BMW Z4 Coupe Owner reviews

sDrive M Sport 2dr

In white, with 19" rims and stupidly fat tyres. The wheels look the part, but I suspect it destroys the ride quality. As sure-footed as you can wish, but little steering feel, and not much fun at lower speeds. Next time I will shun looks for somewhat better driving - maybe 18" wheels will be a good compromise. Having owned a Z3 years ago, I welcomed the step change in quality and rigidity. Folding hard top is great for the UK, except when you try and access the luggage compartment (or whats left of it). Cabin really nice, but it really asks for roof down motoring. The car is arguably noisier with the roof up - I've come to quite like the burbly sound of the 4 cylinder turbo with the roof down. The car has enough power, but next time I would probably opt for 28i or even 35i. The 20i just doesn't have power, and this is felt especially when trying to overtake from low revs. Turbo lag is still a bit noticeable. All in all, I do like the car. I have also bought the bespoke bicycle carrier for the Z4, and although a bit pricey, its very useful, even for carrying luggage on occasion. Doesn't do the car's looks any good, I have to admit

Hannes Buhrmann, No, October 7th 2014

sDrive M Sport 2dr

I've had this car for 18 months and I still love every minute driving it. It's beautiful to look at a great to drive. First, the negatives. I have 19" wheels with run flat tyres and the ride is hard. Luckily the M Sport suspension was deleted! However, once you get used to it, the ride is smooth on a good road. Just don't go on bumpy ones. The other downside is the running costs. VED is Β£260pa and you'll be lucky to get 320 miles from a tank. However, the positives certain outweigh the negatives. The cabin is comfortable and cosy and the heated seats are wonderful. The 3.0i engine is powerful and smooth with the auto transmission. The noise from the exhaust is fabulous. With the roof up, it's quiet and refined and with roof down, it's a lot of fun. One of the surprising things is the practicality. I've read lots about how small the boot is, particularly with the roof down. However, I drove this car with my wife and all the luggage from Hertfordshire all the way up to Oban, a journey of 480 miles in one day. Not only did the car cruise all the way up the motorway, it then had a blast on the A85 into Oban (a perfect Z4 road!). The best bit, however, was the fact that I got out at the end and I wasn't even tired. Brilliant car!

Stuart Wilcox, Kent, February 20th 2014

i SE 2dr

I've had this car for 6 months and in my opinion it's the worst car I have ever driven and owned. I've owned cars from 4x4 to vans to old classics and this Z4 is by far the worse. The steering is very very vague, at first I thought it was a problem so I had the car safety checked by BMW and also had the tracking and 4 wheel alignment done. When driving on a straight piece of road you are constantly correcting the steering wheel and when you go into a corner you don't know if your going end up in the ditch or on the other side of the road. I did read that there are steering problems with certain Z4's but mine doesn't full into the same years that had the problems. If your thinking of getting a Z4 please do your homework as I have no confidence in driving this car so it just sits on the drive doing nothing.

Lee Heather, Essex, January 19th 2014

sDrive M Sport 2dr

Took delivery of my 2.0 M Sport in April 2012 and have to say been delighted with it upto now. Performance is good if not scintilating, bearing in mind it feels a heavy car so the 2.8 might be a better bet if performance is important. Likes: roomy for a roadster with plenty of headroom and leg space. Bootspace is decent with roof up not so good with roof down. Quality and build is top notch, I have experienced no rattles or creaks unlike some other owners have experienced. MPG is reasonable. Handling is good but not perfect. The supplying dealer has been spot on. One of the best looking roadsters on the road today. Dislikes: Engine whine when cold but subsides once warm, dealer couldn't find any problem. Ride can be a little rough on the 18" Bridgestone runflats but tolerable. Fuel stops can be a painful experience as these cars don't seem to like some of the fuel pump nozzles i.e. pump continously shuts off whilst filling. Seat height adjuster is a ridiculous design which means you have to shuffle up and down to lift the seat which is hopeless, why BMW don't employ a ratchet adjuster is beyond me. Tyre pressure monitor system can give false alerts at times after washing the car. I feel these cars aren't quite worth what BMW ask for them.

