Dodge Caliber 4x4 Owner reviews

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

okay, have driven my brothers car while he was away on his hols, the car cut out on the motorway ... all electric down, no idea why, after a few minutes its up and running again, having read ALL the reviews am not too keen on actually buying one of these, i know my brother had problems when he first owned it and got no help from the dealership. Also the side bars - no idea what their proper name is - the bars at the sides of the windowscreen are very thick and can block your view of any traffic coming from the right or left at a roundabout. I think this is a miss for me.

I. Bradwell, February 4th 2009

SXT 5dr CVT Auto

This car is amazing it has everything you want from a car and more speed, acceleration, looks and more gadgets you can shake a stick. only bad points is that it dont like pot holes. i will definetly be buying a dodge again

andrew edwards, pembrokeshire, January 12th 2009

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

Read the official review? Forget every word. This car is absoultely fantastic! Sure its a lot of plastic - but have you ever driven an American car before? I had a 06 BMW 120i before this and it rattles the hell out of that and anything a boy racer can throw at you. Buy one and you wont regret it!

chris gleeson, November 2nd 2008

CRD SE 5dr

Ok, I did as promised in a previous review - I bought a CRD-SE. Owned now for 9 months, 12000 miles, and I have to say I'm really happy with it. MPG between 43 and 53 depending how I drive it, and at legal speeds its smooth and relatively quiet. Ft & finish standing up ok, its roomy, adaptable, and shallow as it may seem, turns heads. Faults, yes - a couple. Rear light suffered from condensation, and there's a knocking noise from the rear suspension on jiggly roads - both due for repair this week, except somebody pulled out on me last week, so now it needs the bodyshop first... Parts available within a week. Not bad for a rare car, I think. Dealer, Kings Swindon - great, quantum leap over Citroen. Verdict? If you fancy something different, take a look!!!

George Alty, Wilts, October 26th 2008

SXT 5dr

Got one of these at the begining of April 2008, I just looked like what I wanted and it had all the equipment I required. The Boston Acoustics 6 CD MP3 9 Speaker setup is superb and worth getting as an option. I've been getting so many looks from other motorists and pedestrians, I feel like a superstar. I love the chunky feel to the interior equipment and I find the carbon effect quite pleasing. Unfortunatly though, I too have an electrical problem, From what I can see when revs fall bellow 500rpm it stalls, sitting at 1000rpm on a slight incline at clutch slip point the revs start occelating up'n'down 500rpm without doing anything, letting the clutch out a small amount causes it to stall, giving any gas to compensate and it wheelspins. I've emailed the service department but they`ve still to reply. On the open road this car is a dream but under 10mph (heavy traffic), it'll drive you crazy, I've noticed the other day that while I changed lane on a congested motorway the engine just cut out without warning, this also dissables the power steering, so while I depressed the clutch to allow me to restart (strange security measure!), I needed to press the brake to stop me rolling into the car infront and give it some gas to start, I'd also to wrestle the steering with one hand while the other fiddled with the key. Arghhhh!!!!

Alan Barclay, May 7th 2008

SXT 5dr CVT Auto

I really wanted a Chrysler 300C but they are still too new and out of my price bracket. It was while visiting a Chrysler dealer that I became interested in the Caliber range. I looked for a diesel SXT but I couldn't do a decent deal on my 2004 p/x. I did, however, see a black SXT sport petrol model at a local dealer and it looked the business. I got a good p/x offer and I bought it the next day. 2 months and 2,000 miles down the line, I am very satisfied with the car. On a trip to Edinburgh, I got 35 mpg, round town normal driving, just over 30, although it did drop to 27mpg on one tankfull where the journeys were all local. These figures, by the way, are real - not just on the on-board computer (which is pretty accurate anyway). The gearbox is very smooth and you get about 33mph/1000 revs whilst cruising. I find the car quiet and the stereo is absolutely first class with 9 speakers. The point about American plastics is probably fair but somehow with the bright red dash and seats on the Sport, it all comes together without looking cheap. Certainly just a bit flashy, I will admit Reliabilty so far has been 100%, but it is early days. Service intervals are a bit shorter than some European cars and I do hope the dealer network has all the spares in stock, but time will tell.

