Alfa Romeo Brera Coupe Owner reviews

JTDM [210] SV 3dr

Only had the car for 2 weeks but have to say very impressed. Purchased 2nd hand (6 months old - 6000 miles). Have got the auto box which is beautifully smooth and great fun if you switch to either sports mode or use the paddles on the steering wheel. Build quality seems very good - the cabin is especially well put together and provides a really great driving environment. I am 5ft 11" and have no problem with headroom but with my seat in a comfortable position there is NO room behind for a rear seat passenger. Handling and ride is superb on the 18" optional wheels and the steering is precise with great feel - no idea where Whatcar get their 'vague' comment. As everyone else says this car is really about the looks - and it looks fabulous. People really do stop and stare. Like others I bought this car with my heart - and I am still in love.

graham bonner, Herts, January 28th 2009

JTDM SV 3dr

I have owned my Brera 2.4 JTDM for six months and covered a little under 10,000 miles in that time. The performance of the car is very good, with 200 bhp and a broad and accessible spread of torque far removed from the narrow power band delivered by our two-litre VW Golf GT TDi and Audi A3 Sportback before that. The engine is also happy to rev freely through the range, with well-chosen gear ratios and a relaxed sixth gear for motorway cruising. Ride and handling are firm, especially with the 18” alloys fitted to my car, but the suspension copes well with most surfaces and avoids undue crashing over potholes and ruts; no manufacturer can engineer out all the effects of low profile tyres and heavy, large alloy wheels. The steering is direct and precise, if somewhat lacking in feel: perhaps due to the heavier diesel engine in this model. These things, however, are secondary to the overall experience which is the most satisfying of any car I have owned or driven to date. The styling is exquisite, with an overall impact matched by fine detailing on the exterior and throughout the interior. The quality of the fit and finish on my car is superb, with great features such as the real brushed aluminium dash and very attractive white on red β€œchronograph” dials. Overall, this is a car that I bought with my heart but have had no cause to question when thinking purely with my head. It is a reliable, fast, well-built GT with huge presence and pleasure in ownership.

Tom Hurrell, December 3rd 2008

JTS SV 3dr

Love it - there is not much more I can say. I have just upgraded from a Mini Cooper S and although the drive and engine are not as urgent, the overall feel, quality and style are remarkable. The is not a practical car...but it is a coupe - buy a 159 if you want great back seats. The boot is massive albeit with a high lip. The quality and equipment levels are very generous, the interior is an amazing place to be and the massively comfortable, elegant leather seats make journeys a real treat. The engine revs freely, the sound and blurb, just stunning. Other reviewers have mentioned the wow factor and I couldn't agree more, although I was sceptical. People have stopped me in the street and commented, others stare and take photo's...really amazing considering the price of the car.

Gary Hinton, July 18th 2008

JTS SV 3dr

What a car! I've had mine for 3 months and I absolutely love it. It is a beautiful car that draws a great deal of attention. It is not only fantastic to drive but also boasts a surprising practicality.The cabin is roomy, functional, and a very cool place to be. The gadgets are guaranteed to impress your friends though I have read the handbook twice and still do not know how to operate everything. Granted there is not much room in the back, but if you want this car you should not be a family man, but a man who has a new hottie in the passenger seat on a daily basis.The drive is comfortable, and the grip is exceptional. It is very firm on the 18"rims and the clearance is less than you might expect. I would describe it as a GT rather than a sports coupe, though I have this nagging feeling that I should have gone for the 3.2 as there is a lack grunt and the engine noise is more of a purr than a growl. Negatives? My steering pulls to the left despite many trips to the dealer to get it sorted. The boot release works intermitantly and the visability isn't great. The car does not like driving at slow speeds especially when cold, which can make for a jerky ride around town. I was also greatly disappointed by the MPG. Despite a claimed 38, my best on a motorway sitting at 70mph is 32mpg. More realistic driving returns a paltry 27, which is not much better than my friend's 22mpg in his 3.2 version.Despite this, when I park up and walk away, I always look back and smile.

