Renault Clio Hatchback (98 - 05) Owner reviews

Brought this car last month, traded in my older clio and what a difference this car is. The touchscreen media player is easy to use and great sounds. Makes the Fiesta look outdated. No road tax and when the turbo kicks in its fun to drive. Driving on the motorway its quiet and has pace again such an improvement on the last Clio. No road tax great stop start system and good entertainment system. Dont know how can people prefer the fiesta over this ?

Martin Lowe, Surrey, April 15th 2015

TCE 90 ECO Dynamique MediaNav Energy 5dr

I bought a Clio Campus 1.2L 16V as my first car. It was an 08 plate so I expected minimal problems. I was wrong: HOWEVER I do not put this down to the car itself. I bought the car from a dodgy dealer who MOT'd the car themself and signed it off as roadworthy. It was not. The car was previously used as a weekend car so had a mileage of about 38,000. Cosmetically it was spotless- beautiful interior, and very comfortable for me (5'2 lady) who struggled with her instructors car in terms of clutch control, I have small legs.I always feel like I have 100% control over my car. After I purchased the car, it broke down due to to an alternator failure and worn battery. This was no fault of the car and was because neither had been serviced or changed since the car was manufactured nearly 7 years ago. Β£300 later both were changed and the car was back on the road. In terms of running costs I find the clio extremely cheap to run. Positives : cheap to run, great for smaller people, excellent handling and power steering, toasty heating, looks good (from the front, not a fan of the back but that's personal taste), small so easy to manoeuvre, very forgiving (hard to stall). Negatives: original radio is awful, not good for taller people, apparently uncomfortable for them. Ugly back. Overall would definitely recommend as a first car or for smaller people. Does what it says on the tin.

Rebecca Stevens, February 4th 2015

16V Sport 3dr

First of all, it's a car that attracts positive attention. I wanted something with more character and distinctiveness compared to other small cars like the Fiesta or Polo. Lots of people have asked me about it, come to admire it, and commented on how smart it is. It really does stand out. To drive, it’s fun and agile. When I read the reviews I saw the comment about the gear change being β€œnotchy” but on the test drive it felt surprisingly smooth. It handles well in corners at speed and over most bumps. The 1.2 engine does struggle on hills and at getting to speed on the motorway, but with a small engine that’s to be expected. I do quite a bit of motorway driving and the fuel economy is pretty good for a small car and the insurance is pretty low. It feels relatively spacious inside and the dynamique system with satnav, Bluetooth etc is easy to use. I’ve had the car a few months now and done several thousand miles and so far, can’t find anything to criticise.

Roddy Gauld, July 31st 2014

16V Dynamique MediaNav 5dr

I bought my 57 plate Clio as my first car almost a year ago. I liked it because it was a little different that your run-of-the-mill Corsas Fiestas and Mk.2 Clios. Compared with other cars I've driven, I love the ability to throw it into corners. Fast it surely isn't given its diminutive displacement, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive. The only downside to this is that during my commute to work, getting stuck behind slower traffic on winding A-roads means finding a large enough overtaking gap can be tricky. Taking passengers makes getting up to speed..."leisurely", but then that's to be expected. Given that it's pretty much the base model (although I'm not quite sure where the "Extreme" was supposed to fit in), the interior is pretty sparse. Cheap plastic galore, but its functional. One problem I do have is chronic misting of the windows unless I leave the AC on. The stereo is good enough for me despite the display dying, but the speakers in the back are fake - just trim covering empty holes. Problems; in the year I have owned the car, the windscreen wipers stopped working twice (both during heavy rain I might add). The gutter beneath the windscreen also has been blocked more than once, causing water to pour from under the bonnet under heavy cornering, or in extreme cases spill into the passenger footwell. Also keen to eek out your cash, you have to take the car to a garage to change a front lightbulb, unless youre comfortable removing the front bumper DIY-styl

