JLX 3dr

I absolutely love this car. The high driving position gives excellent visibility and easy to park. And I love it's small rugged looks I fitted 4x4 mud tyres to my car to give even better off road abilities (never got stuck). The ride is a bit bumpy over small bumps but it doesn't bother me the only bat point I have to say about it is the fuel economy.

Cameron Cheesman, Kent , February 17th 2015

JLX 3dr

What on earth made me buy this car? A very persuasive salesman... Plodding, that's the best way to describe the Jimny. Looks like it was born in a bygone era, puny and inefficient engine. It has beam axles at both ends, a high seating position, a short wheelbase. You can speculate on the result. A pogo stick is more satisfactory through a series of curves. The long-travel suspension copes quite well with huge bumps, but shudders on smaller ones. It is just possible to buy a slower-accelerating car elsewhere. Just about. But the plucky little 1.3 engine does a fair job, and certainly delivers all the performance that the chassis can handle. Useless for the towing. It's noisy and cramped inside. The Jimny has heavy duty engineering, but a distinctly off-hand approach to fripperies like soft-feel plastics or chrome-edged dials. With only four seats and a small cargo bay the Jimny can't carry either. It does have one advantage as a town car: it's tiny and boxy so it's easy to park. Which is just as well as you'll be dying to stop and get out as it's so uncomfortable. It's so cheap it's practically disposable... I'm disposing of mine as soon as I can find someone silly enough to buy it!

Ian Wiebkin, England: Surrey, November 24th 2014

VVT SZ4 3dr

I love this car! I have driven my automatic now for a couple of weeks and it gives me lots of pleasure. It reminds me of true motoring fun where you're aware of the vehicle handling over roads and all the wonderful mechanical noises emanating from the engine and the vehicle. I even enjoy driving it on motorways, I don't find it takes an age to get to 60 - 70 mph (plenty fast for me), noise is just fine. It's fun to drive, is economical and every ride is satisfying. Around town it's easy to handle, parking is easy, and the high driving position gives a wonderful view of the road in all directions. I don't know why people try to compare it to a silky smooth saloon car because that's not what the Jimny is about. I went on a 'Jeep Safari' in Majorca recently, drove a JImny and fell in love with it straight away. Couldn't believe how good it was over rutted dirt tracks. Just had to buy one when I got back to the UK. Improvements I'd like to suggest to Suzuki would be: 1. diesel engine with auto gearbox (I only drive autos), 2. climate control air conditioning, 3. parking sensors as standard (I always fit these to all the cars I own). Can't wait for the journey to work tomorrow and the driving in the coming years of ownership! So, ignore what most of the motoring press say, read the owner reviews and try it yourselves - with the right attitude I'm sure you'll like it. If you don't then I'm afraid you're just not the 'Jeep' vehicle type so go for the silky smooth types.

narinder chander, September 4th 2013

VVT JLX + 3dr

I have had my Jimny a couple of months now and I am very attached to it. A lot of professional reviews give the Jimny a low score but lots of owners love it. As a small 4x4 it isn't going to be a luxury drive - reviewers drive some very expensive cars. If you have just driven the latest Aston Martin or Range Rooney I guess the Jimny won't measure up well against them. My previous vehicle was a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 crew van and it was not nearly as good as the Jimny to drive. The Combo had much worse wind noise, I didn't like the seats, engine noise was louder, it leaked water so the floor was permanently wet and it cost me a fortune in parts over 4 years. I expect the Jimny to be much more reliable as it was built in Japan. I really enjoy driving the Jimny, liking the high driving position and the way it tackles the increasing number of potholes in our roads. I don't mind the limited top speed and find it a comfortable drive at 60 on the motorway. I like the engine note and considering what the reviews say I don't find I have to push the engine hard. I guess this is a 'Marmite' car. It has a lot of character and you will love or hate it. I expect to stick with it for a long time and wouldn't trade it for a 'eurobox'. My main complaint is that they never sold the diesel here - if they brought in a 1.5 diesel I would be after a new one.

