TDI 105 SE 5dr

We are a family looking for a mid-sized seven seater because our second baby is coming. For most part, we wanted a car 80% of the time that was also 20% a seven seater - and we went down the route of another Volkswagen (previously owned a VW Golf 1.6 Match). The Touran fits our lifestyle as we do not need seven seats on a regular basis but only when family and friends come to visit. Gives us room when we need it. During test drives, we were surprised how well the Touran drives - it does not feel like you are driving a seven seater MPV, more like a car (similar to our previous Golf). Driving experience is great, even with 1.6 engine has sufficient pulling power. The driving height is good and there are lots of cubby holes to store things. We ended up buying a 1.6 TDi SE, which has a good trim and we love it! Fuel consumption is good for a seven seater. The car is flexible and came at a time when our house was being renovated, hence we have used it to move things to another house. In our humble opinion, the Touran is a very understated car if based on professional car website reviews. As an owner however, we think that it has a lot going for it in terms of driveability, practicality, adaptability, space and comfort- more than most professional reviewers give it credit for. Some state that the design of the car is "so-so" or even boring, but it's actually grown on me. Overall, we are happy with our purchase and this car looks to be a keeper for us.

Cubillas Ding, Avon, March 31st 2015

TDI 105 BlueMotion Tech S 5dr

Have had this car two years now. Despite having a Ford Smax and Toyota Verso previously and impressed with those, for practicality, driver comfort, basic equipment and fuel economy the Touran wins hands down. For what is a shorter car than the smax there is a bigger (more practical) boot. Also the rear legroom for passengers is almost double than the S max due to the good higher seating position, despite me being over 6 foot tall. In contrast my 5 foot wife has no issues in the good driving position. For those with families (if not this is not your first choice vehicle!) the storage areas, from underneath the seats to the overhead lockers provide ample storage for all those essential items. However the usual VW blandness, lack of some odd basic kit in this model (only two speakers and no steering wheel controls?), the 'non'flat' folding designs of the midde seats and a little unreliability with the start/stop technology have prevented a maximum score. In summary, an excellent practical vehicle for family use, just dont expect to be blown away by the looks!

Chris Male, west Midlands, June 25th 2013

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

I bought this 2005 1.9Tdi (104) S at three years old / 20k as an ex-motability car in 2008. The car had full service history with main dealer. The car is practical in size - we can get a surprising amount of kit or people in. It has been used for our family of five as daily commute and to head off on adventures walking, canoeing, mountainbiking and general holidays. It has seen a lot of use, and has been reasonably comfortable. It now has 115k on the clock, and we are still using it. From new we had a few issues: there are no rear speakers, and no cables run for it. Same with towbar wiring - none, so Β£1k to fit. Dissapointingly it is not as well built as I would expect - the clutch went at 40k, and since then we have had the dreaded brake issue (Β£1k), glow plugs, an injector problem, suspension issues, turbo pipe etc etc. It is also showing rust, which VW dealer says is 'coming from the inside' so cannot be a warranty claim! Parts are expensive. The final straw has been an issue with the boot lifting strut mount - one nut has fallen off, and it is a cut the back of the car body off, replace nut, replace rear body work and re-spray the back of the car. That would cost Β£1.2k. A completely shocking piece of design. I compare this to our Toyota Yaris, that has had the same hard life (a few less miles) and so far has had new wipers and discs/pads in the same time. Overall a disapointing car - it has done good service, but cost a lot and been problematic. I would not buy ag

MattWC Robinson, Perthshire, May 27th 2013

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

This was my second Touran and a much different experience to the last (see my report 05/01/09 - 2.0 TDI 140 SE). This car was purchased at a considerable discount in 2010 and was a delivery mileage, dealer registered car. Over the last 2Β½ years I have done 82,000 miles and the car has never really missed a beat. No major ownership issues, with a couple of minor trim problems and defective heated rear screen dealt with under warranty, 4 Long Life services, couple of sets of tyres and a warranty contribution at 70,000 towards fuel filter canister defect (I suspect mechanic damaged during replacement). Car was too good to part exchange and has been retired from Motorway life to replace our second family car. I took my own advice and have invested in a warranty again and hopefully I will not need to use it. I’ve just taken delivery of a Mk2 Touran, report to follow.

John Clark, December 11th 2012

TSI SE 5dr

We traded in an 8 year old Audi A4 for a new Touran, with time to select a few options and order for '62'. Firstly we wanted a lighter interior than the coal-mine black that so many cars have these days, particularly, seemingly, 99% of all Tourans on the road. Our children's love of choccy biscuits didn't bode well for the longevity of beige cloth, so leather was chosen. The cabin is a far more pleasant and airy place to sit with this colour. 17" alloys, 2-zone climate, winter, convenience & family packs, upgraded ICE, luggage net and fog lights completed the extra kit list. Also, we wanted a petrol engine. Too many short journey DPF worries for comfort, and it would take 5 years to recoup the extra cost of the diesel motor given our annual mileage of 9K. With hindsight the luggage net is a bit pointless, it's fiddly to use and the boot is big enough that its rare to load it above the level of the luggage cover. The other options are good, imo, although the '510' radio takes some practice to use without error. Of the standard kit I'd drop the park assist without hesitation, and I deactivate the front park sensors as I find them a distraction as opposed to a help. Performance is good, I wouldn't want the 1.2, though I'd prefer a 2.0 FSI to a 1.4TSi. I've an A3 with a 2.0 and I get 40+ mpg as opposed to the ~32 in the VW. Maybe when 'run in' things might improve. Quality is good, though fit & plastics aren't quite Audi standard. Heated seats? Nice at this