Tim Billings, Staffordshire, December 21st 2013

s sDrive 2dr DCT

I have had the Z4 for 18 months now and like it a lot. It looks great and goes like a scalded cat - most professional reviewers don't seem to like the 35is, but I have no complaints, fast, agile, good steering and flat through the corners - reasonably affordable to run and bullet-proof BMW quality. What's not to like? It may not be quite as good on a B-road as a Porsche, but the practicality of the folding roof more than compensates - decent boot as well - I have successfully managed both a week's holiday and trips to the DiY store. Thought fairly seriously about swapping it for an F-Type recently - but the Z4 is far more practical and the F-Type really is not that much better on the road. As I only have one car it was an easy decision to keep the Z4.

Ross Campbell, August 9th 2013

sDrive M Sport 2dr

I have no idea how What Car got the results for this that they did. I purchased my Z4 new a few months ago and overall I find the build quality to be poor especially the interior. This is my 24th new car and I have never had a car with as poorly manufactured interior as this it constantly rattles and creaks, in fact the car I traded in a Skoda Octavia VRS had a far superior build quality and was worth half as much. With less than 200 miles covered the fuel pump developed a high pitch whine, its going into the dealership to be changed. The overall new car experience has been terrible the dealership where I purchased it from offer probably the worst Customer Service I have ever received. They do not return calls or reply to e-mails and make you feel like they have taken your money and now do not really care. My wife recently purchased a new Mercedes and both the service and build quality has been impeccable. Considering they are both classed as Premium products and aiming at the same market BMW are so far behind mainly due to their own arrogance from what I can see. I would advise avoiding this model at all costs as its not worth anything like what you pay for it, trust me you will find it disappointing. I am going to change out of this as soon as it is financially possible and it will not be for a BMW now or ever in the future.

Sam Leslie, July 28th 2013

sDrive 2dr

Having had and enjoyed BMW's pretty much all my company car life (25+ years) and having had the previous model Z4 which I loved, I couldn't wait to get the new model. I had the car for 3 out of it's 4 year lease and returned it because I was fed up with it's constant problems including seized bonnet locks, CD's getting stuck, the heated seat overheating (considerably!), the engine warning system telling me it needed oil constantly (and it didn't) and the tyres were flat (they weren't) and water getting into the lights (3 replaced). These weren't one-off instances, they were repeated and the car was always in the garage. The final straw when the driver's side front wheel sheared right off. The garage told me this wasn't warranty and that I had an accident - which I hadn't, so ended having to sort out the financials myself. I decided to cut my losses and bail out early of the lease because the car was out of warranty and I simply lost the trust that the car would be reliable. I will never own another BMW again of any type - this has really tainted my view of the quality of the cars these days.

Shelley Hirst, Hampshire, July 16th 2013

sDrive M Sport 2dr

I've owned my Z4 for 8 months now from new and 3 months have been spent in the garage. The car is fun to drive, the roadster experience is great when you want to drive it enthusiastically and on the flip side it's a great everyday car which can be driven in comfort. I have the 8 speed auto which is a great gearbox, changes are subtle in comfort mode and for the extra performance and lively acceleration sports mode lives up to the name. What lets the car down is a couple of critical elements - the chair adjustment is dreadful, I can never seem to get it back to normal after a visit to the garage or the missus has used it, I'm only 5,11 and the chair is pushed back to the limit touching the back of the car. The second, the main reason it has been in the garage, is the poor build and material quality, rattles and creaks come from all areas, the roof, dashboard, armrest and more... I've driven a few different cars, 5 to be precise and they all had some sort of issue, some much worse than my own vehicle. Look at E89 Z4 forums and you will realise the issues owners are experiencing, I am surprised What Car has awarded 5 stars for quality, I can only put that down to limited road testing. Owners are having to make homemade fixes to rectify rattles and creaks, the garage may resolve one issue but introduce another, which is a tell-tale sign of low quality materials and build. Anyone considering an E89 Z4 should consider how much cabin rattling and creaks they can put up with.