Ray Paterson, Gloucestershire, August 7th 2013

VVT JLX + 3dr

If this was my only car, then I would not be writing this. My other vehicle is a Mercedes C220CDi Sport( see separate review). I bought the Jimny in November to replace an old Peugeot 106, I do a fair bit of field work when out on farms and like a second car to use in local area. For this it serves it purpose well, I am in fact surprised how good it is after reading press reviews. It sounds sweet, looks cute, does 60-70 without any problems on a longer run, anything more and the engine revs a bit, but the road noise is really quiet. Its never going to handle like a hot hatch, but then it is not one, its got plenty of toys and it gets far more comment and laughter with friends than the Mercedes would ever get. Off road it more than copes. If you have a large dog, a family or need to carry a fair amount of luggage, use motorways a lot, then this car is not for you. Otherwise give it a try, I hope you would be surprised as me. I paid Β£5000, its an 07 plate, done 7500 miles, bargain I say.

anthony gant, suffolk, February 1st 2009

VVT JLX + 3dr

We live in real 4x4 country with a 1/4 mile track at a gradiant of 1 in 4 to get to the house. The Jimny is a second car, our main car is LandRover Freelander which cost 3 times the price of the Jimny. In context its a great 2nd car and is used daily for a 70 mile round trip to work without problem. It is easy to park, good mpg for a 4x4, good in bad weather both on and off road if driven based on the road or ground conditions) and reliable. Have only had one probelm from the day we bought the car new in 2008, a wheel shake at 45mph. The supplying dealer, new to Suzuki and who is also a Ford main dealer, in 6 months was as much use as a chocolate fire guard. The next dealer 75 miles away in Shrewsbury solved the problem, spoke with Suzuki and 24 hours later received permission for 2 new 5 spoke alloy wheels unde the vehicles warranty. They also fitted under the warranty, new front brakes pads and discs without any question or doubt - problem solved. I will always prefer my LandRover for the main car, but you get what you pay for and if you need a cheap and realiable 4x4 the Jimny does the job.

andy statham, gwynedd, July 31st 2008

VVT JLX 3dr

This car has to be seen in context. For a true 4X4, it is very cheap to buy and run - mine was Β£7499 on the road new, including the metallic paint option. I bought mine to replace an old SJ410 and it felt like a Land Rover Discovery in comparison. It is best seen as a practical two seater that can take a reasonable load, with the alternative facility to seat four plus minimal luggage for short journeys as required. On the plus side, the 4X4 ability is legendary (look at some of the recordings on YouTube to see what the car is capable of), the engine is smooth, the ride acceptable and the equipment quite comprehensive for something at this price. It is also pleasingly small when negotiating tight parking slots, yet doesn't feel small to drive and has excellent visibility. On the negative side, oddment storage space is quite limited. Also, you wouldn't want to drive this car very quickly into a tight corner and the ride can be somewhat unsettled, when encountering "bumps in the road", especially when cornering. You would not, however buy this car if your primary interest was in driving as quickly as you can from A to B. You would buy it if you wanted a cheap, tough, versatile vehicle that will cope with any weather condition that the UK can throw at you. My quite high rating of this car is based on this type of usage and in performing this function, I am highly delighted with the vehicle.

Wesley Vernon, Derbyshire, July 4th 2008

VVT JLX + 3dr

Hi, I've just had a 48 hour test drive in a Jimny, and I have to say, I loved it what a great little vehicle. Granted it may be 'rough round the edges,' but what a fun vehicle. The mpg isn't the best and I think the road tax is expensive. I own a Suzuki sx4, and I'm looking to downsize, hence the test drive. Happy motoring. Pete.

Peter Moody, West Yorkshire, June 5th 2008

VVT JLX + 3dr

Changed the auto for a manual because I will be doing more towing. What a difference!, the lower gearing (approx 18mph per thousand in 5th)suits the engine characteristics much better and the vehicle feels much more responsive in all conditions.The feather light clutch and gear change are a pleasure to use, and I am averaging 40-43mpg.I Towed the Teardrop to the lake district last month and got 36mpg.Although I liked the auto for town use I am really pleased with the manual and look forward to putting some serious miles on it.

