TSI SE 5dr

1.4 TSi (122 bhp) Estate SE, manual 6 spd Extras Self park, reversing camera,leather seat, mirror pack (41 Ave MPG my peak is 52 mpg on a run & lowest 34 min city driving). Spookily quiet engine (after my Focus diesel) with enough torque and a slick gear change making for relaxed driving. Performance is there if you need it. Ride comfort is good and handles modern pot holed roads well, on motorways with the quiet engine it is very relaxed cruising. Interior quality is good - nice touchscreen,seats comfortable, adjustable steering wheel suits most. Rear seat passengers well catered for. Estate boot good & remote flip down seats (don't fold flat) rear seatbelts don't get tangled and all the cubby holes, shopping hooks and hidden floor compartment in boot where you can store the parcel shelf means space really useful. Not as wide as my focus which is a shame. Best features adaptive cruise ( it is brilliant ), self park, rear camera and the touch screen all add to a good driving experience. Worst - placing the cigar lighter power supply at the back of the centre console - great for rear passengers not so good for wire trailing sat nav users. Seems to fog up more than my Focus on rainy days.SE well specced some options expensive & why can't you spec 140 bhp engine on SE ? An odd thing is tow bar slot under the rear bumber ( I don't have a tow bar so the slot is open to dirt and road sludge )-VW do a clip in cover - you have to buy it as an extra- dissapointing penny

Hugh Phipps, Glos, February 8th 2015

TSI SE 5dr

My car is actally a Danish spec highline model, its closest equivalent is the UK SE model. This car is unique in being the only C-Segment premium estate. The cabin quality is impressive. There is adaptive cruise control (configurable in Sport, Normal or Economy modes), which is superb and makes motorway driving a jaunt. Another nice detail is the automatic hand brake. The 14 way adjustable ergo seat with massage will allow anyone to find a superb seating position (not sure if this is on the UK model). The 1.4 122 PS TSI motor is quick enough, but no racer. It is refined, almost silent most of the time, but gives a satisfying growl under hard acceleration. Fuel economy is impressive for a petrol, 4 months of ownership I can now get to within 5% of the official combined economy on trips of 25 minutes or more. The steering is informative, and the suspension comfortable, yet nicely communicative; it is a great car to drive on the daily commute. Practicality and interior space are excellent. However, I'm 6'4" and there isn't fantastic space for an adult to sit behind me, though it can be done on shorter trips. Would be amazing with a sliding rear seat so you could sacrifice boot space for legroom. The boot is very spacious and swallows a large pram with ease, though you will need to fold up the boot floor in order for it to fit. Even then, there will still be space to fit a couple of cabin cases. There are cool practical touches, I love the ski flap between back seats.

Ian Gibson, March 14th 2014

TDI 105 SE 5dr

My last 5 cars have been Hondas but I was looking for a car with a small diesel engine promising low emissions and good economy so the offer of a 10 plated (March) Golf Estate with 4500 miles on the clock at a bargain price was too good to miss. The car is no looker but it exudes quality. The fit and finish are superb. It rides well with wind and road noise well supressed and it offers excellent ergonomics. The cabin is a pleasing place to be, offering good levels of comfort and plenty of luggage space. I have covered 3000 miles of mixed motoring over the last two months. My only real complaint is that the high gearing and small engine compromise flexibilty. It is too easy to be caught in the wrong gear- in this respect the car is very unforgiving and would benefit from a 6 speed box. Even on the level at 40mph, with the gear indicator indicating 5th, the engine often sounds and feels stressed. At the moment I cannot see where VW's claimed 62 mpg is coming from for at 50mpg it is no more economical than my previous and much more powerful Civic. However, this concern apart, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Malcolm Boulter, Shrops.-, March 8th 2011

SE TDI 5dr

Business lease car delivered on 17th December 2008 and covered 2500 miles to date. Replaces a 2005 Golf Hatchback 1.9SE. Loved the Golf Hatchback and love this. The extra boot space is really useful with a young family and the car gets a lot of attention because - despite reviews on other websites - there aren't that many around. Getting 45 to the gallon (at the filling station) and the fuel consumption computer is remarkably accurate, but expecting better once the engine loosens up. All in all, very impressed. It's just an extended version of the previous car, but in black, with the rear tinted glass, looks the part, but cheap to run and insure. Highly recommended.

