8V Design 5dr

This is the worst car we have ever owned - without a doubt. We bought a second hand '04 model in (what we thought was) reasonable condition. We have had it ONE MONTH and so far have had the following issues: - Mysterious leak resulting in a soaking wet front passenger seat (source yet to be identified) - CD player stopped working - Door strap broken in back passenger door - Power steering failed The last issue was a known issue that vauxhall agreed to sort for free by replacing the steering column. Car went in and was fixed for free....until it failed again a week after being 'fixed'. On going back into the dealer we were informed that the issue was the power steering pump which is NOT covered by vauxhall - surprise surprise. So we are now faced with a bill of Β£915.15 plus vat. About a fortnight ago the sales assistant in Halfords told us that we would be in for 'fun and games' having bought a Meriva - now I know what he means. Steer well away from this car - do not buy!

Cat Hughes, November 22nd 2011

CDTi Design 5dr

Firstly, if you're a petrolhead, forget this car. I bought it for two reasons, firstly I have a family so need the space that goes with having young children, and secondly I needed good fuel consumption since I drive at least 70 miles a day. The first requirement pointed to an MPV while the second ruled out most other MPVs. It's not the most exciting car in the world, but it has admirably served the purposes described above. There's always been adequate space, and I've calculated fuel consumption to be almost exactly the same as Vauxhall's published figures (combined). As an advanced driver I do drive a car sympathetically so apart from a couple of relatively minor (under Β£100) repairs, I have only had servicing to worry about over the 5 years I've had the car. This is excellent as the service interval is 20,000 miles or a year, so I can pretty well budget for that well in advance and it's not that expensive anyway. The 1.7 diesel engine isn't the pokiest in the world, but acceleration is far from dull. In fact one of the problems with this car is its image. Everyone else seems to think you're going to be a plodder and is determined to get past you at all costs. So you end up with some herbert pulling out in front of you and then slowing you down. I agree with some comments regarding visibility due to the front windscreen pillars, however this is something you soon get used to and compensate for, so it isn't the big deal some people have made it out to be.

Robin Lynch, November 8th 2011

T 16V Exclusiv 5dr

Overall this is a much better car than its predecessor. I have previously had 1.6 petrol and 1.3 diesel Merivas and this one is better than both. It handles better, is generally quieter and has better overall performance. Fuel economy is not what it might be. I expected it to be somewhat better than the 1.6 but it isn't it returns about the same fuel consumption as the larger engine. However I find the 1.4 engine flexible and has adequate power and is well able to cope with the steep banks on the North Yorks Moors with 4 adults on board. The irritating front pillar is still there but is better placed so the blind spot the in the previous model is not there to the same degree. Contrary to the remarks by your reviewer, I have not found the car noisy, even at speed on the motorway - in fact a friend commented on the quietness. It is comfortable for four adults but with five in the back is a little cramped. Equipment levels are generally good in this model, though I do feel a trip computer would have been useful. The centre flexrail would benefit from proper sides so things didn't fall out. It would be so much more useful then. Boot is ample and I like the removable floor with space underneath to keep all those bits and pieces out of the way to make for a useful load space. Generally I am very pleased with this car but I feel Vauxhall have a long way to go in terms of fuel economy. Both this and my wife's Zafira disappoint in that respect.

Geoff Walker, June 2nd 2011

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv 5dr

This is the worst car we've owned by some margin. It feels unfinished, I suspect it was rushed out, without the final stages of development, when Vauxhall hit financial difficulties. The main problems are: Lots of wind noise from the B Pillar Awful electronic handbrake, with none of the logic of other makes (doesn't even come on automatically when you switch off) AC switches on EVERY time you cycle the ignition Steering is unbelievably heavy Centre console is useless: items simply roll out into the footwells!! Engine mapping is dreadful: there are massive holes in the torque delivery DPF warning light comes on constantly, and has done from new Boot floor is badly designed and wastes lots of space Stereo has software glitches, e.g. track titles don't scroll even when selected Very strange things missing from the spec, e.g. trip computer, electric rear windows Fuel economy is very disappointing: little over 40mpg. The suicide doors aren't practical: they actually make it hard to get out of the car in a tight carpark, as there's nowhere for an adult and child to stand when you try to close the rear door! On the plus side, the handling isn't too bad.

Darren Ainsworth, May 31st 2011

CDTi ecoFLEX Exclusiv 5dr [Start Stop]

Darren Ainsworth, May 31st 2011

CDTi 16V Breeze 5dr

This is my second Meriva. The first was a 1.6 Petrol Engine. I exchanged the petrol for a diesel as I was doing much higher mileage than I expected after retiring. I am generally happy with the performance of the car and the diesel engine is quiet during running and for the most part pulls well, though on steep hills you often have to change down where I would not have done previously even with a 1.2 Corsa. Mid range acceleration for overtaking is good though. The car is comfortable and roomy and the flex space seating arrangement is excellent as is the ability to fold the seats down giving a completely flat load space for large loads. Fuel consumption is disappointing. I have never reached the claimed combined cycle figure of 55mpg typical fuel consumption being in the range 47 50mpg. Other I know with small diesel cars achieve very much better than this. In my previous experience with Vauxhall cars - 1.6 petrol Meriva and 1.2 petrol Corsas I have always been able to achieve the manufacturers combined cycle fuel consumption figure. Looking on the govt's Action on CO2 website, Vauxhall cars do not seem to come out well on fuel consumption and a diesel engine this small should really be in the Band B tax range not the Band C which it actually is. Overall Vauxhall diesel engines have a long way to go to catch up with their competitors.

