TDI 110 SE 5dr

Awful car, sluggish, clunky and heavy use of plastic on the interior. Not worth the price. Would recommend paying a little more and look at the A4. The standard sat nav is terrible and not worth the additional money, you would be better buying a TomTom. This car misses some simple things like automatic headlights and wipers which you can get on other makes of car for less money. You really are paying for the Audi badge and this car isn't worth that extra money.

Martin Eley, Merseyside, March 9th 2015

TDI S Line 4dr

After 18 miserable months with my 320d x drive, 4 months with the A3 - bliss. Could not recommend it highly enough - try one

Neil Cumberland, February 2nd 2015

TFSI Quattro 5dr

Slight edit to the vehicle type - this review is for the S3 8P2 Black Edition (2010 model - 261 bhp (stock)) The build quality is excellent - the interior finish is first class and really is a nice place to be. I went for the two tone leather sport seats, panoramic sunroof, BOSE symphony stereo, comfort pack, interior light pack(why is this not standard?!) and I do rate the cabin as one of the best for this class of car. The ergonomics at the wheel really suit me and long journeys are completed with barely an ache. All the switches are clear and concise and within easy reach. The 6 speed manual 'box in my model is well geared and responsive enough to never be an issue - but in a straight sprint, the autobox will beat the manual and in the future I would go for the S tronic - it's that good! Performance is fantastic, however, and I strongly recommend this to anyone thinking of getting an S3, get the car a Stage 1 remap - trust me on this. It is pound for pound the best bang for your buck and requires no additional hardware. Now sitting about 315 bhp, my older model is just as quick as the latest S3. The 0-60 sprint, with zero wheel spin regardless of the road conditions, is a joy. The ride is great and the car eats up motorway miles and can destroy twisty back roads with equal ease. The steering lacks feel, however, and the whole experience is just a bit too competent to be really exiting. You will get from A to B faster than 90% of other drivers, but they may have more

Neil Mackinnon, November 21st 2014

TFSI 125 SE 5dr

Have had this car for over 3 months and have on the whole been extremely happy with it. It is an extremely well made car, I’ve found the petrol engine to be almost hybrid-quiet at low speeds and the car is easy to use about town but also keen and responsive on country A roads. Feedback from the wheel is just right and the SE suspension is, to be honest, perfect. Unless you want the sportier look, the SE is certainly enough (although did have to add Cruise Control & Parking Sensors). I briefly had access to a BMW 5 Series last year and the cabin is as well designed, comfortable and premium as that which is impressive. Although I had to persuaded by my other half to do so, we went with the auto version and have been incredibly impressed by it, when desired you can pop it into a semi-auto mode but to be honest the β€˜box is so efficient (especially around town) that I very rarely use it. My only criticisms are that the car is oddly laggy sometimes in 2nd gear when accelerating and also I’ve never achieved any better than 48mpg on a mix of town and motorway driving (and I’ve not got a heavy right foot by any means).

DJ Bensen, London, November 1st 2014

DJ Bensen, London, November 1st 2014

TFSI SE 3dr

I have owned this car for just under 2 years now, having ordered the model as soon as it was officially released in July 2012. Overall, I'd say that the car is well designed and handles well on the road, and the engine is just powerful enough and strikes the right balance between power and efficiency (expect around 475 miles on a tank of fuel). Additionally, the cabin is good quality (decent plastics and neat metal touches) and seats and driving position are both comfortable. I opted for a few extras, such as the MMI system and B&O sound system, cruise control and hill-hold - whilst not cheap, if you can stretch to these they will make all the difference. However, my biggest criticism of this car is its reliability. I rely on the car for commuting and business driving, but it's been off the road on around 4 occasions to date aside from servicing and recalls. Around 3 months after I took delivery, the starter motor packed in. Audi replaced this noting that it shouldn't have failed on such a new car. Then, the MMI system broke. Again, another trip to the dealership was required. Now, the start-stop has broken (most likely another starter motor fault as it experiences the same symptoms as before) and there's a fault on the clutch. It's still under warranty so should be covered by Audi but it's extremely frustrating when your car sticks in gear or cuts out and can't be restarted in heavy traffic. In conclusion, this is a well-designed car but mine is unreliable.

