W12 2dr Auto

I moved from a Porsche 911 (996) Turbo to this car with some concerns but do not miss the Porsche at all (it is a second car). German technology and reliability matched with true English hand made craftmanship.... Emmense capability and you have the ability to easily change the cars set up to suit your mood - unlike the M5 with it's complicated settings.. As per the various write ups this car is actually worth more than the list price.... I've had a lot of prestigious and performance cars but nothing has the presence or respect of this car - people will openly look and talk about the car. Performance is effortless and equipment spec is second to none - what more do you need ???? Need to factor in the size of the car (will it fit in the garage..) and more frequent visits to the pumps... Build quality is impeaccable and it is a very well thought out car. Can you say that about any of it's direct compeitors ? Aston Martin - lovely sound but what an awful interior - and they are slower...

Eifion Evans, Lincs, March 31st 2008

W12 2dr Auto

This is my second Continental GT and I do find the refinements over the earlier model wothwhile. In the last five years we have had two new Aston Martins (a DB7 and a Vantage), a new Range Rover with Overfinch modifications, a Jaguar XJ220S, several Mercedes and Jaguars, and acess to a selection of BMWs and Porsches. The GT is the only car that has blended huge performance with true refinement - all the others are, frankly, quite crude. Ride quality can be set close to Phantom standards (for which I have the greatest respect) or dialled up to be as harsh as most sports cars - although goodness knows why you would want that on our rubbishy road surfaces. Performance is mega and with permanent four-wheel drive, you can always put power down on the road without boy-racer wheel spin. It is superb in wet or damp conditions (which seems to be most days in the UK!). Quality is exemplary. The leather and wood trims are only bettered by Rolls Royce and bear no resemblance to the plastic drones found in German and Japanese boxes. The cabin ambience is splendid. Reliability on both cars has been excellent. We are still waiting for our first fault! Costs are clearly not going to be cheap so, if you cannot afford it, don't buy it. Having said that, try the XJ220 - now that costs a lot to run! Sadly with the sick envy culture in Britain, the car cannot be safely parked without some forethought. So, what will I buy next to replace the GT?

Cliff Hannam, November 13th 2007

W12 2dr Auto

I have found the GT to be an excellent drive, fantastically well-equipped and Bentley dealers extremely helpful. II have previously owned several Mercs incl. an S500 and, most recently, an Audi A8 which I loved and the GT is for me a far superior drive. Sure it's expensive to run but noone who buys this car following even minimal research will fail to be aware of this fact. As for servicing costs, they are, thanks to the VW/Audi underpinnings, surprisingly reasonable for a car of this class; it is, after all, not the Β£500 bangers which the previous reviewer appears to favour.

Greg Bracken, Herts, June 30th 2007

W12 2dr Auto

The Bentley Continental GT is the worst built car I have ever driven, with faults appearing literally on a day-to-day basis. Everything breaks, rattles, leaks and it is generally built to a very poor standard. The dealers are useless and take weeks to do anything and I have only owned the car for two months. Servicing costs are absolutely extortionate along with parts prices and some of the faults are simply ridiculous. I have owned Β£500 bangers that have been more reliable... Buy something else.

James Turner, North Yorkshire, June 2nd 2007

W12 2dr Auto

I bought the car in the Bentley dealership in Manchester. The car had one previous owner and covered 22,000 miles. The car is flawless - it may not be as handsome, as cheap or as good to drive as an Aston Martin DB9, but it comes down to brand value and knowing that you are in a car which can reach 198mph along with having a Bentley badge glued to the bonnet. Many complain that the car uses much of the switchgear found in both the Volkswagen Phaeton and Audi A8, however I feel that the quality of the fittings in these two cars is better than the tat stuffed into Aston Martins - Ford Fiesta fittings in a car with such a price tag is not acceptable. I would much rather have VW switchgear than fittings found in one of Ford's part bins, or the Fiat-like fittings found in Ferraris. The only drawback I can find with the car is that the cabin is not that spacious, and the car has become a bit 'footballer wife's' car all of a sudden. Anyone buying a car in this price region should definitely go out and test-drive one, and if anyone is seriously thinking about buying one, make it a used one! I saved myself Β£35,000 by buying one two years old.

Trantali Yasher, London, March 11th 2006

W12 2dr Auto

My first impression on sitting in the car in the showroom was of a sensation of supreme quality. At that time, I was still considering a Porsche Carerra 4S. Having driven the Porsche and the Bentley, there is no contest - the Bentley wins hands down. When I took the driving position for my first test drive in the Bentley, I was totally bowled over by the sheer visceral power of this motor. True, it did not have the 'bad boy' eagerness of the Porsche, but it gave me a feeling of enormous power. I remember feeling a sense of sheer excitement that I have never felt for any car before. With the Bentley, I knew before I had driven 20 yards I was going to buy the car. I tried to resist buying this car. I went away and decided the Porsche was better value for money and offered all the power I would ever need. However, my daughter verbalised what I was feeling. If I bought the Porsche (or anything else), within weeks I would be forever regretting my decision. So I allowed my heart to rule my brain. Do I regret it? Not for one moment. True, I must have a second car for those supermarket visits, but so what? I get to enjoy the Bentley even more after that. I cannot for the life of me imagine any other car giving me this feeling of occasion. I could have bought the Ferrari 430 or the Aston Martin DB9, but neither gave me that feeling of exclusiveness and buzz. I believe this to be one of the truly great cars of our age. It is one to keep.

Richard Lord, December 6th 2005

W12 2dr Auto

This car is great, but with the cheaper (and somehow better) Aston Martin DB9, it's not worth the extra Β£12,000.

fahad redha, September 25th 2005

W12 2dr Auto

Can't wait for the Flying Spur.

Bob Shipper, cheshire, May 15th 2005

W12 2dr Auto

Hi What Car? gang. My main concern and disappointment with this car is the apparent lack of quality-control checks that were carried out before the car left the factory. There were a large number of faults and imperfections with the car, for which I felt I had no alternative but to get the RAC involved. After an inspection of their own, they found a number of unacceptable points, which were then presented to the supplying dealer with a request to replace the car with a new one. In my opinion, the car was built in a hurry and left the factory in a poorly finished state. The dealer attempted to make it right after a visit from Bentley, but it still was far from perfect. I believe the dealer is also to blame for missing a lot of faults on the car during pre-delivery inspections. I am now selling the car to a different dealership (down south).

Ivan Scott, Lancashire, March 31st 2005