Dylan Wesleyharding, December 13th 2012

sDrive M Sport 2dr

I used to own a 2005 soft top Z4 and I loved it! Sure there were things I wanted that it didn't have such as cruise control, integrated phone Bluetooth and a cup holder, but overall I thought it was a great car. But when I saw the new Z4 with its gorgeous lines that tip the hat to a classic sports roadster of the 60's, I knew I had fallen in love again! It is a beautiful piece of design, a fantastic looking car. What I don't like: Still no cruise control or cup holders. I'm pretty sure you can get cruise control as an additional option, and I know you can buy a cup holder and get BMW to fit it, but seriously. The roof is slow to complete its motion. The old model took about 9 seconds which let you pop it up or down while at a red light, but this takes about 22 seconds which I think could be shaved off by timing the component parts better. When the roof is down the boot space is pitiful…but that's the price you pay. What I do like: It's stunningly beautiful. The interior is high quality and well laid out. The drive is fun and ... grippy! I love the 2.0i S Drive engine with its Twin Power Turbo, it's fast and sounds nice. The boot space is good if you leave the roof up. Did I mention that its beautiful? Overall, a Great Leap Forward from the old model. If you want a raw sports car then go for the Elise or the S2000. If you want a smooth ride, refinement and enough poke to make you smile, then the Z4 won't let you down! It's awesome :-)

Lee Lawson, October 11th 2012

sDrive M Sport 2dr

I bought the new Z4 due to it's striking & aggressive looks after enjoying my previous Z4 coupe. The interior is well built and laid out, sports seats comfortable, but there are a number of rattles from the roof & a few bad designs of the interior, like the seatbelt which rubs on the seats leather leaving unsightly marks & the manual seat adjustment makes seat adjustment difficult. The sound system is of a really poor standard with speakers that distort badly. However, the interior is impressive on the eye & passengers comment how stylish it is. Getting in behind the wheel & getting on the road is a different story, the car is easy & comfortable to drive, the electric power steering gives an artificial driving experience, the car sticks well to the road on corners & handles well. However, I just find the ride too similar to a sedan, gone is the raw exhaust note & the raw drive from the last model. The cars looks just do not seem to match the feel of the car which I find really disappointing. I also find the 2.5 engine is lacking performance, the engine really needs to be revved & the gears worked to move at speed. I just find the whole experience of owning the new Z4 quite boring. I would recommend the 3.0 if you really want a Z4, upgrade the seats to elec adjustment, & upgrade the sound system. I do feel the car has been improved from the previous model, but when I buy a sports car, I want the feel of a sports car which I have not got from the existing model.

Matthew Proome, UK, April 2nd 2011

si Sport 2dr

Bought this car early this year and so far so good - very impressed. Have owned various cars over the years civic type r/ bmw 3 series convertible/ supra 3.0 twin turbo / and a undesirable ford puma!!!!!!!!!! Not as fast as i expected but saying that the sound from the car is beautiful to say the least. ride quality as others hve aid isnt poor but more like what you should expect from a motor like this - it tells the driver what its doing which is spot on so shut up. my only concern as yet is these run flats seen expensive to replace and being rear wheel drive going to shred them fairly quickly so am sure will find out but wont stop me sticking the foot down thats what the car was built for.

grant cheetham, January 13th 2009

i SE 2dr

I bought the Z4 4 years ago from new and have done 65,000 miles. In that time I've had two oil change services and one inspection service - totalling about Β£800. I've had quite a few tyres but have managed about 15,000 miles per set of rears and 30,000 for fronts... the standard tyres on mine are about Β£140 a pop from the main agent - for some reason they seem to be the cheapest. I've had a handful of problems, all fixed under warranty. Nothing too major: seat belt sensor, rain sensor, bonnet catch. It does burn a bit of oil, I was told to expect that when I bought it. Probably 500mls every six months. On the road I think its fantastic.... a lot of my mileage has been motorway but after a bad day at work I often dropped the top and drove home the long way on the country lanes and chilled out. It's quite happy plodding along the motorway with the top down at normal motorway speeds ;-) but its a lot more fun on the curvy roads. On a good run I once get 40mpg out of it, driving at just under 70.... typically with m-way driving I've been getting low 30's. At the moment I work more local and just sit in traffic jams to get to work so the mpg has dropped to 25.... but my old golf GTi would have been no different. For me its a good balance of performance, economy and looks.... and soo much fun! I'm looking to change it now and to be honest I'm really struggling to find an alternative - it'd be boring to get the same thing again.

