Toyota Auris Hatchback (07 - 09) Owner reviews

I have had my Auris Hybrid for just over a month now having come from a 1.5Dci Nissan Qashqai (2011). It can return excellent fuel economy results but it is all in how you drive it. If you drive smoothly and slowly you can achieve very high mpg. If you are keeping up with stop start traffic you will achieve average mpg. Personally, I don't see this as a bad thing, I have the choice of whether to save money or to get where I am going quickly, others do not. The tank is about half the size of the Qashqai, meaning more frequent stopping, after doing the math it does work out at about 30% more efficient than the diesel for my driving style. I would add that the car performs much better than the Qashqai around town especially pulling out at junctions. The car is really nippy, no gear changes means it is much faster than most other cars in the real world (your average driver is not as skilled a gear changer as they like to think!) Traffic jams are no longer an issue, not having to clutch control is much more relaxing and with the car using EV mode most of the time when you are not accelerating heavily it's a peaceful place to be. In the Excel model you get great equipment and I opted for the sat nav and pan roof too, both are excellent. The media system takes a little getting used to but is more than adequate. The car is noisy when accelerating but you soon get used to it, use of the cruise control on the motorway makes the journey much quieter and efficient.

Richard Cronshaw, December 30th 2014

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

Spent a considerable amount of time test driving new vehicles in this class (Mazda 3, Seat Leon and Kia C'eed). I was very nervous about the Auris on account of the less than glowing reviews. Whilst I have only had the vehicle for two weeks it has been a revelation! It is an absolute joy to drive (have been mostly around town)and very comfortable for driver and passengers. The fuel economy is already seriously ahead of the Mazda 2 that it replaced and I even had a refund on my insurance (yearly for £225!). Add to this no road tax and already the savings are adding up. The hybrid is not cheap though there are some excellent deals (ironically maybe helped by the average reviews). This also has to be seen in context where the whole sector is pushing toward the late teens for a decent specification. I have also been surprised at the looks that I have been getting from other drivers. This is somewhat ironic because looks were fairly low down on my list. Perhaps because I opted for white which, when clean, looks very stylish. In the school car park where I work I have had a great deal of interest from other teachers on account of the looks and the technology. I now find myself a great advocate for hybrid technology. To add balance the only 'downside' is the occasional unfamiliar sound which can be disconcerting on first hearing. However, once the realisation dawns that this car operates a different technology then concerns subside and what was once 'unfamiliar' is now 'famil

Richard McKenzie, March 16th 2014

VVTi Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto

I've had my car 6 months now, it's averaging about 56 MPG of mostly motorway and fast A road driving. It's very easy to drive, the eCVT gearbox is a little strange at first but you soon get used to it. The major downside of this car is the 12 volt battery has gone flat and stranded me twice now, the dealer fitted a new battery the first time and it's back at the dealer again now.

Kevin Hutchinson, West Yorkshire, January 19th 2014

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

After a few more days using this car, my average mpg has risen to 52, probably because the car needed to be 'run in' initially. This is covering around 80% of my journey on motorways and dual carriageways. I've now done 350 miles since purchasing it new. The figure is still rather disappointing as I was expecting a minimum of 55 mpg, but at least it is moving in the right direction. What I have found is that fuel economy depends a great deal on how you drive; if you constantly rev the engine on the motorway to go as fast as possible you will pay for it dearly at the pumps. The best way to drive the car is to give it a lot of power initially and then let it coast for long stretches. Avoid sudden acceleration and deceleration if at all possible. The only annoying thing about driving the car is the noise when accelerating, but as I said before it's not a major issue for most people. I also prefer a higher seating position - in the Auris you sit very low down, which takes some getting used to. Overall it's a very good all round car with plenty of high-tech features that will please the geeks. As well as being zero road tax rated it's also cheap to insure when compared to its diesel rivals in the same class.