Geoff Walker, February 6th 2009

i 16V Life 5dr

I bought my Meriva brand new, 05 reg. From day 1 there was an obvious problem and some very disconcerting noises when turning corners and it transpired the strut behind the dash to which the steering column is attached was not bolted to the rest of the car (Vauxhall's QC having a sandwich when this one came down the line)! It took my dealer three attempts and a visit by an engineer from Vauxhall to fix the problem. In use it has been reliable apart from a replaced exhaust gas sensor at 25,000 miles. Contrary to what other reviewers have written, in my experience the Meriva handles well, has precise light steering and the road holding is excellent; it can be thrown at silly speeds into corners (if one can actually see the corner beyond the side pillers!) and come out smiling. The economy isn't bad either, but the Easytronic gearbox is truly awful - try a Mitsubishi Lancer ES to see what a proper electronic clutch should be like. To sum up the Meriva is a bit of a curate's egg, really. Would I buy another one? Well, there's nothing else of the same size, practicality, price range.

Nigel Shuttleworth, Northumberland, January 19th 2009

CDTi Breeze 5dr

I bought a 2005 Mariva 1.7 CDTI Breeze in October 2008 with 33000 miles. After 2 weeks I noticed that the power steering was playing up. Luckily for me before I purchased the vehicle I visited the what car web site and found that this is a common fault so I made sure before I purchased the vehicle that any power steering problems would be corrected by Lookers (Heswall) at their cost. So the new power steering motor is being fixed by them FOC. Otherwise I cannot complain, the car is comfortable and seems to run at around 45mpg. Saying that I have only done 400 miles so far so I will keep you posted.

Gordon Latimer, November 3rd 2008

16V Enjoy 5dr

Bought this car(the semi auto Easytronic model, 04 plate) privately around eight months ago,with 23000 miles on the clock. Driving wise, Easytronic gearbox was idiosyncratic to start with,and if you try to drive it like a traditional auto with foot solidly down theres a significant jerk as the box changes gear. Once you learn to ease off the gas slightly in anticipation of the next change the car becomes much more smooth and comfortable on the road, though there are occasions when you go to take off at junctions, roundabouts etc,and find the car in completely the wrong gear.Kick down is quite impressive for a 1600 engine. Utilise the clutchless manual gearbox option and it handles hills and winding country roads fairly competently. Ride is quite noisy--more road noise than my last car, a Renault Scenic. Rear storage is excellent with seats folded flat; to achieve a similar load area in the Scenic the seats had to be physically removed. Still no Haynes manual available for the car, which is a pain, given that even some relatively simple jobs such as bulb replacement require a fair degree of head scratching.. Trade-in value is pathetic;if you buy one,you should be prepared to hang onto it for a good while, barring serious failures. All in all, charisma free but so far competent.

David Elsam, Merseyside, October 18th 2008

i 16V Design 5dr

It is a hire car from work. When the hire car company turned up in the Meriva I laughed as it is an odd looking MPV which I would associate with the elderly. After spending 110 miles per day in it on a range of roads I have concluded that it is comfortable and quiet. You sit quite high which was strange at first but you get used to it. It is well specced as well. I get around 400 miles on tank when driving on the motorway (where 90% of my driving takes place)and to acheive this I drive at 65mph (cruise control is great). If I am brave and decide to push it above 70mph the fuel economy is not good. It does not corner well either, at slow or faster speeds tending to roll alot and feels unbalanced. Performance is good around town and when you get to a decent motorway speed the car is quiet. It does take a while to get there though. Problem is I have been driving diesels so the mid range pick up and accleration on the Meriva seems very slow. There is a stange whining noise when accelerating quickly. Brakes are excellent. If I ever needed to buy an MPV it wouldn't be the Meriva, it's ok for families who need more space and have a budget, it's a functional, solidly built vehicle but it is not a fun machine. I don't particually enjoy driving it.

Jason Albrighton, Hampshire, September 26th 2008

CDTi Design 5dr

I can't complain about the obviously poor visability, the "A" pillar is very thick, but you can adjust your driving style to suit. The interior quality and flexablity are al fine, it is not a bad design in this respect. The big issue is the running costs,it eats front tyres and the fuel comsumption is horrendous (36 to 40 mpg) in a diesel! I have a corsa with this engine, it regularly gets over 55 mpg, and I can't believe the huge differential. Vauxhall dealer is next to useless as well, they don't care about the lone purchaser, just the fleets I assume. The only other problem is trade in value, this car's value plummets, as a result of the running costs, I would not buy another.

neil webb, September 13th 2008

i 16V Breeze 5dr

Poor fuel consumption. 35mpg average. Nowhere near what official figures say it will get. To many blind spots, especially in front of front doors and front driving mirror, Why such a big mirror for a small screen? Good high driving position. Decent drive but no power on hills if you have full load.

