TB MultiAir 140 Distinctive 3dr TCT

My experience is like the vast majority of readers on this site : I absolutely love this car - my best ever. I have had two Alfa 33s, one Alfa 147 (my last car), but this one absolutely tops the lot. The TCT gearbox is just brilliant : I drive always in automatic in town, but change to manual gear changing on the steering on country roads or motorways with the DNA switch set to Dynamite ! OK, the real word is "Dynamic" but "Dynamite" is a lot more appropriate. As one or two readers have mentioned, this December 2014 1.4 Multiair TCT Turbo leaves all other cars trailing in acceleration on the road - I have never ever driven a car that accelerates so fast, despite having had 3 Alfa Romeo hot hatches previous to this one. As for country roads, in Dynamite mode this car simply grabs the road and lets you accelerate ad infinitum around bends. I have seen the word "love" many times in the review - well, I have to say I too love this car. It's an absolute head turner, you get nothing but compliments with it, the ride is great and comfortable, the level of equipment is perfect, the interior is so so stylish, and driving in town traffic in auto is just plain comfort. The only things I miss are interior grab handles for all passengers and the driver, and proper places for coffee cups. No owner can fail to love this car !

Michel CY, January 15th 2015

TB 155 Lusso 3dr

This car is my first car. Please, if you have any common sense, DO NOT take this review for granted. I have owned my Alfa Romeo mito turismo for nearly 2 months now, and because of how amazing it is, I will definitely have it for many years to come!! This review talks about how a Ford Fiesta is better to drive... Let me tell you all one thing... I a, learning in a 2014 Ford Fiesta, with only 3000 miles on the clock, and I find it absolutely awful to drive! My 2009 Alfa Romeo mito with 18000 miles on the clock is sooooooo much better! The gearbox is smooth, the brakes are strong and the steering is much better than stated in all of the modes on the DNA system (which I find to be brilliant for having fun! Although, I will concede that there are some problems, high load lip for boot, paint is easily chipped, but these are minor. You can buy this car, and you will see why people LOVE Alfa Romeo! It look gorgeous, it drives like, well, an Alfa, and it is certainly not a common car, so you will be noticed. Please, don't forget about this car when buying, I nearly did, but thank god I changed my mind at the last second. I adore this car!!!!

Luke Wakelin, December 23rd 2014

TB MultiAir 135 Distinctive 3dr

So the Mito got a bit of a slating from the What Car folks and other reviewers... Yes, the ride is on the firm side of the scale, but I wouldn't say it's as uncomfortable as one is led to believe based on the various reviews out there. It's certainly a big step up from the 1.4 Clio we had with its suspension made out of - erm - concrete. The 1.4 135bhp engine delivers sufficient punch and produces a nice soundtrack. The DNA switch allows you to change between different driving modes, but once you've set it to "D" for "Dynamic", you'll probably end up leaving it in that position permanently because the steering is better and the engine more responsive. To me, they should have just set up the car in the Dynamic setting and left it at that. Space and visibility in the back are limited, but you don't get this type of car to permanently transport a family of 4. Our car is now 2 years old; there are no faults to report other than a battery that wouldn't hold the charge, but we believe this was down to the car not being used regularly by the previous owners. It was replaced by the local Alfa Romeo dealer (T H White, Swindon) without a quibble. The main criticism I have would be the paintwork - there are already quite a few stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet. I think this is partly due to the rounded shape, but I'd still expect the paint to be a bit stronger. A great, enjoyable car and something different from the hoards of Minis and A1s out there.

Richa Gauger, Wilts, October 10th 2014

TB MultiAir 135 Sportiva 3dr

As others have mentioned here, do not be put off by the 2* Whatcar review. The car is far better than this. The "drive/running costs/cabin" categories listed by Whatcar make it difficult to fully describe the full ownership experience of the MiTo. I know it sounds clichΓ©d, but there is just something 'special' about this car. I am definitely a car lover, but even still, it borders on ridiculous just how often I glance back at the MiTo when I park somewhere I have a Series 2 example with the upgraded touchscreen radio. This really helps the look of the centre console. Along with touches such as the green and white stitching, aluminium pedals, 4-leafed clover kick plates, black head lining and pillar less doors, the interior feels very special. Admittedly, the door cards are made of hard scratchy plastic. But if the additional manufacturing costs of soft touch plastics meant I had to do without some of those other details, I would not be a happy man! The ride is also quite firm but this is a side effect of the spectacular 18 inch wheels, so it's a sacrifice I am more than happy to make. The engine is just a gem, pure and simple. When I drive making full use of its turbo'd 135 horses, I return 39mpg. When I ease back I can get 42 mpg. In dynamic mode the car always feels very eager, a slight increase of throttle and it surges ahead. When changing lanes, rear visibility can be a bit of an issue. But again, the lovely flick of the window line looks so good I can forgive th

Wallace Penny, Antrim, July 18th 2014

JTDM-2 85 Sprint 3dr

I have just sold my 2012 Mito Sprint 1.3jtdm2 after 8 months and 23,000 trouble free miles. Excellent fuel consumption of 64mpg average. Downsides to ownership – abysmal dipped beam headlights – the worst in 43 years of driving! and a propensity to ground the front spoiler on speed cushions even at walking pace. Oh and Alfa need to address the lack of Dealerships. The car suffered remarkably low depreciation (21p a mile). It has now been replaced with a 2013 Mini Cooper Clubman Diesel.