Simon Layton, Herts, April 2nd 2008

VVT JLX + 3dr

I went and got this we jimny and i myself think it firstclass and so do other people in my family and friends. i have had many cars before and love this car. My mum and dad have the new freelander 2 and have taking it off road and got it stuck and had to pull it out with my new we jimny. i myself are friends with the landrover off roading club and they took my we jimny off road and say it would do beter than the range rover dico2 and 3 and even the freelander 2. its up with the defender. a world of its own. on road it good to it has hard ley any body roll to the old ones. i get nealy get 39mpg and its so smooth and quite but boot room is small and leg room for people in the back is small to. i love it got it there 2weeks ago. and u get leather in it to wich what car dose not say..... u get alot with it.. frist class we 4x4. i would say try 0ne your self and see what u think

Mark Allen, October 20th 2007

VVT JLX + 3dr

If you want perfect comfort and luxury, go spend 70 grand on a range rover top end, but please don't be cross when I pass you stuck in the middle of a field. This is a "what it says on the tin" type of car, its a cheap 4X4 that can give the big guys a run for their money off road, I tried in vane, but could NEVER get it stuck, narrow country lanes that would rip the mirros off a 4litre monster, this can glide up them, deep ruts....eats them for breakfast and still wants more. Town driving is quite good, the only bad thing i could say about it is the boot space, I am now selling this car to go a little bit bigger to the grand vitara, BUT, I am very saddened to do so, i love this car to bits, its a lot of fun to drive, take it down the beach, wherever, you wont regret buying this if you want a cheap 4X4 that can go places!

Robert Thomas, Anglesey, August 28th 2007

JLX Mode 3dr

If you are over 5 ft 8 in tall, and not slim, look elsewhere. I gather off road it is pretty unstoppable. But its untennable on road, its awful to drive, notchy gearbox, cart sprung, it makes my old and long gone Land Rover series 2a, of 1970 vintage seem like a luxury car. If you must buy one, dont be foolish, wait for the bought from new owner to get fed up, and buy it second hand. I would expect that there are small people who love it to bits, especially if their own driving ability is limited. But there are far better cars available, for much less money. Dont be tempted.

John McCulloch, East Dunbartonshire, June 16th 2007

JLX 3dr

This is an excellent 4x4, but not a highway car. If you buy it for 4x4 driving it's one of the best - there are very few bolt-on aftermarket parts though. Running costs are miniscule. My overall rating reflects its 4x4 ability .

p g, June 14th 2007

O2 3dr

I bought the Jimny with my eyes wide open, i.e. this vehicle looks cute on the outside, but it is a real 4x4, the smallest and cheapest I could get to do the job. It is not as an SUV or Bimbomobile if you want a high levels of speed and comfort; the suspension is hard, there's not much room inside, not suitable over 60mph and it only does 30-35mpg. I got it as a personal runaround and for hunting for which the soft tops are perfect. My lane floods over 12 inches deep sometimes and it goes through this without a problem. Add decent 50/50 AT tyres and the Jimny can get over ploughed fields, large ruts and through mud that my friends Hilux can't. It would be nice to have the flexibility of a diesel engine but at least it makes you use the 4x4 and low-gear range to compensate for it. It has had no mechanical problems yet except for a few of the soft top snap-on fasteners breaking. So in short, I didn't buy it to take the kids to school, barge people off the road, impress the chaps at the club or to consume huge amounts of fuel and I'm not scared to get it muddy!

Alan George, Norfolk, June 8th 2007

JLX 3dr

I have had my Jimny since 2000, and it has been a great car overall. It has got me out of trouble in the snow and through ice and floods in country lanes. It is narrow and ideal for the narrow country lanes where I live. It gets unstable over 60mph, though, especially in the wind, and it is best to have a cushion on the seats as they are uncomfortable. I like the high driving position, I would consider buying another one as they are great value for money.