Paul Donovan, Manchester, January 23rd 2009

SE TDI 130 5dr

4 years on still my favourite car. Solid state body and engineering. Has given 66.6 mpg on long journey, but averaged 58.1 driving at 70 last weekend on long run. Handling and roadholding excellent, very four-square. Gearbox and engine wonderful. Only a couple of small faults with a switch. I have driven long distances for 36 years and I can't find a car I'd rather have for the spec and price. I have the estate model and it's been spacious as well as having excellent acceleration and performance.

D Dugdall, November 8th 2008

Sportline TDI 5dr

I picked up my Golf on the 1st september and it is lovely, smooth and powerful. Holds the road really well, I bought it to replace an 04 Renault Laguna 1.9 dci GT which although had more gadgets had engine management issues. My only disappointments have been that the chrome roof bars, as stated in the brochure, were only available in black (we were made aware of this on order) and also the aux in connection for MP3 was missing, apparently my car is an older model than the brochure. However tne dealer remedied this by fitting an IPOD connector in the glove box free of charge (retail Β£150). I ordered the Sensor pack which includes rear parking sensors, tyre pressure sensors and cruise control,(Β£295) which saved alot of money. Also have the panoramic sunroof which is wonderful and will be even better if it ever stops raining!!! So far so good, long may it continue.

laura cochrane, hampshire, September 10th 2008

SE TDI DPF 5dr

I've just taken delivery of my new Golf 1.9TDi SE estate with a DSG gearbox. It's taken nearly six months to arrive, but I have to say that so far I think it's well worth the wait. My previous company car was a VW Passat SE estate with the 140 PD engine, so I was a little worried that the Golf would fall short of the mark in terms of power and refinment. Although it hasn't got the same power as the Passat, it's still got a lot more get up and go that I expected, and the handling definitely has the edge over the Passat. The ride and road noise are almost as good as the Passat, which is real surprise. The DSG 'box is an absolute dream - why on earth would anyone want a manual if you had the choice? The old adage that autos are thirsty is out the window - with less than 100 miles on the clock, I'm getting 52mpg travelling on A-roads and around town. The only real let-down is the engine noise, which is more noticable at low speeds than the 140 PD lump. However, I think this is more down to the 1.9 engine being noiser rather than the Golf having less soundproofing than the Passat. The back end styling isn't wonderful, either, but overall it's an absolutely great company car. I chose this car over a Passat or a Mondeo, both of which I have driven, so I was pretty worried that I'd made a mistake and bought a pup, but I'm genuinely surprised at just how good this car is.

Greg Bennett, Staffordshire, April 14th 2008

SE TDI 5dr

I wrote a review back in April when I took delivery of the car & have since clocked up 5000 miles. The car handles well....I still think there is a little too much engine noise though. It's well equipped but full climate control and steering-wheel controls for the audio system would make a huge difference. My biggest 'gripe' is the MPG.....I'm probably only averaging about 42mpg while I was expecting in excess of 50 and I'm not driving hard. I've had a pigeon through the front grille (@ Β£20) and clipped wing-mirrors with another car which cost @ Β£200 for a replacement indicator + labour...ouch! All in all 'fairly' happy.

Mark Denison, Herts, April 14th 2008

SE TDI DPF 5dr

Just an update on my earlier review. The engine is still tight at 3500 miles but I am getting 45+ MPG all the time. Some fills I get 50+ MPG. This is with very varied driving on each tankful some short trip days, some fast A road days and some very fast days! Starting to really appreciate just how good this car is. Quite glad now that I didn't buy another Subaru (Fancied the new diesel Legacy) this is so cheap to run! I even smiled when I renewed my Insurance this month! Β£142.00 Full comp.Protected!!

