Vauxhall Corsa (06 - 14) Owner reviews

I would have no hesitation recommending avoiding Vauxhall altogether. I bought a Corsa brand new, looked after it, serviced regularly by Vauxhall themselves, and yet my car has died after only 6 years and 53,000 miles. This is due to an oil leak that has found its way through the main wiring loom into the ECU and onto every electrical sensor in the engine. As Vauxhalls don't hold their value particularly well, this has left us with a repair bill basically to the same value as the car itself. Very poor, and not at all what I expected when I bought the car. On the plus side, having managed to get rid of it, we have bought a Seat and found this to be a far better ride and specification for the same money if not a little cheaper, different league from the corsa altogether. My only regret is we didn't make the change sooner!

Dan Hocking, Cornwall, March 2nd 2015

T ecoFLEX Sting 3dr

I bought my 1.2 SXi Corsa new in 2001. My previous long term car was a 2.8i Capri I owned for 8 years. I still miss not having the fun of driving it around, with it's rear wheel drive and V6 power. Over the last 13 years of owning and driving my Corsa I've been really pleased with it's reliability and all round capabilities. The 1.2 engine is it's best feature, free revving and responsive to the throttle. One of it's best features, even though it's a small car, is it has 5 seat belts (I've noticed a lot of newer small cars only have 4). I find my Corsa a quiet and relaxed car to drive with enough speed off the line in traffic and to overtake slower drivers when needed. Our other car is a VW lupo 1.0, the Lupo is not as nice to drive with it's heavy steering, bouncy ride and is very slow off the line at 14 seconds 0 to 60, the Corsa is 12 seconds 0 to 60. Our VW Lupo has had far more money spent on repairs over the years and has been less reliable. I might have been lucky with my Corsa compared to some of the other reviews here, but I can't help but think that some of the complaints come about from owners expecting too much from a small car that's never going to be a supercar, and a lot of reliability problems can be brought on by lack of regular servicing and a heavy handed driving style, if you rev the nuts off the engine it's obviously more likely to break than if you drive it gently. I'm 6'3 tall and the Corsa is great for headroom too!

tim england, isle of wight, December 14th 2014

i 16V SXi 3dr

I bought my 2012 Corsa in January and I love owning this car! However, I have had problems with the clutch, I purchased the car with 15,800 miles on the clock and straight from the word go the clutch felt very high and wasn't very responsive and sharp, I'm normally very confident at hill starts and pulling off at lights, but this car has knocked me. After fighting tooth and nail with the dealership they finally agreed to put in a new clutch, fly wheel and slave cylinder. As little as a week later the clutch as gone straight back to its original state from when I purchased it. Making me think that in fact the dealer hasn't done anything to the car? Apart from this very annoying problem I still love the it! It looks smart and sporty and with the tinted windows, tinted rear lights and black head lights that come as standard on the Sxi I think it sets the car off. Mine has 17" upgraded Sri alloys and I must say it makes a huge difference to the whole stance of the car! Compared to the standard alloys on the Sxi. Mine is a 1.4 and I would strongly recommend it. A 1.2 in this size of car is too sluggish. Gadgets the car has are: cruse control, Aux input, multi function steering wheel, trip computer, A/C,warning chimes, daytime running lights, welcome lights and operational windows via key fob and more! Fuel efficiency is amazing! Β£60 full tank lasts easily a month. Tax is average, 12 months Β£110. Got so much more to say but limited on characters! 8-9/10

Jamie Kline, England , July 19th 2014

SXi 3dr

I had several off these 5 door 1.2 Design as a driving instructor. Ideal car for a novice, light and little distraction. Can take a massive beating on the clutch, suspension, brakes and gearbox and show no adverse defects. Sunroof open slightly on the motorway will give parents less to worry about as this car is unreasonably skittish at 70mph for a novice. An accomplished driver will get bored very quick. Only when you red line the revs do you get any sense of stimulation.