Peter Arthur, Fife, February 22nd 2014

16V Extreme 3dr

I have a lot of good things to say about this car so far! Firstly the outside. Mine is a white Dynamique S and it looks really special. It is a genuinely very pretty car in the metal and the 17" alloys make it look even better. The engine is pretty hilarious. It isn't as slow as it is made out to be unless you put the Eco mode on which strangles the turbo. Very quiet but makes a good noise if you push harder and if most if your driving is around town it is all you need. It is a bit weaker on the motorway, particularly on an incline but it is no worse than a normal 1.4 car. I have traded out of a 2011 Mini Cooper and I don't feel short changed with this. Fuel consumption is good so far too. The needle hasn't really moved. Inside is well fitted out. It looks good though some of the switchgear is pretty old school. Great standard equipment as well with Sat Nav, bluetooth audio, electric folder mirrors, parking sensors etc all standard. It is fairly spacious too. I'm 6 foot 3 and have plenty of room. It isn't a particularly small car to be honest but a reasonable compromise between, say, a Polo and a Golf on size. Service from the dealer has been good so far. I originally wanted a BMW 1 series but found the service from the local dealer shocking. There was no hard sell, I was allowed to test drive the Clio and a Captur and compare petrol/diesel engines before making up my own mind. Overall a lovely car with way more personality than other small cars. Well worth a l

David Mitchell, Hampshire, December 21st 2013

TCE 90 Dynamique S MediaNav Energy 5dr

I bought this brand new in September as my first Renault. This car looks good, especially in the flame red and it's a real head turner. The inside is roomy and in general is a pleasure to drive, although the engine struggles at low speed and you have to work it hard to get in third gear. Economy is good and around town I am getting 58mpg and up to 70 on the motorway. The MediaNav System looks good (very IPADish), but it hides a few flaws that you get to notice over time. The SATNAV element does not accept 6 digit postcodes and is not a patch on TomTom models at a 10th of the price. Apparently a patch is available, but Renault want to squeeze a few more quid from you. Secondly, updating the maps is a painful process and can take up to an hour with the engine running. I am sure that if Renault addressed these minor issues, then they would have a real contender for being the class leader.

John Rostron, Lancashire, December 7th 2013

dCi 90 ECO Dynamique MediaNav Energy 5dr

Had my 1.4 16v Clio for 3 years now and frankly it is a financial millstone round my neck. I have spent really quite a lot of money maintaining it. Every time the garage has done the MOT and service the report has shown wear, tear and corrosion on something. And something has nearly always broken on it. In the time I have had it the No.1 ignition coil has needed replacing courtesy of the AA, the windscreen wiper blade has split, and both the washer pump and air-con fan motor has broken. That said the car is a nice runner. Not the quickest. But I think it is quite an agile little car. But the fuel costs are low. Having such a small car the engine tank is small meaning it does not need as much fuel as a BMW or Mercedes or Audi. I can go even longer without refuelling due to the time I spend driving. Would it be a good 2nd or 3rd car? No. But excellent as a 1st.

Paul Anderson, Tyne And Wear, November 25th 2013

16V Expression + 5dr

Hi have owned my renault clio sport 200 for 6 months. It was just out of warranty and had a single owner from new but the car was immaculate. The car now has a failed gearbox, binding on all discs and a cd headunit issue after just 20k miles. My biggest frustration is how renault have approach this common fault with their gearboxes. Anyone thinking of buying one of these please check for crunching gears!! If you get caught Renault want Β£2500 to replace this!!! I am devestated to have this repair bill after this mileage, the car has never been tracked and has been serviced in line with renaults own intervals. Renault UK have offered a poor level of contribution but they are missing the point, a premature failure of a critical mechanical part such as the gearbox, should not be expected at this mileage or age. They have acknowledged the unacceptable nature of my issue but havnt really made an effort to effectively resolve it. Β£2500 is 30% of the cars original value. There was me thinking that French cars have improved in terms of build quality, turns out my hopes and expectations of what should have been a brand leading model were in vain. Please take caution when purchasing one of these, the forums explain the full story.

