Bought this car primarily for its v low insurance category to help give my 18 and 20 year old kids access to a car to gain experience and in the case of my son the chance to consolidate his practice in the run up to his test. I drive a new BMW520d which I love, but actually I've really fallen for the Up. We have a 3 year old basic model but it drives like a dream, easy gear change, good brakes and contrary to what I have read whizzes along the motorway just fine. Masses of headroom and I'm amazed how 4 adults can really fit in just fine. I've not checked the mpg but it seems v frugal so far. My son finds it really easy to drive too. Boot is not large but still enough for the usual shopping trips and yesterday my wife squeezed 4 bags of compost into it so it's still enough! My only gripe is the lack of central locking and a/c. On the plus side our car came with the optional Satnav unit which also has Bluetooth phone and media capability.

Richard Wallond, Bucks, April 12th 2015

Take Up 3dr

I bought a basic Start Up for my wife nearly three years ago. The car has been totally reliable and is fine for short trips about town. However under the VW 3-year finance plan we are handing it in for a Skoda Citigo simply because the basic Up is just too basic for the money. It doesn't have central locking and you have to open the driver's door to open the boot or the passenger door, which is extremely annoying. The wind up windows are also a pain and the seat fabric is very poor and marks with just a single drop of rain water. For almost the same money we have gone of a Citigo Black edition which has central locking, electric windows, black paint, free servicing, alloy wheels, up dated stereo and a sat nav all thrown in for a similar price to the basic Up. We don't care what badge it has on the front so long as it is as reliable as the VW.

Peter Jones, October 27th 2014

p 5dr Auto

I've just bought a 3 door High UP! with the optional sport pack which, in Candy White paint does look good. I thought about other 1.0litre cars, but with 75bhp this UP! doesn't feel underpowered. The interior fittings don't feel flimsy and the heated seats do feel supportive. My car was used, with just under 7k miles but the saving on new was attractive. My only gripe is that it doesn't have the DAB radio that is now standard. I'll need to see if I can get one as a retro-fit. I've had a few VW's so I'm not new to the brand and, with the exception of a Beetle they've all been a joy to drive and own.

Paul Phillips, Fife, August 4th 2014

p 5dr Auto

Having owned a basic 1.0 60 bhp Up! take up 3-door for nine months I can warmly recommend it. I decided on purpose to go for the cheapest model as the price quickly spins out of control if you start adding stuff. Only added the essential aircon and metallic paint as I liked the dark blue colour. Strongest points: great driving position and seats, supple suspension, nippy characterful engine which enjoys revs and sounds great, enormous practicality - everything miraculously fits in this car -, fabulous economy with regards to tax, fuel, insurance etc and it is very quiet even at motorway speeds. Low points: the sometimes somewhat notchy gearshift, especially when changing into first or reverse, which sometimes requires an extra attempt, the sluggish response from the engine when flooring it in-gear from low speeds, especially in second gear, and the lack of a glovebox, which I have found to find annoying. Small niggles really, and I always look forward to driving it and think it looks great too. My advice would be to go for the cheapest model. There really is not much of a difference between the 60 and 75 bhp versions and the whole point of a small cheap car in my opinion is that it should be cheap. Try it and I think most people would be impressed.

Thomas Winther, June 20th 2014

Take Up 3dr

I've had my High Up for only 2 weeks but am already hooked. It is an amazing little car that does everything I need it to do on my Mon-Fri 40 mile daily commute. Having traded down from a much bigger Audi and having driven larger German cars for a number of years I decided I wasn't wasting any more money on cars, just wanting something new, reliable, economical and German. I didn't even test drive the Up, just sourced it online and ordered it over the phone. My work colleagues and friends all laughed when I told them I'd ordered an Up! but it's me having the last laugh as it costs so little to run. VW Cheltenham were great and and I got free insurance for a year and 3 years free servicing as part of the deal. The 75 bhp engine is nippy enough and is starting to loosen up as I approach 700 miles. The heated seats are fantastic as is the Maps & More infotainment system. I would 100% recommend this car as a first car or as a quality car to downsize to. It is much better value than the only other car I looked at, the Audi A1. I went for the 5 door version for added practicality and ordered it with the sensor pack (to get the cruise control and computer) along with the Classic alloys as I didn't like the multi-spoke wheels that are standard on the High Up! model. They look nice but must be a nightmare to clean whereas the Classic alloys are a doddle to clean and look good. I know that I can run this car with minimal costs for 3 years and still have a deposit for my next car.

