BiTDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

Had mine for about 4 months and it's the best all-round car I've ever owned. BiTDi engine is unbelievably quick, returned just under 50MPG average on a 300 mile motorway trip recently and you can tackle snow, ice and rough tracks with the allroad mode and some suitable winter tyres. Put it in dynamic mode and it goes, sounds and almost handles like a sports car. Swallows luggage and passengers tell me it's very comfortable on a long trip. Tech features are great with an in-car Wi-Fi hot spot, Google Earth and mobile broadband on top of the usual gizmos. Cons? Well it's a bit expensive and personally I find the driver's seat a little bit firm but for once the hype is justified..all the car you're ever likely to need. Essential extras? The panoramic sunroof. Not exactly the season to enjoy the sun much yet but it makes the interior very light and airy any time of year.

Andrew Hood, West Yorkshire, January 22nd 2013

TDI Quattro 245 5dr S Tronic

Had my 3litre turbodiesel Allroad since March 2010 and it's probably the best all-round car I've had. Plenty of power when you need it, cruises down motorways effortlessly, can get everything I want in the boot and fuel economy is execellent (45mpg on long drives). With winter tyres, I can go practically everywhere I want even in the worst of Scottish weather. Only complaint is lack of 'cubby-hole' space up front.

Neil MacGillivray, December 21st 2012

TDI Quattro 5dr

I have owned this car for a year now and it is still fabulous to drive.The air suspension makes driving a pleasure,after playing around with the settings at first,i now leave it on automatic.While driving the cabin is very quiet with no engine or road noise.Cabin quality is excellent and the kids like the feel of the alcantara seats...not too cold in winter mornings. The boot is huge and is great for trips away,sports and taking boxes to the recycling centre! Parking sensors are a must and the electric tailgate is surprisingly useful.The car is perfect for towing with the torquey 3 litre engine and sometimes you can forget you have a trailer on behind! The one downside is running costs...servicing is not cheap and the tyres are not stocked and have to be ordered in. fuel economy is not too bad for a car of this size averaging around 38mpg. Overall,having always owned A4 avants with the odd BMW in between this is the best car i have ever had.The perfect match for an active family.

michael hill, armagh, January 29th 2009

TDI Quattro 5dr

We have owned this car for 2 years and have used it for multiple European Holidays and long journeys around the UK. Overall we have been delighted with it and would thoroughly recommend it. Some tips: Do not bother with Audi Dealers - Β£1,250 quoted for a Cambelt change Β£730 paid at a local independent garage. Use your local garage as they will have the same diagnostics as Audi. Make sure the Air Suspension raises and lowers as it should do at speed as this is an expensive job if it goes wrong @Β£2k. Shop around online for tyres as there are major savings to be had. All are fitted with a superb removable towbar hidden in the spare wheel compartment - very impressive pice of engineering. * Tricky to get three car seats across the back All in all the car feels great to drive, very secure with kids and we are sorry to have to sell it.

Guy Cookes, October 31st 2008

T Quattro 5dr

I bought the car from a dealer who didn't want to sell it to me. It has high mileage - 140,000 km, petrol, six years old. He said that these sort of cars go for export too places in eastern europe. I took it for a test drive and bought it anyway for 13,000 squid. After one year of ownership I have renewed the brakes/ rear fog light bulb ( 75 euros !!! to fit a bulb that cost 6 euros ). New suspension compressor and valves came in at 1,500 euros last month. I have owned a Range Rover from new - OK, a Volvo XC70 that cost 30,000 squid - rubbish. This car knocks spots off all of them, just wish I had bought Audi 10 years ago. Stuff the running costs, I take mine on the speed limit free autobahns and within ten minutes I forget about the cost.

Alan Cooper, August 30th 2008

TDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

I have had a 2.7Tdi allroad for 15 months and 44000 miles. Occasonally the engine has made a few grumbling noises 10 minutes after starting. Possibly fuelling issues but not repeatable enough to be able to pinpoint to the service dapartment. The on board telecomms equipment fell over once and needed to be sorted by the dealer (fixed for free just outside warranty). The car is very comfortable, but the engine is not as refined as a V6 should be and the 2.7Tdi is outpaced by several 2.0Tdi Fords and Vauxhalls (but perhaps they were chipped), however the internal finish is excellent and the equipment works well with the MMI becoming totally logical after a couple of days driving. The car is not cheap to run, probably because of the servicing rates claimed by the service dapartment at Harold Wood Audi and the tyre usage (20k per set of 4) but against this the consumption can average in the high 30's if you have a reasonably light foot. And dont buy one unless you get a 10% discount. It will flatter your driving round roundabouts, so get one.

