Chevrolet LACETTI Estate Owner reviews

SX 5dr

The build quality is poor - 18 months of pulling a wheelchair in and out of the boot has wrecked the carpet and scratched the bumper trim. The rear seats do not fold completely flat, It's a struggle to get an adult mountain bike in the boot with the seats down. Equipment is okay, air-con, leccy windows and a CD player as standard, but don't expect to be able to plug your iPod in. Economy is appalling, most of our driving is urban and I get less than 60 miles out of Β£10 of petrol, sometimes less than 50 with the aircon running. Even extra-urban economy is poor, a 160 mile trips costs somewhere in the region of Β£40. Comfort is ok for short journeys, but make sure you take your wallet out of your back pocket on longer drives. Handling is ok - it's an estate after all - but the ride can get a bit rough on B roads. The brakes also feel a bit soft, and I've had a couple of "moments" on unfamilar roads when sharp turns came up a bit quicker than expected and the brakes where a lot less responsive than I was expecting. Performance is again nothing special, it'll get up to 70-80 eventually, but it'll be noisy when you get there. Reliability seems to be more like owning a 10 year old car than a new one, I've had persistent problems with the ABS warning light comming on for no-apparent reason that the dealer could find. Overall I certainly wouldn't choose another one, and will be looking to change it for a Citroen Multispace in another 18 months.

Paul Ireland, NE Lincs, July 25th 2008

SX 5dr

i have had my lacetti 1.6 sx sw now for 2 1/2yrs it,s a good solid "workhorse/family car" mpg is nothing to boast about,but it starts every time on the button,comfy,roomy,but bit boreing, the only problem i have had is the engine management light keeps comeing on and the car then goes into "limp" mode,(limited power)as u can gather this can be dangerous in some circumstances (overtakeing ect) it,s been in the dealers 3 times and still no joy,until i took my car with the management light still on into the dealers and only then did they diagnose that the valves were "cokeing up" and the cylinder head needs to come off and modified, i still like my lacetti but i think that because of the dealers "inexperience" at fixing the problem i shall not be buying another chevy, pity cause they seem good cars.

glyn howells, mid-glam, February 23rd 2008

SX 5dr

Too many people think they're Jeremy Clarkson. I am like 80% of the country - work hard, not much spare cash, raising a family. I have owned a string of Volvos and am so dissapointed in their new range - they are poorer quality than 10 years ago and twice the price. I fell in love with the Chevy the day I drove it. It was 1 year old, 10K on the clock, FSH, 2 years free warranty and servicing - and I toughed it out to Β£6500 - the same price as a 12 months newer basic model Fiat Punto. This gives me air con when hot, CD player, alloys (who cares), big enough boot to get two push bikes, 2 rucksacks and enough toys for a 3 year old. Sensible driving gives 400 miles to Β£45. If I go a bit faster or have the air con on, then it reduces it to 350 miles. It's basic, it'll depreciate quicker than a Timmy Mallet album, it's made of recycled plastic-y fronts, it'll do 0-60 eventually, but mum + dad + baby + shopping + space + who cares if it looks a bit scruffy after three years - all for peanuts. Be very realistic about this car and you will not be disappointed. If you want performance, buy a motorbike. If you want skip-like capacity with boring dadlike practicality get a chevy. I'm already planning my next one.

Andrew East, Cheshire, September 5th 2007

SX 5dr

I have owned my Lacetti for over a year and am lucky to get 32 miles to the gallon. Whoever wrote the specification for the car should be shot - there is no way you can get 42 miles to the gallon unless you turn the engine off going downhill. I will not be getting another one.

lawrence duff, lanarkshire, May 16th 2007

SX 5dr

I have had my lacetti s/w for 8 months now and I love it to bits I feel it is well specd is comfortabe over long distances handles reasonably well would we all appricate sports car type handling?? I get 37 mpg and i,m no flat cap driver just sensible so far is reliable i,m 6ft 4in and with the seat all the way back the person who sits behind me does not have there knees up there nose the 6 millon dollar question would I buy another YES

keith mcdowell, May 6th 2007

SX 5dr

I’ve had a 1.6SX SW for a little under 8 months now, in which time I have covered 10k miles on a mixture of roads. It is the worst car I’ve ever owned, & possibly the worst I've ever driven. The fuel economy is the first thing to really annoy you. I struggle to average 32mpg. The very best I’ve had, on a careful motorway drive, is 34.6mpg. Before anyone suggests that I’m a bit leadfooted, my other car is a 1990 2 ton Jaguar with a 3.6 litre engine. I average 28mpg in that, and have achieved 31mpg. That doesn’t make sense. Burning all that fuel, you would expect some performance, but it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! That's not in comparison to the Jaguar, I compare it to my previous car, a 60hp Cordoba of similar weight. The Lacetti also has a very annoying over-rev & the clutch appears to slip when changing gear. I am assured by the Chevrolet mechanics that these are both normal. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired. It is cheap and plasticy, & already creaks and groans. The seating position is uncomfortable, as is the chair. However, headroom is a definite plus in this car. Practicality: its a box, and a very practical box. But the rear seats are awkward in that they do not easily fold flat. Visibility is also poor, with large blind spots. My father bought a 2.0 litre diesel Mazda 6 at the same time, a more expensive car, but I wish I'd done the same. The money you save is lost very quickly in extra fuel costs, & the 6 is a better car.

