V6 TDI 245 Altitude 5dr Tip Auto

It is quiet,quick, comfortable, very economical for a large SUV and the altitude model is good to drive. It handles well and grips the road very well. Its build quality is excellent and my 2 year old model (owned from new)has had no problems whatsoever. I have the surround view camera and the electric 'Vienna' seats which are excellent. It tows a 2 ton boat & trailer without a problem and is very stable. In short I feel it is an underrated car. I bought mine through 'Drive the Deal' with 8K off.

JOHN BUTLER, March 5th 2015

V6 TDI 245 R Line 5dr Tip Auto

Updated to exact model. What Car seem to have a downer on this car. Not only do they omit the R Line variants, they seem obsessed with 7 seat capacity. Not all of us want 7 seats. I bought a 245 R Line with a few optional extras through Carfile and saved a whopping Β£6k on the dealer price. The car has ample space, is very logically laid out in the cabin and has so many standard features the optional extras are a bit of a luxury. A panoramic sunroof, keyless entry and start, remote electric tailgate and full size spare and tyre pressure monitor are some of the standard features. The engine is very responsive and with 550nm of torque easily enough to embarrass a few hot hatches at the traffic light derby. There is little body roll for such a big vehicle and rear passengers have the luxury of sliding and reclining rear seats. Now the bad point. It's a big 4x4 so is never going to be frugal economy wise, but it is capable of 30+mpg if driven sensibly. The simple answer is if you don't want big fuel bills don't buy a big SUV. Various reviews go on about residuals and whilst the Touareg is worth less than the opposition after the same years, it also cost less in the first place. If you want bling go for the Cayenne, X5 etc, but if you want a SUV that can actually cope off road, is reliable, excellently equipped and has an air of understatement, then the Touareg is the right choice. Unless you really want 7 seats and in which case shouldn't you be looking at a people carrier

Phil Hurst, March 3rd 2014

V6 TDI Altitude 5dr Tip Auto

I have the new R-LINE model which is almost fully loaded, the ride is good and comfortable and has an excellent sporty look which is a lot better than the date Discovery. Although the car is only 8 days old I am getting around 37mpg on a run and around 28-30 in town. Overall I am delighted with this car and will replace it in 2015 when the new model is due.

Kevin Roots-Petty, Oxfordshire, July 18th 2013

V6 TSI Hybrid 5dr Tip Auto

What Car seem to have a downer on this car. Not only do they omit the R Line variants, they seem obsessed with 7 seat capacity. Not all of us want 7 seats. I bought a 245 R Line with a few optional extras through Carfile and saved a whopping Β£6k on the dealer price. The car has ample space, is very logically laid out in the cabin and has so many standard features the optional extras are a bit of a luxury. A panoramic sunroof, keyless entry and start, remote electric tailgate and full size spare and tyre pressure monitor are some of the standard features. The engine is very responsive and with 550nm of torque easily enough to embarrass a few hot hatches at the traffic light derby. There is little body roll for such a big vehicle and rear passengers have the luxury of sliding and reclining rear seats. Now the bad point. It's a big 4x4 so is never going to be frugal economy wise, but it is capable of 30+mpg if driven sensibly. The simple answer is if you don't want big fuel bills don't buy a big SUV. Various reviews go on about residuals and whilst the Touareg is worth less than the opposition after the same years, it also cost less in the first place. If you want bling go for the Cayenne, X5 etc, but if you want a SUV that can actually cope off road, is reliable, excellently equipped and has an air of understatement, then the Touareg is the right choice. Unless you really want 7 seats and in which case shouldn't you be looking at a people carrier?

Phil Hurst, July 13th 2013

V6 TDI 245 Escape 5dr Tip Auto

Refined, powerful and well assembled from high quality materials - as it should be, given the thoroughly upmarket price. The interior is a serene environment in which to cover longish distances...engine noise at cruise is commendably low...the sat nav and ICE are excellent, while steering and brakes are top notch...it is actually fun to drive through one's favorite bends in this large and (over) heavy vehicle. On the negative side, the car is hard to place during parking due to its sloping nose, though the OPS is pretty good, and the mirrors could usefully be a tad larger. The Escape is excellent off-road - it could go anywhere a Defender could reach, provided you were willing to risk the expensive scratching and thumping noises...tractor tracks are easily negotiated. The auto transmission is unobtrusive, which means it works very well. I am very impressed with this vehicle overall - though I'd like it even more if it weighed 1,500 kg. The styling to my eye is restrained and purposeful (though not on the Altitude, with its boy racer front add-ons). Overall, a strong 4.5 out of 5. Best, Dave Forbes