Felix Carman, swansea, April 12th 2008

JTDM SV 3dr

First the bad news- yes it broke down. Or to be more precise I had a flat battery. The dealer has assured me it was just bad luck and in all fairness it hasn't missed a a beat since then. The Brera is really a GT car, it's far too heavy to be a sports car. Which isn't a bad thing as i do long motor way stints. The ride is unsettled in the city but on the motor way it's just fine. The cabin is a very special place to be. A big slab of alu and deeply cowled instruments. You feel like you're in something with soul. Which is just as well because at 6ft I only just fit into the cabin. You can forget about the rear, useless for people, great for extra weekend luggage. I chose the diesel option and gave it some extra poke via a new chip set (245bhp) so there is plenty of pulling power, over taking is safe and the car has a relaxed cruising feel. It's proving a bit thirsty but I'm hoping it will settle with a few more miles under the wheels, though the chip set might be contributing towards its consumption. The good news- what a looker. This car draws a lot of attention from other drivers and pedestrians- lustful l stares. This is where the Brera really wins. It's a stunner and makes you feel good driving it. Why have this over a three series coupe? If you really want to stand out and drive something a bit more human then the Brera is the car for you. Just make sure you're local dealer is one of the better Alfa dealers.

bobby bhopal, dublin, January 3rd 2008

JTDM SV 3dr

I rented this car for a long weekend. It wasn't what I originally ordered (that was a VW Eos), but I thought it was the next best thing. Some of the reviews talk about fitting people over 6ft tall into the car, but I can't see how. I'm only 5ft 8in, and my head was touching the roofline with the seat in the lowest setting. The engine pulls very well, and the economy is OK for a diesel (about 27mpg). As for other gripes, I found the rear seats useless, the indicator/wiper stalks very flimsy and plasticky and the visibility limited. I've always liked Alfas and this was my first chance to drive one. I wouldn't buy this car, but I'd love to compare it to the 159, which would be better for day-to-day use. This is a car you buy for passionate reasons and nothing else, and it would help if you're under 5ft 8in tall! It's very good on the road, the cabin really needs to be more spacious and I'm the sure the ongoing costs would be on the high side. But as other reviewers have said, this is a car you buy with your heart, not your head.

Aaron Spain, ., August 21st 2007

JTDM SV 3dr

This car is a stunner to look at and to drive. It's a real head turner and I can't stop smiling as it is always a conversation piece. Beemers, Audis and Mercs are now 10 a penny on the roads, Mondeo man migrated to them! This is my third Alfa and have driven over 160,000 miles in them over the past 7 years. The Brera is by far the best and oh, that little percieved niggle that the car mags are always on about. Reliability? in that period the only things that I had to have replaced were turbo inlet pipes amounting to Β£45 on a diesel and a power steering fluid hose on a Twin Spark. Back to the Brera, I'm over 6 foot and haedroom is not a problem nor is it for my son who is 6'5"! The car is a great long distance cruiser and very relaxed but welly it and it's a different beastie which has left many cat faced beemers trailing. I'd recommend one to anyone who likes something stylish, sexy and very different to the boring main stream

Chris Philipson, East Sussex, May 12th 2007

JTS SV 3dr

I've had the car for 9 months after an S3 and other German dullards. This car is worth every penny, reports of it's failings are greatly overstated. It is great to look at and great to be sat in. Soft brakes, poor rear visibility......please....if any other car manufacturer was delivering this kind of product in this price range the aorld woudl be a much more stylish place.

Brett Jesson, Gloucestershire, May 10th 2007

JTS SV 3dr

There's no doubting the the Brera is an eye-catcher, suggesting at one glance both elegant tourer and muscle car. However, anyone expecting blistering or even punchy performance will be disappointed. The 2.2 needs to be worked up the gears as quickly as possible to get the heavy frame in decent motion. Steering is very responsive and light; excellent for the turning circle but a tad overly sensitive on the straight line. Lack of headroom is an issue, especially in the SV. Drivers over 6ft will not enjoy the driving position!! Visibility out the back window, though reported as very bad, is no worse than many other models. Build quality appears high, although some of the driving wheel stalk switch-gear has a lightweight feel. Overall, a beautiful car and a refined and comfortable tourer for anyone under 6ft tall....who doesn't need to offer anymore than a single passenger a lift!

p j, October 2nd 2006