Ben Barnard, bucks, November 15th 2013

16V RenaultSport 200 Cup 3dr

I bought this car as my first car and I couldn't have been happier with it. The over-all driving of the vehicle was lovely and very easy even for an inexperienced driver. The steering was light and very responsive, the brakes and accelerator were both just nicely smooth and responsive and I could feel clearly the exact point of acceleration at which the car started increasing speed instead of maintaining/slowing as soon as it happened. The entire cabin also felt really nice, it was comfortable and had everything in it that I needed really. The only down side being that it didn't have any auxiliary port and therefore I had to buy a whole new stereo to accommodate the fact I wanted to listen to my iPod when driving and had to buy something with a USB port. Even though it was a 1.2l, the fact the car was very light meant it was extremely nippy city driving and the handling was great. Fuel consumption is excellent, I drove from Scotland to England with a full tank of petrol for 9 hours, and still had 3/8 bars remaining (and this lasted me at least 200 miles extra). One of the only cons I had with the car is the fact that sometimes issues did occur, the power assisted steering felt like it started to turn off intermittently leaving it very difficult and harsh to steer, which was the complete opposite of what it mostly was like. The sunroof also had two problems, it leaked when raining, this was fixed, but left it with a god-awful rattle. Recommend this car for a first car

James Addison, Stirlingshire, July 24th 2013

16V Dynamique 3dr

Had this car for 2 weeks now and what a great car!! Smooth, quite and really efficient. It has a big car feel to it. Dash Is very simple...The Fiesta is over the top with far to many controls and buttons to boggle you with. I opted for the R-link system and everything works well. Just one fault you can't seem to turn off the sat nav so every time you come to a speed camera you get and alert and the radio turns on and off. Oh and no CD player just lots of connections for phones/mp3 players/USB stick The Diesel engine is very quite at speed and at idle. It very hard to tell from a petrol.. Even though the car isn't run in from day 1 I got 68mpg around town and I've even got to 88mpg on a motorway/dual carriageway trip to work. I got 720 miles on my first tank so roughly 70mpg!! brilliant!! OVERALL great car and package with 4 years servicing/warranty/roadside. Renault UK customer service SHOCKING!!

Chris Taylor, Essex, June 23rd 2013

dCi 90 Dynamique MediaNav Energy 5dr

Owned this magnificent car for 10 and a half years covering 117k miles - until I stopped at a pedestrian crossing and the driver behind me rammed it to write-off :( I was superbly protected, however, suffering only minor whiplash which disappeared by itself in 3-4 days. During that time it coped admirably with our baby up to exactly 3 years and never missed a beat. Luggage room looks puny but I never found myself struggling even with a baby's paraphernalia. Driving was, well, adequate. 65 bhp is scant, it leaned excessively in bends (especially given the stiffness of the ride) and can oversteer violently if handled even a little too gingerly. Economy was SUPERB! I once had an accident (almost head-on) and the only 'bag not to open was...mine...and I had no-one else on-board. Walked out of it 100% unscathed though. Mechanically, it was super-reliable. Only one injector failed, and although my local dealer stated that I had to buy a complete set of 4 for 920GBP excluding BOTH VAT and labour, I managed to source one second hand (obviously ready-coded) for a mere 80GBP - and that lasted the rest of the life of the car. I have always been meticulous with maintenance - and THAT saved me enormous bills as careless maintenance can cause all sorts of problems. Key is to service regularly with high-quality, low-viscosity oil. No thicker than 10W40 - NEVER use thicker than 10W40 which will only wreck the engine to bits, esp the turbo. I always used 5W40 or 0W40. Electrical? faultless!

