X

TDI S Line 4dr

• Average MPG 50 mpg

After 18 miserable months with my 320d x drive, 4 months with the A3 - bliss. Could not recommend it highly enough - try one

Neil Cumberland, February 2nd 2015

TDI Sport 4dr S Tronic

• Overall verdict 4/5
  • Running costs 4/5
  • Average MPG 50 mpg

Took delivery of the cheapest model (1.4 petrol) in June 2014 (ordered December 2013 and had it for six weeks now) with only one optional extra; the basic satnav. Purchased at a main dealer at the price recommended in Whatcar. Took the magazine in with me, told them what I was willing to pay, what I wanted in part exchange and would have walked out if they didn't agree - no problems. For an Audi feels like good value for money. It is fantastic to drive, oozes quality and the interior is wonderful. Feels more powerful than I expected and very smooth acceleration. Very comfortable seats. Wife has a back problem so we check carefully. Better than VW and BMW. Reasons for not giving it five stars in no particular order: No rear screen wiper; processor for media system/satnav a little slow; Switching to two-cylinders hardly ever happens however I drive; can't see the benefit; With iphone attached does not seem to save favorites to satnav - will probably be corrected in a software update; Dealer told me three months to delivery, but took six; As it was going to take six months I could afford additional optional extras, however, the order could not be amended. Poor service from Audi in this day and age. I only wanted the upgrade sound system and the adaptive cruise control - hardly radical changes.

Nick Joseph, United Kingdom, July 27th 2014

TFSI 140 S Line 4dr

• Average MPG 38 mpg

I have only had my saloon for a month now and it is the 1.4 manual 6-speed version, which isn't listed in this section. I was very apprehensive about my purchase, because I've always been a Ford man, with my last car being a Mk3 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost, however I am very impressed with my Audi. I chose the saloon firstly because I have no need to carry a washing machine in the back, and I've no kids and secondly because it is unique amongst the A3's as it doesn't share any body panels with the rest of the range, and is, in my opinion, the prettiest one of them all. The engine is impressive with the smoothness and the grunt it has for overtaking and so quiet I have to check the rev counter just to make sure that the engine is still running. All the controls are perfectly weighted and easy to use, especially the gear change. The interior is just gorgeous, well made and of a high quality One thing though is that you have to pay a lot of money to get what was supplied as standard on my own car and the keyless entry only works on the front door handles, not on all four. Aside from that the ride is good, slightly harder than the Focus and, when pushed to the limit, doesn't quite handle as well. But there are so many nice touches to the car, from the hooks in the boot for shopping bags to the boot lid that opens with one press of the remote. Because it is a S-Line I went with the Daytona Grey, it is a lovely colour and really makes the car stand out, thus I would recommend it to anyone.

Chris Catt, March 22nd 2014