VVT-i Black 5dr

I bought this car for my wife New in 2009 and I have ended up reluctantly handing over the keys to my Honda Accord Touring so my wife can take the dogs out! So after 12,000 miles in 8 months what do think of it? It is cheap to run although if you get more than 55 Mpg you must have the wind behind you! It does have a very Go-Kart feel about it and its fun in town, out of town however it can keep up with the traffic but you will need to turn up the volume on the stereo above 65 Mph. Having the 5 door does enable you to take four adults in relative comfort over short journeys, the boot is small but you do get to have a full size spare wheel which as a commuter it could be very handy one day! The car has proved reliable over the past 2 years and I have no doubt it will survive its 3 year warranty, there must be something in the small print of the New ones as I doubt if it will give 5 years trouble free motoring? All controls are well placed and for the most part unless you get one than leaks water you will enjoy owning and as the running costs are low it will sell on once you have got a proper job and can afford something a bit more up market! To sum up it is a very good little car, but its nota patch on a Honda!

Neil Davies, Angus, November 15th 2011

VVT-i Black 5dr [AC]

This is my first car, purchased almost 2 years ago when it was approaching its third birthday. It's enormous fun. There's real go-kart handling, not dissimilar in driving character to a Mini. Perky little engine with a fantastic exhaust note, with surprisingly good acceleration. Steering is direct, and although gearchange is very light, it's a short-throw affair. Ride quality is largely fine, but you'll notice the bumps on lesser-maintained roads. Fuel economy and other running costs are excellent. Low emissions mean £20 annual road tax - brilliant as I'm a student. Tyres cost around £55 each for a top brand - also handy - but they'll rarely need changing because they wear incredibly well. Fuel economy is also great. Providing you know how to drive economically, you'll see good returns. I regularly get between 55 and 62 mpg on a mixture of motorways/A-roads/urban driving - even managed 500 miles on one tank. Service from my Toyota dealer has been great. Quality is fine - the Aygo certainly isn't "lush" but it's characterful and the plastics are sturdy. The painted metal brightens up the interior, and air conditioning has been great during the Summer. Boot is awkward to access for bigger loads but it's bigger than you think. Everyone who rides in the back is surprised at the space back there, too. Only niggle is lack of a passenger window switch on the driver's side. Make a boot light from an LED from Asda or something. Overall - excellent, honest motoring! :-)

Callum Peters, October 1st 2011

VVT-i Blue 5dr

I have been driving this car for over 2 months it was purchased used at 2 years old so still has warranty. It has had to have it's clutch replaced so watch out for this and check it's been done if you buy used. It also needed it's back box replacing but both done with no issues as a warranty repair. It's a light car and surprisingly nippy. Can hold it's own on the motorway. Great round town and easy to park. Minimum mpg has been 47mpg have had in high 50's should improve now the exhaust has been repaired as this has been an issue since it was purchased used from a Citreon garage yet as I said fixed by the lovely peoe at Toyota with no issues at all and done quickly so happy as I've already seen a slight improvement in mpg and it's only been a few days It only costs £20 for a years road tax so any issues should still be a saving on fuel and tax. The aygo blue has air con and handsfree which are useful there is plenty of room for my son and myself and passengers have said that it is roomy. Corners well and the tyres grip the road. All in all I love my aygo. I love driving and this car isn't bad especially considering the price. If you want a cheap to run car which does at least 350 miles to a 35litre top up then look no further. It may have it's niggles but it's a nice little car. I prefer the look of this over the C1 or the 107.

Victoria Paton, June 25th 2011

VVT-i 3dr

I purchased my Aygo, just over two years old, three months later the exhaust fell off, which the dealer replaced , the small latch on the glove box was a nuisance falling off repeatedly, after having the car one year, the gears started to feel crunchy and difficult to move. I took the car back to the dealer, under the extended warranty which they had given me, the wanted £69 pounds for Diagnostic check, 30 minutes later the advised me that I had a problem with the gear box. This was the reason I had given them the car for. They next told me that It would have to be stripped down at a cost of three hours at their rate of £69 per hour, if the fault was manufacturers they would repair it for free, this would have taken their examination fee up to £236 without repairing it. I refused,I had to pay the Diagnostic fee. If they stripped it and I refused to accept their information as correct, I would then have to pay for the rebuild. My argument was that as I had purchased the car at 12,000 miles, they should pay for it regardless, as it was only six month from the purchase. Each car I had ever purchased , I had with the guarantee (being reasonable) repair free for 12 months at least. I took the car to another garage, they gave it a test drive, reported instantly that the clutch had gone, which I had suspected, I gave it to them and had it repaired immediately. The previous garage, intimated that I should have given them the go ahead, and they would have found this out.Never again