Guy Hudson, July 10th 2014

i 16V Design 5dr

Sick to death of people slateing the corsa this is my third. Always had the 1.4 but this 1.4turbo is great. Cheap to run, plenty of power bags of equipment, far to many to list.Got my car from Arnold clark brand new for Β£10500. Amazing car for the money. Lots of car for little money.

brian johnson, May 26th 2014

T Black Edition 3dr

This car is the family runabout, we have had it from new and we all hate it. It is woefully bad to drive; the ride is bouncy, the car squirms all over at motorway speeds so you do get tired (or downright annoyed) on a longer run and the car is noisy. I had a Ford Focus which was notoriously noisy on the run, but this is far, far worse. 1.4 engine has similar output to the old Focus, but is slower and thirstier - presumably as it over-revs on a run (3,500rpm to hold 70mph, vs. 3000 on the Ford). Come on Vauxhall! As a result, the runabout is proving expensive to run (recently used a full tank of fuel to do a little over 300 miles - which is on a par with my "Sunday" car, an SLK350). Cabin quality is iffy; there are some lousy plastics, the dash "creaks" as the badly fitting plastic fittings rub together (due to the bouncy/wandering ride), and the controls are seriously frustrating to use. The seats are also quite uncomfortable and it is cramped in the back. Reliability has been an issue and Vauxhall have been somewhat evasive in rectifying faults with minor equipment such as steering and brakes. Overall; dreadful car. Look elsewhere. The only reason we still have this thing is because it was a wreck from day one, so we can use it to take the dog out, move furniture, etc, and if it is wrecked it won't matter.

Neil Oxley, December 9th 2013

i 16V SXi 3dr

This car was bought new and has since covered 10600 miles. Being the β€˜Excite’ edition it has alloys, fogs, b/tooth, e/windows, adjustable steering, height adjustable seat and aircon. Access to the rear is fine with help from the memory front seats and there’s space to get comfortable. In front there is plenty of room and the seats are both ample and comfortable. The trim fit and finish is durable and pleasant to look at. The adjustable wheel and seat allows a perfect seating position. All the controls are well weighted and easy to use but the the way indicator stalk works can be confusing. The 1.4 litre engine needs less gear changing about town than the 1.2 and has a useful amount of power for the open road. Good progress and 50mpg plus can be achieved by keeping below 3000rpm whilst higher engine speeds deliver sporting performance with reduced economy. Handling is very good in the wet and dry. It is stable and quiet at motorway speeds. Ride quality is excellent for a car of this type. Running costs and servicing costs are very reasonable. The only quality issues have been a faded seat cover and a rattle in the seat frame; both were replaced under warranty without quibble. Any further problems will be dealt with by the standard 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Vauxhall’s can depreciate fast but I got a very large discount plus no deposit, zero percent interest finance over 5 years which offsets this risk. I am very satisfied with the car and the value it represents.

Peter Brunger, October 19th 2013

i 12V Expression 3dr

Ive had two of these the first being a 10 plate when it was 6 months old and had 6000 on the clock the second being a brand new one April 2012. The first car initially was fine but after going through a puddle the engine management light came on. The Vauxhall dealer found the engine management unit costing Β£850 had blown. It was swopped under warranty. At 12,000 miles the clutch began juddering. The dealer swopped the clutch and flywheel costing Β£900 under warranty. At 16,000 the clutch again began juddering. Hoping it was a bad car I part exchanged it for a brand new one same model April 2012. Blow me at 7000 the clutch started juddering. A new clutch was fitted under warranty. At 10,000 miles I had electrical problems and the rear shock began banging. Both fixed under warranty. At 19,500 miles the clutch began juddering again. The warranty only covers the clutch up until 18,000. I wasnt prepared to pay Β£900 every 6000-10,000 miles so the car was part exchanged for a new Fiesta. I really liked the Corsa but for the mechanical problems. At 18 months old although immaculate I lost just under Β£4500 on the car. All in all I liked the car but the mechanical problems once the warranty ran out was worrying and the car looses too much too quick. I won't buy another.

