Alfa Romeo 159 Saloon Owner reviews

JTDM Turismo 4dr

TYPICALLY WITH A STUNNING ITALIAN CAR LIKE THE ALFA 159 YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE USUAL REPETITIVE COMMENTS FROM NON ITALIAN CAR OWNERS (probrably envy that what I think) ON MY SECOND ALFA NOW AFTER AN 8 YEAR LOVE AFFAIR WITH A 156 2.0LTR TWINSPARK WHICH LOVED TO BE RAGGED TO THE REDLINE DAILY. THE 159 IS LESS MANIC AND MORE CIVILIZED AND GROWN UP IN COMPARESEN. A GREAT CAR TO GET INTO AND BE SEEN IN, I AGREE WITH MOST REVIEWS FROM ACTUAL OWNERS THAT THIS CAR TURNS HEADS ESPECIALLY BMW AND VAG DRIVER I LOVE THIS CAR. BLACK, LEATHER, ALL THE TOYS BUT BEST OF ALL ARE THE LOOKS AND ITS ITALIAN. I will never drive a dull car again, used to own golfs and audis like everyone else, its been the best 10 years of my driving life. FOPRZA ALFA, MASERATI, LAMBORGHINI, LANCIA, ABARTH, FERRARI...thank god for Italians.

scott le huray, hampshire, December 31st 2014

JTDM Turismo 4dr

I despair at WhatCar's consistent harsh criticism of Alfa Romeo and its sycophantic promotion of German cars. I've had my 2006 159 for over three years and I still look forward to driving it every day. This is because Alfa Romeo know how capture the imagination of the driver by balancing the introduction of new technology to increase performance like the JTS engine and also remembering its impressive racing history by naming and styling their cars after successful racing models. Alfa Romeo style its cars so they look and sound like a car that car lovers aspire to own. I love the sound of the 2.2 JTS engine when it revs at the 4000 and above RPM levels. It sounds like an Italian car should sound, confident, proud and aggressive. I wish WhatCar would stop testing and promoting the diesel Alfa's. The essence of the Alfa ownership experience will always be in owning a petrol car, if you want a diesel buy some other generic car. The handling is sharp,responsive and stable and the car is practical enough for use on family trips. The interior of the 159 Lusso has well thought out Italian style which puts the German cars to shame. The one thing I do agreed on with WhatCar is the Alfa styling is beautiful and stands out in a sea of generic and boring German and Japanese rivals. I've owned a BMW and an Audi and neither of those cars makes me feel the way I do when I drive an Alfa Romeo. My experience with German cars is they aren't anymore reliable or cheap to run than Alfas.

Nick Hadjirallis, OXON, January 3rd 2014

JTDM Turismo 4dr

For those of you who remember the β€˜Fast Show’, as Swiss Tony may say β€œThe Alfa Romeo 159 is like making love to a beautiful woman”, a beautiful woman with VD maybe. It looks stunning and its great to drive at first but soon afterwards the problems start. And most likely continue like a bad rash. Despite several friends and colleagues warning me about unreliability I purchased an Alfa 159 2.4JTDm (latest 210bhp engine) in April 2010. I had the remainder of the manufacturers warranty to ensure any problem would be dealt with. How wrong I was. If you are thinking buying an Alfa Romeo 159, don't because if anything goes wrong its a nightmare, consider the fact that any major part has to be shipped from Italy. That takes a minimum of 5 working days. My story is a catalogue of errors and the most incredible saga of unreliability in a car manufacturer. My car is on its 5th new engine, replaced 4 times in the past year. I have broken down 8 times in an Alfa Romeo within 12 months. 5 times in my own car and 3 times in the garages courtesy vehicles. Considering the car has been in the garage for approximately 8 months out of the past 12 it is still not working properly. All the UK garages are franchises so Alfa Romoeo themselves do not corporately own anything which makes resolving a problem incredibly difficult. There is limited characters in this review so I couldnt even begin to explain the problems but would urge you not to buy one of these cars.

