Volvo S60 Saloon (00 - 09) Owner reviews

I have owned an S60 D5 for 10 years. It is now nearly 12 years old with 111,000 miles on the clock but still feels as if it will go on for years. It has been totally reliable, with only one repair bill for the alarm system. It has also tended to wear tyres at the edge, but three attempts ro fix the tracking seems to have finally stopped that. I have previously owned a Rover 800 and a BMW 530d. The Volvo doesn't match the comfort of the Rover, and performance is not quite as good as the BMW, but it is not too far behind either. The 2.4 litre diesel engine provides plenty of power combined with 45 mpg on a run (35 mpg around town), There is enough grunt to pull the car on level ground at 1000 rpm, and I often change gear when I reach 1500 rpm. Gadgets include heated seats, a boon on a freezing cold morning. One minor gripe is that the boot is invisible when reversing.

Gareth Roberts, Avon, March 9th 2015

D5 SE 4dr

Just took delivery of a 2014 facelifted S60 D4 181 geartronic with the new 8 speed auto box Initial impressions are excellent Recently drove a 320ED saloon for the last three years which I was disappointed with This is contrast is everything I'd hoped it to be Pros Looks great Economical Smooth gear changes High quality built cabin Has lots of extras like sensus connect,supportive seats,split folding rear seats,rear centre armrest,ambient cabin lighting,cruise,climate,rear sensors,etc Cons Smallish boot but still sufficient 16"wheels look small Summary......volvo are very underrated cars and this I think can quite easily compete with the usual 3 series,a4 and c class trio and is a credible alternative with no compromise at all

john shackelton, March 7th 2014

[163] Business Edition 4dr

I have now owned this car for 10 months and have done 12k miles. I bought it from the local Volvo dealership and paid just over 20k instead of the 29k list price. Within the first week things started to go wrong and it became obvious that the PDI had not been done. The problems were solved quite quickly but it was disappointing. Things have been mediocre since and the build quality is not as i expected from Volvo. Bits of trim have started to loosen off leaving unsightly gaps (i was told by the same dealer that they couldn't do anything about it). However, the worst problem was a hesitation when pulling away. It took them from March to June to fix the concern and all it needed was a software update which had been available for some time. On the plus side the car is very comfortable. It eats the miles on the motorway despite only being a 1.6. A return trip to the Dordogne in the summer was much more pleasurable than in anything I've owned previously. The boot is small compared to the C class and there's no spare wheel, and no place to put one either. In summary; lovely to drive, cheap to run (50mpg every week), looks great and feels solid. The downside is that the build quality could be better and the dealers aren't as you'd expect from a premium brand.

Bob Johnson, October 22nd 2013

[115] SE Lux 4dr

What a fantastic car! I have only owned this for a few days but I can't ever imagine my opinion changing. It drives superbly, accelerates like a bullet train and the interior is a fantastic place to be. I had the previous S60 which was always a good car and very reliable but quite bland and forgetful. This is the exact opposite! I considered the Passat CC before buying this and I definitely made the right decision. The car was an ex fleet demonstrator so is loaded to the roof with toys and safety features. I am so pleased with the car and also with Rybrook Volvo in Warrington for excellent service throughout. If you take the plunge and get one of these you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Richard PUTLAND, S Yorkshire, October 1st 2011

[205] SE Premium 4dr

I have recently bought this car, and it is my first purchase of a Volvo. Design - I have to say that when you compare the S60 to the German competition, it does stand out. I am a fan of the external design. It is different, and yet also beautiful. The interior is of high quality. I am not such a fan of the internal design, but the seats are just the most comfortable I have ever sat in. They are heaven for a long disatance drive. Performance - The D5 has plenty of torque, and a decent 0-60 time. The engine is smooth, and has a lovely growl to it. I am averaging over 42 mpg, on mixed runs, which is good. Safety - This is where the S60 really shines. City safe, blind spot, pedestrian detection, collision detection: the list is endless, and I chose to have them fitted. I tend to deactivate the lane departure warning, as this can be intrusive . But in terms of the others, I think they are superb, and I like to have them, hoping I will never have to use them. Handling - Is good. Not best in class, and the steering is a bit light. But traction is good, and body roll controlled. All in all, if you are considering an alternative to the ususual suspects, I would recommend the S60. In terms of comfort, safety, and design it stands out from the competition. Whilst the 3 Series will handle better, the Audi A4 depreciate less, a C Class have better performance, somehow they trail the S60 because they are, well, too Germanic. Me, I'll relax in safety and comfort of the Volvo.