David Forbes, Aberdeenshire, October 12th 2011

V6 TDI Sport 5dr Auto

I have owned a 3.0ltr V6 TDI for about 16 months now. We mainly cover motorway mileage and was shocked to see my continental uhp tyres nearly out at less than 11,000 miles. I have been searching the net and this seems to be the norm for this car and its porche equivalent.Continental are not really interested so I think the only answer is to keep with the cheaper end of the market as Β£700 for six months tyre wear is too expensive for my pocket. the cost of servicing may not be too bad but this more than compensates!

Chris Crowhurst, Hampshire, January 18th 2009

TDI 5dr

Unfortunatly enough I had many problems with it. I will list them up as it is a long one.I had to change the awning from the laugage area as it started to peel. I had the had brake release brake in my hands and so I had it replaced. I also replaced the wood trimings as they all cracked and after replacing they cracked again. I had a brake sensor changed aswell. I had the prop shaft that connect the rear diff to the gearbox changed. The handbrake paddle needed changing as the preasured piston that lifted the paddle up was not able to lift it any more so the whole paddle mechanisim had to be changed as the preasurised piston was not available on its own for sale. The shaft from the power steering broke and had to be replaced. The gear box was also knocking every now and then ,between gear changes. I also had a defective lock from the passanger door changed and in one occasione the onboard computer locked the car with engine started while I was out of the car due to this defective sensor in the lock. I had to get the spare key to open the car again. The last thing that went wrong before I traded in the car was the electric driver seat. Before I sold the car I tried to get some compensation from vw as my car was very often at the garage for repairs but I did not get any from the dealer in Malta and the same from germany when I wrote to them about all my problems. Due to all these problems I had to tradein my car.

chris magro, December 8th 2008

V6 TDI SE [Leather] 5dr Auto

I brought my year old (07) Touareg after reading the reviews on this site and comparing it with the usual suspects - Land Rover, Volvo, BMW equivalents and I have to say that I am delighted with it. Having stepped up from a BMW 530, I am thoroughly enjoying the raised driving position and the space around me and with 3 small kids the annual holiday to France was comfortable and painless. Fuel economy can be a bit of a shock at first but on motorways I am certainly above 30mpg but it drinks the fuel around town. Great drive, looks and feel. Only slight grumble is that 3 kids in child safety or booster seats is a real squeeze and awkward for clipping in the seat belts. Service isn't that expensive and I have just had to replace all the tyres after 18,000 miles. I would definitely recommend one.

Simon Thomas, Gloucestershire, November 26th 2008

TDI Sport 5dr

I bought this vehicle when it was 2 years old from a registered dealer here in NI. I had always wanted one, so I 'pushed the boat out' and got myself one. The driving position, all road view and stability on the road is excellent, and with the manual gearbox I can achieve around 36/37 MPG, but overall since I bought it the Computer is averaging 33.4. Had a major service which cost me around Β£380, but as the next one is not due for another 20K, I thought this was fair enough. Overall I am well pleased with this vehicle and would certainly recommend one. Given that next year the car tax is going from Β£200 to Β£400, has put some people purchasing such a vehicle, but for an extra Β£4 per week, I will find it from somewhere !!

Danny O'Boyle, Down, October 20th 2008

TDI DPF Altitude 5dr

I have had this 2.5 Altitude Auto now for over 12 months. It is a great car to drive although in all fairness the 2.5 diesel unit can be a bit slow on the uptake on moving out into traffic - move into into Sport mode and I have no problem. Bit heavy on tyre wear - had to replace 4 on 11,000 miles but ws probably due to having to do a tight 4 point trun on our drive at the old house and "scrubbing" the tyres. Should have no probs now we have moved !! (No we didn't move 'cause of that !)I specced mine up with 4 way air con - well worth it, electronic closer on the boot and a couple of other goodies. Had one service so far but as I had taken out Maintenance I had no shocks. The ride is comfortable and quiet and great for long journeys. Tried the larger 3.6 TDI the other day and will probably go for that when i change in 2 1/2 yrs time. Okay may not be so grand as the ML or X5 or even the Q7 but for reliabilty, comfort and style I love it, my wife wouldn't change it for the world and the kids love the room in the back. Next model I will go for the entertainment pack for the kids and, if I can afford it, the electric seats too which i now realise are a must to have. Oh, and also the auto dipping rear view mirror with the convenience pack. The new uplift version looks even better but apart from the extra bit of chrome and a few tricks under the bonnet mine is fine for me- and as far as I am concerned one of the safest cars to drive in bad weather. Good on ya VW !

