ive30d M Sport 5dr Auto

Had my 3.0 M Sport for 12 months and have found the car to be as good as I wished for. Cabin is clearly laid out and space in the back is huge, only small gripe is the fact that for such an expensive car the electric folding mirrors are an extra.

naveen lakhanpal, east dunbartonshire, February 26th 2015

ive30d M Sport 5dr Auto

Just taken delivery of a 64 plate xdrive30d msport. Not sure what all the fuss is about re the interior. I think its fine and dash layout very good. My kids love the rear seats but seats in boot a bit lacking in legroom. The car is great to drive with solid smooth feel on the road, great acceleration and little cabin noise. It comes with many knobs a whistles, as you would expect, and the voice activated system (for any feature - phone, radio, sat nav etc.) is fantastic with hardly any mistaken commands. All-in-all I love it and am disappointed when a given journey is over.

matthew ward, berks, October 28th 2014

ive40d M Sport 5dr Auto

I bought this car ahead of the winter and as a replacement for my 3.0d XF Premium Luxury 2 months ago. Having covered 3,500 miles the ride quality has been very impressive although trying to keep the rear clean has been a nightmare; valet company suggested the only solution was to park it up until April. Added a few bells and whistles such as the head up display which has been incredibly useful, soft close doors, powered boot, rear entertainment dvd players and panoramic sunroof etc. Most of my journeys are on country roads and I am managing just over 30 mpg which isn't bad for a 2 tonne car. It will be interesting to see how this thing stops in the winter. Wished I had added the running board option since my wife struggles to climb in and out without dragging trousers or dress on the sill which is dirty almost 100% of the time. Strangley cannot find anyway to lock the car and fold the mirrors except by manually pushing the mirror button and then locking the car. I also miss the XF's heated front screen which BMW claim Ford won't licence to them. Not sure how my wife's Cooper S has this function since Mini are owned by BMW. Everything appears bolted together well, and running costs are pretty good. For Β£475 I added the 5 year or 50k mile service pack. I managed to get one of the remaining outgoing models with a list price of Β£63,996 for Β£47,000 which was excellent value considering a couldn't get anything of the new model. Time will tell if I made the correct choice.

Andrew French, Essex, December 17th 2013

ive30d M Sport 5dr Auto

I bought an F15 Msport 3.0d with 7 seats, active safety and drive assist plus, after test driving both an msport and an SE. The car is a massive improvement on the outgoing model, more refined and soaks up potholes in comfort mode. Highly recommend it. Hopefully reliability will be as good as my F11.

Paul Clemence, December 6th 2013

ive40d M Sport 5dr Auto

Please note , this is my personal comments. I think this 2013 m sport model is the best looking suv in market at the moment ( even the next generation x5 does not come close to it in looks) . Quite good to to drive . There is some engine and wind noise but I feel it compensates for the performance and acceleration, which leaves its rivals far behind in competition. I can get this 2 tonne, 7 seater to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds , while protecting the occupants and being safe at the same time. I have not had any major issues apart from minor electrical tweaks which could be easily corrected by BMW garage. Can get a bit more than 30 mpg on normal driving.

Prem Mathiazhagan, teesside, June 1st 2013

si SE 5dr Auto

I find the Whatcar review rather biased. Statements like "It'll be like money in the bank" regarding cost and "Plenty provided; lots more available" regarding specification are frankly ridiculous. My car depreciated to 45% of its purchase price in two years and the equipment was incredibly sparse on the SE model. The cost of servicing and repairs was ludicrous: Β£700 to replace a wing mirror and service costs of Β£500+. A great drive but you'll need patience and deep pockets as it soaks up your hard earned money. I replaced mine with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and am quite happy that I did.

Don Harrold, February 12th 2013

ive30d SE 5dr Auto

Had my new X5 for a week and its awesome. Always been a BMW fan and before this I had 525i and 520d but needed something bigger with growing family etc - the X5 is in a different league. It drives like a hot hatch - loads of feel, taught handling, 8 speed 'box is as smooth as it gets. It also looks the business, less Cheshire than RR Sport or Q7. Economy not bad - 35mpg so far on mixed driving. Totally lux interior too, not sure anyone does better interiors than BMW at the moment. Best option I went for was Individual stereo upgrade... WOW!