James McGinlay, East Dunbartonshire, May 27th 2011

VVT-i 3dr

Well I bought my Aygo Blue at exactly 3yr old having done 23K miles. After only a few weeks the exhaust needed replacing, at 28K new brakes & at 31K a new clutch. While I like my Aygo alot (I had an Astra b4 which I sold due to running costs, tx & parking issues but it was very reliable) i didn't expect so many things to go wrong with it. Brakes I can accept but the clutch I wasn't happy with going after only 31K. It is cheap to run & happily took me from Manchester to London, accross London to Kent then back again. The boot is tiny but then again that's not why anyone would by an Aygo, don't have expectations that's it's a Tardis - it ain't. It's fun to drive, comfy & has lots of pluses (air-con, bluetooth, central locking, etc) but a little more durability wouldn't go amiss - it's a Toyota after all.

Catherine McLoughlin, Lancashire, April 27th 2011

VVT-i 3dr

I really loved my Aygo, or at least I did until today, when I was told that I needed a new clutch. My Aygo is just 4 years old and has 35000 miles on the clock. Luckily I logged on here and read that others have had clutch problems also so rang Toyota and have arranged for a diagnostic test. If the test shows there is a fault with the clutch they will 'help' with the cost, if not I will have to pay for a replacement. i have been quoted £410 from a small independent local garage that we have used for years so expect to pay a lot more than that from a main dealer. Apart from that I have hardly anything negative to say about it. The car is noisy but only to be expected with such a small engine. It looks good, is very economical to run and I can fit a week's grocery shopping for 4 in the boot. Was planning to replace it within the next couple of years with another Aygo but will wait for the outcome of the clutch issue first. There is no way I want a car that is going to need a new clutch every 3 to 4 years!

Kim Turner, Devon, March 28th 2011

VVT-i 3dr

I purchased this new last July and have now done 10,000 miles in the 9 months of mixed driving. It has given me on a run to Brighton and back from Northampton to see my parents up to 76mpg, that's not going over 70mph. Even if I cane it at 90ish, I still get about 58 to 60mpg. The running costs are so cheap and you are looking at £20 for next years road tax when it's due, the first year was free. It's not a brilliant ride over very potholed roads but is quite nippy, going up to 90mph in 3rd gear (I have the rev counter fitted and it's about 500rpm short of the red line). The engine is also very flexible allowing you to accelerate from 20mph in 5th gear right up to whatever you want etc. There are no squeaks or rattles, it drives superbly and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. My wife has a Yaris, my sister has a new Prius and her partner has a Yaris too. We have had Toyotas in the family for 15 years and none of us have ever had a bulb blow, typical Toyota reliability. You simply can't go wrong. Oh, my Wife's exhaust finally went on her Yaris after 113,000 miles and 11 years, on the original Toyota one! That's how long things last and she does all round town driving. I used to be in Sales doing 50K / year on the road and my company cars were other makes shall we say and were always needing stuff doing under warranty. Enough said! I have kept a record of when I filled up, what mileage etc. since new and the box below for the av. mpg is over 10K of mixed d

Simon Lack, Northamptonshire, March 13th 2011

VVT-i Black 5dr

How can we vote in a new car that leaks??? I have this car for four months now but I think it was not a good choice, I wish I had bought another car. However I loved the way it looks, the running costs and price itself. I think I have a car that is not well built. It's a shame, and it's toyota... It went to the garage three times to be fixed ( doors seals) . Now I' m waiting till the next rain to know if I will reject the car. If it continues raining inside I will reject it I 'm sure.

carla Nunes, tavira - faro, February 10th 2009

VVT-i Blue 5dr

Had problems with the Aygo from day 1. Picked up the car to find it made horrible clunky noises when changing gear. It has so far been back to the dealership 5 times for this same fault. Now trading standards are involved and I am wondering if the car will ever be as it should. I would NOT recomend this cheap hack of a car to anyone who wants either reliability or any kind of customer service.