Mark La Vardera, January 5th 2014

VVTi Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto

I recently purchased this car (ex demonstrator with 6000 miles) to replace a 2009 Prius. I am familiar with Toyota Hybrids but in the past have run various German diesels (most recently BMW). I have to say I am enjoying the Auris and would recommend it over the Prius unless you need the slightly roomier interior. The Auris has a better more European feel, better rear suspension on the hybrid, slightly improved steering and braking and is similarly economical. I would expect on average a genuine 55 mpg. On top of that both the car (Derby) and engine (Deeside, Flintshire) are manufactured in the UK, so a lower imported content. I do not understand some of the negative reviews the car has received, the engine for example is only noisy under very hard acceleration, and the quality of interior materials and equipment levels are good. In today's World there are more important things than 0-60 mph times, and why would you need a 140 mph top speed for road use?

Andrew Knowles, RCT, November 4th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

Purchased as a tax efficient company car and am very pleased with it. I've had it since April 13 and have done 9K very happy, comfy miles on all types of roads. The car is really very easy to live with when you spend a lot of time in it and it makes a nice change from the endless small German cars on the motorways. Power is fine for normal driving and whilst it does rev a bit up hills it's more than compensated by being almost silent everywhere else and it goes well enough when you want it to. Build seems fine and equipment is very good- Particularly the DAB radio. I opted for leather seats, nav and the skyview roof- seats and nav are great but roof not really worth it. I'm averaging an indicated 65 MPG which is great for a petrol car when petrol is cheaper at the pump, so savings all round. I don't really agree with any of the negative comments I read before purchasing which just goes to show you should try it yourself. I've had auto diesels before this and am now hooked on petrol hybrids. One warning- don't use the tyre sealant supplied for a reparable puncture as you will end up buying another tyre (Toyota dealer)- I purchased a space saver for next time. all round no complaints at all.

Stuart Brown, September 5th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

If you want an economical car, this is one of the best. Test drove several different makes but this one, Toyota make, ticked the most boxes.

Stamatis Panagiotaras, Surrey, September 4th 2013

VVTi T2 3dr

I've now been using this car as a company vehicle for nearly 4 months and have covered nearly 12k miles. It drives smoothly, is economical to say the least and is a great handling car. I look forward to driving it every day and the CVT transmission is a joy to use because you never have to think if you're in the right gear - it just goes. For those that think it's for old people, think again because it can shift if you want it to and has all the gadgets you'll need. Friends think the hybrid no noise thing is brilliant. You just watch their face when you say the engine's on and just drifts away from them with no noise or fuss. I've never had a company car before that I'd like to replace with the same make and model. This is my 10th company car. You'll like trying to get the best mpg figure possible and always laugh when you get around 80mpg on the right road conditions. You'd never guess but I really do like this car and all it's toys and equipment - if you want more toys then get the excel hybrid instead. Don't be put off by the price either because it will pay you back if you cover a reasonable mileage and is exempt from road tax.

Alun Davies, Gwynedd, August 4th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto

I bought this 2013 Excel Hybrid version to replace the 2010 T Spirit Hybrid version. The difference between the two is great--the Excel (New Auris) is very much quieter and the body does not grunt and groan when I turn when climbing. I have owned it now for almost 2 months and it is a great pleasure to drive it especially when using the cruise control as it makes for a very smooth run. I opted for Touch & Go as an add-on but this doesn't fulfill my expectations of it. The engine compartment is much larger than the 2010 version and I think that this helps to minimise the engine noise as the engine in the 2010 version was tucked in very close to the back of the front dash. It certainly looks a much less untidy engine compartment which I am sure will be appreciated by the technicians. I am impressed by the mpg--the best so far is 74.4 and this was wholly on country roads. Even when pushing with a fully loaded boot on the motorway it exceeds 60 mpg. I much prefer the look of the 2013 version and the doors when closing sound solid and not cheap and tinny as the previous one did. The DAB Radio is very very good. All in all I am pleased with the purchase.