Dean Butcher, Gwent, March 22nd 2014

High Up 5dr

Brilliant little car. Cheap to run, tax Β£20. group 2 insurance. The car feels very safe when driving even at high speed.

Gavin Os, March 7th 2014

High Up 3dr

The one down side of this car is how rough the 3-cylinder engine is when cold. However, it does get smoother and quiet when it's warmed up, and the combination of the flexible engine and light weight means you don't have to use high revs very often to make decent progress around town. It isn't especially fast and is noisy at speed, but that's expected of a cheap one-litre car - others are worse. What is less expected is how comfortable it is. Despite its tiny external dimensions, all four seats are well-shaped and roomy and boot is deep, and the ride is impressively smooth without making the handling soggy. It also looks and feels well-made and grown-up. This is a very likeable car, simple, honest and, given the size and money, quite brilliant.

David James, Surrey, October 18th 2013

Move Up 5dr

This car really did tick all the boxes.This was going to be my workhorse car for commuting/work and travel (I have something more sporty and extreme for the weekends). Test drove both the 60bhp and 75bhp from Skoda and VW. To be honest not much difference,if any,between the engine sizes. Both very refined and "fast enough" on the road and motorway. Had planned to get the Skoda but a 4 month wait! VW luckily had one on the transporter coming over,and matched my spec wish list the closest (BMT,sunroof,white). Also came with 16" sporty alloy wheels and sports suspension and spare wheel and few other bits which I was not bothered(park sensors) about but pushed the price up. Was a bit worried about the 16" wheel/suspension package as the test drive models were all on standard 15" wheels and was worried they would ruin the ride. Need not have worried. Still has a lovely supple ride and remains refined,but looks pretty mean/cool and funky. Am so pleased I got the sunroof and has come into its own over this summer heatwave we have had. Has an internal blind as well so you can still get the breeze,when its open without getting sunburnt! Easy to park,small turning circle,good visibility,refined,heated seats. Took about 1000 miles to loosen up a bit as was sluggish in 2nd gear especially pulling away from corners. Now done just short of 4000 miles in 2 months,and really very nippy. Will happily sit at (ahem) 80mph+ on the motorway if needs be.Economy 42-49mpg so far. Recommended.

Mark Mazarelo, London, August 2nd 2013

BlueMotion Tech High Up 5dr

We LOVE this car! Our main car is an old Land Rover Defender so we decided to lease a VW Up! as a cheap back-up car if the Landy is in the garage or we need a longer trip than just around the local country lanes and we couldn't be happier. It's a blast to drive, feels like a big car, tax is Β£20 a year and the VW lease is only Β£89 a month - how do they make it pay?! The only downside is the slightly grating clutch on steep hills but we're only leasing so we can wear it out and let VW worry about their only cost-cutting part. Most importantly thought is don't bother with any of the expensive models, we've got the bargain basement 60bhp in cheap white with nothing on it and that's all you need; it's like a Mini in the 1960s; less is more. The posh versions look a bit naff and blingy in our opinion. Should you get one? Yes, yes, yes

Lee Orton, July 26th 2013

p 5dr Auto

I bought an Up! White this year for my everyday commute. It has been a great little car so far coping with motorway and back roads well. Seats are comfortable and Maps and More infotainment works well. Bluetooth to my iPhone does not always connect. Radio reception not great but CD / MP3 sound quality is good. Would have liked a USB socket. Leather look interior was the only option that I specified and am very pleased with the car overall.

Kate Andrews, Northants, July 21st 2013

p 5dr Auto

This is my wifes car - lucky her! I collected this from London and drove it all the way to Dunblane, years ago driving a 1.0ltr car that distance would fill you with dread, this was unbelievable! Firstly it drives like a mini Golf superb - even the 75Bhp engine can nip along it's fun! The reason I travelled so far was because this car came with Elec sunroof, cruise control, rear parking sensors and the upgraded stereo what a spec for such a small car. To drive it's superb, grips the road well and absorbs any bumps etc without any problems. The only thing I'd mention is the diesel like noise at idle being a 3 cylinder but once you are up and running it is fine. It is roomy and to be honest if you are looking for a small city car or a new car for son / daughter then look no further it's a no brainer. If there was one thing so far that have noticed is that the heater is not all that hot even at full, however the heated seats make up for that - I wish my car had all the options this car has! Buy one and enjoy it - my son has now heard that VW are introducing an UP GT, I've seen pics so Mini etc watch out!