Stephen Baldwin, May 22nd 2011

[215] SE Lux 4dr [Start Stop]

Stephen Baldwin, May 22nd 2011

[215] SE Lux Premium 4dr [Start Stop]

What is it that you want from a car reliability - it has it, after 120K the car still drives and looks new. Fresh Fuel efficiency - Unbelievable, if you feather it expect to see 67-70MPG has to be a record for its size and weight. Power - Raced a type r 185 bhp left it somewhere way far, I don't believe Mr burberry baseball cap was able to tell his mate any more about his type r. Safety - I am not even going to talk about it, its a volvo. Looks - Like a real man really cares but I do like the facelift model. It has a soft edge look to it. Comfort - The best leather seats this side of 50k. You can do 1000 miles and get out without an ache. Feel - You actually need to hear the sound the engine makes on acceleration, proper V10 sound. well half of it anyway! This is a king car and deserves nothing but 5 stars! can't wait to get a new shape in white! What car would not let me enter the correct MPG which is 55+

Sean Orlov, April 11th 2011

S 4dr

bought at 3yrs old 22000mls in very good condition full service history powerful engine, good to drive, very comfortable, interior is well made. 500 miles so far no complaints

neil edwards, cheshire, February 10th 2009

T S 2008 4dr

Bought a 56 plate D5 with 9K miles on the clock in March 08. Fantastic performance and fuel economy but running costs destroyed by woeful residual values right now(Β£6250 to Β£7450 px with 36K on the clock). Reliability is questionable - two major problems at less than 30K miles - half shafts replaced , oil leak from sump (engine had to be pulled), and oh yes, number three problem...pipe fell off the turbo and car went into get you home mode. Overall a very fast and comfortable car with all the refinements but watch out when you want to sell it on...

Jim Thomas, Cheshire, January 28th 2009

SE 2008 4dr [185]

The S60SE 2.4D SE automatic can achieve 45mpg if driven carefully and no faster than 70 to 75mph on motorways and A roads. The car drives well and is taught on the road without too much harshness or road noise. The transmission works well. The standard equipment is disgraceful when yuo compare against something like a Mondeo. I really miss things such as headlamp washers, heated screen, heated seats. Interior room is a problem, when I adjust the drivers seat for my 6'3" frame the reach to the steering wheel is slightly too long. Adjusted like this it is impossible to put a passenger in the rear, even a 10 yr old child, so I need to move the drivers seat a few clicks forward. Access to the boot is very limited by the small aperature the boot lid leaves and to fold the seats down you need to move the front seats forward. All in all most of my gripes revolve around poor interior space, for what is deemd to be a medium/large car. A mondeo or even a 3 series BMW offer more room

Gavin Bell, January 24th 2009

D SE 2008 4dr

I bought my 2002 S60 D5 SE six months ago with 102k on the clock to use it as a taxi. It has now passed 121k and I have never regretted buying it at all. Unbelieveably fast, especially for a diesel, comfortable, economical & so long as you stay away from main dealer servicing..not too expensive to run. Clutch went at 115k & was over Β£900 but that is how much a mondeo one would be & this is a much better car. Only neg points are huge turning circle, eats front tyres & bulbs but these are not major problems as far as I am concerned. Overall would highly recommend to anyone.

kevin hayward, northumberland, October 30th 2008

D5 SE 4dr

Have owned this now for 18 months (D5 Geartronic Version) and have to say it is amongst one of the easiest 'to live with' cars i've ever owned. Comfort reliability and spec are top rate (brilliant sound system), I do mainly motorway miles and it eats them! and am easily clocking 55 (on average) to the gallon, which for such a heavy car is fantastic. To make this car even better all that Volvo need to do is sort out the turning circle.

