TDI CR 90 Elegance 5dr

This is an incredibly impressive car. Bought 18 months ago from Murray skoda in Newton abbot (superb service) we have now done c.20k miles. The car was originally bought for my wife to use locally but I now use it for a 500 mile weekly commute Instead of en e class. Why? It is very comfortable, seats are supportive, visibility good, nice interior and stable enough at 70-80mph unless there is very heavy wind or rain. It is also quite fun to drive. Stereo and iPod link works well. Cost wise, we average a genuine 52mpg all in, near or over 60 mpg on a run. Nothing has gone wrong at all. Front tyres now down to nearly 3mm backs at 5mm. Servicing is free as part of the deal but again Murray have been superb to deal with throughout. Insurance cheap. Would we buy again, yes.

James Arnold, December 23rd 2013

TSI vRS 5dr DSG

It's exactly what I wanted - practical, big enough and fun to drive. It has VAG parts and reliability and I still can't think of a car I would like more in the price range.

David Getter, Beds, August 18th 2013

TDI PD 3 5dr

After 5000 miles of ownership, I now feel confident this is the most complete car I have owned. Admittedly its not the trendiest or most expensive car I have had, but it is the best. It is comfortable, usefully nippy, good handling, solid, reliable, cheap to run and swallows masses of gear in the large boot. I'm so glad I passed the badge snobbery as otherwise I would have missed out on this bargain and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

David Rose, January 25th 2009

12V Ambiente 5dr 64hp

I never tought that I'd be writing a review to raving about how good a Skoda is but here I am! We went for the 1.2 70HP model as this is our second car and we just wanted a little runaround. The drive is excellent and the economy very good. We average around 48mpg. Service at our local dealership is good, excellent when compaired to my experiences in dealerships of other makes. We've had a few little niggles, for instance the petrol flap wouldn't close and the release for the rear drivers seat didn't work, but these problems were fixed and they were pretty minor. I always get out of this car with a smile on my face. It's not the fastest by any means but it's very comfortable, cheap, reliable and I think excellent value for money. I would recommend a Skoda to anyone that hasn't tried one yet. I have to admit, I am a badge snob that has seen the light!

colin more, aberdeenshire, September 6th 2008

Classic 5dr

This was my second Fabia 1.4 8v petrol Classic Estate. My first was to the basic Classic spec, new in March 2001, and covered 33,000 miles in 15 months with no problems. Part-exchanged in May 2002 for this one new with ABS, Aircon and Electric Sunroof as factory options. Covered 121,000 miles in 5.5 years. Very few problems in service, all sorted by brilliant Skoda Dealer. Recently part-exchanged for new 1.4 16v 80 bhp Bohemia Estate (still the mark one) plus some extra options giving me the ultimate spec. Done 9,500 miles so far with mpg running around 43 and rising as engine runs-in. All three cars totally brilliant, the nicest cars to drive, great design, appealing shape, solidly built, doors shut with that solid clunk that very few other makes have these days. Recommend Michelin Energy Tyres - 40,000 miles from the fronts and 70,000 miles from the rears. 70,000 miles from front brake pads too! I don't drive fast but I don't crawl around either. My latest car indicating 52 mpg at 70 mph on recent motorway run! Overall - just the best, brilliant. Well done Skoda.

Richard Weston, Oxfordshire, September 6th 2008

Classic 5dr

Ive always loved the fabia. Wanted one for ages prior to this test run. Its a good small car with a much bigger car feel. Looks good in the right spec (except all the new models are horrid!) Took this 1.4 petrol estate version for an extensive test run. Liked the idea of something this size with the economy of a 1.4 but it was too underpowered (which i did expect). But something was up with this perticular car though, with only 10k on the clock, 2 yr old car from a Skoda dealer - the radiator exploded during the test drive... messy! Despite the salesperson trying their best to convinve me the car had been fixed when i went back a couple of days later this incodent put me off entirely. I do still think its a very nice car, good quality inside. Loads of space in the estate - massive boot. If you want a car of this size & prize, dont be a badge snob - its just a VW Polo in drag - just dont kill it on the test drive like i did. Basic models are very basic, and ive never seen anyone driving them under the age of 104 unless its the stonking VRS version.

Andrew Hood, July 18th 2008

TDI PD 80 2 5dr

I've now owned my new Fabia 2 1.4 TDI PD 80 diesel Estate for over four months. I've only covered some 2,500 miles of very mixed motoring, but the car is performing brilliantly. I have had no problems with it, the only new car I've had where it hasn't needed lots of things doing to it! My previous review is accurate...but I can now say the economy is superlative. Using it with a heavy town bias, and a very small amount of short urban trips the car continually gives 53mpg. On longer trips on motorways, dual carriage ways etc...the fuel economy improves to 65-68mpg with 70.9mpg the best it has ever attained on a longish trip. Admittedly, I didn't exceed 65mph during that run. I'm very pleased with the car and the quality of the vehicle speaks for itself. Go buy one!