John Ferguson, Bucks, April 2nd 2008

CRD SXT 5dr

Bought the car in November 2007 an ex demo model as waited much too long for the original new car to arrive. Promised a reliable car.. Approx 2 months after on a long journey car broke down due to electrics. Had to be towed back, long journey. Shortley after I took the car in as clutch felt funny. Advised clutch okay as it has a bit of give, in case people ride the clutch, so I was told by dodge. 2 weeks later clutch went and had to be towed in. Now Feb 08 car started to shudder. Again towed in and injector no 3 replaced.Delivered back but had anther noise. Advised by Lancaster it was okay and to book it in. Following day car was towed in again with same problem as previous. After 2 weeks advised car completely contaminated and approx price to repair Β£5000.00 plus labour. No contamination reported at petrol garage and insurance engineer advised mechanical fault.. Dodge still say contamination debate still goes on... most unreliable car we have owned.

lesley young, essex, March 23rd 2008

CRD SXT 5dr

Oh lord! This car is SO much fun to drive. I am only five foot and was initially intimidated by the size but (after making a few seat adjustments with the very handy levers) I was up and away!! I have previously owned Nissans for 12 years, so this was quite a departure but I am gald to say (so far) it was a wise move... The car was bought from new and has been ours since the beginning of March 2008, but first impressions have been really good. As stated, it does turn heads (the front and rear lamps do make others take a second look) and I've even had guys trying to read the make from behind at traffic lights! Ok, so it's early days but all I can say is it handles really well, pulls away mean and doesn't let you down when you need to make a quick start! Yay the Dodge!!!

Annette Neville, Kent, March 12th 2008

CRD SXT 5dr

I purchased this vehicle on saturday 8/3/2008 although we have only had it a few days now,we are well inpressed with the preformance,comfort and general appearance of it,everybody turns to take a second look at it when we are out and about,my wife is only five foot tall and enjoys driving it,such a change from our Renault Laguana of which we reported on before which cost us nearly two thosand pounds in repair bills over the last twelve months,what a change to have a car that looks good and hopefully will give us good service,having worked in the garage trade i am familiar with our local chrysler dodge dealers and know that they have an excelent reputation as a family owned buisness,may we have many happy miles of motoring with our new caliber.

David Gilman, Staffordshire, March 10th 2008

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

I have owned this car for about 18 months. After an initial problem with the turbo, which was dealt with on the same day (a Sunday)after phoning the dodge'hotline' number I had been given I have had no issues with reliability or performance. I am averaging about 18,000 miles per year, mostly motorway, and have not had a breakdown with the car returning good mileage (averaging about 45mpg). The only issue I had was with a puncture. There appears to be only one manufacturer that makes a tyre to fit the wheels I have (18") which had to be ordered as no-one carried stock (even the dealership), and was about twice the price of a tyre I had purchase for my previous car, a 4x4. Generally I am happy with the car but don't know if I would buy another one.

Steven Hale, February 21st 2008

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

Update from my last review 05/12/2007 .... my car once again broke down on the m69 mid-late December 2007. Lucky enough I went on my hols the day after so no need of a car over xmas, this time to be sure the dealers replaced the whole engine! it came back in time for the new year and up to now, its okay however to summerise: since buying this car from new it has broken down three times and totally spoilt my opinion of the car and dealership. Rubber matts for the inside of the car were promised when buying - no joy there and not expecting any either. Can't wait to get rid of it.

D Shorte, January 29th 2008

SE 5dr

From an American car I would expect comfort, reasonable reliability, safety, an air conditioner that really works and longevity, but I would not expect sharp handling and a firm ride. So far the Dodge Caliber meets my expectations: I spend much on my time on the M11, M25 and M4, where crisp handling and roadholding matter not one jot, but having nine speakers, chilled drinks and an effective air-conditioner do. Thumbs up for the low cost (I negotiated a discount when the target price equalled the list price), individual looks, comfort, room in the back and good words from my children. One loves the 'bad boy' looks. Thumbs down for the tinny doors, notchy gear stick and heavy clutch. It also joins an exclusive club of 2 cars I have owned in 30 years that have not broken down in the first 10,000 miles - unlike most British and every German and French car I have had.

David Jones, December 11th 2007

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

I have had this car for just over two months, brought it brand new from the showroom. Nice car until it broke down on the M69 over a month ago. Not too sure why because even tho the garage had my car for three and a half weeks they only rang once, something about the turbo, wasn't really explained. Anyway i got my caliber back, had it for three not eventfull days until it broke down again ..... on the m69, i wonder if cars dont like that motorway! this time i had it back within 48hours, why had it broken down? no idea. Fingers crossed its okay now but for those looking to buy one, beware you have been warned oh and don't expect any standard of service from the dodge group.

