D-4D SR 5dr

The wife's forth Toyota after two Yaris Verso's and a Urban Cruiser. We bought the demonstrator after the Urban Cruiser went in for a problem. It was just such a nice drive we didn't want to give it back. A big car which doesn't feel it. Being the demonstrator we have the 2.2D-4D with all the toys, but the parking sensors are a must, it is a big car. We get around 45 mpg around town and it will if driven gently give over 60 mpg on the motorway. from popping down the shops to a 350 mile round trip taking a full load to our daughters "digs" at University it handles everything with ease. You will be amazed at how much will fit in the back. The seating isn't quite a clever as the Yaris Verso, but folds out the way easily. Its just effortless the drive with all that torque it will pull happily from low revs in most gears. Having owned it from around 8 months old for 5 years now and done about 50,000 miles it has been back for three problems. The door hinge bolts were not plated and went rusty causing stains down the door pillars. One of the built in DVD screens used to turn on and off at random. We get excessive front tyre wear, which seems to be due to the heavy engine. This is easily the best car we have ever owned and I will be very sorry to see it go when we eventually change it.

Graham Gillings, Wiltshire, August 1st 2013

V-matic T2 5dr [5 Seats]

I've found my Verso a pleasure to own over the last year. It might not be as big as an Alhambra or S-Max but you'll be surprised just how much room the car has! It will easily take 4 adults and our 2 year old (in his car seat) in comfort and the seats fold easily to make the car into a mini van for trips to the tip. The interior seems to be standing up to the bumps and knocks of family life, but I'd recommend buying the available boot liner to keep the carpet on the two rear seats dry. The car has averaged between 36 and 42 mpg depending on driving style and time of year. We can easily get 400 miles out of a tank of petrol. The only down side to having the petrol engine is the need to rev it to around 4000 rpm to get the best performance out of it (the engine does like to be revved!). The downsides? This engine/trim combination is no longer available (Toyota only sold the 1.8 petrol engine in T-Spirit trim for around 8 months) so if we decide to buy another it'll have to be a diesel or a Prius +. The engine requires 0w20 oil to get the best mpg and dealers may put in 5w30 oil if you don't remind them (the engine will still work ok, you'll just get lower mpg). I wanted a car that was cheap to run, had good interior space and wouldn't let me down so I bought a Verso. If I wanted a car with sports car handling I would've bought a sports car! I can't understand why the Verso has lost a star from What Car?, it was 4 now it's 3...

Bryan Duncan, February 16th 2012

V-matic TR 5dr

Update after 20 Months and 21k miles. Car still fautless. Interior particularly is well made, takes family life in its stride. Servicing not cheap, Β£170 for 10k service and Β£270 for 20k service but generally main dealer cant be faulted. Front tyres getting close to needed replacement, quote from main dealer for new tyres (Bridgestone)was competitive. Rear tyres have plenty left and will comfortably do another 20k miles. Currently achieving 40mpg (verified with manual calculation) mostly urban/A road driving - which is impressive. I have noticed the road noise is increasing but suspect this may be due to the front tyre wear. Overall this is a great family car. And Im hard to please.!

James Nelson, May 20th 2011

D-4D TR Pan Rf 5dr

Wonderfull car, very roomy and confortable, excellent on motorways, very stable, and the 126 horse power engine does a honorable job, itΒ΄s not a sporty car but it is not entended to be.

Thomas Ferreira, May 13th 2011

VVT-i SR 5dr

The seating system is excellent and reconfiguring the cabin is fast and simple. While the two rear seats are only suitable for small children the car is a very comfortable five seater with a large boot when these rear seats are folded. The cabin has proved hard wearing and durable but is low rent and most of the plastics feel hard and cheap. Equipment levels in the SR are very good and there is very little you'd want to add other than MP3 player integration and a USB or SD port. So far so decent, however the ride is quite harsh combined with a lot of body lean in corners, steering is light but lacks feel, it is probably as god as other vehicles in this class but feels very poor to drive compared to a regular family hatchback. The engine is underpowered and needs to be revved to make reasonable progress with frequent downshifts, this also means the fuel consumption is poor, I average 30-32mpg, which in a car with sluggish performance is not very good. We got a good price on a nearly new 08 a couple of years ago and whilst the children were very young and we needed to carry grandma as well it was a useful car, the seating system is excellent and better than most rivals whilst the drive is no worse than its rivals but others have better running costs. Overall a car you drive because you need it but with no driver appeal or character.

John bradshaw, Cumbria, March 31st 2011

D-4D TR 5dr

Not the most exciting form of transport but then again not expected to be, is is a family transporter after all, but for safe(5*)for up to 7, comfortable, economical (50+mpg) is supremely reliable transport (2.0d 6 speed) (5yr warranty) it cannot be beaten.