Chris Emery, B.A.N.E.S., August 1st 2008

16V Design 5dr

Easily the worst car I have ever own. Bought in 2003 and has had a catalogue of faults. Steering rack repalced twice, gear linkage and as a result clutch (the garage told me that part of the linkage is made of plastic and they see loads of them), Repeated brake system faults. A shame the quality is so appauling because it's not bad to drive and has a decent turn of speed, interior has been durable enough. Running costs are terrible. It does not matter how carefully you drive the fuel economy is simply crippling. The last quarter of a tank disappears in a blink. We take our Clio whenever possible it just costs to much to take the Meriva any distance. Selling it soon. Pitting the poor soul who gets this one. We have a phrase 'Meriva it's a car but it sounds like a disease'.

Richard Perry, Lancashire, May 23rd 2008

16V Enjoy 5dr

04 Meriva Easytronic 16.16v Had the car 3 months oil light came on no oil in Engine uses alot of oil not very good atall, Running costs 39PG not good nice car to many faults

mark shurrock, April 20th 2008

8V Life 5dr

i bought a 1.6 8v 04 i had some steering rack problems rattling noise found out to be a broken joint on the steering column also the gear linkage broke it popped out when put in reverse also can sombody tell me why it uses a hell of alot of oil apart from that its not a bad car

Brett Davies, Cheshire, April 11th 2008

i 16V Design 5dr

I purchased an ex Vauxhall company 1.8 Easytronic with just a few months Vauhall ownership and 4600 miles on the clock. Purchased from a local main dealer as an 'as new' vehicle with initial service and inspection fully stamped up. After 1 year of very carefull and gentle driving it became due for its First Service at 10600 miles. The local dealer from whom I purchased it insisted that this should be a Major Service (2 yrs or 20,000 miles) and reluctantly I agreed to this although actual mileage was half this. During the Major Service it was established a drive shaft boot clip was missing and I assumed that this would be covered by the warranty. No such luck - an additional cost of Β£98.93 was added to the service bill. I cannot prove that the clip was not fitted at the time of manufacture or at the time of pre-delivery inspection so I had to stand the cost.(The 'Service dept' say a stone may have knocked it off! If thats a sensible statement - how do vauhall ever manage to rally cars). The car does all its asked - but if Vauxhall inspection & warranty is as bad as I believe then it will be my first and last Vauxhall.

Doug Hitchin, Essex, March 11th 2008

i 16V Club 5dr

This is my wifes car which we bought to replace a Seat Ibiza to make it easier to get out 18 month old into her car seat as well as being generally more flexible. 10/10 on the flexability from with plenty of room. Its OK to drive. Its no drivers car but it is comfortable and quiet. Reliability has been acceptable. It has the clutch judder when cold which has been mentioned elsewhere as well as a couple of electrical faults. Occasionally the hazard lights come on for no reason and won't go off and sometimes the EPS warning light comes on when the electric windows are operated. Does anybody else have these problems? I'll get it looked at when its serviced next week. Overall a good car. I just hope it stays reliable!

Lee Taylor, Oxfordshire, March 6th 2008

8V Life 5dr

We bought our 04 Meriva 1.6 8V life in Jan 07 with 5000 miles on the clock at a cost of Β£7000. The car is very practical and comfy on long journeys, it can swallow loads of luggage, its reasonably reliable but there are issues which people need to know about with the Meriva range. The Meriva take an age to warm up from cold. Changing to a new thermostat will not cure the problem. The Meriva air con unit can wail very loudly and become obtrusive - even when given a pass on a health check at a VX dealership. The Meriva wash wipe motor is extremely loud and sounds like a horn when operated. The dash boards rattle. The clutches (16V engines are most affected) can be juddery when cold. This can seriously damage the engine and affects other Vauxhall vehicles (check VX owner websites for info). Some new models still only come with a radio cassette. How stingy on a Β£10K+ motor. The gearing is set to cope with the size / shape of the car. At 70mph in 5th gear the 1.6 is already pulling 3500rpm, so its noisy at motorway speeds. We won't be buying another but will look for a C - Max next year. I had one as a company vehicle and it was far better than the Meriva. Family car - maybe? Good car - nope. VX need to try harder.

Tim Marshall, February 21st 2008

i 16V Design 5dr

Unispiring but very practical. 1.6 engine pathetic. Like the tinted rear windows

Graham Hardy, January 3rd 2008

8V Design 5dr

I bought my 04-reg Meriva at 12 months old for half its original price, and with 20,000 miles on the clock. I really cannot fault it, although it is not particularly economical - 35mpg whatever the conditions. As another reviewer discovered, the exhaust recirculation valve had to be replaced under warranty at about 30,000 miles, and again at 60,000 miles for Β£160. Also, again as another reviewer found, the gear selection system had to be replaced at about 50,000 miles (Β£100). On the other hand, the front brake pads did 50,000 miles, and rears are still going strong. I am thinking of replacing it soon, but don't know what with, other than another one.

Mike Dowsing, December 15th 2007