Ian Turner, Lancashire, January 10th 2009

i SE 2dr

I have recently baught the Z4 2.2 SE. I am extremly pleased with this car. The car was bought on an impulse and boy am I happy. Very surprised with it's performance ability. The car always feels that it's got more to give! Petrol consumptiom is rather surprising and represents good value. I would definitley recommend this car to someone who is looking for a stylish looking car that also performs well.

Nasim Hoque, December 24th 2008

si Sport 2dr

Doing a few thousand miles, I have found my Z4 comfortable to drive, with supportive plush leather seats, plenty of acceleration, good driving position and enough gadgets to satisfy me. Driving around town the car does around 29mpg and on long distance trips around 37mpg doing 80 MPH. The suspension is hard, enjoyable and gives a sporty ride, handling is amazing the car loves corners and sticks to the road. The run flats do ruin the ride slightly on poor roads; it tends to get stuck on contours and almost makes me feel that I am losing control and cause some road noise. But on a smooth road, the car is amazing and this is when I love it again. The straight six engine is beautiful, sounds amazing and provides plenty of punch even in top gear. The Gearbox at low speeds is a little clunky in 1st and 3rd, but once picking up speed becomes as smooth as silk. The clutch can take some getting used to. On the whole it is a stunning car, gets lots of attention and makes me feel excited about driving again, which most modern cars lack. I do have some concerns that the car will not feel that amazing to drive in a few years time when it has done 50k Miles. The gear knob came off when changing gears and the driver window jammed. There are a few internal rattles – these things do make me question the build quality. You will not regret owning this car, buy second hand to save yourself a packet!

Matthew Proome, UK, September 15th 2008

i SE 2dr

I had a 2.2i SE for two years, which I bought at 18 months old with 14,000 miles on the clock. It looks sensational, especially with uprated alloys. It gave a thrilling drive, especially when pushing on. It was also a quite practical for a roadster. However, it had some problems. Both electric window regulators needed replacing. Twice it inexplicably failed to start leaving me stranded. The rear suspension coil snapped. Also, the dashboard illumination kept 'pinking' out - the local garage (BMW dealer of the year, no less) couldn't fix. I always needed to top the oil level up - the sensor was replaced by the dealer, which fixed problem for a while, but the problem returned. Overall, I'm glad I bought it, but in the end I couldn't get rid of it quickly enough, because all but one of the problems occurred within the last six months of ownership. It was the car I'd always promised myself but in the end it was just one thing after the next and in the end you just get sick of it. Shame - you would have thought a premium brand like BMW could do better, especially as cars half the price (SEAT, Peugeot) have run faultlessly for 3 years.

Duncan Creed, April 23rd 2008

si Sport 2dr

Had the car for a month now an eight month old demo with 4200 miles and really enjoying the experience of my first BMW. Previous drive was a VX220 so quite a change! Quality is good in the cabin and for a sports car it has the right level of comfort and toys. The engine is fantastic...it will happily potter round @ 40mph in 6th but give it the full beans and it sounds and goes superbly...I'd guess the term would be a GT? Economy over the first 1250 miles is 32.1 with a fair amount of urban driving and a 600mile tour to the Midlands and wales. Downsides? Heavy clutch, notchy changes up and down to 3rd and the tramlining on bumpier roads. I agree with the first poster the Z4 feels like a coupe and as nice as the new TT is it feels much more like a hatchback. People stare at the Z4 and comment on its beauty I'd guess thats not something Z4 owners enjoy...