Andrew Brooks, South Gloucestershire, March 29th 2007

SX 5dr

This is an OK car. Perhaps this sounds negative, but I have owned my Lacetti Estate 1.6 for over a year now, and, considering what I paid for it and the free three year servicing package, I'm quite happy. It is very practical as a load lugger, very comfortable and well thought out. The all round visibilty is much better than most cars. It's easy to check the oil and other fluid levels. It doesn't handle like a Focus. The front wheels slide early when cornering. The steering, brakes and gearchange are all a bit woolly, a bit lacking in feeling, but they're OK. The engine gets noisy when pushed, but, taken more leisurely, it's fine, if a bit lacking in oomph. It sems to be well put together. The only trips to the Dealer, other than servicing, have been to correct the idling (an engine management fault) and new pads for the handbrake. I get around 400 miles on a tankful of petrol in mixed rural/urban running, which strikes me as reasonable for the size of engine. As you can gather I don't find this a car to get excited about, but it is very competent as a straightforward, no nonsense everyday working family car. It has swallowed my childrens' belongings at the end of university terms and buzzed along quite happily on the motorway without giving me backache. It's OK.

Ian Colquhoun, January 13th 2007

SX 5dr

I am very pleased with the general handling, road holding and ride quality of the car, but am very concerned about the poor fuel consumption. If I had known how thirsty the car was I would not have purchased it. The Chevrolet literature quoted 47.8mpg extra urban, but I am lucky if I get 34mpg on a long run in hot weather and without using the air-conditioning. The package at purchase is very attractive, but quite frankly the money saving with the package is far outweighed by the cost of the petrol gulping fuel consumption. My advice to anyone buying a new Lacetti is that if fuel consumption is an issue, then do not buy one. I am in deep discussion with Chevrolet and the dealer about the matter and would be interested to read if other people have had a similar experience with the Lacetti's fuel consumption.

Arthur Winfield, Essex, July 4th 2006

Sport 5dr

I live in Denmark, where the Lacetti SW is called a Nubira SW. I own the 1.8 CDX. Equipment is excellent, comfort is good, however I have serious issues regarding the petrol consumption. If driven on our motorway here in Denmark at 80mph, I only achieve 9-10 kilometres per litre. You can work out the conversion yourself. In realistic terms it means that I pay Β£100 a month more in petrol than with my previous car, a Skoda Octavia 1.6. This is very disappointing. A small problem is the gearbox, which is a little hard also. In conclusion, it is a pratical, good looking SW which is very good for the family, but I would not recommend this car to others because of the serious fuel issues.

Martyn Lewis, June 25th 2006

SX 5dr

This is my first Chevrolet, which I purchased in January 2006. The Lacetti 1.6 SX offers very good value for money and comes with an unrivalled equipment package, including chilled glove box, a number of power points in various positions throughout the car, and a net also for the boot. The car has excellent storage facilities with every inch of storage space utilised with some sort of tray or door. One of the most disappointing aspects of the Lacetti is the lack of engine power and acceleration, so I would recommend the 1.8 Station Wagon. Another hitch with the 1.6 is that I feel as if I am never away from the fuel pump - it seems to gulp petrol. I purchased the Lacetti 1.6 SX as I got an unbelievably good deal with delivery mileage only on the clock, which I could not knock back. I would predict that the trade -in price you would get for this car would be very low, as a consequence of the Chevrolet Brand not being to well known across the UK. However, when Chevrolet move on from the Daewoo spin-offs onto their own designs, I see a bright future for the company and some very competitive and exciting cars, such as the Chevrolet Captiva (C100) or (S3X), which I will hopefully own shortly. The Chevrolet 1.6 SX overall is a very comfortable tourer for any family and performs very well on long trips up and down the motorway, and to date I have had no problems. I would recommend it to anyone.

Patrick Doherty, Renfrewshire, May 12th 2006

SX 5dr

The Lacetti SW is a fantastic car – nice, spacious and with all the right extras, warning lights and beeps on board. Contrary to the main article the rear back seat can be folded flat by removing the horizontal seat which is easily β€œclipped-on”. Visibility all round is good and the car is solid and reassuring. T he gearchange is a bit peculiar on second gear and has to be accustomed to, however, the second gear provides the proper versatility needed as to power and maneuverability in restricted areas. The Lacetti SW is being sold all over the world (as Optra) and that would guarantee future availability of parts and assistance.

Aldo Ellul, April 10th 2006