Auto

I think this is an amazing car. It's my second electric car (after a Mitsubishi iMiev), and it's just generations ahead: an iPhone 6 compared to an old Nokia. It's quick, handles well, and is good looking. I made sure to add most of the extras, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, and I find it handles my 42 miles (each way) commute with aplomb. The range extender is absolutely essential. I repeat: do not buy this car or any other without a range extender. To rely on the public charging network is to submit yourself to stress and disappointment. Battery technology simply hasn't developed fast enough and the extra cost of the range extender is a cheap way of eliminating range anxiety. I am also lucky to have a BMW charging point at home and the office, which is also worth the expense. BMW have done a fine job with this car. The materials, design and build quality set it apart as something truly different. It doesn't feel cheap, and it doesn't feel like a compromise over a 'normal' car. It's true it is expensive to buy: with all the extras, mine came in just short of £36,000. But it costs peanuts to run and I expect the lifetime cost to me will not be massively heavier than a normal car. I'm averaging about 3.6 miles per kilowatt hour without trying too hard. Purely on a cost basis that's equivalent to 200 mpg. Not sure where they get the official figure of 470mpg because that sounds implausible to me.

Toby Aldrich, March 31st 2015