PHILIP MCRAE, February 27th 2013

High Up 5dr

A great little car that I prefer driving around town than my BMW. The car looks great, rides OK on the 16 inch wheels and is plenty fast enough. Very well equipped and the sat nav and voice activation works really well. For the longer journey a number of people have the ride has made them a little queasy....which I would agree with. My only gripe....and it is a big one is the front seat adjustment when people are using the back seats....it is a nightmare and for a few quid extra I would have paid for a properly engineered solution.....so if you use the back seats on a regular basis and the 3 door at all costs....it will drive you mad. Overall, a great car I would recommend.

Mark Steers, Berkshire, February 3rd 2013

High Up 3dr

It's a great little car to drive around town and I average 60mpg too. I actually prefer it to my golf gti mk6 around town and am pleased I went for the 5 door version with blue motion. The maps and more option is a must and works well with my i phone. Only a couple of gripes no passenger front window control from the drivers side and buttons aren't lit a night. It also struggles on long motorway hills but otherwise quiet and refined at 70mph! Great car!

Alan Coombes, Avon, October 29th 2012

BlueMotion Tech Move Up 5dr

I have the move up model and I chose this model with the winter pack optional extra which I believed would be and true to my belief is rather useful, you miss fog lights and heated mirrors when you haven’t got them and heated seats also prove rather useful particularly if you suffer with back pain. I exchanged a 1.4 litre seat Ibiza for this car and the savings in the amount I spend a month in petrol pretty much pays the difference on buying the new car. The trim level is more than adequate and the cabin is rather comfortable, I have do not think that the car is in any way less comfortable then the Ibiza I owned previously, and the car fits myself, my partner, a fifteen month old and a buggy in with no problems. The only let down with this car is that you can lose power very quickly on open roads with a large incline if you are in to higher gear, so you can find yourself changing down gear a few more times that what you where used to previously, that being said the car handles brilliantly and is really manoeuvrable. Also noticed that the fuel gauge seems to go down quicker once it has past the half way point but doesn’t really matter the car is quite simply fantastic overall, I’m really pleased with it.

Edward Ryan, staffordshire, September 7th 2012

Move Up 3dr

I have the standard take up model which I love as I'm 18 with a brand new car. This car is perfect in many ways as I can afford it by only working weekends and it's also fairly cheap to run. Although the petrol gauge hasn't worked since the day I bought it and vw cannot get a new display unit for me as its on backorder and it's been 2 months now. There's no central locking which means you have to lock the passenger door from the inside which is easy to forget about if your in a hurry. The manual windows and awkward folding front seats are becoming an annoyance but I suppose you get what you pay for. All in all it's a decent car but very basic, definitely worth having a good look at before buying or go for a better model because it would be way better for the money.

Chris Neeld, Wiltshire, May 15th 2012

p 5dr Auto

Very happy with this car so far. Traded in a '54 plate Audi A6 3.0 TDi after a test drive of a 60hp Move Up! along my daily commute route. This involved town, B-road and motorway. I was impressed with the cabin space, quietness and big car feel. This lower spec engine coped easily on the motorway and was very quiet at 70mph. Friends think it is at least a 1.4 litre. The cabin is fresh and the design, imo, puts the other cars in this class to shame. Most importantly we didn't feel as if we were trading down to a lesser brand. MPG is far is an average of 56MPG but I expect this to increase with mileage. Maps and More is excellent offering full postcode sat-nav with voice command, bluetooth connectivity for the phone also with voice command and a car information display. The Up! White's 16 alloys give a more sporting feel and there is less wallowing in the corners compared to the lower spec cars. Nothing has gone wrong so far. I will update in 6 months. Cant wait for the Up! GT but wouldn't be upset if I was given a Β£7k Take Up!.

John Acteson, May 1st 2012