ANDREW WALLACE, October 16th 2013

i 16V SXi 3dr

I have owned this car for almost 2 years, bought from a used dealer with 60k on and later found it was a ex rental car.... the insurance was cheap meaning when i transferred it over from my old car i actually got a refund! tax is great at Β£30 and the car averages about 48mpg around town and door to door driving as i sometimes do for work. however this car has cost me too much money so far! firstly the passenger window regulator broke costing me almost Β£3000 at a vauxhall dealer... then a engine management light started coming on once i changed my job which meant i wasnt doing a 20mile per day bypass commute, apparently this is the dpf... why put someone on a car thats only going to get blocked? its still going to blow out sut eventually anyway! then a few months ago the wheel bearing went at about 73k which i thought was reasonable and only cost me Β£75, then the engine light was coming on more so took it to a independant mechanic who charged me Β£270 to replace brakes, radiator, airflow meter, alternator belt, fuel pump seal and glow plug cables! which i find shocking on a 58 reg car with only 77k on and then to top it off... my drivers window regulator has now gone... meaning the cars parked up with the window taped up and i cant drive it due to it blocking my vision! i bought this car under the impression vauxhalls where reliable how wrong i was! however good points are power, economy and stereo! shame the club spec doesnt come with sculptured steel wheels like astra!

Oliver Webster, South Yorkshire, June 5th 2013

CDTi Club 5dr [AC]

I have run this car as a courtesy car for three weeks. Good points are good build quality and solid interior. Seats and driving position are good and plenty of room for my six foot plus. Very quiet save for road noise which can be loud on coarse surfaces. Good "big car" feel in the front yet adequate room for four. Boot big enough and seat folding easy but floor not level then. Excellent gear change and clutch interface with gears. Good visibilty and easy to park and manoevre. Ride and handling good with (too) light steering. Brakes could be better and don't inspire confidence.Handbrake on rear drums excellent.Downsides are alarming suscepibility to side winds and unstable feel on motorway with car needing constant steering correction. Fuel consumption is poor (35mpg) and tank size far too restricted. Could do with six speed gear box or much higher fith gear.Engine compartment is open to elements and gets dirty in wet weather- look at a VW Vauxhall. Overall I can't wait to get back to my Saab. No comparison with a Polo or Fiesta which I have driven briefly. Overall only average in today's world.

Andrew Maw, N.E.Lincs, April 18th 2013

i 16V Club 5dr

I have owned my Corsa since May 2009 when it was two years old. During this time it has proved to be very reliable, with good ride comfort and excellent fuel economy - at least 55 mpg. Best figure achieved has been 71 mpg!! I have had experienced three mechanical issues; two of these were dealt with under warranty by my dealer who, coincidently, have been excellent. I had the turbo replaced after 11 months and the windscreen wiper arm also replaced. Servicing has been done and the garage provided good service and reasonable costs. The only other mechanical part replaced was a glow plug failure about six months ago. If you're looking for a cheap car, with low running costs, excellent fuel ecomnomy, Β£30 road tax and cheap insurance get a Corsa diesel.

Graham Musto, North Yorks, April 14th 2013

CDTi Breeze 5dr

I bought this car (2012 plate) yesterday from Lookers Vauxhall in Chester and it has been a great experience. The staff at Lookers were brilliant and nothing was to much trouble. Highly recommeded Dealer!! The car is brilliant. Low running costs, basic spec is half leather, bluetooth, alloys and all the safety features you would expect from Vauxhall. The gear changes are flawless and it is suprisingly nippy for a 1.2 however will require bit of a kick down on the motorway but once up to speed it is quiet and will happily do 80mph. Overall i am more than happy and would recommend Vauxhall to anyone that asked..

Damien Challenger, Flintshire, June 26th 2012

Limited Edition 5dr

I have this car as a courtesy car as my own was smashed by an idiot running into my back and have now done 500 miles. I'll be positive first, everything about this car is fine. It looks nice, it drives well, the interior is smart and it's well equipped. In fact there is nothing to obviously criticise. The problem is I just don't like it, or rather it has no spark, no x-factor that grabs and says I'm great and this is why. It's a car made by a committee, every time I drive it I can image focus groups saying it needed x,y and z and a box was subsequently ticked. it reminds me of being at work. This car makes me sad. However, as a-b transport that is fine, comfortable, easy, accommodating and reasonably cheap this is the one for you. Just never expect charm, a human touch or a smile.

paul stewart, bucks, March 22nd 2012

i 16V SXi 5dr [AC]

A family member has a similar car to this. Recently it broke down. Both the Vauxhall dealer as well as an independent workshop have been unable to get the car running again and have 'given up'. Is this what one can expect from Vauxhall on a 4 year old Corsa. Seems a pretty poor show and certainly does not encourage one to recommend the marque!! Any suggestions