J Phillips-Powell, October 7th 2011

J Phillips-Powell, October 7th 2011

ive30d SE 5dr Auto

Have been driving my new xdrive30d se for 6 weeks and to date am more than happy with this updated model. The mpg is 36.2 arround town (as per brochure),which is a result as previous figures have never lived up to manufacturers hype. My car is the basic model..black with cinnamon brown leather interior,looks great. The wheels are basic 18inch,a softer ride.The car looks a bit conservative but did not want the msport as they look a bit blackpool and blingy with fancy wheels. The x5 has an 8 speed auto gearbox and am told it helps with mpg. My previous bmw was a x6 which was thirsty and ugly. I have taken out bmw insurance as they do not require tracker....a great saving. Overall, very pleased to date.

andy garrick, norfolk, May 12th 2011

andy garrick, norfolk, May 12th 2011

ive40d M Sport 5dr Auto

This is an excellent car only let down by some cheap plastics inside, in particular the blanking plate in the rear air con unit. The X5 handles like a car, astonishing really given its size and the 4.0d is very quick. Despite being high up you do feel like you are driving a sports car. I cannot get anywhere near the claimed 37.7 mpg and am now at about 30 mpg! I have the 20 inch wheels and the M sport model. The ride is firm but not uncomfortable. I did test drive a RR Sport but found it too slow and a spongy ride. The Lexus RX450h was pretty good but is basically front wheel drive and felt like it. The professional sat nav and idrive are easy to use and intuitive.

Andrew Lines, Dorset, March 8th 2011

d Sport 5dr

Bought car when 18 months old in Jan 2006. My second one but I was surprised by the difference between this one and my previous 184hp Diesel 5 speed 03 model. This was a better drive and I thought more responsive. Thats when the fun started, within 3 months it was back in the dealers for its first of many faults ranging from computer faults, parking sensor failures (6 times), noisy hatch (3 times), broken and squeeking armrest (2 times), airbag light on (4 times), oil pressure sensor, bad gear change and severe lurch when dropping into first when coming to a stop. Last July car was loaded and I was setting off for family holiday to Spain in the car. 2 miles from house Turbo failed which led to holiday cancelled and Β£2500 bill (out of warranty by 3 months)BMW wanted Β£1400 per year to maintain warranty so thought car has only got 48000 on clock so "brand new" how wrong can you be!!!!! This is my 11th BMW in 8 years,so NEVER AGAIN! they have been getting more and more unreliable over these last 5 years so will definately not be getting another and the dealers have been getting more and more un-helpful and certainly too expensive. I am very disappointed with BMW so next up will be a Toureg or Q7.

Philip Thompson, Lancashire, February 10th 2009

d Sport 5dr

I have just read on your site of similar problems that we face with our Sept. 07 X5 3.0D Sports. I am contiually losing all data from both the journey and normal computer , along with the time and date. I have had it back to our dealer many times and now have put pressure on them to do something about it. Just as with your previous comments they blame our life style as we do not make enough long journeys which means the battery goes down and at that stage removes "trivial" data etc!! Not good enough for a Β£50k car I say. Also the expense of adding the 3rd row of cars was totally unwarranted as the kids have no view out and quickly get bored. I think BMW must realise this as they did send a survey around quite recently asking our opinion of the seats. We are really disappointed as our similar September '03 model gave us perfect service!

John Hume, Shropshire, January 12th 2009

sd M Sport 5dr Auto

What a car. Having traded up from a 5-series, I have been delighted by my first month with the X5. Handsome in the M-Sport guise (I opted for silver), the SD engine gives it some real shove without damaging fuel eceonomy too much. I would agree with other comments here that 27-28mpg is about average and that this can rise up into the 30's if you are careful with your right foot on long journeys - but frankly, why deprive yourself of driving pleasure. If you can't afford the car, buy something else. I would definitely recommend the comfort seats as an option, they are tremendously comfortable, allowing you to achieve a perfect driving position. the Panoramic roof is also a great addition. Beats the pants off the discovery - and just about anything else. Highly recommend this vehicle and the dealer (JCT600 in Bradford) who bent over backwards to deliver a great deal.

