Vauxhall Vectra Estate (95 - 02) Owner reviews

just bought this car recently. im a trader so got it for £500. its a 1997 (R) with 128000 miles. i know the car reviews arent good for the 2.0 di, sayings it an unrefined engine and not very powerful. but it does drive well, yes its noisy but it does shift it you want it to. im 18 so its quick for my age lol. things wrong with it is it does rattle and vibrate and again very noisy and unrefined. but its very economical and insurance is very cheap for my age. i must like it as ive just bought another one as well as this for my business. that is a 1.8 ls estate automatic. 2000 (W) with 88,000 for £600 so these are very cheap cars now to buy. i do recommend for a workhorse.

michael robertson, worcestershire, January 16th 2009

Di LS 5dr

This car is ridiculous it smells like an old women and goes lke one to top speed must be in the region of 89-95 wich is waste 2 be honest i h8t this car its wak i dont n why i bought one i wished d bought something german and classy like say a bmw or a merc maybe even an audi i hate this car it doesnt hold the road well and it understeers like a shopping trolley when the next one comes out i will definitley be bying it

mark seed, lancashire, January 12th 2009

T V6 VXR [280] 5dr

Purchased 55 plate from main dealer 14 months ago with 22K on the clock. List of faults have included loud knocking sound from suspension. 3 garages have so far been unable to identify the fault. Recall on handbrake. Key fob malfunction (3 visits to put it right). Currently in garage requiring a new manifold and sensor (£500+ bill envisaged). Fault on rear light. The build quaility is poor. The tailgate rattles and seat catches do not work. Most unreliable car I've owned in 20 years of driving. Also had a (y plate) 2.2 Astra a few years ago which also had a number of faults. Back to buying Fords.

Gary Deadman, November 4th 2008

CDTi SRi [150] 5dr

AFTER RUNNING OLD BUT RELIABLE CARS FOR YEARS,I CHANGED TO A 2004 MODEL WITH 45000 MILES ON THE CLOCK,IT WAS BRAND NEW COMPARED TO WHAT I WAS USED TO.THE GEAR CHANGE IS LUMPY, AT 50000 WHAT SOUNDED LIKE THE THRUST BEARING HAD GONE, WAS INDEED THE FLY WHEEL THAT COST 647.00 POUND. DEALER PRICE WAS DOUBLE.IT NEEDED TWO SNAPPED SPRINGS REPLACED FOR MOT ANOTHER 356.00,INDICATERS HAVE A MIND OF THERE OWN,AND I CANT WAIT TO GET RID, AND GET SOMETHING OLD RELIABLE AND CHEAP TO RUN.

john norris, tyne and wear, October 26th 2008

CDTi Elite [150] 5dr

The most I've ever paid for a car, and one of the worst. Dogged by electrical problems, new cam sensors, spectacular oil cooler failure, stiff and whiny steering, disappointingly slow, this car has spent more time in the garage in the few months that I've had than on the road. And it's only done 65000 miles. Interior quality not that great for supposedly high spec car.It is off the road as I write. The only thing good are that it looks nice,it's comfy and sounds good. If you're thinking about one, don't. No more Vauxhalls, and this one is gonna get sold soon.

Nigel Sandeman, Highland, October 21st 2008

V6 CDX 5dr

i have not owned the car long so i am still getting used to it road holding i find not as good as my older vectra sri witch was more seat of your pants and real whereas whith my new one it is more wooly and unpredictable unless in sport mode then it goes ok. the boot space and leg room are great as are seating position and the safety features overall not a bad modern car let you know more in time after the first service

sandy austin, gwent, July 21st 2008

i Direct SXi 5dr

I have just returned this car to the lease company after 3 years and 57,000 miles. In that time not one thing failed , not even a lightbulb. Just 2 services and 2 tyres were needed. Fuel consumption averaged 45.1 mpg over the 3 years. The car has excellent carrying capability for both passengers and luggage. There was never a need to compromise seating positions irrespective of the load being carried. It's an easy and comfortable drive capable of covering large distances without tiring driver or passengers. I have replaced it with another nothing else seems able to match its mix of space and performance and affordability.

David Mitchard, July 14th 2008

CDTi Design [150] 5dr

I bought this car sept 2007 with 115000, it is a 1.9 cdti ls,estate, 6 speed. It is a brillant car, only fault i had with it, was the engine mounts that had to be changed. It has loads of power, and i have even towed a mercedes sprinter lwb off the duel carriage way near my home, and it weighed 3.5 tonnes, effortlessly, and continued another 14 miles on varied gradients to a local merc dealership,. The vehicle is awesome, fantastic on fuel and very powerful, and handles like a hatchback, which i also own, which is no way near as good, 1.8 life, with only 33000 on the clock, and drinks petrol in town, this estate. This estate is used for carrying almost anything, and i would hate to think what weights i have carried in the large estate,again, not a problem. This estate must be one of the biggest in its class, and does the job, admirably. But if you buy, make sure it is the 6 speed 150bhp version,