David Green, Tyne & Wear, May 29th 2010

VVT-i T3 5dr

Just bought a 30,000 mile 3 year old 1.8 vvti t3, and it is superb. I have had 2 scenics, the last one i did 66,000 miles in 3 years, and i thought it was a good car, until i drove this. It is superior in every way. Cabin noise? don't know what others are used to driving, but i grew up with my dads merc's and jags, and i can tell you, for what the car is, it's quiet as it needs to be. Engine lacking in power? what are you used to? once it comes on cam, it just keeps pulling and pulling, and sounds superb too. It does what it says on the tin, and is brilliant for someone who needs an occasional 7 seater.

richard hardstaff, February 15th 2009

VVT-i T2 5dr

My wife and I are very happy with this car which we bought almost new 30k miles ago. We have 1.8 t2 version. The car is wonderfully practical - we take huge loads readily (two adult bikes easily transported inside the car when off to France -but still enjoy a comfortable and spacious drive. economy is fairly good - 37 is about right but it is easy to get higher with a little restraint.Vision from height is lovely, seats comfortable. Acceleration is good. The 'noise' issue mentioned elsewhere is simply wrong. Niggles include parking - vision when parking is not good - and storing the boot cover is fiddly.

Bernard Martin, January 9th 2009

VVT-i T3 5dr

I am writing this review to refute what I have read about cabin noise. This is the only car I have ever owned in which I can conduct a conversation in just more than a whisper at 70mph. I really cannot understand how anyone could say it is noisy. Obviously it is a lot noisier with the load area flat, and no load, but if normally loaded it is quieter than any other car I have been in, bar a Lexus. On the critical side, I find the steering really poorly geared for easy parking. There is something about it which makes reversing into and out of parking spaces really troublesome, and a tight multi-storey is a nightmare - you really have to have the cornering senses of a Formula 1 driver to escape bumper scrapes. Overall, though, I have really enjoyed the ability to drive across the Continent, well positioned for visibility, and knowing that I am consuming very little fuel - even in mountainous Switzerland I have averaged well over 40mpg (the on-board computer is always about 3mpg optimistic). My normal weekly average mpg is calculated on a mix of short and long runs, 2 miles to 60 miles. I would highly recommend this car to anyone, so long as they have good spatial awareness!

John Brightwell, Kent, December 28th 2008

D-4D TR 5dr

"Even though we have this car it is very cool. The best MPV around. Pepole think that the Citeron looks nice you have rotten brain. Its looks are not at all nice and there running costs are quite a rubbish combination. The Engine noise is quiet and it can be realy quiet when you have the automatic version. I think the car can beat any other MPV in its style, engine, interior, an engine noise. I havent told you about the interior, it is better than a fords. The TR 2.2 Verso is the best to get. And if you buy one have a good look at this review before you do it.

A R, Wilkshire, December 7th 2008

VVT-i T3 5dr

Having only collected my first Toyota car today, I have limited experience to go by. However, after a test drive I was quite taken with this MPV. It is like a Tardis inside(had a Megane beforehand)and with 3 children, one a growing teenager, the space it offers is brilliant. I purchased the car for practicality rather than speed, so what one loses in one hand, you gain something else in the other. A later review will be submitted when I have had the pleasure of driving my car for awhile.

lynn knapton, staffordshire, November 20th 2008

D-4D SR 5dr

Purchaed the Verso direct from a Toyota Main Dealer newly registered 1st September 2008. Special edition SR including Β£1,800 extra equipment FOC. Got Β£2,250 discount off the basic list price and the extra equipment was an added bonus. My first experience of Toyota having been and am currently BMW,Audi,Mercedes for past 20 years. It proves to be a tremendous "workhorse" and lives up to its name in "versatility". Covered some 2500 miles to date can't wait to test the service and reliability I hear so much about.

John Clark, Worcestershire, November 18th 2008

D-4D T Spirit 5dr

Overall it is a well thought through proposition particularly if, like me, you have an occasional extended family and don't want a permanant coach. Engine performs well even when fully laden, if a little noisy before it warms up especially in traffic. The cabin is comfortable and very spacious. My main gripe is with the technology. The full colour screen Satellite Navigation system I ordered at the not inconsiderable sum of over Β£2k after VAT, has limited postcode search, no ability for a passenger to do anything when the vehicle is moving and slow to get started. I also had the iPod connector added at over Β£200 and this has also been a disappointment, unless you add every song to aplylist you have no way of playing any other way other than sequentially or random, not very helpful if you've got a lot of songs. Finally, my children were thrilled with the complimentary in head rest screens with DVD. However, my 13 year old daughter and I have become that frustrated with trying to get them to work that it is now spared for only the longest journey, which is probably a good thing in some respects but should one of choice rather than due to an inadequacy of the product. I have rated the car pretty highly because at the end of the day it does what it is designed to do very well but have to say I've been disappointed by the technology problems and would make me think carefully beore specifying such expensive options again in the future.