Richard Pearce, Northants, April 10th 2008

S TDI 5dr

I test drove a 1.9 S tdi estate at my local dealers with a view to buying this model. It was practical roomy but the engine was far noisier than my VW Bora 1.9 tdi 130bhp. Decided on a Skoda Octavia. The car was delivered new but had repaired accident damage and other body faults. Was rejected and went back to VW to place an order for a Golf Estate 1.9 SE. They told me there was a least a 20 week wait for a car. Refused to give a predicted trade in price on my VW and made the buying process completely useless. Had to place an order for my second choice a Jetta diesel, which was available within two weeks. Just what has happened to VW. Buying a new car used to be a pleasurable experience. It has turned into a real trial.

Steven Bedford, Norfolk, February 20th 2008

S TDI 110 5dr

I own my vw golf est on a97 reg it is a 1.9ldeisel and it has done a164000 miles and is still going strong.it is a non turbo but what car does not list my car.

mark brimble, devon, February 9th 2008

SE TDI 5dr

After 5 months and 8,000 miles, I'm delighted with the Golf. It replaced a desperately disappointing Mercedes B200 CDI, and driving is fun again. Most diesel engines take up to 10,000 miles to loosen up fully, but this one has had plenty of verve from the start. It's noisier than some rivals but only under acceleration. Handling and steering response are excellent and much better than the Mark IV Golf. So far, so very good.

David Duvall, Berkshire, January 19th 2008

SE TDI 115 5dr

Good performance, good mpg, handles well. But in the last month, I've had the windscreen wiper mechanism break down and then the gearbox go. Repairs around Β£1000 (Β£130 + Β£800). Ouch.

Andrew Fry, December 17th 2007

S TDI 5dr

I was and still am thinking of buying this car, looking at the service costs obtained from the dealers I am a little shocked. I intend to keep mine 4 to 5years and I found it needs a new cambelt every 4 years or 60,000miles which ever comes sooner, at todays prices of around Β£400 I understand the 1.6 petrol engine is a chain drive camshaft but is being dropped shortly in favor of a 1.4 supercharged and turbo unit. Would also like a DSG gearbox but you have to move up to an SE and then the DSG box on the top of that, makes it an expensive car.

Geoffrey Charlesworth, West Yorkshire, October 18th 2007

SE TDI 5dr

I bought this car to replace a two-year-old Audi A4 Avant. I have now owned the Golf for 20 months and 38,000 miles. During this time it has proved to be the best car I have owned. It has excellent storage space in the car and in the boot, with plenty of cubby-holes for storing all those odds and ends that I could never find a place for in the A4. It is comfortable, with good legroom in the back. It's easy and relaxing to drive both in town and on country roads. The handling is excellent through slow and fast corners, with minimal roll. Cruise control is smooth and easy to use. Over the 38,000 miles completed so far, I have achieved an average of 60mpg (checked when filling.) Faster trips do have a significant effect on fuel consumption, but always betters 50mpg. The engine was quite noisy for the first 1000 miles or so, but became quieter after running in. The only negative points I have encountered to-date are: - it is not the quietest of cars at speed due mainly to excessive tyre noise; - the 3 cigarette lighter sockets do not work when the ignition is off, and the interior light and radio turn off about 20 minutes after stopping the car. Saves the battery but really annoying. - the 1.9Tdi can be very noisy on starting when temperatures drop much below zero. It can also take 10 miles to warm up properly. - the quality of some of the plastics are not up to the standards of previous VWs or Audis I've owned and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the A4.

