Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Owner reviews

Kiri 5dr

I've owned this car for nearly six months now. I have nothing but praise for it. I bought the Kiri in dark metallic green. Used my wife's hair dryer to remove the ridiculous Kiri decals and have a car that now looks fantastic. As other reviewers have commented it does bounce a little and the engine does need to be revved quite hard if you want to really move. But the car handles very well, the seats are very comfortable and it is extremely well made. Daihatsu are renowned for their reliability so I dont expect any problems on that front. I've owned and driven many cars over the years including four wheel drives and I have to say that the Terios is one of the best cars I've owned. As another owner pointed out, how can What Car give this car only a two star rating when owners are averaging four. Having said that, reviews from ordinary people who live with a car from day to day are far more meanigful than from a reviewer who will only use the car for a relatively short time.

Adrian Hatch, February 20th 2009

SX 5dr

I test drove this late in 2008 with every intention of buying one as found it to be an absolute joy to drive and to sit behind the wheel. With 5yrs warranty and 5yrs free servicing and a price tag of less than 14k for an sx model you really can't go wrong. For me though it didn't quite have enough punch with the 1.5ltr petrol engine and wanted something with a bit better fuel economy too. I couldn't fault the customer service that i received from Ian at Daihatsu Maidenhead,he was a complete joy and runs rings around his competitors. Overall it just fell short of what i wanted but is a great buy for those on a budget looking for something different and quirky with great customer service.

Graham Fellowes, Oxfordshire, February 5th 2009

SX 5dr

Owners seem to rate this car much more highly than the reviewers and, having driven it, that's one of the reasons I'm buying one. Yes, the ride is a bit bouncy (nowhere near as bad as my Defender though) and it isn't suitable for boy racers, but I found it comfortable, fun to drive and spacious. It comes with everything you really need on a car, is just that bit different and it is outstanding value for money. The dealer was brilliant too - is anyone else as fed-up as I am with what passes for service at more mainstream franchises? It remains to be seen how the economy and long-term reliability hold up but 5 years free servicing, 5 year warranty and free RAC cover will certainly help. Come on What Car? you give it 2/5 on the website and 3/5 in your New Car Guide - why not push the boat out and give it 4/5 like most owners.

Shaun Sheppard, February 1st 2009

SX 5dr

The Terios is a great fun to drive vehicle. Its legroom is impressive, all round visibility is also good. Economy is around 37 mpg average. Considering we use it for many short journey's ist's quite good. All controls are qithin good reach and parking the Terios is no problem because it's not that long. The luggage is also spacious and folding the rear seats to provide more space is very easy. All in all the Terios is a great 4x4!

Michael Porter, December 27th 2008

SX 5dr

I have been owning a TERIOS SX AUTO for 8 months. I find that the driving is easy because of its compact size, good visibility and small turning circle. Its good ground clearance helps me a lot when driving on bad roads. But fuel economy was not that good. Reached 11.2 km/l(31.78 mpg) average only once, and I think it is the best which can be achieved. In climbing hills, engine needs to be raised too much. Otherwise it is a good SUV.

Upali Mallawaarachchi, Sri Lanka, November 9th 2008

SE Auto 5dr

Had a test drive in the SE Auto and fell in love, signed up for one there and then and i am picking it up on Thurday this week, great to drive, i like being high up and looking down on you all!!! mine will be a motobility car , it's great for anyone who has problems getting in a low car as i found it much easier to get into this (then the Nissan Note i have now!) i am looking forward to putting lots of miles on the clock. great budget 4x4, Daihatsu don't get the adverts and publicity they should.

Debbie Petherick, surrey, October 22nd 2008

SX 5dr

After looking at 4 vehicles, the terios was the only one we chose to test-drive. It was love at first sight! Excellent driving position, very high equipment level, plenty of space for 4 passengers (1 over 6 ft) and luggage. Very comfortable, easy to drive, nippy, easy to park, quite able to manage off-road use and cheap to buy and run. What more could you want for Β£14,000? One oddity though, the trip computer display is in the driver's odometer and the safety display is in the centre of the dash. This would be better if swapped around so the passenger could view the details when moving.

