have recently purchased a 2007 1.6 gls ex-mobility car for £2995,less if you take into account the £800 trade in for a 13 year old hyundai coupe that really wasnt worth a penny,so for £2200 we got a 4 year old car with 20k,fully maintained with lots of kit and not a mark on the bodywork.The car drives very well,returns 42 mpg and looks very smart it has less rattles than our brand new mini cooper convertible and cost £15k less.If your on a budget and want a reliable low cost newish car you wont do better,not cheap new but depreciation means they are a bargain second hand.Ignore the so called expert reviews and save yourself a packet or buy a common run of the mill high mileage more prestige badge and lose a fortune the choice is yours!!!

steven mcdonald, July 25th 2011

GL 5dr

I have been driving a variety of cars, ranging from sports cars to full-sized passenger coaches, for 40 years. I have owned Toyota Celicas and Mazda MX-5s. Unfortunately neck and back problems forced me to buy a car which was easier to get into and lighter to drive. All my dealer had appropriate at the time was a 2005 Proton Gen-2 1.6 GL. I knew nothing about Protons and read the reviews, which scared me. I dithered for quite a while and then went for it. I have been extremely pleasantly surprised, and find many internet reviews most unfair. OK, it's not the first off at the lights if you want to be a boy racer, but it's surprisingly powerful and outpaces many similar cars. It handles superbly and the cornering is great. As a woman I do not find the driving position uncomfortable at all, in fact it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven, and I LIKE the pale brown interior instead of the black holes that most cars have these days. Some of the plastics are a bit flimsy, and I've been having a problem with the door locking mechanism, but apart from that I'm very pleased with the car, which I've now had for 2.5 years, and am in no hurry to change it.

Jackie Johnson, West Midlands, March 4th 2011

GL 5dr

Why is this car getting just a one star rating in magazines? I bought this car initially on price - it was cracking value. The bagful of warranties was also reasurring. It is quite excellent to drive. I had a Peugeot 306 before and is every bit as good as that landmark car to drive. It is also stacked with equipment, such as leather seats, climate control, and a top stereo. OK, so the interior plastics ain't great, but mine has the the grey and black dash with black seats and it looks far classier than the earlier models. I am almost losing count of the number of friends who rubbish this car initially, and then when they have been out in it, have to change their opinion. In summary, then, it's good looking, sharp-driving, comfortable, inexpensive and different - I love it. Lastly, I am 5ft 11in tall, and of slim build, and I have no probs with the driving position - do yourself a favour today - go and try one!

jon higgins, united kingdon, May 20th 2008

GSX 5dr

I drove this car. It is very, very stable and has a very good engine and looks good. However, the cabin plastics feel cheap but they're well shaped. The stereo is good, too, and it has a CD changer.

fahd yehia, May 30th 2007

GSX 5dr

I've had this car 2 years now and have been quite impressed. Contrary to any reviews you have read this is a more than reasonable car. Being a 1.3 the performance is only average but good enough. Reliability has been second to none and service costs are good too. The build quality may not be the best in the world but bits don't fall off! This car is better value than most other cars of the same price and I will recomend this to anyone.

phillip knight, kent, May 11th 2007

GLS 5dr

My friend juz bought a Proton Gen2 last week and ask me to test drive his car. The Proton Gen2 have a handsome look. This car looks stylish and i thought Proton finally made something better.The interior looks good and it was well designed... However,when i touched the dashboard,it really change my view. The plastic is shiny and hard (although is still better than the chinese car) like toy.The driving position was really awkward bcoz the steering is too near and it cannot be adjusted(only rake but not reach). The engine noise at idle speed was acceptable but the road and wind noise were annoying. The handling is okay for a FF car(better than those japanese but still left quite far behind Peugeot). The Gen2 is really a cheap car to run if u dont care too much about the quality.

Ken Wong, December 19th 2006

GSX 5dr

i bought my gen 2 in april and im glad that i did,this car has every thing you want in a car-looks,perfomance,equipment,interior space and comfort.total strangers always ask me about it and when they look at the badge they cant beleive its a proton,well done proton,keep making cars like this and things can only get better.it truely is hard to find a fault with the car.some people say its interior looks tacky(jeromy clarkson,but then again what car does he like)but i totally disagree it looks great and how many other cars offer you so much equipment for so little money?