Les Abbottt, January 22nd 2014

TB 155 Lusso 3dr

Glad I did not listen to this review. The Alfa Romeo Mito is the steal of the century. Why your mates are driving Ford and Vauxhalls they will be secretly wishing they bought an Alfa. The mini is like a kids toy car compared to this, it has neither the luxury or comfort of the Mito. Why would you by a dull and boring Fiesta or Corsa when you can have so much more! Buy one if you can find one.

JAMES HOLLOWAY, Swansea, January 9th 2014

TB 155 Lusso 3dr

I'm not going to write war and peace on this accept to say having forty years of motoring behind me and owning both Mercedes and BMW this car is the tops. I don't need two cars or lots of room anymore and the MITO has rebooted my love for motoring. Something that had been lost many years ago. Mine's a diesel in Alfa Romeo red, handles like a dream, superb driving position and comfort, all the power I need in dynamic mode and 54mpg in normal. Its in a league of its own compared to the dull as dish water Audi A1 and comes with over one hundred years of motoring heritage free of charge. Anyone who compares this car to a fiesta is missing the point by a million miles. If you want practicality buy a van, if you want style, good build quality and fun then buy an Alfa, no contest.

Peter Brooksbank, Devon, July 7th 2013

TB MultiAir 135 Distinctive 3dr

Things I love... interior and external trims for the distinctive/ the 135 bhp with only a 1.4 engine means great fuel economy/ brilliant acceleration when in dynamic even for an automatic/ automatic gear changes are very smooth with no jolting/ seat confort and positions of the steering wheel and seat which is great for longer journeys/ sound quality of the stereo is very good/ steering wheel controls are very easy to use/ bluetooth phone quality is exceptional/ room in the back seats is adequate/ boot size is fairly large and roomy/ external appearance is beautiful/ I have a very small pendrive (due to the ipod not workng)in the ipod connector in which songs and album can be selected from the car computer screen... love it. Problems... ipod does not work in the ipod connector!

Rachel Seymour, Hertfordshire, June 2nd 2013

TB 155 Lusso 3dr

Very refined car. I am surprised at how WhatCar have slated the handling. Don't believe it and make you own minds up. I have moved from a Fiesta and its another world. The wind noise and cabin noise is not an issue in fact I would say its very quiet. Passengers in the back can hear conversation in the front - never could in the Fiesta. Feels so solid and drives like a bigger car. Yes its firm - but all well handling cars that tend to be 'drivers care' are. If you want soft and sloppy choose something else! No rattles or squeaks and the materials used are top quality. Rear visibilty is limited but with convex mirrors and parking sensors and a rear window its fine. This scenario is a result of having a solid 5 star N-CAP safety shell, so its a good thing. I looked at Minis and wanted to love them but they are tiny in comparison and the wobbly stuck on gauges shout children's toy to me - trys too hard. This is my 4th Alfa - all have never let me down and all have been slick, had admirers and performed well. Keep an open mind!

Rob Wisdom, January 18th 2013

16V Lusso 3dr

I think What Car have been harsh in their judgements on the Mito and this must be part of the explanation for some buyers wanting to join the line for a Fiesta or a Corsa or some other Euro-box. Mito is such a better car. Now maybe if it had a blue oval on the front things might be different. The cabin is full of design touches which impress me like the aqua and benzina labels on the water and fuel guages, the carbon fibre effect dash, the soft down-lights under the doors at night as you step out. It is solidly put together, there are no squeaks or rattles anywhere inside and since I bought the car in March from Western in Edinburgh, reliability has been perfect. The seats are very comfortable as is the driving position. Steering is agile and very easy in normal but tightens up in dynamic along with the throttle response. The gears are smooth and precise and the clutch is light. Tyre roar can an irritation on rougher motorway surfaces. My 1.4 engine is not multi-air and is not that fast but the pace is decent and in Dynamic mode becomes very decent. MPG is very good - I can sit at 70mph on 3000 revs in sixth gear sipping petrol - and as a retiree on a pension, this I need to know! The rear view from the mirror is tight but the side mirrors are good. I am smitten with the Alfa but no regrets at all and I still get a buzz driving the car and looking at myself in shop windows - sad at my age. The Mito is a car you can decide to own after using your heart AND your h