Darren Partridge, January 21st 2009

VVT-i Blue 5dr

This car is potentially dangerous, having had water pouring out of the interior light and the windows misting up so badly vision was severely compromised in damp weather, to the point where i had two near misses. I took the vehicle back to toyota, the technicians were well aware of the problems, they informed me the roof aerial leaks, the door seals leak, there was a fault in manufacture resulting in boot drains not being formed correctly. Having now covered 7k miles the glove box constantly opens when driving, another distraction. The brakes are now making grinding sounds, hot and cold, on inspection toyota informed me they were badly scored. I realised the idea of this car when i purchased it, however the engineering leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not normally one for complaining and heading back to the dealer at the slightest glitch but these faults are potentially dangerous!!!! Great engine though!

Graham Boyle, flintshire, January 20th 2009

VVT-i Platinum 5dr

I bought an aygo earlier this year, i wanted a new car that was cheap to run and fun to drive. I got both, I love my little car. I knew what I was buying into... a small boot, slow at high speeds, eroding alloy nuts and cheap looking interior. But its fun to drive, very nippy, economical and pleasing to the eye. I don't drive a lot but the car suits me very well, I'm really glad that I got a 5 door, the car doesn't look like a 5 door. The amount of people that try to get in through the front thinking its a 3 door makes me chuckle. I've had many tall people in the back of the car and comment on how much room they have so space is not an issue. If you expect this car to be a mini porsche don't get it but if your happy with a small basic economical car its the car for you, and if my boyfriend can admit he loves to drive it, that screams volumes!!

emma reed, October 30th 2008

VVT-i Blue 5dr

i have had this car for 1 year now, and have done 9000 miles. it is easy & quiet to drive, and park.2 weeks ago we drove from north wales to Uig, on the isle of Skye, 570 miles, and then on to isle of Harris for a weeks touring. on the way home we drove the whole distance in 12 hours, (because the motels were full on the motorway) and the car was perfect, with no problems at all. PLUS it came home on ONE tank of petrol. i can tax this car for £35 and insure it for £95(fully comp.) so we think its brilliant for these days when the fuel is so expensive and it is so "green"

jane symonds, gwynedd, October 17th 2008

VVT-i 5dr

My Aygo is 3 years old now and 15K on the clock. It's been totally reliable to date with no warranty work needed. Only fault experienced was a noise from the brakes, but that disappeared after a couple of weeks. I find the car so easy to drive and it's fun too. Could do with a courtesy light via the passenger door (any other car out there without this?) With group one insurance, £35 RF licence and good economy it's really inexpensive to own and run. Although overall its performace is okay, the one litre engine struggles up hill, especially with more than 2 on board. Plenty of room for rear passengers but boot is quite small (can't have it both ways). Dealership service has been great, but cannot understand why the brake fluid is changed every other service, surely that's too frequent and unnecessary cost. Would recommend the Aygo to anyone looking for a small car that's fun to drive and easy on the wallet.

Ray Fuller, Kent, October 7th 2008

VVT-i Black 5dr

Thank goodness I'm not going mad! Water Leaks!!! My car has been leaking water for months now. It's been back to Toyota twice. the 1st time to have the door seals replaces. It still leaked so went back again and they changed the vents towards the back of the car(?). It's still leaking and I have puddles in the footwell behind the drivers seat. The water runs everywhere when it's driven. I'm still waiting to hear from Toyota to fine out where we go from here as they don;t know what else to do! Maybe it's time this whole thing with Aygos water leaks is collectiveley taken forward and higher to get results