Mark Burden, Dorset, September 6th 2008

S 5dr

I have owned my Terios for 18 months and covered 14k miles. Most of this is urban, minor roads and farm tracks but has had its fair share of motorway and long distance runs. Nothing whatsover has gone wrong. The permanent 4 wheel drive is excellent. It has also taken me from the West Midlands to Brussels on 2 occasions and a trek to the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish western isles without any problem. It proved comfortable and spacious, returned 37 mpg as well as turning a few heads. Economy is a lot better than I expected (being up until now a confirmed diesel head)but I still wonder why Daihatsu have not marketed it with a diesel engine as stated in an earlier review.I suspect they have one eye on the high priced Rav4 sales as the Terios is just as good as its bigger relative at half the price.

Iain Mackay, Worcs, June 26th 2008

SX 5dr

i owned land rover discovery I & II and the terios automatic4x4 1.5 model. you cant compare the terios to full sized 4x4's in terms of load space, engine torque and ground clearance, but i will say its a very practical 4x4, considering its affordability and the capabilities on and off-road. its really fun in the dunes, and city driving. for highway long drive, dont ask for the comfort of a luxury sedan but i will say its far more better than it's equivalent priced sedan. for me the full time 4WD and the central diff. lock makes a lot of difference from its class.

Goodman Cuenca, kingdom of Saudi Arabia, May 11th 2008

SX 5dr

I've owned it since March 2007. Recently we went on holiday to the French Riviera using Autoroutes. The longest single leg of journey was 520 miles and took 12 hours towing a 300kg folding camper. This vehicle was up to the job and maintained excellent progress on what were very wet Motorways in the north and very hot, dry motorways south of Lyon. The aircon gave comfort, as did the ride. The cabin noise on long journeys was not excessive. Meanwhile, the ABS saved our lives. On a dry, hot two-way road in the south of France, driving solo (no trailer) an approaching Renault Espace had a blowout and slewed sideways in a cloud of blue smoke, crossing our half of the road sideways and out of control. I slammed on the brakes invoking the ABS and steered in the minimum space available to avoid a nasty impact. The narrow vehicle width and ABS gave the ability to steer on full braking and saved our lives I believe. Illustrating an advantage, it is nippy and can get into and out of narrow gaps and is light enough when fully loaded to be capable of being brought to a halt safely. The 4X4 capability will pull a loaded camping trailer up a wet grassy field with ease. What more could you ask for? I echo all the positive comments stated in other commentaries so will not repeat specific data suffice to say that the Terios SX is a good buy and is not given the credit it really deserves by the motoring press. It may not have the hill descent control and low ratio gears, but what t

David Lowe, Derbyshire, July 21st 2007

SX 5dr

The Terios handles superbly, has little body roll, even at speed. It corners as though on rails. You feel the car being tugged into corners, and pushed out of them. Very reassuring. In the dry the handling and driveability is faultless, in the wet it is rarely less good, though it can be upset by poor surfaces. The engine's smooth, delivers power evenly and with the minimum of noise and fuss. The power's delivered slightly on the high side, which results in the need to change down more often. Though at speed it is more than adequate to power the car to high speed. Fuel economy, At 70 mph on the flat it is possible to be purring along the road at 37 to 38 mpg. If you drive with care and limiting top speed to 60 mph, the car will return up to a remarkable 47 mpg. The range is at least 330 miles plus per tankful, however driven. Accomodation, I am 6ft 3in tall, and get a comfortable fit in the front seats, and can even sit directly behind my seat, at that setting, in comfort. I particularly like the ability to recline the rear seat back rest. The boot space, is large and easily loaded, thanks to the wide opening rear door, visibilty being enhanced by the lack of intrusion of the spare wheel. The designers, have made a car which appears to supply the holy grail, comfort, ability and economy all in a remarkably small package. In short one of the best cars I have ever owned. Well worth considering if you like good handling and a high driving position.