David Thomson, Yorkshire, September 13th 2008

SE 4dr

I bought my S60 a year ago with 14K on the clock from a volvo dealer.I have had no problems with the car except for a minor rattle on drivers side door which has been resolved.The drive is very comfortable and road handling excellent.Due to the sports suspension you do feel the bumps a lot.The turning circle is limited so is not easy to park.Feels very solid on road and safe to drive.Cabin space a bit limited for family of 5.Performance is gutsy and economy very good.My verdict is an excellent and reliable family saloon.

rodney barclay, essex, September 4th 2008

SE 2008 4dr [185]

Some fantastic offers available on the S60 attracted me to have a look. The test drive was so good I ordered. A brilliant/underated car with creamy smooth effortless power deliver, safe handling and wonderful refinement overall. The seats are amazing and the std sound system is impressive as is the general level of equipment. Its a good looking car. Very happy with car after a couple of bad experiences with VW and Audi. Wish I hadnt been a badge snob earlier and went for the Volvo - more people should - very good cars.

David Innes, August 16th 2008

T SE 2008 4dr

Unlike T5, handling is nearly perfect thanks to low profile tyres and adjustable shock absorbers. Fuel consumption around 11 l/100 km is more than good for a car with all wheel drive and 300 HP. On a highway it drops to 9. Excellent seats and audio system - better than in new BMW 7 series. Poor legroom in rear. Huge turning circle - a big problem if you switch from RWD. Stock 235/45 R18 tyres wear very fast, 235/50 R17 would be a better choice. Now, with 97k km, still no technical problems at all.

Janis Adienis, June 19th 2008

4dr

This was my second S60. Overall I was very fond of it but was let down by electrical problems (central computer, SatNav/Radio) and I got basically no help or interest from Volvo Assist once they realised I'd had enough. Felt quite heavy to drive, but lovely engine - though a bit over-thirsty. Very comfortable, but bit of a hard ride and road noise louder than the previous S60 (wider tyres). Decided to downgrade a bit and now own a Honda Accord Estate - no problems as yet!

Charles Ball, June 14th 2008

T SE 2008 4dr

I've owned my 02 plate car just over 10 months and covered 23K miles in that time bringing the odometer up to 113K. Usually get 42/43 mpg on mainly motorway / fast A-road use; this is my calculation brimming the tank - the computer says ca. 50mpg. The car hasn't let me down in that time and the only thing to need fixing was an internal driver's door handle; but servicing is on the high side for my pocket despite using a local independent; including 4 tyres and a cam belt change I'm up for Β£1900 in my short tenure ! Not looking to get out just yet as hope recent costs will last some time to come. Likes : smooth torquey engine, seats, general comfort for motorways, svelte lines, hi-fi. Dislikes : boot opening height (courtesy of those svelte lines), understeer - less apparent now with quality tyres; turning circle.

David Wilson, June 2nd 2008

D S 2008 4dr

I have owned this car for the last one year six months. It's good car but repairing costs are high from the dealer. I've had problems with the idling which i was advised to buy a new air mass flow meter. On the motorway it's a perfect car and the fuel consumption is great. talk of comfort its absolutely fantastic and the sound system is of higher quality. I've had it serviced by someone who is specialist in servicing Volvos for half the price what the dealer charges. It's smooth overall and I have fallen in love with it.

TERENCE MANONGA, ESSEX, April 8th 2008

T SE 2008 4dr

As a high-mileage driver, the S60 seemed a good choice for long-distance cruising work, and following a string of Audi A4s and A6s, the S60 was very impressive for its comfort, power, practicality and specification. I bought the car new and after covering 70,000 miles in about 18 months my illusion of Volvo's reputation for reliability has been tarnished by two breakdowns in as many months and repair bills for well over Β£1000, despite the first problem occuring only just over the 60,000-mile warranty period (the car was well within the time given for warranty work). My local dealer (Stratstone - Stoke on Trent) has been very helpful and the service staff there are first-rate. I thought servicing costs were very high even with familiarity of Audi costs. Overall, it's a very good car offering great value for money but be wary of reliability and multi-storey car parks, because it's like parking an oil tanker!

Chris Lindley-Smith, staffordshire, April 1st 2008

Sport 4dr

Great car. Fatastic engine, smooth, dynamic and not thirsty at all, especially on long distance journeys, average consumtion around 7 litres, even less on motorway. Excellent comfort, very cosy interior, good quality stereo, low interior noice. Excellent driving in snow and winter time in general. Very reliable, no problems at all, but the turbo changed under warranty. The only irritating thing - a huge turning circle, but you get used to it. 40.000 kms since October 2005. Tempted to trade it for a 4x4 at some point, but it is impossible to get rid of a Volvo after some period - every other car seems shabby in comparison. Just try!

Ludek Rychly, March 31st 2008