Ian Welham, Essex, June 22nd 2008

TDI PD 80 3 5dr

i choose the fabia 3 tdi est as my new company car after reading a few reviews, which were all favourable. i had initally thought about a vw golf and for the same money i got the skoda for it was barely getting me the basic golf. i have had the car since the 1st of may and i can do nothing but praise the car and a few colleagues and freinds are amazed at the car for its looks, build quality.I was reading an article yesterday that the fabia won a which mag award for reliability so we cant argue with that.the only downside is the engine noise when idling,but who cares tell me what car is better value for money.

john moore, north lanarkshire, June 21st 2008

TDI PD Ambiente 5dr

I bought my 56 Reg TDi 1.9 from a Skoda main dealer a few months back. I got roof bars put on (which are standard on the Elegance ersion). t needs them to look right. It is near faultless. Great performance when you hit that band of power and it's comfortable, very economical and has all the bits I need (except for rear parking sensors). My only niggle, and it's a big-ish one is that the car follows the camber of the road too well. For motorway driving it pulls to the left really annoyingly. It's been to the dealers and they say there's nothing wrong. Common Fabia issue apparently. If you are thinking of buying one, try it on the motorway. I'd still buy another one though.

Steve Olive, May 2nd 2008

TDI PD 80 Ambiente 5dr

Bought 1.4TDi Estate new Mar 2006. Now 7600 miles. Car very good but marked down by severe vibration resonating through body between 1500/2000rpm, even on overrun downhill! Two Skoda dealers, two Skoda techies, Skoda UK, Skoda CZ, VAG were not aware of this vibration until I demonstrated to the Skoda techies, then Skoda advised the exhaust is same spec as fitted to hatch, but the vibration is due to the longer estate body and 'is a normality' that nobody knows about. Running with tailgate open almost eliminates resonance. Skoda is unwilling to cure and now ignoring me. Appreciate if anybody can tell me the cause, and the cure.

Brian Hauxwell, April 3rd 2008

TDI Comfort 5dr

Had this car over 5 years - 75,000 miles of trouble-free, enjoyable motoring. My first Skoda, don't expect it to be my last. Considering the size of the car the boot is big and practical. The diesel returns 50 mpg+. The engine is surprisingly quiet and refined even when pushed hard and there is little wind noise at higher speeds. Bumps/uneven road surfaces soaked up effortlessly. Interior build quality is good, although equipment levels only average and fascia looks bland. Considering the low price of this car, value for money is hard to beat. Looking out for new estate model due next year.

Derek Aitken, Merseyside, November 16th 2007

TDI PD 80 Bohemia 5dr

The old Fabia Estate (see previous review) was sold at 82,000 miles and I have now purchased a 1.4TDi Bohemia Estate to replace it - it's an ex-demo car with 8000 miles on the clock. It is already delivering the goods with over 60mpg seen at every tankful. Reading some other reviews would emphasise the need to buy from a reputable dealer or have a full AA/RAC check done on the car. I feel it's unfair to mark the car a low score when it was obviously not looked after or in good nick in the first place! So don't be put off by others' mistakes - the Fabia estate is a good little car, economical to run and has plenty of space, and in my experience of nearly 100,000 miles' use of them, extremely reliable! One thing that has always puzzled me is that the What Car? review says that it is beaten for luggage space by some rivals, but as its only direct rival is the 206, which it beats easily, I'm not sure where they are coming from! It combines the smaller size of a supermini with the boot capacity of the Focus/Astra sized car!

Blair Hobson, November 3rd 2007

SDI Classic 5dr

This car is lovely to drive and good on fuel, but service history is the keyword with this vehicle. I bought a used one for Β£1000 under book price with no service history from a friend that had been "serviced" by his mate. It has just cost over Β£1000 to get it through its MOT! If it has a power steering light showing, avoid it. A new pump for the system is Β£450 and you can only buy a new one from Skoda.It takes a couple of hours to fit it as well. If it does have a power steering fault, it may be the centre angle sensor if you are lucky, which costs Β£71. Mine also had leaky brake cylinders (Β£200 to get fixed including new pads and labour). Also bear in mind that a new cambelt kit is Β£250 from Skoda (but you can just buy the belt for Β£34! Not recommended by Skoda, though)and this needs changing at 60K miles. It is not a VW, however good the PR is from Skoda. Eastern European Engineering at German service prices...Perhaps the worst of both worlds?