john nicholls, June 3rd 2008

CDTi Design [150] 5dr

I bought a 1997 1.8 LS P-reg at 134,000 miles for £500 in 2007. For 10 months I had no problems at all - it always started first time, every time and was brilliant over the winter period. Nothing leaks or squeaks. Just as it was approaching its MoT in May 2008, the engine management light came on and stayed on, and the car would cut out several times a day (though on some days, it never did). It lost a bit of power, especially when attempting to move away from traffic lights and junctions. I was overtaken by smaller, less powerful cars which was embarrassing to say the least. The door trim came off in my hands and I had to stick it back on with superglue (TRUE). The ignition jammed and the key would not turn, leaving me stranded at work. I had to have a new barrel fitted at enormous expense. I've just been told the reason for the engine warning light is the cam sensor and that has cost me £120. The suspension coil spring fractured recently and that was £200. It was the only thing it failed on the MoT, apart from the exhaust leaking a bit. The remote central locking stopped working two months after I bought the car, the driver's window keeps falling out when being wound back up (it's electric) and the offside rear door jammed and would not open. Now it is open again, it won't lock! Finally, the radio LED display doesn't illuminate. The clutch appears to be as strong as a lion and the brakes are excellent, but the wing mirror was torn off in the car wash.

pauline farnworth, lancs, May 19th 2008

LS 5dr [125]

Everybody seems to have diesels these days, but I bought this petrol estate as a familly car and for my wife to use. I guessed that being low mileage it wouldn't cost much more to run than a diesel version which would have set me back another 2 grand. Economy is low (average 26 mpg) but no worse than the diesel C8 I owned previously! The 19 inch wheels cost £124 per tyre which wasn't a shock, but is still a lot of money. This car looks great and it looks fast. It pulls away from a standstill slower than I would like, but second gear and upwards it really shifts. The pull in 6th gear on the motorway is very strong and you can easilly find yourself doing 100 mph if your not careful and that is in part due to the fact that you can hardly hear the engine. If you change down to overtake on a country road, you are pinned into the back of your seat. Generally, you don't have to work it hard at all to keep up with flow of traffic. Having previously owned a large MPV, I can honestly say, what is the point unless you have more than 5 people to carry. The car easily transports our 3 kids all in car seats in the back and the boot swallows all the junk that a familly of five needs for weekends away. There is no messing around with seats and the performance of this engine doesn't seem dented by a full load, and I mean a full load. It is the best car I have owned by a country mile.

Ben Price, Kent, April 16th 2008

T SRi [Sat Nav] 5dr

I bought mine in June 2005 from a main dealer. It had been used by the sales manager and covered around 14,500 miles. It has now covered just over 53,000 miles. It is comfy and drives well on smooth roads. The boot is huge and so far has been able to take all we needed it for. It doesn't feel very secure round fast corners and doesn't inspire confidence when driving quickly. It does around 45 mpg in all conditions which seems fair for the size and weight of the car. At just over 45,000 miles and the day after the warranty ran out, the engine management light came on which cost me around 300 quid to get fixed (after Vauxhall agreed to pay 60% as the car had just come out of warranty). About two months later the light came on again (same symptons, i.e. loss of power) but went out after I had stopped and turned the engine off. The Vauxhall dealer was less than helpful at the time. The light has now come on again (another two months later) and I managed to get it to the dealer whilst still on. Diagnosis, the same part that was replaced is at fault again. Vauxhall dealers do not give any kind of warranty on their repair works, so unless Vauxhall agrees to pay some of it I now face a 180 quid bill just to find the fault. I thought by buying a Vauxhall I hade made a sensible choice. The car is not too bad (all cars can develop faults) but the two dealers I have used are rather useless and in my opinion do not qualify for the word service.

Arnold Warhonowicz, January 2nd 2008

CDTi Elite [150] 5dr

i bought my v reg 1999 vectra estate 2L 16v TD sept 06 with 224,397 genuine miles on the clock, it has now done 256,597 and its never missed a beat, just put 2 new front wheel bearings in for my own pease of mind,iv changed its oil, and oil an fuel filters every 3000 miles and the air filter every 6000, iv seen quiet a few on ebay with less than half the miles of mine, with failed/faulty fuel pumps, when she gives up and dies, i shall buy the newer 1.9 6speed, all the best for 2008, billy

William Hawkes, December 29th 2007

DTi LS 5dr

I have a 2005 55 Vectra Breeze (R2) sport, running on 150bhp from a 1.9cdti. It is very cheap to run as I use it for taxi'ing. It is very powerful and has all the added extras, such as cruise control, cup holders, abs, every thing you need. The only problem is i have brake light which will not go off.

connor shreenan, lanarkshire, November 14th 2007

CDTi 16V Breeze [150] 5dr

I have an ongoing problem which cannot be sorted - the engine cuts out for two to three seconds at any time, then comes to life again.

