Volvo XC90 (02 - 15) Owner reviews

I have owned a V6 coupe EX with HFP package for 4 years and just over 60k miles and I like her more and more every day. She has never left me stranded, maintenance has been minimal, and she always wants to go faster...70 on the freeway seems like nothing to this engine. Fastest I have gone in it is 130 and it felt like it was on rails...meant to be driven fast. Acceleration is surprisingly very good. The engine is fantastic, auto transmission shifts are fast and always when I want them but not the smoothest. Braking is great if you have good pads & rotors, for a heavy coupe it stops on a dime. The tight steering, second to the engine, is the best part about the car and why I unexpectedly decided to buy it. The steering is why the car handles so great even at 100mph, it's very nimble with a little understeer if you're really pushing it.

, June 10th 2016

• Average MPG mpg

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem

, June 9th 2016

• Average MPG mpg

Have had the car from new for just over 3 years now. Running costs are high average MPG ( and I do alot of country driving) is 29 - at 50 K miles now and both front wheel bearings have just been replaced they went within 2 weeks of each other , the exhaust is on its way out and I am just about to buy my 4th set of tyres. Drive is okay although a bit sluggish - positives are that the interior is comfortable and well laid out and there is plenty of space for passengers and luggage but I would not buy another

douglas mcneill, Choose state, September 25th 2013

D5 SE 5dr

I bought this car because we needed a 4 wheel drive, 7 seat, family car for winter trips to Scotland. My last Volvo was a late 1990's S40, which spent its life at the dealer with ECU issues. So my view of the brand wasn't great, but this car was too good value to turn down (under Β£30k with Winter Pack and 3 years' servicing). Overall the XC90 is practical, spacious and comfortable, even during a 9 hour drive from London to Scotland. At a sensible speed it will deliver around 32mpg, which I think is pretty good for a car this heavy. It feels safe and sure-footed, even when driving in snow (with winter tyres). The interior is flexible and we often have people competing to sit in the boot, which has good sized seats. The driving experience is best described as dull. The car goes (although it takes a long time to pull away), turns (although the turning circle is wide) and stops (very well), but is zero fun. It isn't a patch on a 5 Series. One word of warning though; the cost of Volvo services and accessories is very high. I suspect that they are trying to claw back those large discounts, but everything costs a fortune. Bluetooth is around Β£500 as a a dealer fit option and I was quoted Β£2,000 for an auxiliary heater (this was about Β£500 on my old BMW). Today I was told that a fuel leak wasn't covered by the warranty or service package as it was 18 months old and the part couldn't have just failed. A decent family bus, but watch out for the costs.

Stephen Lamb, September 9th 2013

D5 [200] SE 5dr Geartronic

I bought an Volvo XC90 D5 Exec auto 2 years ago this month. I managed to get nearly Β£9k off the list price, happy days! Firstly, I will say that this is not really a drivers car but as a family car I really do think it ticks the boxes. I find the interior of the car functional and very comfortable, we added removable TV's in the back for the children to watch on long journeys and everyone has been happy. Sound system is good and teh air conditioned / massaging seats are fabulous. In the snow and floods we have had no problems, the servicing has not highlighted any faults todate. We manage to get average of 28mpg for day to day driving and it delivered 32 mpg driving through France last summer, with cruise control set at 79mph. Down side for me is the turning circle, which is poor. In my opinion you don't buy a car like this for running costs, as you know from the outset, it's going to be expensive. You buy it for all the family reasons, and it can't be faulted for that. We regularly have 6 or 7 in the car, with a mix of adults and children, with nor problems. I have had many "drivers" and this isn't one of them. I have had a few "family" cars and this is it. If I don't keep it for 10 years, it will only be because I've bought a new one. Look around before you buy, there are some massive deals to be had.

David Traylor, Surrey, April 8th 2013

T6 SE 5dr Geartronic

Don;t know where some people are getting these figures from re mpg unless they are driving the T6 petrol derivative. Mine is a D5 Auto and returns 32mpg minimum. On original tyres after 18500 miles and still got over 3mm tread left. Went for the rear dvd screen option. Absolutely wonderful and keeps the grandchildren entertained. Would I buy another Volvo? Too right I would.