Joanne Royle, Cheshire, October 1st 2008

VVT-i Blue 5dr

Having had a Clio 1.6 16v for 9 years which I loved to bits, great economy, performance 43mpg at worst, mostly driving with heavy foot, I decided to buy an Aygo due to impending tax hikes due in 2009, soaring fuel costs etc and the clio was getting old. With Toyotas "good" reputation, I paid extra to have the whole works apart from leather upholstry. After a few weeks, I had blue smoke coming through the air vents when aircon was turned on. Dealer changed compressor & belts but it still does it, they cannot find the cause, so I don't us the air con if I can help it. Glove box kept falling open over bumps, dealer fixed by fitting metal catch, also water came in as they had not fitted the rubber door seals! But now fitted, they are starting to fall off! I got Multi mode transmission as I am often stuck in traffic and thought it would make it easy but I hate it. Sometimes there is a bad hesitation while it decides whether it is going to go into 1st or 2nd gear which is very frightening. Engine sounds very thrashy when pulling away, when going up hill and heaven help you if you have any adults. Body work bends, doors feel very thin. I am averaging 52 mpg driving it carefully, so claim of good mpg is false, I could get 52mpg from my 1.6 clio by driving on just the same journeys! Having been driving for 21 years, this is simply the worst car I have ever owned, how I miss my RELIABLE Clio! I cannot express how much I HATE THE AYGO!!!!

Peter Baynton, Beds, September 28th 2008

VVT-i Blue 3dr

Two water leaks.Two rear box exhaust boxes.(loose baffles) and only 5k miles. Otherwise a nice car. Very nippy and economical. Would not buy another.

eric harmer, midlothian, September 27th 2008

VVT-i Black 3dr

I am just so glad to read about someone else having water problems with their Aygo. I purchased my Aygo from new in October 2006. It went in for its first service and a few minor snagging problems, one of which a water leak. I have had it back to the dealership 7 times to try and have this rectified. I have also had a Toyota Engineer out to the car to try and repair it, all without success. It is now September and I cannot have anyone in the front passenger seat of my car because their feet get wet when the water splashes from side to side and front to back of the vehicle. I have contacted the dealership and Toyota on numerous occasions all without achieving a solution to this problem. It has now been 5 weeks since I last contacted Toyota to get another vehicle as I don't want the vehicle I have. Needless to say I am still waiting for a result. I have been advised by Toyota that I am the only person who has had this fault so it is a relief to know that I am not the only one with a car they don't want because of either the dealership or manufacturer or BOTH in my case. "TOYOTA SPONSORS E4" - TOYOTA SHOULD LOOK AFTER THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS INSTEAD OF SPONSORING TV STATIONS. I would never recommend anyone buying a TOYOTA as they have no customer relation skills and are not interested in their existing customers.

Lyn Wales, sTRATHCLYDE, September 9th 2008

VVT-i + 5dr

How can you possibly in this day and age make a car without a courtesy light on the passenger's door, I think I'd rather have this than electric windows. That said and it being the reason for me not buying this car for six months it is a nice little car. The car is an 07 and has done only a little ove 1000 miles being used mainly for shopping and even just for this use the boot is a little small. Monouverable, nippy, economical the auto box takes some getting used to but is great fun and using manually is fun too. Seats are comfortable and the car is easy to get into and out of even if you are not as flexible as you were. Travelling at 70 is no problem and the lack of Tacho and temperature guage mean there's less to worry you. Back seats do not fold flat which is a real problem which we had not realised as we cannot transport the dogs. After saying all that the car is fun and inexpensive to run and the dealers seem to manage to retain service staff

Garry Cleaver, August 23rd 2008

VVT-i Platinum 3dr [AC]

I bought the Aygo in order to save money - my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago! I'm getting an easy 60mpg (less than 10p per mile on fuel) and after 6 months and 5000 miles the car is faultless. Clearly, don't buy an Aygo expecting some kind of luxury vehicle, but for low cost, comfortable and reliable motoring I am thrilled.

Philip R, Lancashire, August 20th 2008

VVT-i Black 5dr

I have the automatic version which makes my journey to work (countryside and city) really relaxing. The auto was very jerky when new but is now alot smoother. The ride is pretty smooth and is great fun - nippy in town and it keeps up on the motorway without any problems. The 5 door version makes it The air con works well. The lack of a glove compartment lid is a shame - it is impossible to hide items like sunglasses without putting things into the boot - cost cutting one step too far. I don't drive the car when its rained alot, as I find it skids about a bit - maybe a manual version would give a bit more control. Economy is brilliant - I fill up so infrequently and the 'pips' on the fuel display go down so slowly - buy this car if you want to travel without big bills, but I think there are other small cars that have more to offer on the inside. I find it a very useful second car.

Charles Oliver, August 17th 2008