Paul Casey, October 15th 2014

TFSI 125 SE 3dr

Paul Casey, October 15th 2014

TDI Sport 4dr S Tronic

Took delivery of the cheapest model (1.4 petrol) in June 2014 (ordered December 2013 and had it for six weeks now) with only one optional extra; the basic satnav. Purchased at a main dealer at the price recommended in Whatcar. Took the magazine in with me, told them what I was willing to pay, what I wanted in part exchange and would have walked out if they didn't agree - no problems. For an Audi feels like good value for money. It is fantastic to drive, oozes quality and the interior is wonderful. Feels more powerful than I expected and very smooth acceleration. Very comfortable seats. Wife has a back problem so we check carefully. Better than VW and BMW. Reasons for not giving it five stars in no particular order: No rear screen wiper; processor for media system/satnav a little slow; Switching to two-cylinders hardly ever happens however I drive; can't see the benefit; With iphone attached does not seem to save favorites to satnav - will probably be corrected in a software update; Dealer told me three months to delivery, but took six; As it was going to take six months I could afford additional optional extras, however, the order could not be amended. Poor service from Audi in this day and age. I only wanted the upgrade sound system and the adaptive cruise control - hardly radical changes.

Nick Joseph, United Kingdom, July 27th 2014

TFSI 140 S Line 4dr

I have only had my saloon for a month now and it is the 1.4 manual 6-speed version, which isn't listed in this section. I was very apprehensive about my purchase, because I've always been a Ford man, with my last car being a Mk3 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost, however I am very impressed with my Audi. I chose the saloon firstly because I have no need to carry a washing machine in the back, and I've no kids and secondly because it is unique amongst the A3's as it doesn't share any body panels with the rest of the range, and is, in my opinion, the prettiest one of them all. The engine is impressive with the smoothness and the grunt it has for overtaking and so quiet I have to check the rev counter just to make sure that the engine is still running. All the controls are perfectly weighted and easy to use, especially the gear change. The interior is just gorgeous, well made and of a high quality One thing though is that you have to pay a lot of money to get what was supplied as standard on my own car and the keyless entry only works on the front door handles, not on all four. Aside from that the ride is good, slightly harder than the Focus and, when pushed to the limit, doesn't quite handle as well. But there are so many nice touches to the car, from the hooks in the boot for shopping bags to the boot lid that opens with one press of the remote. Because it is a S-Line I went with the Daytona Grey, it is a lovely colour and really makes the car stand out, thus I would recommend it to anyone.

Chris Catt, March 22nd 2014

TFSI 150 S Line 4dr S Tronic

Chris Catt, March 22nd 2014

TDI S Line 5dr

Owned this car for 3 months. Good points: build quality, engine efficiency and performance, some of the tech, e.g. tells you where the nearest petrol station is when low on fuel. Daytona looks great. Bad Points: wheel roar - this is serious and detracts from enjoying the car. Mine has standard suspension but on any but the smoothest roads the tyre noise can be quite overpowering. I strongly recommend taking an S-Line model for a proper test drive before buying. Extras worth having in my view: upgraded speaker system if you feel the Bose is not worth the money - helps hide the road noise!, folding wing mirrors - passenger side dips down when you reverse and you can look back when leaving the car to check that it is locked as they will have folded flush, auto lights/wipers - should have specced the Comfort Pack for little extra. The SD satellite Nav system is OK but hardly worth the Β£450! The readout is a bit crude and blocky but it does work. The ride settings (standard) are as waste of time in my view as I just keep it on 'Auto' and can see very little between the other settings. Audi should have put the money elsewhere into the car. Problems to date: the electric fan stays on for several minutes even after the car has been on a short journey but has warmed up. Drivers wiper annoyingly clonks against the screen frame - again can be drowned out by the audio! Overall: I can see why this car has received praise but if I was buying again I would get the Sport with Xenons.