P Magnitio, Bucks, September 19th 2007

SE TDI 110 5dr

I've been driving this for 3 months and covered 10K miles. The acceleration is good off the mark (although the turbo makes wheel spins common to the unfamiliar) but where it really shines is in its excellent mid range performance. From A-road to motorway speeds there is always plenty of "oomph" available and the engine noise is well isolated, even giving a surprisingly pleasing growl when revved hard (as an aside this has been completely lost in the Mk. V Golf where the 105PS diesel engine is loud, rattles and makes you feel like you are driving a bus). Driving position is good and controls are well poistioned, having a quality feel to them both in touch and operation. Cabin materials are high quality and everything is solidly finished- the only sign of wear on this 75K mile old example is to the leather steering wheel. Where the driving experience falls short is in terms of handling. The steering is on the heavy side, particularly at lower speeds and has a small but annoying dead zone in the steering wheel motion. The car has quite a bit of body roll in the corners and lacks the poise that I found in my previous Astra MK4 and a Focus I've driven. There is lots of luggage space, dash mounted cup holders and big door pockets but a small glove box and passenger legroom is inadequate with tall occupants in the front compromising comfort. Overall: excellent engine, performance, refinement, mediocre handling and dynamics with potentially good practicality.

Richard Fletcher, September 23rd 2006

SE TDI 110 5dr

I have had this car for 6 years now and so far my complaints are as follows: 1) replaced electric window motor three times; 2) transmission is not very smooth (usual on VWs); 3) inadequate rear legroom. Its good points include: 1) solid build; 2) amazing fuel consumption especially on motorways (while motoring in Italy I clocked 1,100 kms [680 miles] on one tank of fuel!!!!) 3) performance to rival most petrol engines; 4) reliability. VWs have a reputation for being boring cars. There is an element of truth in this but the vast majority of customers rank quality and reliability above performance. A previous contributor prefers a Ford Focus to the VW Golf. There is no doubt that Ford make excellent cars; but I still have to drive a Ford that inspires as much confidence as a VW. I have always opted for a VW for one simple reason. I cannot afford a Merc or a BMW and as far as Audis are concerned - well they are just disguised VWs, aren't they, and rather pricey. Quite simply, VWs are the best buy taking everything into consideration. I'm tempted to think that the new Volvo S40 might address my needs equally well particularly as they are very competitively priced.

Vincent Mifsud, May 3rd 2006

T Sport 5dr

I have owned the 1.8T estate for three and a half years, and so far, so very good. With the exception of a couple of boot locks corroding due to a leaky washer jet on the rear window, all has been running pretty well. I have covered 102,000 miles, most of them on the motorway. It handles well whether fully laden (and it usually is) or not. Its speed is impressive from standing and on overtaking. The Golf is the 'safe bet'; it's not a gambling man's car and if it was classified as a colour it would be classed as 'beige' - but it's like a can of Ronseal varnish.... 'It does exactly what it does on the tin'. I'm about to change my Golf for no other reason than I'm a tad bored of it. I am sticking with the 'beige' fleet, I'm changing for the more econimcal 140bhp Passat TDI SE, this time a saloon - my fourth VW in 12 years. Oh, how I need to get out more...

Paul Paterson, Middlesex, March 18th 2006

T 5dr

This vehicle is simple enough to drive. However, the starter motor has failed twice, I am now on my second one. I have owned the car for about six months, although it is a 97/P-reg, so maybe it's the age of the car. It has a lot of body roll in fairly tight corners and really objects to going into first gear when cold. Other than that it is quite comfortable and is quite often in great demand by other family members who don't have the boot space in their own cars.

Sareanne Walsh, September 27th 2005

S TDi 115 5dr

The best bit of this car is the engine - it really is superb. In my opinion it was the first diesel engine that rivaled petrols for power. The acceleration in second gear can be best described as manic: it really goes. It even accelerates up hills in 6th gear on the motorway. However the handling is soft, which does mean the ride quality is good, and I guess it encourages slower driving, because the engine doesn't. The engine may be quite noisy but when cruising it settles down completely, and in some ways the noise is kind of nice, it's an engine and you know its there. The cabin, as with any Mk 4 Golf is superb and brilliantly crafted. Our car is mainly used in town and still achieves 45mpg, and on motorway runs it gets 60mpg. The equipment and practicality are good, and running costs pretty good. Our local dealer breaks the normal VW service trend and provides good customer care and free courtesy cars.

William Anstey, June 26th 2005