Graham Shaw, Kirkcudbrightshire, February 25th 2013

T6 SE 5dr Geartronic

The only thing going for this car is the space inside which is very good.Although rear seats in boot are only for kids at best. Thats as far as it goes. Engine is boomy,will shake your bones through the steering wheel, remind me of a tractor! it rattles and is totaly underpowered. Gearbox is usless and dangerous in my mind especially when pulling away from roundabouts it can take a good second for the car to move off. Fuel economy is for a lack of a better word diabolical. For the last 6 months i have averaged between 21 and 24 mpg. I have had the car for 2 years and the best i could achieve was 28 and that was on a 400 mile motorway run, pretty awful, get used to seeing the fuel light on, i reckon 300 miles to a tank. No point putting your foot down in this car all you do is burn fuel and go nowwhere fast. I have an executive model yet ride is extremely harsh, handling...... well there is no handling its awful. turning circle will drive you insane, getting in and out of multi storey carparks is near impossible, you have to continually use reverse to improve your angle of entry/exit, or be prepared to leave bits of your body work behind. Car is very dificut to park being so large, get used to have multiple dents in your doors from other users bashing there door against your to get in and out of car parking bays. tyres to replace are a joke Β£1400 for 4 tyres 14k miles. total joke. i really hate this car thats why im getting rid off it. i will never buy volvo again

paul smith, herts, February 18th 2013

T6 SE 5dr Geartronic

When buying this car we were looking to meet 3 criteria : Safety, reliability and cost of ownership. As you would expect from the Volvo brand. I always felt that this was a safe car, and was very comforted to know my family would be protected should a collision occur. When it came to reliability we feel very very let down. We bought the car as a 1 owner second hand car with 60,000 miles at 3 years old. In the two years of ownership we had to replace 1 anti-roll bar (front), 1 steering column (Β£700+), the rear suspension shocks (Β£1000+) and at the time of sale the rear parking sensors were playing up (Β£300) and the throttle swirl valve was showing on the diagnostic check as needing immanent replacement (Β£400). On top of that a set of brake discs and pads required Β£600 and a middle of the road set of tyres Β£650 ! Add to that road tax of Β£450 + a year...... and this car was turning into a money pit! Nice comfortable car for motorway cruising perhaps, with 40+mpg easily achievable..... but for normal everyday town driving and school run a figure or 28-29 mpg is just too poor at todays diesel prices! Not a great ownership experience overall.

M Buchanan, scotland, January 6th 2013

D5 SE 5dr

Owned for 2 years 2.4D (2009) Pros meaty safe size, excellent in the snow, good sturdy family car, looks Cons mine had annoying steering pull, dealer checked wheel alignment and charged me Β£70, still the same 28 mpg good for such a large meaty vehicle, but not very good by todays standards would buy another

martin lumsden, September 19th 2012

D5 Active 5dr

Bought the car in 2007 new. The SE Sport is the same basic concept and setup as the current R Design, and has sport suspension and the 185hp D5 engine. We loaded up with reversing camera, sat nav, phone, etc. We have now completed 5 years and 45,000 miles. Downsides - It's not been all fault free - there was an oil leak from new that required the engine to be removed to get to it. We had a couple of issues with software crashing and then making the battery go flat (fixed with a software upgrade). This was all covered by warranty. Post warranty we had the plastic pipe that leads to the turbo fall off at about 4 years in, and at the service completed today we had to have all four discs and pads replaced. It's a little heavy on fuel, the ride is a little firm with the sport suspension (it's all relative though) and as noted elsewhere, the engine can be rough when cold or pushed hard. Upsides - almost everything else. We do like the car a lot. It takes a beating from the family and dog and still looks like new (with the minor exception that you can now just see some wear on the drivers seat), The dealer (Bells in Northampton) have been excellent all the way through. It's very comfortable and handles very well for a car of it's size. My wife absolutely loves it, and doesn't want to change it ever. I'm about to replace my car and can't decide whether to get another XC90 for me or the XC60...difficult choice.

