CitroΓ«n C5 Owner reviews

HDI 16V VTR+ Nav 4dr

Reading some of the owner reviews has lead me to comment, the negative comments beggar belief. This vehicle is one of the best and most comfortable I have driven in 38 years driving company vehicles. It will never be a superb handling machine as most company drivers think their vehicle should be, they all think they should drive like the Stig (pretentious prats). However as a comfortable economic cruiser you could not find another to equal this vehicle in the sector. I opted to take out a personal lease on this vehicle and when it came to the end of the lease was given the option of buying. I did not think twice, I average 51 MPG and could drive all day (425 miles) and not be tired at the end of the journey. I was sceptical before entering the lease but have been more than impressed with quality, reliability and economy so much so that I have now purchased the vehicle. I average 51.3MPG which the onboard computer returns, however I can confirm that it is very accurate

Brian Robertson, Glasgow, July 25th 2013

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

The C5 wont be to everyones taste, which for me is an advantage, it is well equiped with a rubish cup holder. I have done 60k in mine and understand its little foibles. The depollution warning will put it in limp mode, just restart it and it will be back to full power, it is caused by the DPF which needs cleaning, thrash it for a few miles and it will clean it and then the warning light will go out (use the gearbox to keep the revs over 3000)Tyres can be expensive but are good quality, brake pads last 30k on mine and the rear ones are a pig to change. The seat is extremly adjustable and as a six footer I have no issues getting comfortable, I do a lot of high speed motorway driving and get 40mpg with an auto box. I have had it back under warranty for a new fuse box, caused gearbox selection issues, a recall on the trim at the side of the windscreen and a short wiring harness on the brake pedal switch. None of these took more than 4 hours and the dealer is excellent. In summary faults are the cup holder and the depolution system. Advantages are a high spec car at a sensible price which I can do 500 miles in and get out without aches and pains. Would I buy it again? Yes and that is not something I have said about SAAB, Vauxhall, BMW, Mercedes, Pugeot, Ford and numerous now defunct brands of car.

David Banks, Lancs, December 20th 2011

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

Looks: Lovely Turning Circle: Abysmal (I've driven more manouveurable boats) Spec: Lovely but hugely unreliable. Parking sensor has failed several times with intermittent fault. Dealer can't replicate, let alone rectify. Limp mode engaged on random occasions. Dealer can't replicate, let alone rectify. Aircon randomly turns itself up to "Max". Dealer can't replicate, let alone rectify. Sensor valves on tyres are a complete pain in the arse. Been sent back for more than one safety recall. Hands free is great if you're in the car, but useless if on the other end of the phone. On the plus side, the dealer does clean & vacuum the car very nicely!

Dan Davies, Middlesex, May 25th 2011

HDI 16V VTR+ 4dr

I have ran the C5 for the last 3 years as a company car, whilst happy with the ride and comfort of the car i can not wait to see the back of it, last summer the air con failed and took 3 months to rectify with both front window motors failing at the same time making the heat during the summer unbearable, and as i write this review i am waiting for it to be repaired again! Then we have the rear main oil seal failing along with a turbo seal at the same time leaving oil patches where ever i parked it......Nope will not have another one

Colin Waite, May 17th 2011

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

I have just got rid of the mondeo 2.5t titanium x because of high running and fuel costs. Many people have said I've down graded but pesonally I feel I've up graded, becuase the c5 exclusive is a pleasure to own and drive. The 2.0 hdi engine doesn't have the same straight line speed but for the relaxed driver its beautifully quiet. Its biult like a tank and it's just basically gorgeous. I chose deep red metallic as I wanted to get away from silver and black. Overall I would 100% advise the c5 to anyone looking for a luxourious saloon, the estate version is extremely practical aswell. Years ago citroen used to be a company where reliablity was a huge issue but today citroen reliability is improving massively and I can't stress enough how reliable the c5 is and how the dealer is so proffessional.

