Renault Megane Coupe (96 - 03) Owner reviews

Bought this as a pre reg car - great price and a great combination of style, sporty chassis and diesel economy. The car is well built, fun to drive and the engine is one of the smoothest and quietest diesels I have ever had. I know that rear space is limited, but not a problem as for most of the time |I use it for myself as a daily driver to work - economy is improving - now done 4000 miles and averaging around 60 mpg - also surprisingly sprightly in the mid-range....great little car

john naunton, March 15th 2015

dCi Dynamique TomTom Energy 3dr

john naunton, March 15th 2015

dCi 110 Dynamique TomTom 3dr [Start Stop]

I nearly didn't buy this car having looked at the 'What Car' reviews. Luckily I looked around at other reviews and discovered that What Car seemed to be somewhat niggardly with its ratings on this one. I had owned a Mini Cooper which to my surprise had proven immensely unreliable and costly, and having lost faith I needed a quick change and I picked up a 1.5 DCI with S/S technology at a very reasonable discount. I have to say the car is great, very economical and containing every gadget you can think of it's comfortable and appealing on the eye. It has enough room in the back for the Kids and the boot is a good size and it's zero rated for road tax. Visibility to the rear is restricted and you need to keep your wits about you reversing into a tight space so the reversing warning option would be a good one for many. The performance is not at all bad and she kicks along quite nicely on the motorway, the engine is very quiet and the road noise more than acceptable. The steering is a little light, especially having come from the very direct feel of the Mini, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. So all in all, cheap to buy, cheap to run, good looking and with great features as standard, sufficient room for most uses and reasonable if not super performance. I would certainly recommend this car and think 2 stars is completely under rating it. I drive many different cars at work and think this is very competitve car in terms of overall looks, economy and practicality.

Ray Howard, Oxfordshire, August 9th 2013

dCi 110 Dynamique TomTom 3dr EDC

Although I yet to own this car, having had a test drive, I am having to wonder how tall the guys are that test these cars are? I am 6'1 and a half and I managed to sit bolt up with an inch of head room left, my legs never felt cramped, and the comfort was fantastic! Styling on the interior is a little bland, but to be honest this isn't highly important. The exterior is really impressive, some parts look a little cheap, but it really is a good sign that renault is at last taking styling serious. Whilst the engine sizes may not be overly powerful, they are plenty good enough for the legal limit, plus low emissions on the expressions dci version makes ownership very reasonable! Anyone looking for an entry level coupe this is your car.

Andrew Chorley, February 21st 2009

dCi 106 Dynamique 3dr

I have a 96P 2.0 16v Coupe and its fantastic, these cars are now pretty much worthless, even really good ones are hard to sell for anything more than Β£800-Β£900 and they are a fantastic buy, there no where near as unreliable as people think and there simple to work on and maintain yourself. The 2.0 16v coupe is quick and when your driving normally it will happly do 35 - 40 mpg which isn't bad for the sort of car it is. The car really is great fun to drive, you can really throw it into bends and the steering has loads of feel. Its far better to drive than the new version! The brakes are very good and so is the standard equipment you get. These cars really are bargins for the money I really dont think there is much else out there thats better.

Paul Wilkinson, November 6th 2008

2dr

On balance this car is not in the class of a BMW, Mercedes or Audi but then again its not in the same money bracket either. As a value for money coupe, fully loaded with all the creature comforts including, leather, air con, electric windows, mirrors and sunroof, trip computer and decent factory rds radio cassete with 6 cd changer, this car is great fun. The 2.0 litre ide engine is quite responsive and pushes out 150 bhp which moves the car at a swift pace. Great economy; I average around 38mpg and this model doesn't seem to suffer the same harshness or noise that the 1.4 and 1.6 engined models commented on in other reviews. Cheap to insure and maintain it offers fun and economical motoring in style. My car is finished in light pearlescent grey metallic and looks great at all angles; attracting lots of admiring looks. I would recommend this model to any prospective purchaser looking for something a little different from the mainstream yet is great value, economical and fun. Interior trim quality is pretty good although the hard plastics do tend to mark easily. The leather is comfortable and appears to be hard wearing as at 60k miles there is no sign of wear on the bolsters as is often seen on sports cars. Mechanically the car has not caused us any concerns with only the usual wear and tear items having to be replaced.