mark mcmanus, antrim, October 10th 2006

GSX 5dr

Like Stan Wilde, I am totally overawed by the Gen-2. We retired a short while ago, and decided to buy a smaller car, as our only car, we looked around and did our sums and homework, and the local Proton dealer, was both friendly and helpful (Skoda, take note!, gave me the best trade in for my Mercedes than any other dealer. I took delivery at the beginning of September, and I can honestly say that the Gen-2 handles beautifully, it is very quiet at speed, and the automatic gearbox is a delight. The complaints about the interior being tacky, do not measure up in my estimation, I have the "new interior" specification, black and beige, it looks absolutely superb, and with the leather interior it really is the DB. The price was absolutely superb, for and equivalent Ford Focus I would have had to pay 4 to 5 thousand more. I came across the following web site for a totally unbiased review of the Gen-2, so if you are at all even considering, have a look at this site .... it will change your mind... http://www.thisismotorsplatform.co.uk/newportal/cars/reviews/SearchResults.aspx?VehicleType=New&ManufacturerId=38&Fish4SiteId=nortiessx&ManufacturerIndex=60&PageIndex=0 The other thing that convinced me to go for Proton was the second hand price of a Mercedes ... I saw a Mercedes Turbo Diesel with an 03 Plate for £13,995, so the depreciation over two years was about £15,000, one thing for sure my Proton won't depreciate by £15,000!

Fleming Clark, Hampshire, October 3rd 2006

GSX 5dr

This is my first Proton, what attracted me was the amount of kit you get for the money. Mine is the 1.3 GLS model, which on reflection was not best choice as the 1.3 lacks any real go at anything below 4,000rpm, once going though it pulls well and is very capable of breaking speed limits. Don't switch on the aircon though as it drags performance down too much! I echo the comments about the quality of the interior trim, i've got to say the cheap and tacky plastic is not great, the beige interior components are not all a matching shade and jars the eye. The door armrests are particularly hard on the elbows. saying that though it is comfortable and a pleasant ride. It also has a decent stereo. Running costs are reasonable although I think it could do better. What impressed me most was the dealer back-up. Very good, I had a couple of minor warranty issues which were dealt with very quickly with no fuss, and the fact that you get six years warranty on engine and drive-train and three years free servicing, who else offers that? All in all, not a world beater but it is good value for money and worth considering.

Paul Sherwood, Norfolk, August 10th 2006

GLS 5dr

Now there, my star rateing stuffs all the others doesn't it ??? Why ? Because the Gen-2 is a superb motor vehicle in ALL respects. I am an ex police driver, motor trader & mechanic. I have over 40 years of driving experience, so I am well qualified to judge whether a car is good of bad. Why do so many miss-informed people degrade PROTON cars ? This is my third PROTON.Now do you really think that I would have had three if they were as bad as some people say ? No of course not, there are plenty of other vehicles to choose from....And I chose a PROTON Gen-2 ! LOTUS designed engine, ride & handling. They don't rust, they don't break (French & italian car owners please note !) The seats are very comfortable, even on a three hour non stop journey ! The equipment is good. My GSX has climate control, 10 disc CD changer, leather seats etc. Just as you would expect from a quality car. Just because the price is reasonable doesn't mean that it's rubbish. Take no notice of all the unfair reports they are NOT true ! PROTON own LOTUS so they have a large stake in the UK motor industry, unlike some more popular manufacturers ! Go on try one, you WILL be impressed !

Stan Wilde, Staffordshire, May 26th 2006

GSX 5dr

i like this car..its practical and for me..its the better wise choice for city car..the equpitmen is standard as other world class company car like toyota nissan and others..so..dont waist your money to buy the import car... PROTON GEN.2 1.6..IS AWESOME..from PROTON..OF COURSE

azrul hazimi hazimi, kedah, April 19th 2006

GSX 5dr

It was the shape that first attracted me. It looks and feels comfy. I dont like the inside, it is cheap and chatty. The car is performing well with no problems to report.

gill dawson, November 7th 2004

GLS 5dr

Design-wise the car is refreshing and I think it has some shades of Mazda in the front end, Megane from the side and BMW coupe from the rear. I like the handling very much with its precise steering giving you the right input .The ride is quite good but on the firm side. The engine sounds course at all speeds. When I first got my car the engine felt a bit sluggish and tight. After a few thousand miles, it is now quite acceptable. I like the interior, at least the way it is designed, and it is quite different from what we have seen in Malaysia. The interior quality is the thing that mars what is potentially a good car. The plastics used seem to be of a very low quality. The surfaces feel rough and hard. The steering wheel is also made from hard plastics. I don't really like the seats, and the door handles are difficult to open. Overall this is a quite good first attempt by Proton

Mohd Sallehhudin Abd Aziz Abd Aziz, kajang, October 23rd 2004