Nigel Street, October 10th 2008

D-4D T3 5dr

Just a quick review to say I have covered around a thousand miles in my car and so far I cant fault it! The car has lots of power when needed, cruises really well, just flies up any hills encountered, and the sixth gear is great. My car is an '06 plate and doesnt have an mp3-enabled stereo, though I believe later models do. I have used the car with 7 people on board and a full roofbox, and used it to carry mountain bikes in the back, it just copes effortlessly with whatever I throw at it. The on-board computer usually reads around 44-48mpg, which I have calculated to be around 3mpg over the actual figure, so lower than some reviews. After a couple of goes, I find the load cover easy to use and stow, quite a neat trick really!

Richard Wyatt, September 29th 2008

D-4D SR 5dr

I purchased a new Verso in April 2008. Using an Internet broker got me a much better deal than my local Toyota dealer, but it did take a while to sell my old Yaris Verso privately. I saved over Β£1000 cost to change so worth the effort! I have been very pleased with the new Verso, for a diesel it is quiet and very relaxing on long journeys. I have covered 6500 miles with no problems and get between 50-60 mpg on a motorway journey. I find the cruise control helps me keep to an economical mph! I have only used the rearmost seats a couple of times and it is fiddly storing the luggage cover, but probably gets easier if you do it often! At least it has somewhere to store the cover - many MPVs do not. If I was picky a covered central storage box would be better. To clarify previous reviews 1. My model/year has illumination of the key slot 2. The tyre pressures are on a sticker in the glove box 3. Although VERY unlikely, if the cruise did stick on you can press the START button for 4 seconds to switch off the engine.

Paul Roddick, September 12th 2008

D-4D T3 5dr

This is a company car having covered 48000 miles in less than two years. The engine is smooth and flexible with a good turn of speed. The interior accomodation is fantastic doubling as a van when required. Handling is as you would expect for a MPV, the ride slightly firm at times but acceptable. Fuel economy averages 51mpg increasing to 56mpg on long runs. The negative points are poor paint work that easily chips and minor interior rattles. Overall, for a hard used vechile, it hasn't missed a beat. Typical Toyota!

Simon Napier, Hampshire, June 21st 2008

VVT-i SR 5dr

I bought my Verso as an ex demo vehicle with 3500 miles on the clock. One of the most challenging aspects of buying any Verso is to negotiate past the vast price differentials between Toyota main dealers prices, ie Β£3000 on a vehicle with the same spec, colour and mileage. I would heartily recommend Pentagon Toyota at Rotherham who were realistic, customer focused and true to their word. Big pluses for veratility, driving position and build quality. Negatives are a thirstier than expected 1.8 VVTI engine and the vehicle is slightly under powered for its size and weight. The ride is firm but the car looks great, handles well and the driving position is absolutely fatastic. Enjoy.

Jeff Brown, Lancashire, June 11th 2008

D-4D SR 5dr

I’ve had the car since July 07, done about 6000 miles in that time. The only problem so far was defective parking sensors, from delivery, but this was fixed while we waited at the local dealership Ecomony – very good. Just come back from a 550 mile round trip to central London – onboard computer says car averaged 50mpg at an average speed of 71mph, so wasn’t hanging about. The 6th gear makes for very relaxed motorway cruising, it just eats up the miles. The only negative, if you can call it one, is the lack of storage hideaways. We had a Scenic before, and that was better in that respect (but absolutely rubbish in every other respect). The foldaway seats are excellent – easy to use, unlike with the Scenic, where taking a seat out always a hernia risk. I’ve moved a 42” plasma TV upright in its box with just the middle seat folded flat. I’ve noted a couple of comments about the β€œsingle” CD player. What people have perhaps missed is that the unit is mp3 CD enabled. What this means is that you can condense and burn at least 8 normal CD’s worth of music on one disc using a PC. The Text feature on the player lets you find the music easily. Therefore there’s no need for a multichanger. All in all, I’m very satisfied so far and would definitely recommend this car. The SR version is really worth getting for all the extra kit it comes with over and above the T3, which I think costs more.

Nick Skelton, April 3rd 2008

VVT-i T3 5dr

I just went out to have a test drive the used car 1.8 t3. The salesman almost forced me to buy the car striaght away. Which make me feel very uncomfortable!!! I went out to test drive it and power is let down!! No power!! But the interior is quite good. I quite like the front layout. I am waiting for the salesman to call me. If the price is right, I may still buy one.

brandon chung, March 24th 2008

VVT-i T3 5dr

The Good points are it's quite cheap to buy for an 'auto' and economical too. It has seven seats but not very big outside. It looks quite model and has ESP and lots of airbags. The Dealership I used are quite helpful and I got Β£1400 off the list price. Bad points : the MMt gearbox broke down three times, the quality of the cabin is not good, e.g., plastic easily scratched, steering wheel had to be changed as the top layer was coming off after 30000miles, and hard plastic dash feels cheap. The rear light custer was leaking. The MMt gearbox needs getting used to and doesn't creep like conventional autos. Service expensive- Β£490 for third service incl brake pads changed. First dealer I used was also rubbish. Overall, had high expectations but having driven it for coming up to four years a bit disappointed. Would have gone for Honda FRV, Zafria of Mazada 5 if available at the time.

Paul Lee, London, February 16th 2008