Paul Robertson, North Yorkshire, August 24th 2006

16V IDE Privilege + 2dr

This is a very competant and well priced car. I had the high-specification Monaco variant with full leather interior, CD autochanger and so on. Overall, it was a very handsome coupe! It was great fun to drive and very nippy, but the Renault build quality was poor - the side electric windows at the back failed one fine day and the trip computer on the column suddenly died. The gearbox was notchy and often had difficulty engaging on gearchanges. It was very noisy on the motorway. I suspect that, due to the performance emphasis, it had short gearing to get maximum pick up rather than comfortable cruising. Other than that, it was a very cheap, affordable, stylish means of motoring. I wish Renault continued to build such cars - the new ones are simply horrendous to look at. After all, just look at the Vel Satis and Avantime - although who is buying new Meganes, I wonder?

Gulfrazz Khan, Essex, April 6th 2006

16V Monaco 2dr

I have owned this vehicle for over two years now, and I am very happy with the vehicle in every way. Despite the design being on the market since 1996, the car continues to look modern, sporty and slick, and it is very fun to drive. It has excellent fuel economy and the 1.6 16v engine is a good performer. On board equipment is of a very high standard. Other than a defective wheel bearing, I have had no problems with the car. It only needs servicing every 20,000 miles, therefore running costs are very low for such a vehicle. I'd certainly recommend this car to anyone. It's a pity that Renault discontinued this car back in early 2003. I used to own a Megane 1.6 Sport Alize coupe and was involved in a very bad accident which resulted in the car being written off. Had I had such an accident in any other vehicle, it would have been doubtful whether I would have survived - both the driver and passenger airbags proved invaluable, together with other safety features of the car.

Stuart Proud, Tyne & Wear, March 29th 2006

16V Dynamique + 2dr

I have had this car for two months now. The car has fantastic styling and the colour to go for is yellow. The only downside of the car is that it's very noisy on motorways. The gear stick moves around when you accelerate, which I find annoying and frustrates me when driving. If you are looking to get a coupe, then this is the car for you - it has loads of kit including air conditioning, an on-board computer, and alloy wheels. It's good fun to drive, too. There's not a car out there in the price range which can beat it.

sean doyle, cheshire, January 1st 2006

16V 2dr

I love this car, and am having great difficulty in finding a replacement because Renault is no longer manufacturing this model. I love the interior, and you get a lot for your money when you compare the Coupe with other makes. It's safe, very reliable and provides good miles to the gallon, too. The new Megane hatch just isn't as special as the old coupe, and I don't want to go to the expense of buying the Coupe Cabrolet. I've driven many other cars and none comes up to the Coupe's standards.

elaine Gibbons, Northumberland, August 17th 2005

16V Dynamique + 2dr

On first driving this car I thought it was exactly what I was looking for - cheap to buy, cheap to run and a little bit sporty, good brakes and steering wheel mounted controls that were fun to play with. However I think the fact that I have now sold this car within seven months gives you an excellent idea of what the car is like to own - soon enough you'll grow bored of playing with the little meaningless toys and finally realise that actually it's not very good after all. It's noisy - extremely if at motorway speeds - and although this can be a bit of fun at lower speeds it will soon become very tedious. The coil pack on car has blown once resulting with the car running on thee cylinders and having spoke to other people with the same car this seems to be a major problem - one person having to have this sorted four times in just two years. Overall, a decent car as long as you're not expecting much and quality of interior trim isn't high on your list of priorities.

Tim MacDonald, June 11th 2005

16V Privilege + 2dr

Buyers have a wide choice of engines, including an eight- and 16-valve 1.4-litre. There’s also 1.6 and 1.8 petrol units, plus two 1.9 turbodiesels. All are strong and flexible for their size, delivering good driveability. The 1.6 is the best bet – it’s nippy, fuel efficient and cheaper to buy than either of the turbodiesels. Avoid jerky autos. Early variants rode well, but lacked precision and leaned through corners. A change in set-up accompanied the ’99 update, endowing later cars with better body control over bumpy roads. Unfortunately, the downside was a loss of suppleness - replaced by a firmness over most surfaces that can unsettle passengers. All engines are smooth and reasonably hushed until they are pushed beyond their comfort zone. Road noise and suspension thud are reasonably well suppressed. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for wind noise, which whistles around the screen and mirrors and is ever-present at motorway speeds.

Sergio Sousa, October 21st 2004