Nick Riordan, June 16th 2012

D5 SE Sport 5dr

I previously owned a 2008 XC90 SE, however I had a mad idea to go β€œgreen” and traded it in for a 2010 V70 1.6D SE Lux DrivE. After a year with the very sensible, economical, V70 DrivE, I wanted my XC90 back. I searched high and low for a sensibly priced, low mileage, used XC90, but there was nothing sensible under Β£35k. I found a dealer who was selling brand new XC90 SE Lux’s for Β£33k! I challenged my local dealer to match the price but with a few extras added to the SE Lux specification. My dealer was able to order for me the following brand new XC90: 2012.5 MY, SE Lux, Caspian blue metallic, sunroof, tinted rear windows, powered child locks, private number plate changeover, all for Β£34,995 OTR including; road tax, 3 years warranty, 3 years servicing and 3 years Volvo assist! The car was delivered on 15th December 2011; however at my request the dealer did not register it until 18th January 2012. My XC90’s first adventure was to Spain via the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry. We still managed to clock up 1800 miles in the first three weeks of ownership! The car was packed to the gunnels with a washing machine, kitchen units, two dogs and our luggage. It coped flawlessly and returned a steady 30mpg cruising at 75mph. The weather was poor in the mountainous regions of northern Spain, but no problem for the XC90! Despite some of the negative views that I have read, I am very happy to again be driving an XC90, and if you want to grab a brand new XC90 at a bargain price, now is the time!

J D, March 12th 2012

D5 [200] SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

Less than 2 years old.Problems with rattles inside cabin. Eventually sorted out by dealer (after 3 visits. At 29000 miles angle gear went (whatever that is0. Off road (no pun intended for 6 days whilst dealer waited for part). No courtesey car available! Picked up car 11.30 Thursday (following service and replacement angle box. Friday morning message appeared on dash `4 wheel drive disengaged service needed'. Rang dealer and told it might reset by itself. It didn't (no suprise there). Dealer not able to look at car until next wednesday. Premium Brand! Premium Brand my bum!

Nigel Storer, West Yorkshire, September 16th 2011

D5 Active 5dr

XC90 185 bhp 2.4 D Active 2010 Done 8,000 miles from new. Well built. Not great on fuel (we ave 27 mpg). Not much feel from the steering. Bit tight for 3 kids in middle row even with one using the integrated volvo booster. Was great in the snow and very good at towing our 1800kgs caravan.

Johnny Currie, Dumfries & Galloway, May 23rd 2011

T6 SE 5dr Geartronic

This car is very very comfortable, long jorneys are made easy.Its quiet at speed noisy when slow and cold. however parking sensors went wrong just after warrenty Β£300 repair volvo would not contribute. 4wheel drive not working when towing a boat on gravel path. Dealer did not diagnose, said it was a sensor. Now in the snow could not get out of drive.4wheel drive not working(lucky i wasn't on a beach). Now found out it is mechanical and may cost Β£1000 to fix. not good on a 4 year old car only done 33000 miles.I have not had the repair done as of yet.

chris nile, cornwall, February 7th 2009

D5 S 5dr

Just got rid of this car after a very pleasurable 4 years of ownership!! It was practical (family of seven), smooth and relaxing to drive (if not entertaining) and the build quality was second to none!! We certainly put it through its paces with no major faults as all!! However, high running costs - fuel, road tax, servicing etc - and its meant it was time to change!! Now have a fantastic Ford S-Max which suits us well and is so much more enjoyable to drive, although not sure if the trim will hold us as well as our old Volvo!!

Chris Newman, Surrey, January 28th 2009

D5 SE 5dr

We bought this car as demo with 5000 miles. We have driven to France Ireland and very rural wales 5 times a year. Driven in snow rain floods etc. Apart from engine failure caused by shell fuel (they paid for engine rebuild). We carry 3 kids (plus wife) and dog plus all the luggage without roof box due to clever cargo net system. Car has all the toys and is great for long journeys. Kids in back watch dvd tv system while we in the front listen to ipod via ipod jack. Reversing camera and park aids mean wife has never had a parking accident. Volvo service 1st class. NB mpg 22 mpg compared to 28 mpg on diesel and given average 12 p difference over diesel the car is very cheap to run also we got the car for 8 k less then same spec diesel model. 3.2 v6 gives all the power we need and tank is good for 300 miles fully loaded! Given volvo safety factor this car is the best 4x4 we gave owned previously had ml,disco and freelander. Just convinced friend to buy v8 model and he and wife are very pleased especially as so cheap to buy (14 k list price discount!)

david allen, essex, January 6th 2009

SE Lux 5dr Geartronic

I bought this car three weeks ago, and am very impressed. Smooth on the motorway, which is where I spend most of my time driving, and returning mid to high 30's mpg. Engine is quite noisy on start up, and it will never be a 0-60 king, but as a method of transporting me and my family around in safety and complete comfort, it is excellent. In built DVD screens and mulit-changer keep the children amused for longer journeys, and the seven seat layout proved valuable for ferrying family members around over the festive period.