Alex Bielinski, May 11th 2011

JTDM 16V 4dr

My 159 has now covered 80,000 miles on an 06 plate. This is my first Alfa, having had Merc C's and E's for past 10 years. Suprisingly and against a lot of my friends doom and gloom stories, I love it! Build quality inside is not too good with plasctic covers coming off easily, but when that engine gets going its like a typhoon! My only criticism is not for the car but for the dealer I go to in Cheshire. They are inflexible, non communicative and very difficult to deal with. Do all Alfa dealerships carry no spares?? Brake pads and disc's have been changed, but only after a return visit as they carry no spares of these allegedly! Β£26.00 to replace a side bulb??? Come on Alfa, get your act together or I may be paying a visit to Audi and BMW in May!!

David Worthington, CHESHIRE, January 12th 2009

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

I've always fancied an Alfa but never been in a position to buy a young enough one for it to make sense. This was compounded by the fact that my neighbour had a 156 which tended to have a few niggling faults. I've owned my 159 for 6months now and had very few issues with it. Obviously it is a beautiful car, inside and out. Sitting in traffic on the M4/M25 every morning it far outshines the BMW, Audi and Mercedes brigade. It is great to drive, although the engine is not as flexible as it might be, making the car feel 'heavy' if you try to accelerate hard in the wrong gear. Fuel economy is reasonable - 47mpg crusing at a steady 70mph on the motorway, 35 taking the country route. I'd buy another one, and recommend one to friends. I couldn't give a particular reason as to why, I just would. great to look at, great to drive, excellent talking point...and hopefulyl not as expensive to own in the long run as Alfas of old!

Paul Konig, Berkshire, December 31st 2008

JTDM 16V TI 4dr

After weeks of trying to decide between a 3 series and 159, I let my heart overtake my head and go for the 159. Stunning looks and nice ride soon loose there appeal when you get 26 miles from the garage, break down and spend 3 hours in the rain waiting to be towed back by the AA (faulty fitting between the fuel pipe and pump). I knew Alfa had reliability problems but think this may be a record!

Simon Jones, October 13th 2008

JTDM Lusso 4dr

I previously had a 156 2.4 JDM. This had great flexibility from as low as 1000rpm. The 159 engine is very different and needs a lot more use of gears to keep it going below 2500rpm. I am also disappointed with the harsh engine noise when accelerating; no comparison with the old T Spark petrol engines! This is my fifth Alfa so I am a devotee regardless of the comments. Syling is great, the interior is always a good place to be and, thank goodness, now that Alfa have sorted their dealerships, customer service is excellent. If Alfa could inject a bit more zip into the 159 and reduce its weight it would be a real winner.

Mike Rogers, North Yorks, August 8th 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

This is my first Alfa and I am wondering why it has taken so long. Having been through the usual 3 and 5 series BMW's, C-class merc's, A4's etc. the Alfa beats the rest of them by a distance. The drive is superb, very solid and precise - exactly what is needed for a driving car. I have had it for about 6 weeks and done 5,000 miles and not a single moment of the fabled Alfa unreliability has surfaced. Fuel economy is a little lower than exected; I get around 34 in town and up to 41 for motorways. I have heard comments about the lack of storage space in the car and boot. This is true, but walking up to the car and looking at the front view makes up for such a lot (I deliberatly park it so I walk to the front, it is that good!). The boot holds a set of clubs, but not comfortably. Overall, everyone should buy an Alfa - the 159 is a superb drivers car. It is also interesting to see the amount of respect from other drivers when in the Alfa.