John Slater, March 27th 2008

i SE 2dr

I purchased my car 10 months ago @ 3 yrs old with 13k on the clock from a main dealer. I have owned numerous performance cars most notably Boxster S, Honda S2000, Golf R32 and an Alfa 147 GTA. For me the Z4 is second only to the Boxster not quite matching the wonderful steering, chassis and bespoke feel. However it is considerably cheaper to buy and run. In many ways I actually find the BMW more fun and chuckable. Part of this is due to the excellent traction / stability control options available which allows the back to slip to varying degrees so you can at least feel like you are pushing the car to its limits. The engine and manual gearbox are also superb. On the down side the run flats tyres are very expensive. My next car? Circumstances permitting I am thinking Z4 Coupe 3.0 Sport

Darran Liddle, hampshire, March 26th 2008

i SE 2dr

I have owned my Z4 for nearly a year, and I love it. It is a stunning looking car, in fact I can't think of many cars that look much better in any price bracket. It is an all round fun car to drive with excellent handling and power, and you've got the added bonus of the soft top for those few warm days we get. It is surprisingly good on fuel also which is another bonus. The build quality is as good as you would expect from BMW, however I do think that the interior build has suffered. Not only on the Z4, but on all of the new generation BMW's. I have also owned an E46 BMW 3 series, an X5 and a 1 series. The X5 and the 3 series had the old style interiors which were of a more solid build. As for the 1 series and the Z4, they are more modern and I feel BMW have sacrificed the quality for the styling in this area. I have also removed the run flat tyres from the vehicle as I did on my 1 series as this does give the car a very stiff ride. I would personally rather have a spare and a much more comfortable drive. This aside the Z4 is a really great 2 seater sports car and I would definitely buy another.

scott davies, shropshire, March 9th 2008

i SE 2dr

I owned this car for 10 months & 11,000 miles. Likes: β€’ Power. Despite getting used to the performance somewhat, the car can still surprise me with the awesome acceleration. And I’ve owned lots of fast bikes. β€’ Grip. I’ve never driven anything else that goes round corners like the Z4. Well balanced handling in general. β€’ Looks. A really original design. β€’ Cabin. I love the ambience in the cabin. The subtle lighting at night is beautiful. β€’ Engine noise. Driving through tunnels in the Pyrenees , top down, 6000rpm with butterflys fully open. Music. My Z3 3.0 made an even better noise though. β€’ Stereo. I have the upgraded Carver stereo. The best audio I’ve heard in a car. β€’ Efficiency. 36 mpg from a 3.0 six ! β€’ Xenon HID lamps. Halogen high beam also superb. Dislikes: β€’ Creaks, rattles, squeaks and numerous other annoying noises. Awful. Like driving a van loaded with tools. My Z only has 21,000 miles. β€’ Tramlining. I’d hoped to get away from this when I moved from Z3 to Z4. In the Z3, I put it down to chassis flex, but the 4 is much stiffer. β€’ Steering. Electric power steering feels a bit numb. β€’ Ride on runflats. Bin your runflats for a much improved ride. β€’ Comfort (standard leather seats). I just can’t get comfy. I always feel like I am twisted in the seat. The lateral support is awful. The footwell is also a bit cramped. β€’ Over-sophisticated. I am anxious about stuff going wrong when the car gets a little older. There are too many electronics.

Will Newman, February 19th 2008

si Sport 2dr

The z4 coupe is a sublime sports car. It has bags of grip, responsive steering, a meaty exhaust note and power aplenty from that amazing flat six. Running costs are reasonable for a car with such performance; I have been getting 27-30 mpg and do a fair amount of city driving interspersed with motorway travel. The only negative is a slight tendency to tram-line on the UK's bumpy, broken roads. The low-slung driving position and chunky steering wheel make you feel like you're in a true sports car, unlike the TT I tested which felt and drove too much like a family hatchback. There is ample space in the boot for a two week holiday (it is only marginally smaller than a TT's). I also tested a 350z and it was a close call between the two but the z4 wins on greater practicality, being cheaper to run and having a higher quality feel to it. What sealed it though was the appalling service I received from Nissan. They cannot expect to sell a Β£30,000 car and treat customers with such apathy and disdain. The shape of the z4 coupe divides opinion, but while I don't think it makes a particularly attractive roadster, in coupe form its classic shape harks back the 60s. That, combined with the performance, the quality, the practicality and the fact that it's not two a penny like the ubiquitous TT, make it a truly special car for the money.

Jon Jervis, February 8th 2008