Hughie Leckie, July 28th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

Having lived with the car now for 5 months, and covered 3500 miles, I am pleased so far. This is my first Toyota and was attracted to the styling of this car and Toyota's reputation for reliability. It is not the quickest car in the world, but this is not so important to me, it is quick enough for me and cruises comfortably and quietly. Some reviews I have read complain about too much wind noise, but I do not have this problem on my car. It is extremely quiet at all speeds. Fuel economy is OK, not great, but I am averaging 38mpg, with a mix of town and motorway driving. Plus points are the levels of equipment on this Excel model, leather seats (which are seriously comfortable on a long journey), keyless entry, iPod connection, bluetooth and more. An interesting feature of this model is the Park Assist, and although I was not sure to trust it, I gave it a go and was very impressed. I now use it every day, and it manages to get me into the tightest of spaces first time, every time. On the options list, I selected Toyota's full length panoromic roof, again I am very impressed, but I am not sure it is worth the extra money, most of the time I forget to open it. Boot space is reasonable, and comparable to the Focus, Golf, etc, although rear leg room is tight for taller passengers, fine for a couple of kids though. If you want to be different from the Focus/Golf/Astra crowd, then give the Auris a go, you won't be disappointed, but you won't be too excited either.

Paul Udale, July 7th 2013

V-Matic Excel 5dr

I bought this car mainly for the economy factor and although my two previous cars were a BMW 528I and a BMW 520 I am surprised how pleased I am with the Auris Hybrid. A BMW it isn't but a nice car it is. I find it comfortable to drive and the seating seems adequate. The model I bought was the T spirit top of the range, and I added front sensors. I have only two areas in which I think the car fails. Firstly the quality of the plastic trim which marks very easily and as yet I haven't found a suitable product to restore it and Secondly it is impossible to maintain anywhere near the 72mpg they claim. I am averaging between 45 and 50 mpg which includes urban and motorway driving. I find the ride a little hard because of the low profile tyres supplied, having been used to larger normal tyres on the BMW's. All that being said I like the car and all the gizmos that come with it. I still use my portable TomTom rather than the built in Sat Nav because the Tom Tom has more flexibility. I would recommend one to a friend providing he wasn't a boy racer, but I can assure you the power is there when needed foot to the floor gives immediate response. I have done 18000 miles in it and had no problems.Mine was registered in Dec 2011.

Norman Moor, Norfolk, April 24th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto

I bought a new Auris Hybrid Excel a few weeks ago. I am delighted with the economy and it is easy to achieve well over 60mpg on a typical town to town drive over 10 miles with mixed motoring conditons including faster stretches and town driving. And no road tax and lowish insurance. Excellent mid range torque and power. However it is a bit hard over the bumps due to the larger wheels that come as standard on this model - why do they assume that because you buy a higher spec car you need larger wheels and less comfort? Tight steering is good and I do not recognise the professional criticism of lack of feel and when powered hard the refinement 'falling to bits'. Yes it is noisier, but it is so quiet otherwise that this is easily handled and is not irritating to me, and well worth the economy. Indeed it is so quiet that the powered rumble is probably exaggerated because of this. Fitted with all the gooies, I will now not be able to buy another car that does not have a rear view camera, which is essential. I have not tried the park assist yet. I bought this havinbg looked at the Golf, Verso, Focus, Civic and Insight - I think I made the correct decision for my needs which include a number of shorter runs including some longer jaunts. I like the CVT - I did not think I would and I also like the keyless entry system and indeed have not used the key once since I got it.

HARRY BARKER, CHESHIRE, April 17th 2013

VVTi Hybrid Excel 5dr CVT Auto

The new Auris Hybrid has an efficient and smooth drive train. The handling through corners is good and it copes well with rough road surfaces. A high tech machine to provide plenty of driving pleasure. The only niggle might be the ashtray. As a former Subaru driver I'm spoilt with roadholding. On a business trip with a VW Golf I nearly run out of road in the first corner; it just didn't want to go round it at the speed I'm used to. The sensible solution: Lift the foot off the accelerator pedal of a VW well before any bend.

Helmut Hostettler, February 22nd 2013

VVTi Hybrid T4 5dr CVT Auto

I bought an Auris last August, with the MMT transmission, what a nightmare ! It drove like a dream the first three months, after that the brakes squeeked! At low speed the car does not change gear but raves, feels like the car has no power,this happens freqently at roundabouts! on a straight run if I need to reduce speed, the car does not pick up again, but the engine raves, which I find really dangerous !I've had put on hazard lights ,the drives behind me not happy! The car has been back to the garage twice, brakes fixed, but the gear problem remains, answer from toyota garage: change gears manually,: why i ask when I'm driving in auto mode. Reply: this is how one drives an MMT ! I will be returning the car, as I find it too dangerous to drive. I wish I had read reviews on this prior to buying it !