Simon Gunn, Kent, July 11th 2008

TDI Quattro 5dr

customer service is very poor maintenance costs are very high and they try to add to your bill anyway they can while not properly doing he basic job. great car - very poor customer service

emmanuel niogret, April 19th 2008

TDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

After returning a troublesome A4 Avant, with Audi giving me a full refund I was back to square one in my quest for a new car. I decided to take a step up to an A6 and liked the idea of a really good all round vehicle. So went for an A6 Allroad. I have to say this is the best car I have ever owned and driven. Its a joy to drive in all circumstances. Its quiet, smooth, has enough oomph for any situation and is just really comfortable for any length of journey. One of the outstanding things for me is the air suspension, the settings take a while to get used to but I find it best just left on automatic. I have a 70 mile daily commute, mainly motorway and fast A's. It also goes without saying that this is also up to the usual standard of Audi interior, everything fits well, it has a very practical layout with no squeeks or rattles. I managed to snap up a brilliant deal on a 2 month old 2k miles demo from my local dealer. As well as saving quite a bit on list price, as is often the case with demos it has a very high spec. This has Full leather Luxury pack, Sports seats, Comms pack, Visability Pack, Privacy glass, Auto tailgate The only 'must haves' to me amongst all of this are the leather sports seats, comms pack and vis pack. Overall for me ....... the perfect car

mark stevens, Middlesex, December 14th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

My ex-car was a '97 E39 528i Auto. This is my first Audi and after a lot of thinking to change brand I must admit that I did very well indeed! After 1200 miles and ten days of ownership the car drives and feel great. The engine is brilliant (my first diesel) and feels as smooth as BMW's straight six even though it's a diesel. Torque is unbelievable: you can just overtake everything with no hassle and bear in mind the extra weight (nearly 2 tonnes). The suspension is brilliant as well: I like the "Lift" setting.

Tony Anthony, July 17th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

My previous car was a Volvo XC90. After a while I found this dull as dish-water to drive, but I do need something that can take me into farms, down dirt tracks whatever the weather and still be fun to drive. Once I had test driven the Allroad I was smitten. I have now had the car for six months and covered 9000 miles. As well as being fun with the 3.0 TDI it is comfortable and relaxing to drive. If you want to charge along or need to tip-toe along farm tracks it can do both and much more. The down side is that it does go through tyres very quickly. My tip is to keep up tyre pressure and when driving on normal roads set the suspension on 'Comfort'.

Steve Sycamore, June 19th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

The cabin build quality is excellent, and the running costs are bearable - just find a specialist for servicing, and don't pay the absolutely ridiculous Audi Dealership prices. However, after about 85,000 miles, there were vibrations from the engine through the transmission tunnel whilst on holiday in Austria. The dealership diagnosed that all four camshafts were faulty and had to be replaced at a cost of Β£2000 GBP. Audi offered no refund - that is neither premium quality engineering nor service. Otherwise, it's a very reliable car and is to be recommended. The engine trouble seems to be no isolated case, though, looking through comments on various internet forums, and it seems Audi knows about this problem (the dealership which carried out the repairs said that the material the camshafts were made from must have been inferior.).

Andreas Wilfling, Surrey, April 11th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

This is a great family car. I traded down from a 2004 Range Rover Vogue to a 2001 Audi Allroad TDI, and I have never looked back. It has loads of room for the family, feels like it is indestructible, cruises like a dream on the motorway, has enough go if you need it, has all the trimmings and gadgets, has more than enough off-road powers for most people's uses and still has more height than most estates for getting young kids in and out of the back. There are three major advantages over the Range Rover and the Land Rover Discovery I had before that: First, it doesn't need a second mortgage to run. It returns 30mpg and goes into the garage once a year instead of once a month for a Land Rover. Second, depreciation doesn't cripple you. It seems that other people know the secrets of this car, too. Third, and most importantly, people don't think that you are a eco-criminal for driving one - you get a lot of the benefits of a 4x4 (higher driving position, feeling bullet-proof) without all the aggro looks and attitude that you get from cyclists and hippies when you drive an old-school 4x4.

Gavin Thompson, March 29th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

I have had my car for 4 years and it is fantastic. The tiptronic gearbox is the best I have tried and great as it is both manual/auto and sports!!! The V6 certainly has an ooomph about it and this car shifts when it needs to. The interior is of superior quality, the dash is easy to read and looks neat, the space inside is great - I can even fit in 3 child car seats in the back. On the whole this car is a class above any others I have seen and the build quality and design is second to none.

l david, March 9th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

WHAT A CAR !! It is a fantastic car to drive, very refined interior. My wife loves its confort, I love the powerful engine. The tiptronic gearbox gives you 5 modes, eco, normal, power, sport and manual!! autolevelling suspensions are a delight, high position does tackle offroad and low position gives you the security of sticking to the road at high speeds. We have the bose sound system, leather heated seats and wooden trim (even on the steering wheel). It feels fantastic and looks the part! On top of that it is an offroader without the 4x4 bulky look. The 2.5 TDi V6 is both quiet and efficient! Audi quality for a second hand car. Recommended