martin kirk, manchester, November 14th 2008

HDI 16V VTR+ 4dr

The performance and economy are both very competitive and will match all the obvious alternatives. You will also find the overall feel of quality and durability in a different class compared to the previous C5 and most other Citroens. However I have to respond to the the constant comments I get that I must love the car because it is so comfortable. Quite frankly it is not. The steering wheel is awkward to hold and on long journeys creates tension in your neck and shoulders. Also not sure why but the seat base makes my legs ache after half an hour. The suspension on the VTR+ is steel springs but it is the softest I have ever experienced since my fathers Renault 14 in the late 1970s, on the motorway it is constantly floating up and down or if only one side hits a bump you get a corkscrew motion. After a while this gets really frustrating and if you have passengers they start to feel sick. The worst scenario is a wet and windy motorway where the floppy suspension and complete lack of feel in the steering make crosswinds a nightmare. There are aspects of this car which some people will like but do not be taken in by this myth that it is supremely comfortable, if you do a lot of motorway miles please try before you buy.

Brian Sicobo, Hampshire, October 25th 2008

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

I've come to the C5 from the Mondeo. I'm a smidge over 6'2" and find it easy to get comfortable, the seats offering more movement than in the Ford. On the Exclusive model the additional positions afforded by the hinged top half of the seat mean you can get things inch perfect. The fixed steering wheel hub does take a day of getting used to, but once you've gotten your head round the fact it doesn't move, all other cars with buttons that turn on the hub with the road seem positively archaic by comparison! Same can be said of the 'hand clap' wipers which cover the entire glass in absolute silence, or the hydractive suspension which turns any motorway trip into a magic carpet ride. The radio's terrible, there are far too many buttons cluttering the dashboard, and too many features are hidden away behind a perplexing user interface, but all told it's a fine car. Quiet, comfortable, solid. The PSA 2.2 twin-turbo diesel gives rapid progress but still gives 45mpg on trips and the projected residuals and lower repair costs mean it has been cheaper for me to lease the Citroen than the Ford. The C5 is a refreshingly different car in a peculiarly French way, made for a different - modern? - style of driving. It has no sporting intent and as has been echoed here many times, for today's roads that's something many of us are truly thankful for. Thank you, C5!

Jamie Cunningham, August 21st 2008

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

After taking a test drive, I decided to buy it. It is quieter than many German cars I’ve driven. The 2 litre Diesel isn't under powered, just about right. It is not a fast/sporty car, it is certainly a very comfortable car. The SatNav reports live traffic (it reads out the text), covers both motor ways and A-roads. The fast reacting SatNav has built-in hard drive, faster than DVD SatNav. The leather seats are using fine leather. The driver massage seat has memory function. The parking brake applies / releases automatically for you. When the steering wheel turns to certain degrees, the cornering lights will come up to bright the sides for you. The rear parking sensors shows distance on the SatNav screen. The USB box connects my ipod to the sat nav. The voice controls are basic but useful. All seems to be integrated very well. In my experience, all those expensive German car factory options don't really help the resale value. C5 is a fully equipped car, for the price of a very basic German car. Automatic gearbox works well with the 2.0 diesel engine. The ride quality is superb, on motorway, A-roads and B-roads. It does not drive as exciting as a BMW, but I am tired of being sporty, I want my journey to be ultra comfortable and smooth. With the same money, I could get a 3-year old BMW, but I choose to have this new C5.

W G, July 25th 2008

HDI 16V SX 4dr

I am a 35k miles p.a. Sales Executive, who seems to live in my car. The Citroen C5 was given to me as a loan whilst I await my New Mondeo Titanium X diesel hatchback. From the outside the shape and sleek lines look as fresh as anything else on the road. To the untrained eye, without a badge or front grill marque you would struggle to guess its stable. My disappointments very quickly materialised when sitting inside though. At 6ft tall, it seems that I sit quite a distance back from the pedals than the average 6ft driver. The seat moves sufficiently backwards for me but strangely enough the steeing wheel does want to come back as far as the seat position would warrant. The awkward angle of the seat base makes it impossible to get comfortable. Citroen have created a steering wheel of the sort that I have never experienced before. The central console remains stationary whilst the wheel turns around it. Brilliant if want to drive around town with your knuckles trapped between the two at every junction. The French must have smaller hands than us Brits. The hand break neccessitates me leaning forward out of my seat, with the need to reach over the central storage box to get to it. I should have this car for the next 6 weeks whilst I sit out the extra long delivery of my Mondeo. I have just spoken to the garage who gave me the Citroen to see if they have a bicycle I can use instead. At least I'll still be able to use my mobile.....