Stanley Colombo, May 13th 2013

dCi 65 Expression 5dr

Here i am again with yet another review. Hi my name is Lee a driving instructor owner and boss of LSM Driving school of Ledbury, Herefordshire and his is the only review you need to read, WHY i here you ask ?? I took delivery of the Clio October 2012 its now November 2013 and the car has done 48,000 miles yes thats right 48,000 miles in 11 months thats 4363.63 miles a month give your take a mile or two, the car is giving me 58.8 miles per gallon and that`s with my topbox on the roof which is not the most aerodynamic thing to have on the roof of any car but gives you a good idea if you have a roofrack etc on yours and also remember that most of the time pupils are driving this car not the best economic drivers about. On the motorway keeping a good 65/70 mph i can get upto 68 mpg What gone wrong with the car ZERO NOTHING still has the same clutch, gear box, brake disc and pads in it etc what more can i say. Okay everyone has there likes and dis likes about any car but i love the Clio and Clio number 8 has been ordered and will take delivery mid December. Hope this helps Lee

Lee Sanders, Herefordshire, July 19th 2012

dCi 88 Expression 3dr [Eco Pack]

I bought a 2007 model just under three months ago. I like this car, it makes me smile. It's well built, reliable (so far), flexible (both practically and engine wise) and the interior quality puts its competitors to shame. I live in the Isle of Man, the geography is rather steep, therefore it's near impossible to match the claimed "Combined MPG" figures from the manufactures, getting 90%+ over their figures is good going I'd say. Pros: Flexible engine Revs freely Good gear ratios Interior quality Large boot Reliable (so far) Headlight styling Good sound insulation Standard alloys for this model look good Grippy in the dry Steering feels good, once you get used to it Cons: Doors are large (3dr) Sound system could have more "umph" Brakes are a little "snappy" when cold "Clunky" gear change Brakelight styling Wing mirror styling Rear view mirror position is too low.

Max Ellenberger, Isle of Man, March 12th 2012

TCE Dynamique S 3dr [AC]

Brought in 2010 after having a fantastic 182, car was loaded with 3k of extras, inc Sat Nav, cuppack etc, car developed fault after 1000 miles when cold, could not be fixed, after 9 months of garge visits ened up with dealer stating we could not drive the car properly,and it was meant only for the track, so why the option list, told us to start car and leave on driveway to warm up, change gear at 3500-4000 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, wrote to Renault MD who never responded, but passed to customer service who were terrible, asked me what i wanted to go away, dealer terrible, salesman liedto customer services on what we discussed, mechanics told wife it was software issue then denied,found other drivers with same problem but renault would do nothing, just denied any problem, ended up with selling car at a loss of 5k dealer would only offer 10k on a car worth 17k 9 months before finally got 12k against a different manufacturer Renault UK said they would give me 1k off new car if i returned, will never buy a another renault appalling service, appalling after car service, and after all the good press the car has on its performance we never found out

Ian Winterflood, August 29th 2011

16V RenaultSport 200 Cup 3dr

This is my second review of the car and I've made some slight changes to how I feel about it. I've done 22000 miles without any problems. It is fun to drive on the country roads in which the steering matches the focus, very precise and does pick up when you want to but you have to push it a bit to get the speed you want but you get used to it. It is very practical with the back seats because they fold completly flat by pulling the bottom of the back seat forward and laying the back of the seat down, it then has a flat floor. The only thing about the clio is the computer on the dash board, not very accurate about how many miles to the gallon you are getting and problem one reason why this car would put you off but I've had it on all kinds of different roads and I've never got more than 48mpg but it is a nippy car. This car is 50% better than fiesta once you get used to it but the sad thing is it comes with no spare wheel just a can of foam and a compressor.