Timothy Pitt, West Sussex, January 2nd 2014

TFSI SE 3dr

Bought this to replace my 2.0 petrol VW Scirocco (uninsurable for my 17 year old son!). Have found it surprisingly nippy for a 1.4 engine, and it zips round corners pretty well. Getting 40 mpg which is good for me (30mpg in the Scirocco!). Stylish interior, excellent manual gearbox, comfortable seating position, very easy to use MMI system and decent sound. Will probably retrofit parking sensors (should be standard on this quality if car). Sat nav is fine, and voice control works OK. No niggles so far. Very pleased with the purchase.

KEITH pollard, November 27th 2013

TFSI 125 SE 3dr

KEITH pollard, November 27th 2013

T FSi S line Special Edition 3dr DSG

Glad to be rid of it after 2 years of false neutrals in the dsg stronic box. New Mechatronic unit fitted, box reprogrammed several times and intermittent false neutral leaving us in mid traffic with no drive on many occasions. Audi tried to fix it but I have spent a lot of time driving an A1 which seemed to have a better dsg tho a rather intrusive B pillar when you have the seat further back , it's quite a contorsion getting in n out. A3 cabriolet was the best solution for us needing a 2 + 1 child set up tho in hindsight should have got a manual golf gti. Paddles gets boring after the novelty wears off, especially when you are not sure what gear you are in. 28mpg not so great and tried constantly to drive around pot holes as the ride could be harsh on 18 inch alloys combined with the hardest seats ever in the coxis region, unbelievably no lumbar adjustment in seats, I think I need a volvo's lovely seats now!

paul long, surrey, October 26th 2013

TDI Quattro Sport 5dr S Tronic

Correction on the model - I have the S-Line version of the 184 Diesel Quattro I've now had the car for 50 days (~2000 miles). My previous car was a the previous A3 diesel Quattro model. My key requirement was a diesel Quattro because of the enhanced road holding and hence safety when you are on the road for long periods with sensible running costs. The new model has lots of toys which ease the journeys. The sat nav is good but lacks some useful information such as speed cameras as is often the case with built in SatNav. The standard phone kit is probably all that you need except for the grip of having to pay an additional Β£25 for an iPhone 5 connector. The music system with DAB radio is pretty good although some classical pieces sound a little 'tinny'. It is very comfortable for the driver and there is plenty of room in the back for growing teenage boys. I would not have chosen the s-tronic gear box but that's all that's available, that said it has few of the draw backs of standard automatics and the 184 engine is very responsive whenever anything is asked of it, so I'm not sure why anyone would buy the 1.8 petrol... The computer tells me that it will average about 50mpg on long trips and overall about 43mpg, about 1mpg less than the outgoing model. Boot space is compromised a little by the spare wheel (unlike the old model) but this can be lifted out and replaced by an emergency tin making the boot space reasonable. In short, I'm very pleased with it!

Andy McGowan, October 22nd 2013

TDI Quattro S Line 5dr S Tronic

Andy McGowan, October 22nd 2013

TFSI 125 SE 5dr

A3 Sportback 1.4 TSi Auto 9000 mile update - still liking driving the car but could do with more internal storage space. Oil change indictor tells me it's for a service visit. This tells me that the car isn't thrashed or drive only around town, in fact, it's a good mix of urban, rural & motorway, So, can someone tells me that it only gives 46mpg? Very poor!

Kevan Hughes, September 27th 2013

Kevan Hughes, September 27th 2013

TFSI 125 SE 5dr

Having driven Mercedes for the last 7 years, my last one being the C Class Coupe CDI 220, I was apprehensive to say the least when my A3 Sportback 2.0 CDI arrived. However, after getting use to all the controls and settings I am thoroughly satisfied I made the right choice. The car is so much quieter at all speeds than my previous car. The Sat Nav is easier to follow while driving and the economy, even though the car is not yet run in is great. The sports seats are very supportive, and the contols on the steering wheel are well laid out. The auto gear box has 4 different settings and is a pleasure to drive with.

Phil Risbridger, West Midlands, September 16th 2013