william taylor, south yorkshire, November 12th 2007

CDTi Design [150] 5dr

Well, I am really going to struggle to find anything good to say about this car. I got it about a year ago and since the day I bought it, it has been nothing but trouble, mainly engine-wise. It is seriously loud and sounds like the exhaust is blowing all of the time. I put it up on a ramp and replaced the corroded parts and it just kept on getting louder and louder. The engine has oil literally pouring out of it and when driving it all splashes back and hits the exhaust with a worrying burning smell wafting in through the car. I should mention at this point that the car has only covered 70,000 miles, so they're obviously not very well made. The inside is cheap and plasticky and things seem to fall off in your hands, including the glove box! I would never buy a Vauxhall again and after a year of owning it am now forced to sell it as spares or repair. Steer well clear of these.

martin birchall, September 17th 2007

V6 GSi 5dr

I have the estate model. I've had the car a year and covered 37K miles. It's chiefly a load carrier and I use it for work. In that respect for the price the car can't be beaten. People space inside is excellent. It cruises along motorways quiet and relaxed. The tall sixth gear is at home here, as it ticks over at 2000 rpm at 75mph ish. I am disappointed by the spec on the Club: no cup holder, extra storage ia blanked off up by the rear view mirror, no rear internal lights, no sun screen at the top of the windscreen etc and the horn is embarrassing to sound (best just to flash your lights) and the radio is adequate at best. The dash and plastics, is well just fuctional. It left me stranded once, when the fuel pump failed. Five weeks later I got my car back (thanks Sherwoods , master at incompetence in car fixing and customer service, you wont see my car again). I now have an ABS warning light. It's just the light because I tried the brakes! So I can't say the car has been reliable. I still look back at my old VW Passat estate with fondness. We did 100k together and it never missed a beat. It was nicer inside and the engine was better. The only problem was that the boot was not big enough.

Gordon Gledhill, Durham, July 21st 2007

CDTi Club [150] 5dr

This car is ultra-rubbish - I will never buy another Vauxhall again. My car was originally bought at 51,000 miles, which is not exactly high. Since then I've had repaired: three injectors, an alternator, the breather pipes, a crankshaft sensor, cam sensor, a gearbox (my mechanic said don't bother fitting a Vauxhall one as a Daewoo one is built better!), the head gasket, a clutch master cylinder, clutch, fuel pump, suspension bushes, water valve, two water pumps, a new key (the old one stopped working) and a throttle body. Do I need to say any more?

Darren Clarle, Warwickshire, June 6th 2007

SRi 140 5dr

I own an almost immaculate '56 plate (1 yr old) Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi, 150bhp, SRi estate. I bought this car from a car supermarket after the previous owner swallowed the initial 43% depreciation hit. Ouch! The car has a very smooth, quiet and torquey engine with plenty of pull across all gears. Traditional 'diesel rattle' is minimal at low speeds and virtually non-existent when under way. It keeps visits to the pump at a minimum and my wallet happy. There have been no issues with reliability thus far. The ride and handling is very sure-footed indeed. Since the Vectra is destined for the UK have undergone specific 'tweaks' compared to their European counterparts, the ride and handling is every bit as good as the highly acclaimed Mondeo. The boot is simply cavernous and will devour all that you care to put in it. Legroom and headroom in the cabin is fantastic. The seats are firm, yet comfortable with good quality trim. Standard equipment levels are very good, featuring all the toys most people would be happy with. The majority of fixtures and fittings seem very well screwed together but there are a few areas which let down the over all level of quality (nothing major, though).

Andrew Chesson, Gwent, May 29th 2007

CDTi SRi [150] 5dr

I have the 1.8 pre-facelift model in basic LS trim. This is an 04 model which I purchased neraly a year ago now with 22k on the clock. If you need space at a bargain price with sensible economy then look no further. The estate is huge and practical and has good strong securing eyes to keep the load still. This is a quiet car, excellent cruising at the legal limit and very comfortable. Economy is good at 37 mpg mixed driving and upto 43 mpg on a continuous trip to the south of France. The tax on this is high at 190kg/m3 but later models are less I believe but have a higher revving 1.8VVTI engine (not tried one). Its true that the car is a little bland inside and out but it does grow on you and is very receptive to adding some subtle styling (bigger alloys, small spoliers, extra chrome etc.) which is available from a host of outlets. Reliability is so far 100% - first MOT and service due shortly (fingers crossed) Overall excellent, visit http://www.vectra-c.com for some enthusiastic vectra owners - a great support network at no cost.

Mark Filby, Suffolk, May 14th 2007

i LS 5dr

After 3 years and over 100,000 miles what do you replace a Vectra estate with? Another Vectra estate. It may not be the sharpest drive but I've never had another car that has been so reliable or well put together. The space inside is just awesome, what ever you need it to be it does well - long distance business cruiser, family hold all, builders van on a DIY weekend, tow car, - it does the lot. Looking forward to the new one coming in mid life crisis SRi XP spec!

Simon White, May 11th 2007