Geraint Evans, November 1st 2007

TDI Comfort 5dr

I have owned this car since July 2002 and have clocked up 83,000 miles. Absolutely no reliability problems over the past 5 years It has run like a dream and is by far the best car that I have owned. The 1.9TDi engine is a gem, providing excellent economy around town (in excess of 50mpg if driven with care) with plenty of performance on the open road (and fuel economy of 60+mpg). A real wolf in sheeps clothing if you want it to be!! Am now looking to replace the car and have looked at bigger cars (Octavia, Mazda 3, Mazda 6 etc.), but it is very difficult to find a better car Β£ for Β£ than the Fabia diesel estate.

Steve Harrison, Worcestershire, October 28th 2007

16V Elegance 5dr [AC]

i borought my first skoda, which is 4 years old, after a few months i started to have a lot of problem which i still have skoda. Skoda's head office do not want to have to deal with any off the problem even after having taken it in to them, even after seeing it the after care with them is wrong. i would never buy a skoda again.

Alpa Desai, Uk, July 1st 2007

TDI PD Elegance 5dr [AC]

We bought the car in March. Once run in, it averages at least 50mpg. It feels solidly made, and is currently rattle-free. It feels more "busy" to drive than our other car - a Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 CDTi. but compares surprisingly well for a much cheaper car.

Simon Barrett, June 18th 2007

16V Elegance 5dr [AC]

Actually its the 1.4 16v 75 Elegance estate. Bought this car 4 years old last spring as a second car. Later on it was a temporary family car for 8 months, carrying five people plus luggage on holiday. Its covered 12,000 miles in the year, round Europe (5 up) round Britain and round town. Firstly we couldn't believe how much stuff you could get into the boot, then with three teenagers on the back seat (thats an acheivement it itself) it still accelerated well, cruised at 80mph and acheived 45mpg, truly amazing. It drives like a dream and so far has been a pleasure to own. Only a couple of niggles, its failed to start twice, then after 15 minutes started and ran perfectly, and the engine once stopped dead on the outside lane of the M25 (scary) then started again - the dealer has no iead why - by the way Β£300 for a minor service seems a lot! Ground clearance is also very low, take care over spead bumps, but it does make the car look great. No doubt that I will buy another one YES! - soon the family car will be an Octabvia L&K estate and this will go back to being a second car.

n m, March 28th 2007

SDI Classic 5dr

My last review of my Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI Estate was in March last year. I have now 88.000 miles on the mileometer and the 1.9 diesel has again proven exceptional. The cambelt was replaced at 59.949 miles as advised by the Skoda dealer and at the same time I replaced the water pump as as precaution. The car still has the original exhaust and has had no mechanical problems. I have used budget tyres and have been getting good mileage out of them with one budget tyre doing more than 37.000 miles. The make was Hero and of course it was made in China!

Willem Eckhart, Essex, March 10th 2007

TDI Comfort 5dr

I have owned this car since new in 2001, and it has done just over 70,000 miles. I use it on a daily commute of 20 miles and get 57mpg, on longer runs on the motorway at 70mph it does over 60! It has travelled all over Europe and is an excellent "autobahn" car, cruising quite happily at an indicated 100mph where allowed. The boot in this estate version is easily as big, if not bigger, than any hatch in the class above but has the advantage that the car itself is smaller and easier to park! Only tow things have gone wrong in 6 years, the electonic steering bax needed relacing after 3 1/2 years and a very small piece of trim fell off, thats it, despite being used and abused by my family! Thoroughly recomended, much, much better value than any supermini hatchback and far better value than its only estate competition, the 206! Why get a mini-mpv like the Note or Meriva when the Fabia Estate does it better AND has more room!

Blair Hobson, February 16th 2007

Classic 5dr

I purchased due to cheap running cost (average around 47 mpg on 21 mile commute) and good boot space. Plus pack adds electric windows and central locking and air conditioning have proved good upgrades and didn't add much to the cost. I have completed 50000 miles in 4 years. Engine management warning light has come on a couple of times but sorted by the garage at no cost (quick clean of a sensor). Servicing is reasonably priced and my local skoda specialist are reliable and friendly (they used to be a main dealer). No other problems and apart from one tyre have only had to pay for routine servicing. I have marked it down 1* on the cabin because the seats could be more comfortable (could be an issue with the classic). On the road one of the more powerful variants would be useful going up steep hills wirh 4 passengers and luggage.

Dean Sephton, W Sussex, January 18th 2007