Neil Kramer, Middlesex, February 26th 2012

CDTi [90] SXi 5dr [AC]

I have owned this car for a year now and have throughly enjoyed owning it! The 1.0 can be a bit sluggish on hills but if you rev it it soon picks up and is really quiet at motorway speed. Also the cabin is beutifully made and the seats are extreemly comfortable and supportive because they are shaped to your back. The kit is basic and there is no air con but I bought it with the swappage deal and tradded in a scrap car that needed a new engine and got Β£3500 for it. Therefore including metallic paint payed Β£8395! The costs. Well tax Β£30, economy 56 MPG and just had it's first service came it at quoted price of Β£145. Thats really cheap and the only realiability issue has been banging windscreen wipers which were replaced under warranty. The car is very practical unlike many new cars it has 5 proper seats and when folded down turns into a vauxhall van! Highly recomended specially because I have a lifetime warranty or 100,000 miles and far cheaper than rivals!

Mary Walsh, Norfolk, August 15th 2011

i 12V ecoFLEX S 3dr

I have owned my 2010 secondhand Corsa for just 12 days. The car is excellent value for the money and feels very well built. It is necessery to rev the 84bhp engine if you wish to get a move on. However it is happy to pull steadily at low revs in normal town driving. The car is very quiet at all speeds and rides extremly well. There are no rattles and the interior is of a good quality. The 5 door has plenty of room and looks good. The A pillars are quite wide and it is necessary to move your head around at junctions in order to get a clear view.If I had to coplain I might say the steering is a little light in town driving but it does weight up on the open road. I feel the SXi spec is good and offers plenty of toys. Again if I was to complain handles to operate the rear windows is a bit low rent otherwise the car is an outstanding package and I would recommend it to anyone.

David Atkinson, North Yorksire, August 6th 2011

i 16V SXi 5dr [AC]

I have been driving this car for 3months now and have covered 3000miles. It is 18 months old. So far it has been ok. The fuel economy has been poor so far, although it has only done 7500 miles and is still loosening up and is slightly improving. When we first got it i was lucky to get 32mpg but now it is pushing towards 40mpg Good points: Looks very nice, goes well (although I had a 1.0polo before which immensly slow!) Solid materials, lots of kit, very safe, good handling Bad points: Not amazing on fuel, numb steering-cant feel what the front wheels are doing at all, seat base of drivers seat is wareing, uncomfortable seats, dodgey fuel gauge- it gets stuck at certain points and then the needle suddenly drops, Recall for handbrake, although the vauxhall dealer in taunton was very good!!!

Tom Morgan, somerset, June 18th 2011

i 16V SXi 3dr [AC]

This was my first car as an 18 year old male, so I needed something which was cheap to insure. I it is a 2005 model and at the time was of purchase 4 years old. I really would not recomend it as after just under 40000 miles the camshaft snapped breaking half the engine with it. this is a common fault and Vauxhall has since recalled this car model, stating that the camshaft bolts were not tightened enough. Unfortunately for me it had already broken. As you would expect vauxhall refused to pay the Β£1700 that I payed in repair costs. The good things about the car are that is it easy to park and the clutch is easy to learn if you are a new driver. Everything else is bad, the steering is a vague and has play in it. It is so loud at 70 you need to shout to have a conversation. And the car just rattles and feels like you are going to fall through the floor as you drive along.

Thomas Solomon, Surrey, May 25th 2011

i 12V Club 3dr

Just purchased a new 11 plate two weeks ago. No problems with the car, but as others have said the 1.2 is a little sluggish would have gone for a 1.4. Got the car from my local Vauxhall dealership at a good discount, would not be happy if I had paid the full price. The biggest gripe I have is the speedo has no 50 just a little mark which is quite disconcerting. Fuel economy is Ok, comfy to drive and good when on motorway - all in all happy with it.

Eric Dawber, Lancs, April 15th 2011

i 16V SXi 3dr

A fantastic little car with decent fuel economy. Was slightly wary of the 1.0l engine at first and yes it is sluggish, but it works quite well once up to speed albeit with a small amount of noise in doing so. It has a fabulous cabin which is exceptionally well built and the 3 door version does look fantastic. There's a few squeaks in the cabin but all in all, a great little car and very highly recommended!

Adam Brannon, East Yorkshire, April 2nd 2011