Peter Heamon, Lincolnshire, December 11th 2012

TDI Sport 5dr

We own the 2.0TDI MATCH model (late 2009) and highly recommend it. I originally was against the Touran but this was based on cosmetics(and before i had test driven it and looked inside)and had my heart set on the S-MAX Titanium. However, i took the Touran for a test drive and loved it, and when we went looking at the S-MAX i was bitterly disappointed. I had to trade in my beloved SEAT Leon 2.0 Tdi Sport as with 3 very young children and a dog i needed something bigger and more practical. We have had the Touran for just under a week now and have covered over 300 miles on just under 1/2 tank diesel and it has not disappointed. Yes, the S-MAX does look 'prettier' on the outside and on the 2.2litre Titanium model it has a flashier dashboard but the Touran has a lot more higher spec things included as standard than the S-MAX. For me the Touran wins hands down. The Touran has 35 storage compartments as opposed to the 8 i counted in the S-MAX! Though the S-MAX is slightly longer and wider, it is not as high and the 2 very rear back seats do not offer the leg room to accomodate 2 adults where as the Touran comfortably does. The quality of the Touran's interior is far superior to that of the S-MAX and with 3 young kids i don't want it to be wrecked within a few months of having it! It's an absolute dream to drive, and yes it's not as 'exciting' as my SEAT but, it has plenty of power, is very comfy and relaxing to drive, the kids love it, i love it and i can't recommend it enough!

claire tregear-jones, March 30th 2011

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

Despite electical gremlins I realy enjoyed owning this car. Practical with great fuel economy its a large car in a small body. sadly the gearbox oil still stains the car park where it came to a sad demise! the fly wheel had disintergrated taking the gearbox with it, 7months out of warranty. my local dealer were fantastic and managed to twist the arm of VW enough to get them to pay 90% of the bill leaving me 300pounds to pay. If this happens to you stick ur heels in and demand they foot most of the bill. it is a known problem and the part was unfit for sale. I must add that i now drive a 2.0tdi se and still prefer the fuel economy, seats and the absence of touque steer of my old 1.9!

Janice Pelham, DERBYSHIRE, February 3rd 2009

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

i bought a brand new 1.9tdi from a volkswagen dealership. it has been with this dealership more times than i can count for repair, but i can tell you since january 2008-jan 2009, it has been in for warranty repairs 24 times. in fact, hardly a week goes by without a problem, and has been in the garage for weeks on end. my first problem is the airbag warning system which constantly flashes at me - i have had a whole new system put in (took 6 weeks to do mind) i got it back from the garage on weds night for my devon holiday leaving thurs. on same saturday the clutch went and had to go into dealership for the week for new clutch / flywheel. on return from holiday one week later airbag lights go on! (another 3 weeks at volkswagen). the lights particulary in cold weather flash oncoming traffic (but apparantly there is no fault). my esp light went (repaired, auxillary heater replaced. i'm not sure weather the steering is right, but it is going in again next week (as airbag light on again and smoke coming from aux heater) so they will need to check. i have now lost all confidence with this car, and will get rid of it as soon as i can before its warranty runs out in may. i have had aa cover for 23 years and have only used it once prior to owning this car, well this car has been recovered 8 times since i have had it! and yet it has only done 34,000 miles

aud smith, england, February 3rd 2009

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

My car is on a 55 plate with 38000 miles and full service history. To date I have had new ABS unit, new ESP unit and a new clutch. I am appalled at the problems I have had with this VW. To round things off the gearbox failed, smashing through the casing damaging the differential, estimated costs Β£2000. I will never but another VW again

Neil Adgie, South Yorkshire, February 3rd 2009

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

I have this car on a 55 plate, 57k miles and two months out of warranty the turbo fails requiring Β£2,500 parts plus labour. Full VW service history to boot. VW offered 50% goodwill but still leaves Β£1400 to get it back. I am shocked at the number of owners who have also had this fault on these pages. This is certainly my last VW ever. It is a dull drive, and although practical with good mpg and I can't wait to see the back of it.

Phillip Stoker, February 1st 2009

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

The car is now 2Β½ years old and at 68,000 is out of warranty and don’t I know it. Emissions light came on last month and I was relieved of Β£300 for a throttle flap motor. Then the ESP light decided it would announce the demise of the ABS pump and a Β£1,600 bill. Absolutely no interest in a warranty contribution by VW and the dealer was in denial of any known ABS failure problem. Lucky for me I’d recently taken out independent warranty with Warranty Direct and they covered the ABS pump less some excess. The years warranty cost less than half the VW equivalent and they quickly inspected the car and agreed the repair. Cheque was with me within days of submitting the paperwork and would advise any owner to consider Warranty Direct warranty. Otherwise the car has been fairly reliable except an early problem with the electric power steering which needed replacement in the first few months of ownership.