Sean Power, August 5th 2008

JTS TI 4dr

i love this car... i have now done over 20000 miles and the 2.2 really is an absolute a pleasure to drive. what i don't understand is that reviewers state the bmw 3 series and the audi a4 are of better build quality than the 159. are you serious? i had a 2006 bmw 3 series before trading for an alfa... the 159 is much better car especially when it comes to price . the 159 feels better, drives better, looks better. what more could i ask for. test drive this car it won't disappoint. my dealer has been an absolute gem to deal with. no problems whatsoever. and for that its a five star all the way... p.s my dads now trading the landrover for a 2.4 diesel brera.

adam smith, July 22nd 2008

V6 JTS Q4 Lusso 4dr

On a very simple level the fact that just thinking about the fact I now own the 159 brings a smile to my face. I can't see it wearing off. Having just spent 3 years with a brilliant but ultimately soulless Golf GTI DSG it reminds that owning a car isn't just about a great engine. The Alfa is style plus performance and quality. Back to reality and the 3.2 feels quick but not electric, it's a sharp drive for a big car and it seems pretty well screwed together. I'm trying not to think about fuel consumption and preferring to wind down the window and listen to the V6 :-) I can't remember doing that too often in the 328 I owned a few years back. Try one - you won't be disapointed.

Nigel Tilley, May 2nd 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

After 3 months the novelty has not worn off. Great car to drive and to look at. I drive cars for a living (mainly Vauhall, Ford and Peugeot with the odd BMW and Audi thrown in) and this feels so much better than any of them. Its looks go without saying! I recently had a trip to Toulouse and the entire journey was a complete pleasure. The German alternatives may have plus points but they are so boring!

alan murdoch, February 22nd 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! no matter how long a day I have had and how far I have to drive....it doesn't matter...in fact the further the better!!!! It's great on the motorway and hugs the corners on country roads. Honestly if you are in any doubt GET IT...you will not regret it.

Liz Harris, February 10th 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

After reading the reviews I decided to through caution to the wind and lease a 159 for my wife. Previously we had a Toyota Rav4 on a 12 month lease. No problems. The Alfa arrived from the leasing company. It had done 21 miles. They left it with me. Upon starting the car I noticed that the orange engine symbol was on and not going off. It told me to take the car to my dealer!. I didnt make it. The car lost complete power on the M8 dropping from 75mph to less than 5 mph in under a second! Mayhem on a 6 lane motorway ensued. The police, and AA came and a 4 mile tail back. Upon being towed to the Alfa Dealer and was asked the mileage. I said about 30 miles. Without the slightest embarassment he said that they could not even look at it for at least a week! (Why?). The AA guy was as stunned as I was! Give me a courtesy car? No chance they had none! At that point myself and the AA representative were pushed to one side by another employee anxious that the reception guy view the latest illegal download - his words- he had just received. Alfas- reliable? Please Their dealer network in Scotland caring?- Please. This is worse than even I expected. Its getting handed back asap.

Kenneth Beattie, January 30th 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

So far after 23k miles in 9 months, nothing has fallen off or gone wrong ( it seems a shame to have to start with this comment but everyone seems to think that an Alfa will go wrong). All I have topped up is the windscreen washer bottle and some oil after 6000 miles. The oil consumption seems to have settled down. To date it is the best car I have owned.It looks great and the interior is so much nicer than the competition. All who have been inside have come away impressed and can't believe it is the diesel version, as it is so quiet on the move. At standstill there is a bit more rattle than my previous Honda Accord but not much in it. Performance is much more peaky however and limited to a narrow rev range. Find your self in the wrong gear and it doesn't move fast.It feels a heavy car and this can blunt the performace but smooths the bumps even on 17 inch wheels. My only gripe is the lack of dealers. So far i have no compalints. The front Bridgstone tyres didn't last too long and have been replaced at 20k miles. I know someone with the 18 inch alloys and their fronts are due to be replaced at 13k! The Bridgstones obviously don't last long. Let's hope the new Michelins last longer. You don't see many 159's on the road, which makes driving one even more special. Hopefully all will be well for another 2 years.