Robert Potts, Kent, February 19th 2008

V6 TDI 5dr Tip Auto

I've had this car for a year which is my seventeenth car in seventeen years. If you want a big, safe, serious 4x4 it is really superb. With mixed driving mpg is around 26 and the service costs aren't terrible. I got 14k out of my tyres and doubt most people will get better as I have a cruise each day. My wife loves the comfort and in a Scottish winter it really gets through the floods and cold nicely. However, sporty it is not and I've very aware that I could be doing less to kill the planet (they say). I suspect an Audi Allroad would be a better bet if it wasn't so much more expensive. A one year old 3.0TDi Touareg is a lovely thing to own and run. No major warranty issues or problems - buy one if you want a 4x4 which is really quiet, super-comfy and is not a BMW or Merc. - basically it "does what is says on the tin" !

Henry Stewart, Argyll, February 1st 2008

V6 TDI SE [Leather] 5dr Auto

I BOUGHT THIS NEW VEHICLE 6 WEEKS AGO AND HAVE FOUND THE ON AND OFF ROAD PERFORMANCE EXCELLENT. FUEL ECONOMY IS BELOW SPEC AND THE SAT NAV DOES NOT PROVIDE UK POSTCODE RECOGNITION. HOWEVER,MY MAIN CONCERN IS THAT IT IS NOT WATER TIGHT WITH A PERSISTANT LEAK FROM SOMEWHERE NEAR THE TAILGATE. I WOULD LIKE TO 'BOND' WITH MY COCOON AGAINST THE 'NANNY' STATE SOMETIME SOON, BUT FOR NOW IT IS GOING IN TO BE LOOKED AT FOR THE FOURTH TIME.

Nigel Parsonage, January 19th 2008

V6 TDI 5dr Tip Auto

I bought this car last week and it's a brand new 08 model. It has all the extras - roof rails (not the spoiler), tubular side steps, factory-fitted towbar, chrome pack, leather, cruise control etc. I've only clocked 700kms so far but I must say that so far I'm very pleased. The interior is great and all the extras thrown in make it very luxurious. I previously drove an A6 and much prefer the Touareg. The 3.0-litre V6 is very smooth and powerful. The auto transmission is great, though I do find it hard to get used to its slowless in picking up the gears, though sport mode does solve this. I would say one mistake is that I didnt get the mudflaps fitted! I'll be getting them done soon as the 18inch alloys do put a bit of dirt up on the body,but not excessively so. I love the look of the new front VW has given the Touareg. I got reverse sensors done privately for a fraction of the cost (250 Euros compared with 900 Euros) of VW and would highly recommend them. I haven't yet tested fuel economy but i know it's thirsty and anything near 30mpg would be great! But when you put the boot down and hear the V6 roar you really won't care about diesel costs. Overall I'm delighted with my purchase and reckon its better looking than the Q7, X5, Cayenne or Range Rover Sport!

j macken, January 14th 2008

V6 TDI SE 5dr Tip Auto

I love this car but the fuel costs for a diesel are horrendous. Most of the time I average around 18mpg so do think twice about using it and often use our other car instead. Small niggles are lack of cd changer on a car of this value, lack of electric seats (even cheap cars have those). Also, why can't the UK model have eelctric tailgate opening.I paid for what I was told by VW UK was tailgate opening only to find that I have paid for the privledge of being able to lock or unlock the boot independently to the rest of the car - really useful with arms full of heavy equipment! The ride and handling are great its just the little things that let it down