John Clark, January 5th 2009

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

Sold my Touran after 3 years ownership. Never again will I buy a VW after owning a Touran for 3 years. Year 1 - complete loss of electrics/breakdown occurred once - required control unit re-programming under warranty. Quality issues with rear door seal - required hard push to close. Year 3 - turbo failed after 70k kms - unacceptable in 3 year old car and very expensive to repair (this was a fully serviced car). VW dealer service and parts costs prohibitive (1200k euros for turbo before fitting cost). Pity reliability was abysmal as the car functioned well in terms of cabin ergonomics, layout, storage areas etc but reliability record was poor. Also reasonable MPG and handling for MPV

David Winship, December 19th 2008

TDI PD S 90 5dr [7 Seat]

i bought my touran 18 months ago used. the car is an 05 plate. Everything was ok until the 20/09/2008 when the eps light came on and would not go off. Went into the retailers, was told dont worry its your abs system. as i have no warranty it will cost Β£1600.00, this is a known fault on the tourans (BEWARE). I have also been dealing with trading standards as my car is on hire purchase with vw they have brought the cost down to Β£675.00. So i have decided to end my contract and have bought Honda FRV...i have also checked all the reviews and it is sound and a brilliant call overall.....to all touran drivers please get your abs pump checked

nicola shand, December 6th 2008

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

I bought the car new and driven 250000 miles in 3 years. I am a pensioner(Steady driver). I understand from our VW garage that I must now pay Β£1500 for a replacement faulty ESP unit.I have never braked hard and am far from happy to be faced with this cost. Is this a common fault? If I buy this unit can I expect to have to replace it again in another 3 years.

John Trotman, November 17th 2008

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

Very surprised to read some of the previous negative views. Some slight niggles such as the windows not closing due to the auto sensor and the rear door buckles catching the closing doors. The car is very versatile for all 5 of our family, the seat layout is great for long journeys. There is limited space for luggage in the 7 seat spec but this is hardly surprising. I got a roof box for the big holidays. The car is very nice to drive, good handling and good levels of power available although I missed the slightly heavier german steering from my golf. I still think it looks better than its nearer rivals. I had more serious problems with my mark 4 golf so I think the previous reviewer may have suffered from the Monday/Friday cars scenario. I would recommend and my next car should be a Touran but maybe the 1.4 petrol as it offers similar performance but with cheaper fuel and costs.

Mark Greene, November 5th 2008

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

Have owned a 2L diesel manual version from new. I have done 34k in the 2 years I have had it. Has proved very reliable - have had none of reliabilty issues evident from other reviewers - has only been into dealers for routine servicing whith no otehr faults. My only issues are the quality of seat material and interior plastics which are poor - I expected more from a VW!

Paul Slater, Derbyshire, October 27th 2008

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

My 05 Touran is off the road as the Turbo has failed. Repair is going to be just shy of Β£2000. Furious. Do not expect this of a car I bought new, which has been well maintained and driven. 35,000 miles on the clock. Whilst the car was under warranty major electrical work had to be done due to a leak. Hate to think whats going to be next. Looking to trade it in as soon as possile.

Suzanne Williamson, October 20th 2008

TDI PD SE 5dr [7 Seat]

I have a 2.0 tdi on a 06 plate. I thought this would be the answer to a three chilren problem. I wrongly thought that buying vw meant quality. It has been back to the dealer twelve times in under two years. Last repair, clutch and fly wheel. Many of the problems are unsolveable, and the service department look blankly at the car. It drinks oil fast than saudi can pump it iut of the ground. The remote locking system is totaly unreliable. The key fob rings the door bell but doesn`t open the car. Having said that the lady from down the road who owns a focus can open our car at five hundred meters. The car drives well it fits three, children two friends and all the usual kit to go with these demands. Unless you want to be on first name terms with the service depatment of your local vw dealer stay well away, from a well design but very poorly manafactured car.

philip muir, merseyside, October 17th 2008

TDI S 90 5dr

Overall like the size and the seat layout but the upholstry is not really robust enough for a family. Biggest problem which seems to be very common if you run a check on the web sites is failure of the ABS. We are just out of warranty with 27,000miles and face a bill for Β£1500 for a new ABS system. Since we sold our old and reliable Golf estate for less we are very dissapointed. What we thought was a high quality reliable car is high maintenance and very expensive to keep on the road.

Kay Hughes, October 14th 2008

TDI PD S 5dr [7 Seat]

Ywo years, 30k miles later and I am trading my Touran in for a Passat estate, not because there was anything wrong with it just I fancied a change from a box on wheels. However, I cannot fault the Touran at all excepting a couple of very minor warranty issues. MPG has been brilliant, the ride very good for an MPV and it's been incredibly practical. The only down side is that it is uninspiring to look at, but don't let that put you off. I am surprised to hear of the reliability issues others have experienced as both the car and my dealer have been excellent

Mark Whitelegg, September 24th 2008