Mike Wallace, East Yorkshire, January 8th 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

Having been persuaded by a colleague to try an Alfa Romeo I bought a second hand 156 JTDM and loved it. When the 159 came out I was totally smitten by its looks and, encouraged by excellent reports from Messrs Clarkson and the Daily Telegraphs Honest John bought a 1.9JTDM Lusso in metallic black with beige leather trim. Being an Alfa it’s sadly had some faults, most noticeably a vibration in 3rd gear and a humming noise from the dash. But both these problems were fixed by the dealer, Bishops in Guildford, who are just as good as any Audi / Mercedes dealer I’ve dealt with in the past. The car itself is really well equipped and even today I’m still discovering nice touches and thoughtful features. The car is fantastic to drive, not the most powerful for sure, but as a package I think unbeatable for the price and those looks! Though not new any more it never fails to surprise me how many people will come over and say what a great looking car it is and how they wish they could have an Alfa.

Tom Gutteridge, Surrey, January 4th 2008

JTDM 16v Lusso 4dr

just had the car now 6 weeks and think it is excellent . ran Audi A4 until my dealer told me the new A4 was on 5 month delivery. I so glad he did .the build quality is good but just lacks a little something, but the leather is beautiful.its a nice car to drive and very good fun when you push it, turn off the traction control and it gives you just slight under at the limit. And as the same as so many other readers people just love the looks of this car. thanks Audi !!!!!

steve hall, west yorkshire, November 19th 2007

JTDM Lusso 4dr

I have had my Alfa 159 for nearly a year now. I have suffered from a rattling sunroof, a faulty alarm, a defective Bose Sub-Woofer, a jumpy CD Changer and a rattling glove box. But...WHO CARES...This car is fantastic! It's an absolute joy to drive. Every time I drive past a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, I feel sooo smug knowing that I am driving the coolest, sportiest car Β£25k can buy. Even the interior is pretty good, maybe not BMW standard, but it looks a damn sight better thats for sure, with the dashboard sporty and angled towards you like it should be. Well done Alfa! I get mine serviced at Mangoletsi in Knutsford, they are superb - as good as any BMW dealer, and I've known a few.

Joe Incutti, November 17th 2007

V6 JTS Q4 Lusso 4dr

I really struggled to buy this car new last year - Alfa Romeo seemed to make it really difficult to obtain a test drive, then deliver it. So was it worth the wait? It's a great looking car - I share the experience of others here who have had complete strangers stop to admire and comment on the car. It's great fun to drive, very pokey and very comfortable, and the interior quality is high in terms of the materials used: the leather is luxurious, the plastics and aluminium trim high-quality. However, whether the build quality is as high as, say, an Audi is open to debate. The odd rattle is appearing and the bonnet release catch came away on mine. Downsides? The steering feels very light, and is thrown out by relatively minor bumps and holes. It is very sensitive to road camber and strong braking has it moving around a bit. I've asked my dealer to check this but anything they did(?) made no difference. I also found the car driving itself occasionally (not the cruise contol, which I never use!), continuing to accelerate when I took my foot off the gas from a starting position. The dealer looked at this also, though it's happened again once since then. Whether these are congenital problems or just experinced on mine I've no idea - I'm going to another dealer to find out! Overall, it's a good-looking car and great to drive fast. Take a test drive and make your own mind up.

Andy Proudfoot, Surrey, November 6th 2007

JTDM Lusso 4dr

If you can first of all get over the fact that this is not a German car (and therefore will not score highly with What Car journalists and all those sales reps in gray suits)the 159 is a wonderful piece of engineering and a superb car to own. Yes it isn't as powerful or as good to handle as the BMW 3 series equivalent, but then it is so much more individual and appealing to drive. Unlike other readers I have had my car for six months with absolutely no problems whatsoever. In the same time I have had so many people comment on what a nice car it is that I have lost count. People even gather round it in car parks just to look at the beauty of it. When has that ever happened to a BMW or Audi (R8 excepted of course)?

Howard Brown, Berkshire, October 28th 2007

JTS Turismo 4dr

its no good at all. i hate this machine it is going back to italy as fast as possible. dont ever buy one they are useless buy a perodua nipper instead. that jeremy ckarkson says its good it is rubbish

mathew jeffries, October 4th 2007