Karen Clarke, Somerset, June 5th 2007

O2 3dr

I have owned my Jimny from new( 2004) and have had no trouble with it at all (so far!). The cabin space is a little compact, with no room for shopping, but thats what my husbands car is for!. It is due it's first m.o.t. in July this year, but as it has required little, or no, work on servicing, I am confident it will be ok. It can wallow a bit like a pregnant hippo if you corner too tight,so the answer is don't! Off road it is great fun to drive, nothing has fazed it yet and it has faced a few challenges. i would only swap my "jimmy" for another and, if I could have one wish, I would like easier access to the(small!) boot space. The only way in is to unpop the back of the soft top and, in a rainy supermarket carpark that's no fun at all!!

Anne Henderson, Lancashire, March 31st 2007

VVT JLX 3dr

I inherited this 2003 auto from my partner. I have driven it at motorway speeds without any problem, and, accepting it for what it is, find it a great little runaround. However, it has only done 27,000 miles from new, and recently developed a tendency to overheat. I put it into the local Suzuki dealer who diagnosed a blocked radiator core, and wanted nearly Β£500 to fix it. When I said no, the response was rude, negative and obstructive. The problems I had getting the car back were awful, and in the end had to pay Β£35 for them to release it, with very bad grace, after they had tried to charge me Β£70 for 'diagnosis'. I sources a new radiator from a supplier on the net, and replaced it in under an hour for under Β£100. The car is fine, but it seems my experience of Suzuki dealers is similar to other reviews I have read. You have been warned!

Kevin Flynn, Suffolk, March 14th 2007

VVT JLX + 3dr

I have owned a Jimy Estate now for just under a year, and frankly I am rather disappointed! It is amy first car and it is great, but I have had problems, and some could have caused an accident. Firstly my steering keeps on playing up, even three local garages don't understand why this is happening. Secondly, I have had to have all my tyres re-balanced/ Thirdly, the tracking keeps on going, so wheneever I hit 50mph my steering wheel starts shaking violently, I had this sorted about 5 months ago and its going again! Fourth, one of the lights of my dash has lit up and no one seems to understand what it means except something to do with engine maintenance! So overall not completely impressed with the car, lack of space and at the moment I am only getting maximum of 35mpg. And thats maximum! Frankly I am appalled and looking at getting a new car already! Although it is rather good on greenlanes, would not like to risk total offroad course, as I have no mods, and don't particularly trust the tow eyes, especially as it is most likely that a V8 Discovery would end up pulling me out of a huge hole. Happy motoring!

Jenny Hale, West Yorkshire, February 24th 2007

VVT JLX + 3dr

I have owned a 2002 Jimny Special Estate for almost three years now. I find this little 4x4 a nice little drive - I have just today traded it in and was suprised to recieve a good enough return. The only downside to this Jeep was the fuel consumption - I lived at BP! I travel quite a bit with work, and initially bought this 4x4 due to rural living conditions. It is truly a great off-roader, although slightly bumpy and a bit shaky on the motorway. Over 60mph, though, watch that fuel needle fall. For fun and looks I think it was great. I really will be sad to see it go, but I needed more room, something the Jimny was not providing. I have gone for a Peugeot 307 - after reading the reviews on here, I am very, very nervous!

Gavin O'Hare, Antrim, February 16th 2007

VVT JLX + 3dr

i moved from england 6 months ago with my family to spain.we drove over in our x reg ford escort 1600cc.We were going to keep it , but with all the problems owning a right hand drive in spain,we decided to go for a l/h spanish vehicle.A month ago we found a beauty.its a jimny 1500cc diesel hardtop .With only 1700km on the clock and one owner.i initially thought it was a soft top with a hard top roof, but on the day of purchase realised it was factory fitted and not removeable.Still, it is a stunner in royal blue, and i can take out the sunroof.It drives well,but is a bit restricted in the cabin,with little room for rear passengers.but its worth suffering these niggles, and we have the economy of the diesel engine.the main problem is that the manuel is in spanish.I also have a trailer ,but no towbar.I am enquiring about this at the moment , as well as for bullbars{needed in spain with the atrocious drivers},and a rear spare wheel cover.there are no suzuki dealers n the vicinity , but i hope to find a good garage for servicing.

terry mealing, January 28th 2007