gaile dean, west sussex, November 15th 2007

V6 TDI Sport 5dr Auto

I have always liked my 4x4s and had a 1999 ML320 for a couple of years and decided i was due a change having never bought a brand new car before; i drove everything, x5, landcruiser, range rover, ml270, ect. None of them came close for value for money.I drove the 2.5 first and was impressed with everything apart from the engine; so when the salesman rang me a month later to tell me there was a v6 tdi coming out soon so i ordered 1 without driving 1.I have had the car 31 months now done 25,000 miles trouble free apart from tyre wear which has been horrendous. The car is absolutely brilliant i definately made the right choice.At the moment i am looking to ordering my next car but cant make my mind up what to get; the only thing that gets my back up with vw is the dealership after spending over Β£40K quid u get offered a polo as a courtesy car. Not really got any prestige car sales facilities. Also I have to pay Β£10 towards car insurance when car has been recalled for software update.otherwise the vehicle is superb and will probably end up ordering an altitude this time.

martin turner, lancs, October 28th 2007

V6 TDI Sport 5dr Auto

Had this car a few months now and been very pleased with it overall, its fantastic on motorways and you arrive at your destination without any aches & pains from the journey. The engine has enough power and I would definitely recommend this powerplant although I was hoping for better MPG (getting 23+ MPG). When I looked around, nothing could match the Touareg for value for money/ quality and performance for a car in this sector. I am surprised to see What Car gives it only 3 stars and think the reader reviews give a truer perspective of it's abilities.

John Holland, Essex, October 11th 2007

V6 TDI Altitude 5dr Auto

I have had the car 12 months and covered 18000 miles with no problems,still on original tyres and no service as yet according to on board data another 4000 miles before this is due. Having had 2 BMW X5's prior to this car I am very pleased with the overall performance/package and running costs. The car performs well in all situations and MPG is 27 on average per month in all round use the car has been fantastic to own.It retains good residuals (diesel versions)and I have just ordered a new Touareg 3.0D Altitude ,I have looked at alternatives none matched the price / performance /package offered by this car,nearly Β£10000 cheaper than the BMW in same spec. Would reccomend this version of the Touareg without hesitation.Local dealer in Sheffield has been excellent.

Peter Price, South Yorks, August 27th 2007

TDI SE Sport 5dr

I own a 54 plate 2.5TDI SE Sport, which I bought second hand from VW Manchester. I can highly recommend the vehicle. It is a pleasure to drive and we make regular trips from Manchester to the south coast with ease. We have a young child so the extra space is ideal. It has been back to the VW dealers once for a gearbox software upgrade (get this or your tyres will shred in no time). It also needed to have the power steering motor replaced under warranty as the steering felt juddery at low speeds - I thought it was something more serious. 4x4's are getting a lot of bad press, but I get just under 30 mpg combined. My only criticism is that the ride can be harsh and the auto gearbox is very slow to respond when you want to pull out into traffic. All in all a good purchase and bought second hand loses little value. Leather and auto is a must - looks great with rear black out windows and big alloys. Service from VW has been excellent.

R Williams, Cheshire, August 24th 2007

V6 TDI Altitude 5dr Auto

I have owned this car for nearly three weeks and so far I am very happy with my decision. I also considered the Audi A6 Avant, BMW X5 and Mercedes ML320 because cabin and boot space was a key factor. I test-drove all of the above (apart from the new X5, as it wasn't available at the time) and instantly took a shine to the Touareg. It had the right balance of performance, handling, cabin space and cost. Most reviews compare the Touareg to the X5 or Mercedes ML as they are of similar size. The Touareg often seems to be marked down on build quality, however if you compare the X5 3.0d with the same specification as a Touareg 3.0 TDI Altitude you are looking at price difference of over Β£10,000 (it's the same for the Mercedes). I would agree that some of the cabin quality on a BMW is far superior but you are certainly paying for it. I agree with the previous comment on the heater and air-con controls - they could be better! I am currently averaging around 26mpg which is acceptable for me as I don't do high mileages. I suspect the new model a few years from now will be significantly better and will close the gap on the X5. My experience with my VW dealer was excellent (far better than that of my local Audi and BMW dealer). Right from the first contact for a test drive through to delivery, they got it just right and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

Steven Ramsay, Herts, July 31st 2007

V10 TDI DPF SE 5dr Tip Auto

I love this car. With a huge V10 turbodiesel engine it soars along the road. The only downside is the economy. I am currentley getting around 13mpg - I don't care though, as I would still recomend this car to anyone. That said, when the Audi Q7 V12 TDI comes out next year I am definitely gonna have one.

oliver freeman, leeds, July 9th 2007