John McCulloch, East Dunbartonshire, June 16th 2007

SE Auto 5dr

This car took me by complete surprise, I expected it to be completely rubbish, but remarkably it was a complete joy to drive. Looking at the exterior the first impressions were β€œIt’s a mini Toyota RAV4!” This similarity with the Toyota soft-roader is certainly not unattractive and the influences from Daihatsu’s co-developer have also been demonstrated with the overall build quality. The general drive is comfortable and refined. The driving position is very comfortable and the on-road handling, for such a tall car, is surprisingly good. This type of car would obviously be better suited to a diesel engine. (I hear rumours of Toyota’s 1.4 D-4D engine, being introduced in the future?) The introduction of a diesel engine would also improve fuel economy and provide extra torque for the permanent 4WD transmission. The lack of cruise control (even as an option) is disappointing in this day and age and a front central armrest would greatly improve comfort for long motorway stints. If this car had a punchy, economical diesel engine and a few features to improve comfort for longer journeys I would personally buy one tomorrow. For the rest of the UK though, I suggest Daihatsu do what they have apparently done in the Far East and have blessed the car with a diesel engine it deserves and have badged the car as a Toyota to reassure the brand snobs. This car would surely then sell serious volume, supposed to the relatively few cars currently sold to oddball car buyers.

adam padamsey, derbyshire, December 18th 2006

SX 5dr

I recently purchased the SX and have been pleasantly surprised by the whole experience so far, despite the doom and gloom expert reviewers. For the money, you can't ask for any more. The high ride is super and I have yet to experience any really hard choppy rides or body roll after going over pot holes or around corners. The car will not be going off-road, but the four-wheel-drive will hopefully come into its own during the winter. After 1000 miles, I average 34.2mpg but that is purely driving back and fore to work and short runs - it will get a better average during summer hols on longer run,s hopefully. The interior is quite comfortable and there's plenty of room. Yes, there is noise whilst accelerating, but it's not excessive at 70mph. I am not a boy racer and the performance is suitable to me. I did own a previous Terios (1998 S-Registered) - I was quite satisfied with that, then changed back to family car. The time came to go high again and this Terios has again fitted the bill. This is a much improved version from the 1998 model, and if you're looking for a cheaper 4x4, you really can't go wrong with this.

Paul Rees, August 3rd 2006

SX 5dr

I recently took a Terios out for a test drive. Now admittedly, the car I drove hadn't been fully run in, so the engine might not have been as lose as it might have been, but nonetheless I was pleasantly surprised. The Terios seems to be a well made little car with plenty of room for passengers and luggage, certainly considering the overall dimensions. The engine seems quite willing to rev highly, and it feels quick enough up to around 60mph, although I suspect that it may begin to run out of a steam a little after that. The controls are very light around town, but the stearing is also fine at higher speeds. The ride quality is decent (I think better than the likes of the Hyundai Tucson, for example). My two issues with the car are as follows: 1) Cruise control is not available, even as an option, which in this day and age is hugely disappointing. 2) The manual gear box is set too low down to be comfortable, and it is also a very small gear knob, which I suspect may take some getting used to. However, I was pleasanly surprised by just how good it was. In the end I decided to spend more money and buy something bigger, but for a small 4x4 I think this would take some beating.

Fredrik Rich, West Yorkshrie, August 2nd 2006

Sport 5dr

It is a lovely car to drive in the city. You sit high, so there is no boring factor while you're stuck in traffic. It has a very willing engine, although it takes some time to reach 60mph.

emre atilla, September 22nd 2005

Sport 5dr

My one is DVVT type ... in terms of power it's not bad - compares with some 1.5cc cars.

Hactor Tan, Seri Kembangan, June 23rd 2005

Tracker 5dr

I have owned this car from new for one year now. In this time I have covered 17,000 trouble-free miles. I usually get 35mpg when driving it normally. Handling can be a challenging, especially when driven fast, but it is not as hair raising as some testers would have you believe. Top speed can be as much as 95mph and it can mix it quite well when involved in the ususual daily traffic lights grand prix. Inside it is quite comfortable, although some of the switch gear is a little cheap and not always place in an ideal position. A sunroof wouldn't go amiss either. My standard air-con is a blessing in the summer. The cabin is no more noisy than other superminis at motorway speeds. Off road it shows quite good ability. I have taken it on green lanes and up muddy inclines in the rain and it didn't falter. Overall I feel that for the price it is a fantastic little motor. Daihatsu should be applauded for this very fine effort.

Andrew Oliver, Cheshire, February 21st 2005

Sport 5dr

I had this car for five years, and had no problem at all, for two people it is very good.

Snorre Knudsen, February 9th 2005

Tracker 5dr

Higher fuel consumption !

Mat Perodua, February 4th 2005

Sport 5dr

Road noise is not bad. Bit small in the cabin but overall not a bad 4x4. A factory-fitted standed alarm would do allot for this car's overall appeal.

Glen Thompson, January 9th 2005