Dave Clowes, July 25th 2008

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

This is an early review after only 400 miles and one week, but I can already endorse most of the comments made below. It just feels like driving a limo. The remark about the 'numb steering' criticism was interesting. I also tried many cars, including the BMW 3 series which had a very sharp steering feel. However, at legal speeds, and even around significant bends, I find the effect with both cars was much the same. You turn the wheel and, hey presto, the car goes round the corner! Haven't had time to try all the knobs and handles yet, but I'm sure the dashboard is OK once you've got used to it. Criticism of interior storage has some justification. For example the glovebox is well named - it will take a pair of gloves but not much else. And I haven't found out yet how to put the clock right. Oh well, you can't expect new cars to be perfect!

Steven elliott, Wiltshire, July 24th 2008

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

Adverts which claim the C5 is 'Unmistakeably German' do the car's soothing demeanour a real injustice - it's quiet, comfortable, and emphasises economy rather than power. It's even cheap to tax, with the 1.6 HDi emitting 149g/km and rated VED band 'C'. Aside from build quality and a few design cues, it actually has very few Germanic traits. I should stress that contrary to popular belief the C5 does not pitch and wallow. It's a common criticism from people whose knowledge of the car's Hydractive suspension extends to the fact they don't like anything French. The ride tightens the faster you go, or the more you throw it about, and while a C5 won't feel as 'connected' as many rivals, it has a stiff 'Sport' mode and can still be hustled along lanes at a decent clip. The C5 is cheaper and better equipped than the Mondeo, and is predicted to hold its value better too. While dealers get a roasting in satisfaction surveys, what they sell has been proven more reliable than any Ford or German rival, and the cars are cheaper to repair should things go wrong. Check any claims-based data such as the What Car? Reliability Index - CitroΓ«n are in 8th spot behind Japanese manufacturers and Skoda. And you don't laugh at Skoda any more, do you? Given the cost of fuel, fuel tax, and the appalling condition of roads, not to mention the current obsession with speed enforcement, the C5 makes for as modern a car as I can think of. Go for a test drive!

Philip Wand, July 23rd 2008

HDI 16V Exclusive 4dr

I tested a number of cars and not being impressed I finally went to a Citroen dealership and drove the C5. What a revelation. Quiet and fabulously smooth. I bought the auto version and, having driven a few hundred miles in it feel totally satisfied - smug even. The quality of the interior is great. The heavy doors close with a satisfying clunk, the leather seats are extremely comfortable, the auto-wipers are totally silent, the dash and interior fittings really look the business, etc etc. Confusing dash? - nonsense - you soon get used to it. The satnav is a doddle. With 5 CDs on the harddrive I still have 97% capacity remaining. I bought a second SIM card for a quid and have a hands-free car phone. The suspension is soft but in a wonderful, wafting along kind of way. I don't drive fast enough(does anyone?) to notice wallowing around bends. And the "numb" steering just adds to the feeling of a wonderful, serene driving experience. Not having had any previous experience with Citroen my only concern is reliability. Anyway, if it does cost me a few quid in repairs over the years it will be well worth it all the same. (I priced a 3 Series to the same spec and it came to well over 30 grand) I have been driving for 41 years and am not in the market for a stiff suspension with a white-knuckle type of drive. If you are, then look elswhere. Otherwise, do yourself a favour and test the C5. Thanks to the lads at Evans Halshaw, Bradford.

I Rojko, July 9th 2008