Adrien LANDREAU, London, March 9th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

Quality! Fantastic car to drive, luxury feel and with the tiptronic it can go like the wind.Tiptronic gearbox is so well defined you barely feel it changing gear and with the sports gear you can really feel the V6 kicking in.Trim is pure quality and there is lots of room in the boot. I have walnut dash,wheel and gearstick and it is very classy.Best car I have ever owned and most now hardly come close to the same standard.

l david, March 8th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr

Having owned and driven a BMW M5 and a Mercedes SL over the last few years, a new family addition forced my hand toward a wagon. I tried the 535d touring, 320cdi estate and the Allroad. The BMW's cabin and iDrive was stark and sterile and a test drive revealed a return of 25mpg (kinda defeats the point), the Merc was capable, if soggy, but looked too much like a Munich taxi. The Allroad's proportions, cabin quality (MMi is superb and intuitive) and strength of the 3.0 TDi was very impressive although the default gearbox setting can be ponderous - better to tip-shift if in a hurry. Only downside is the vague steering which is way over-assisted with a lack of feedback resulting in difficult placement in corners. Damping from the air suspension is excellent and mine (ex-demo) can kitted with every conceivable extra (the heated steering wheel is a must!). Economy runs at around 32mpg which is mostly around muddy country tracks and awkward little villages. Overall, the attention to detail, construction and total ease of use makes me happy with my choice. My Audi dealership let me have the car for the weekend (their suggestion) and this is probably what tipped the balance (opposed to a 20min standard accompanied spin in the BM and Merc) as I could try it with baby stuff, bikes in the back, etc. Good trade-in against my SL as well

stephen edwards, January 15th 2007

TDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

This is actually a review on my x reg 2.5 TDi. I have covered 70,000 miles in it and am now looking for a suitable replacement. Despite what the journalists say, for anyone who drives normally, the allroad is comfortable, refined and practical. Power is adequate with plenty of tourque so best to let that do the work. Fuel economy averages 30 mpg in real world driving conditions. Build quality is very good with no squeaks, worn interior or bits dropping off. The car cleans and polishes up like new. The car has been reliable and has never left me stranded. The only faults have been electrical gremlins in the central locking system which caused the windows to open when the car was locked and unattended. Very expensive to rectify. Tyre wear on the allroad tyres is poor and you will struggle to better 14000 miles per set. I switched to Michelin Syncrone and easily get 20000 miles. Dealer repair and servicing costs are mind numbing (high), that said service intervals fall at around 15000 miles. All in all I have been very happy with the car, it has a much better image than the big 4x4's and does anything they can do in the reality of driving in this country. It also does not invoke the hostility often shown towards BMW's and Merc's by other road users. I'm looking around but suspect that the new 3.0 TDi Allroad will be my next choice.

John Nielsen, Lincs, January 1st 2007

T Quattro 5dr

I drive a much-maligned, but very versatile, second-hand, five-year-old 2.7T petrol (I have the benefit of a fuel card which helps), having driven a Subaru legacy turbo many years ago and switched recently from a Renault Laguna diesel. The family love it, as it is quiet, quite pokey (when required, for overtaking and so on), really comfortable on long trips and feels like it has been built to last a lifetime - unlike the Renault. Performance is quick and traction is assured - its softer suspension is great at smoothing out speed bumps and mini-roundabouts without feeling you're driving around in a lorry. Cruise control is fantastic on even short journeys - I would also recommend finding a model with four heated seats.

Sean Snow, Berkshire, December 27th 2006

TDI Quattro 5dr Tip Auto

Plusses: Good solid family/recreational car. Plenty of space for passengers and gear. Two extra removable seats in the boot (optional) allows 5 adults and 2 kids to travel in comfort. TDI engine very smooth with plenty of pace and pull. Excellent mile eater and every easy to drive around town and park for something so big. Individual looks without having to resort to an ugly SUV. Negatives: Allroad specific tyres seem to only last 10,000-13,000 miles. Audi ownership experience let down by local dealership (Epsom Audi). Several bad experiences with Epsom Audi (i.e. wasted time because of messed up/cancelled bookings; and car coming back with items inoperable or broken which they then refuse to accept liability for).

Michael Wong, November 25th 2006

TDI Quattro 5dr

I looked at an Allroad several years ago but went for Land Rover product instead. After Audi discounted this model and added fully loaded LE version in 2004 (minus lots of the satin grey parts) we bought one for my wife. After several months of being impressed with overall Allroad quality and Audi dealership experience, I have now ordered a second Allroad for myself for long haul commuting replacing a very good but harsh riding BMW 3-series Sport model.

paul leggett, Lincs, October 18th 2004