Alan Jappy, Lincolnshire, January 2nd 2009

D5 SE 5dr

I'm still pinching myself...cant beleive I've actually got one of these beasts...purchased to assist my ageing S80 of 4 years with a 140K on the clock the XC90 is our family car. The reality is its big, very big....but its so comfortable, the driving position is excellent, and you really feel on top of the world driving it....you have to really try it to appreciate it. We have a 185BHP - and it has some pull....and when driving before I know it we are doing 70MPH, hardly any role around bends/RO's, its quiet, we avergae 33mpg. I hate the hand-brake....and worry about hill-starts...and that is the only glich. Servicing...it depends on who you know...I go to a private/sole trading mechanic who has been looking after my cars for 20 years...all Volvos (340,440,S70,S80 now XC90) - none have ever gone wrong...is it the cars or my mechanic?...anyway - annual service (which I do every 6 months depsite these claims of 18K or 12 months these days) - Β£130 and a full set of brake pads...less than Β£150. Its an impressive looker on the drive or in the car parks. Practicality, 4 kids with the missus and friends on trips out - with still space for the picnic in the boot (with the back seats up). As a family, acers of space - struggle to reach to the back of the boot. Great off the beaten track ability too - you just feel sooo good being in it and being seen in it. If I didnt do 30K a year in my S80 (49mpg)I'd have another of these for my work car.

Graham Humphreys, November 29th 2008

D5 SE 5dr [185]

Worst car I have ever had. Since picking up my 03 plate XC90 T6 in March I have only been able to drive it 6 months. The rest of the time it has been in for repairs. Although we bought the car from a Volvo dealership we were sold the car with brakes that needed replacing and a cracked engine seal - all discovered when it went into another dealership a day after to fix a diagnostics fault developed hours after we picked it up. Since then we have had 2 drive shafts, front suspension arms, second brake disks, a whole new engine, bearings, break control module and now after picking up my car after 3 months we only drove it 2 miles before it developed another fault. It now back in the garage. And this was supposed to be a quality reliable car from a Volvo dealership. Although I have complained to Volvo themselves as well as the dealerships they will not take responsibility for how bad this car is. Hey you can drive a XC90 into such incredible situations (ummmm school runs and M4) and get it back out again Not!!!!

mary oliver, tyne & wear, November 17th 2008

T6 SE 5dr Geartronic

53 Reg purchased in Nov 04 with 30k on the clock. The vehicle now has 116k on the clock and is running as well as when I purchased it four years ago. In Dec 2006 the vehicle suffered a catastrophic engine failure resulting in a new transmission and gearbox....Cost to me? Nil. Why? According to Volvo this was the first in the UK to suffer such a failing and wanted to undertake bench tests to establish the exact cause. My dealer replaced everything that needed replacing at near zero cost to me.... So aftercare service from Volvo was superb. The car is used on a daily basis and regularly driven abroad. Servicing is not cheap but to keep a vehicle of this calibre on the road running like a new car don't be surprised or scared in paying out on average Β£700 per service. Anything wrong with the XC90? Overall there's nothing major...Performance is ideal albeit if you want 0-60 in 3 seconds don't buy one. Previous car was an Audi A6 2.8i and that had all the performance required to satisfy that particular need. If there was one thing about my XC that I felt could be improved then I would have to point towards the interior.. It's fit for purpose but nothing seriously refined about it, but I guess I could have purchased one with leather interior. If you have a family and want a vehicle that will provide you with comfort, reliability, good performance and plenty of space then buy one, but be prepared to be hit fairly heavily in the pocket when you get it serviced.

Stuart Harlow, Kent, September 16th 2008