Darren Sharrock, Lancs, May 10th 2011

TCE World Series 3dr

I have just sold the car after five years having owned it from new. It is the 1.4 dynamique with AC (the drop down menuse on the web site didnt have this variant listed). The only extras were met paint and panoramic sun roof.The car did 41k miles in our 5 years, firstly as my wifes car and then being used by our teenage son to drive and then he used it during uni. Exyernally, the car still looked fresh with it wearing quite well. Inside, a couple of areas were starting to wear with the trim on the heater knobs starting to crack/delaminate whilst the steering whell developed a strange crease on its top edge. I decided to trade it for a new DS3, beacuse we wanted something more sporty and I got a decentish trade in, Β£3750.One of the drivers was also that the CAM belt and tensioeners needed changing at 5 years (Β£300) and the clutch juddered if the revs werent high on standing starts.It had always had this tendancy but the garage were mooting a new clutch ( an unbelieveable cost of over Β£600), I felt the analysis was wrong but didnt want to invest in an older and now dated model. Only real disappoinment was the fuel consumption...never got past 37mpg.The engine had to be worked hard to move the quite heavy car.It was very comfortable and relaxing to drive, a quite mature car and not a flighty supermini.

mark hanson, Lancashire, September 5th 2010

16V Dynamique 5dr

Owned this car for nearly a year - i added a full body kit and 17inch blacked out alloys, to make it look more like the 'Sport' model Inside the cabin is spacious including all electrics you can think of, built-in bluetooth (for mobile) and part leather seats, climate control that can cool you down just as quick as warm you up, keyless entry and push button start. the car has a 6th gear which does help the fuel consumption on longer jorneys. the engine is powerfull enough (138bhp) to out run even the more 'prestige' of manufactuers. over all the ride comfort is top class, power is as good as you can get with out the full 197bhp, grip is very good and speaking from Experience this is a very safe car!! 5 stars!!!

Andrew Clark, Wiltshire, February 14th 2009

VVT Dynamique S 3dr

Car drives well, it has a good powerful engine, seating is rather nice, better then my 04 Megane, rear is easier to see out of. The space inside even in the rear, is almost as big as my old megane, 60:40 rear is good, tho its a shame the rear bench wont come down. Air con is weaker then my older cars, including my old 51 plate clio, which is a shame, makes it rather hard to cool the car down on a hot day. The rear dash lights dont come on sometimes which means restarting the car, no big deal. I went for xenons, which are good+cornering lights, folding mirrors and extreme blue paint. The car is nice, service prices are very high, as is road tax, the 2.0 engine is fast, tho I would get a smaller less powerful engine next time, tax is too high. I like the car the speed, 0-60 in 8.5seconds, good other if a 197 is too pricey. Love my part leather standard seats!

Tristan Adams, Essex, February 9th 2009

VVT Dynamique S 3dr

I have been very impressed with this car over the three years of ownership. I was able to sell my 55 plate 28,000 miles for 5.5k in December, not too bad in my opinion. I have now replaced it with a Mini Cooper, but considering the vast difference in price between the two cars, I feel any direct comparisons would be unfair. I used it as a third car (Merc E Class estate and VW Eos being the others) but this car never felt like the poor relation and at times I even preferred to use it over the others - for city centre driving the car is perfect. The spec is very impressive for this class of car and was complimented nicely by options such as the panoramic sunroof. Performance is excellent for the size of car and it has proved adept at both town and motorway driving. Economy was top notch and whenever I used it for longer motorway journeys between Nottingham and London, I have achieved 62-64mpg. Space is more than adequate, obviously if you regularly carry 4 passengers you are better off looking at used cars in the class above but for the few occasions the rear was used the space was fine. The seats are comfortable and as a passenger you feel very secure. This car is testimony to how far superminis have come over the last few years - if anyone is looking I certainly recommend you add this car to your shortlist!

Martin Douglas, January 29th 2009

dCi 106 Privilege 5dr

Well, thats me owned this car for a year now so i think i can give an acurate review. This is the best car i have ever owned. Sold a mondeo st for this, and before that i had a golf GT. Reliability i know renault arent the best but this car has never gone wrong once. Done 18,000 miles in a year and just changed the front tyres now. The interior is perfect and comfortable on long jorneys and the air con is freezing! Only complaint is the doors are massive, heavy and can be tough to get out of in tight spaces! apart from that, easily recommend this car, it is perfect!

Dave Currie, Scotland, January 23rd 2009