Gordon Smith, Stirlingshire, July 19th 2012

TB MultiAir 170 Quadrifoglio Verde 3dr

I've owned two of these mainly due to the poor quality of the first vehicle , the multiair engine isn't what you would call efficient to say the least . I usually get 30mpg in N mode which is the fuel effiecient mode extra urban which isn't good for a 1.4cc vehicle . Other than that the gearboxes are clunky and often just refuses to change into first or reverse without double de-clutching and even then its an effort , sometimes it doesn't go in at all and you revert to 2nd gear . Paint quality is poor and expect lots of paint chips to the rear arches especially if you have Alfa red , trim quality isn't that bad but expect the odd electrical gremlin . My climate control fails quite regularly and also I've had the rear spoiler fall off , back brakes lock on causing the discs to go a lovely shade of blue and many others issues . The dealers are also a big issue as the two locally don't like to do that many repairs and most things are quoted as a characteristic when they don't work . Expect to be told that you shouldn't expect Japanese build quality from an Italian car and that any gearbox issues don't exist . I could go on listing the negatives but on its day its a very practical decent little hot hat . They have looks to die for especially with the 18 inch alloy and in D mode the turbo performs excellently and no other small engine will provide this much mid range torque . Its a shame that Alfa's usual quality and dealership service issues make the vehicle a nightmare to own.

john driver, nottinghamshire, May 16th 2011

TB Veloce 3dr

I've owned the Mito since 2009 and it has been the best car that I've ever driven! I also own a MINI Cooper and even though I love that also - I prefer to drive the Mito! We specced ours with the red leather interior and this adds to the already luxurious interior. It's well built and just a very salubrious place to be. The Blue & Me is a great feature and the USB reader and DNA driving system are all useful features that I utilise to enhance my driving experience. The drive is very good, although not as "go-kart" like as the MINI. The space inside is better than the MINI - the boot is considerably larger. 2 years on I still get comments about the Mito and it still turns head - just makes each journey feel special. I'd consider owning one again!

TONY STACEY, NORTH YORKSHIRE, May 2nd 2011

TB MultiAir 135 Sprint 3dr TCT

I own the 1.4 135BHP Multiair TCT Mito Sprint. Personally, What Car's review is over critical of a great small car. This car is well specc'd with cruise control, air con, Bluetooth hands free, sports trim, Leather steering wheel with controls, MP3 compatibility, Heated Mirrors, Auto Lights, onboard computer, Alloys. The car is practical (i have 2 small dogs that fit in the boot, the space is better than the A1 (which is very basic), it is very well built and the layout is functional with a bit of Italian Finesse. On the road there is hardly any wind noise until you get over 100mph, it is very pacey, the auto box is very very good indeed and the it is fun to drive. It IS a little on the firm side and the ride height is quite low. I have covered 2500 miles since the 11 plate came out 29 days ago and the only problem I have had was when I first got it. The AA had to come out after the engine management light came on. This was due to a sensor in the exhaust picking up changes in CO2, it has not happened since. The build quality is comparable with BMW and AUDI and VW that I have all owned in the past 5 years. Infact the BMW 1 Series Convertible my FiancΓ© has is not built as well as this. If you want something different to a MINI, Practical, good to drive, well Specc'd and well built - this is the car for you. Don't let the ALFA history put you off, things have moved on. I looked at a Polo, an A1, a Fiesta, A Clio, Mini, C3, Punto - nothing came close for the money.

David Conte, Nottinghamshire, March 29th 2011

JTDM Veloce 3dr

Have a love hate relationship with this car. Very stylish, a great looking supermini, nice interior and very well equipped. The diesel engine is both good fun, and economical. Performance is excellent, plenty in reserve for overtaking and that turbo gives you a shove in the back. Handling meanwhile is only good. Good grip but steering feel is limited and some understeer. Mini better here, but still fun through the bends. Mechanical reliability has been superb. Nothing has gone wrong. However there have been a few niggles with heater light, parts of exterior trim coming lose, and although alfa dealers try and please, they always wash the car before collection and keep me informed, they managed to damage mine when washing it and now have it booked in to respray the bonnet. They did tell me though rather than let me find out first. So better than Ford dealer I used before, but still room for improvement. They could do with more local dealers. Now for the bad. Can't get comfortable. Driving position feels slightly wrong, have tried many different ones (plenty of adjustment),seats give me backache on any journey over 30 minutes, and ride is very firm. I didn't notice this lack of comfort on the test drive but I drove lusso with less sporty seats and smaller wheels. Definitely test drive the exact specification you are going to buy first. Unfortunately I'm just too uncomfortable and will part ex for a seat leon. A flawed gem then, 9/10 for fun and running costs, 2/10 for comfort.

Paul Tasker, West Yorks, August 11th 2010

TB 155 Veloce 3dr

I have just test driven the 155bhp Veloce and was very pleasantly surprised. Earlier in the day I had taken a new style Mini Cooper out for a test and, though the car was very accomplished, I counted about 20 other minis on the road during the half hour that I was out. Perhaps Mini has been the victim of its own success and has turned from being a very funky little car into a rather ubiquitous choice? As far as the driving experience went I felt that the engine was strong with plenty of torque, and though the ride was firm it is no worse than the Mini's. Alfa's new DNA system actually felt like it really did something (as opposed to the so called sport button on my BMW)and I left it in dynamic for the duration without the need to seek the urgent attention of a chiropractor upon return! The steering was positive with plenty of feedback and really encouraged fast progress through the corners. I have always hankered after an Alfa but have never been brave enough to get one before, so I hope that the reliability gremlins have been put to bed as I ordered one as soon as I got back to the show room!

Tom Briant-Evans, Devon, January 27th 2009