Cathy Carasco, Middlesex, January 26th 2009

VVTi T3 5dr

Having now covered 8500 miles in the Auris, I am a bit dissapointed.Having been a Toyota man for a lot of years,(2 Corollas over 7 years) it had to be a natural step up to the Auris. However I think my Corolla T Spirit was a better car. Not a fast car by any means despite having a 2 lire six speed diesel engine, economy is not much better. The blind spot when turning right is very restrictive,steering is a bit lacklustre and the brakes squeal at slow speeds.Also Ive never known a car to have such bad condensation! My latest problem is that the engine revs remain high when you change gear,this I found a bit disconcerning and slightly dangerous.Its off to the garage. Im changing this car soon and having read the reviews for the C4 Picasso that is my next car,shame really I had a good afair with Toyota for a great number of years.

Dave McGee, December 26th 2008

D-4D T3 3dr

I have done 6000 miles since new and no major problems so far. It is quite good on petrol and with Toyota service plan total cost for 3 services is £350. Some people say it is dull. It is not hot hatch but if you want one get Golf GTI. Overall it is a good car that takes you from point A to B with no surprises. The things that could be improved: - rusting alloy wheel nuts, but that seems to be an issue with many cars - internal plastic very easy to scratch - audio system quality is below average I hope to keep Auris for the next few years as I like the ergonomy, responsive engine (needs high revs thou) and interior design.

G P, November 5th 2008

VVTi TR 5dr

not speedy, considering it has 130bhp, previously owned a 120bhp diesel astra that pulled better. Auris manages better mpg that the astra but i cant get anywhere near to Toyota's official figure for this car. Toyota customer service very good although i'm not to sure about bulid quality, had to go back to dealer the day after i picked it up due to a grinding noise coming from the near-side front wheel. Rear-seat passagers very impressed with comfort and space, a massive improvement over the astra. a good car, if maybe a little boring.

Iestyn Owen, Denbighshire, October 31st 2008

D-4D SR 5dr

I bought an Auris with MMT transmission in August 2008 and have completed almost 1700 miles. I have just been on line and seen a whole catalogue of complaints about this gear box. I wish I'd seen that website before I bought the car.It's been back to the dealer's workshop twice already. At low speed it is very difficult to get a smooth ride and when manoeuvring into parking spaces the engine surges and than stops causing the brakes to snatch quite sharply. On one occasion when I pulled into a roundabout it wouldn't change up from first gear and on another I pulled out to overtake only to find I had no power and had to pull back in again. I have had Toyotas for many years and have always liked them but this MMT version is a pig.

Stephen Clapton, Dorset, September 18th 2008

VVTi TR 5dr

I bought an AURIS SR as a downsize from an AVENSIS.I have owned three Toyoto cars and have been extremely pleased with them ,no problems whatsoever.The AURIS is great to drive,it looks very stylish and I have had several enquires from other drivers regarding it's merits.Sadly like several other reviewers the car's brakes squeal when touched lightly at slow speeds.It has been back to the dealer twice,but is booked for a further check.I understand from a mechanic this is quite a problem and TOYOTA are aware of this.Lets hope for third time lucky.

Douglas Ballantyne, South Lanarkshire, September 16th 2008

VVTi SR 5dr

Had a longish test drive of a manual 2.0 litre diesel Auris very recently. Was initially pleased with lots of things, eg gearshift/clutch smoothness, reasonably nice engine, good packaging, OK seats. But then it slowly dawned on me just how appalling was the steering - skittish, inaccurate and in my view verging on the dangerous. I couldn't have contemplated owning a car with something so important so fundamentally wrong even if that was its only fault. What do Toyota think they are up to? Jim Bowman Harrow

James Bowman, Middx, August 28th 2008