Chris George, Clackmannanshire, January 12th 2009

d M Sport 5dr Auto

Owned for 3 months/4000 miles, replacing a (trouble free!) Disco 3. Chose BMW over new Disco/RR Sport hoping for better fuel consumption & improvement on Discos 'boat like' steering & handling on motorways. The latter is way better in the BMW, though chose the optional Adaptive Drive (expensive, but recommended) after experiencing fidgety ride on standard test X5. Fuel consumption is a disappointment though, averaging only 27mpg (way short of the 34mpg BMW claim), a tad better than the Disco (26mpg). However, unlike the Disco, the X5 consumption is highly dependent on how you drive & whether it is low speed or cruising - returned over 40mpg on cruising A roads at 50 to 70mph. Some minor negatives include puncture in rear run flat after a week which took 5 days to source a replacement at Β£350, protruding sills mean you plaster your legs with dirt on exiting car & paint on front edge of body coloured rear wheel arches is being 'sand blasted' by muck kicked off front wheels and no mud flap option for M Sport body kit. Positives – ride, handling, engine refinement, performance & smooth auto shifting, well built & comfortable cabin (rear seats much better than Disco), useful lockable under floor compartment if 3rd row seats not specified and as good as the Disco at towing a horsebox (includes trailer stability system). Overall, very pleased, despite my economic justification of better fuel consumption offsetting higher vehicle cost not being true in reality.

Andrew Hill, January 1st 2009

d Sport 5dr

Hi, i have a 2008 3.0d M sport, my wife uses the car to travel to work and back which equates to approx 8 mile round trip, the past couple of months we have had bmw assist out to the car because of battery issues and the last time out he had to replace the battery, he also said that this was totally the wrong car for our lifestyle because we werent doing enough miles to re-charge the battery, anyone else out there with the same problem?, would really appreciate any other comments.

christopher stringer, yorkshire, December 2nd 2008

i V8 Sport Exclusive Edition 5dr Auto

I owned a second hand 4.4i from 2002. I bought it in March 2006 with 52,000 Kilometers on the clock for 33,000 Euros. After 100 kilometers (!) the engine broke! It took 2 months to BMW in Bordeaux to acknowledge the engine was faulty and then another month to get the car repaired. BMW finally took 90 % of the bill (18,000 Euros !) . I then experienced gearbox problems, a permanent huge fuel consumption (no chance to be under 15 litres per 100 Km even with a very soft way of driving), and disappointing overall performances (beaten in acceleration by standard diesel cars). I wanted to sell the car but not a single BMW dealer offered to take it for a decent price. They said: "the fact that the engine has been changed is bad publicity"... I finally sold it in March 2007 in Germany for 24,000 Euros and it has been directly sold again to a guy in ...Ukraine. Pathetic.

Lionel Feyte, September 21st 2008

d Sport 5dr

I baught my X5 3.0D Sport as i liked the look of it and as i owned BMW before expected quality for long mielage,My car is an 03 model i baught it with 34000 mls 2years ago and now its still only done 41000mls and the automatic transmission has gone with no warning just went into failsafe mode and stayed stuck in 1st gear,now i have to bring it in to BMW for diagnostic checks and try and fight for them to pay for replacement. I didnt expect after paying 27000 pound for a car to be having a broken gearbox after me just doing about 8000miles and especially with a BMW, I have a Citroen with 120000mls and had no problem what so ever with it. WHEN ITS FIXED ITS GETTING SOLD.......NEVER AGAIN...... BMW X5 STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!

Anthony Cooney, Middlesex, September 12th 2008

d SE 5dr Auto

Replaced a Discovery 3 with the X5 and so far have had 6 months of trouble free motoring - constantly average at least 28mpg and can hit 32 on a long run. Best car I've ever owned - mine was bought second hand having previously been a BMW UK car - it was loaded with extras and I saved a fortune. Doesnt have sports suspension but does have adaptive drive and this coupled with the comfort seats, smaller alloys and all season tyres makes it really comfortable. Its great on the narrow twisty roads in the Highlands. Agree it doesnt look quite as good as those with the big 20" alloys - can't have it all. Was unfortunately hit up the rear last week by a Fiesta - I'll need a new lower bumper panel - Fiesta is probably heading for the scrap yard! BMW accident assist have been brilliant as well.

Stewart Meikle, Inverness-shire, August 16th 2008

iS V8 5dr Auto

I bought this car 3 years ago and love the comfort and quality it gives me. The power of the 4.6 litre V8 is fantastic. On the motorway i get around 21 mpg and around town 14 mpg which is not too bad for such a large executive vehicle. Two 20" rear tyres cost me Β£500! Apart from the tyres the other routine servicing including engine, brakes etc is no more expensive than any other large family saloon. TV and sat nav are very good although i,m suprised the sat nav does not have the search via postcode option!!!! The X5 is not a serious offroader we all know that but it has got me out of a few tightspots on light offroad use and i was suprised just how good it was. Comfort,Power,Style, what more can you ask for..... I love it.

simon kerpner, August 10th 2008