d shorte, December 5th 2007

CRD SE 5dr

Fun fun fun!!! There is nothing else to say about this car. As stated the looks will either win you or not but can i just say how much of a smile it gives me everytime i see or get into it. over here in ireland they are still an unknown and heads turn everywhere. Ok not up to scratch on some items like plastics but for the price you really are getting a belter. Cant say enough, what a car!

mark sutcliffe, laois, September 5th 2007

CRD SE 5dr

I have had this car for about two weeks now. After 1000 miles it's better then I thought. Fair enough, a Focus is better in corners (maybe that's a problem with high profile tyres?) but overall it gives a good ride. Maybe 18" wheels and bit lower profile tyres will make some difference. Anyway, comfort of the ride is very good. The engine is FAB. 0-60 in a diesel at under 9sec! Turbo lag is not a big problem. It's a bit noisy, but most of that is from the tyres. 45-46 mpg (half on motorway) is good. Nearly 500 watts of music power its brilliant. Everytime i get in, I feel good! Quality of interior not best(Americans!) but well built. Look for ex-demo models. Mine cost about Β£2500 less than new prices. Β£2500 for about 3000 miles is a lot of money! It's still under 2.5yrs warranty and recovery. Really worth buying!!!

Jakub Slusarczyk, East Sussex, August 14th 2007

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

Well, I'm up to 20K miles in my first year with the yank and its great fun! I guess, I could go on about the good points but I already stated these in my previous report. The bad news? Well, these 18" tyres are an absolute nightmare to buy. I had a puncture and finding a replacement was took a week. I think its ridiculous Chrysler Dealers don't stock them! Prices ranged from Β£140 - Β£190 so watch out for rip offs. They last though, I'm never kind on tyres and these boots lasted 18K on the rear. The fronts are faltering so will be replaced soon. The car hasn't put a foot wrong though and we all love it. The major grumble I have concerns the service intervals. 9K is very low for a VW TDI drivetrain. I appreciate the fact its wise to get a service this often but the price is steep. Again, just an oil service ranged from Β£160 to Β£230. The Purchase might be cheap but the running costs aren't... Depreciation? Frustratingly dire, but thankfully I can hand my car back to Dodge and walk away, but at the moment it will be a sad day when I do. Highly recommended!

Steve Milsom, July 5th 2007

CRD SXT 5dr

I have had the 2.0 CRD SXT for a little over 6 months and done over 5000 miles and its been a joy to drive. The looks of the car and the colour mines black make other drivers stop and ask you all sorts of stuff relating to the car and not once have I had a negtive feedback from anyone. If you are thinking of buying a Caliber and have read the so called experts report you might be put off but do not be the car is well worth the money

Robert Barratt, Notts, May 28th 2007

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

I've owned my Caliber for two months now and it's been a constant fight, every morning before work, with my wife over whether I take it or she does. Fortunately I usually win the argument because she has to drive through town (lower fuel economy) and also parks in a questionable area of town. Basically I can barely fault this car: it looks great (it's surprising how many people come up and talk to you about it); it has a comfortable drive (I was expecting more roll from the high ride height); it has good equipment levels (the music gate system is a must); and fuel economy is OK as long as you stay out of town. The only down side is the dashboard looks cheap due to the acres of plastic on show. If you're looking for a family car that looks good but different, is comfortable to drive, is well specified for the price and gives good performance (diesel) then try the Dodge Caliber.

Ian Cuthbert, May 25th 2007

CRD SXT Sport 5dr

I like this motor being different..It's got away from the European style..It's like America..Big,Bold and Brash. My local dealer was very good with demo's, explanations and test drives. The Only thing that could not seal the deal was the COST. Twice the price of the same vehicle in the Sates.. For that price I could have ordered a RHD fully spec'd Caliber in New York, flown over there, driven it for a week and shipped it back as used..paid import duty AND SAVED MONEY even after changing the headlights.. Come on get real on the Price.Its only $16,000 in America (being generous that's Β£9,143 here{generous exchage rate of $1.75 to the pound}) Try again Dodge..

Martin Robbins, Lincolnshire, May 11th 2007

CRD SXT 5dr

Caliber CRD SXT, well what a car talk about make you feel special every time you drive it Has to be one of the best cars i have ever driven ,if you are out there thinking should i ,well yes DO-IT buy one. Things i got on mine, music gate (Excellent well worth the cash)Heated seats(well good) ,Leather upholstery looks the business and all the standard gear such as air con , electric windows , electric mirrors oh and a heated rear demister, i also got chrome pins and handles (they also look good).(This list isn't exhaustive and i could go on but you guys know the rest) #Well down to business when i first saw my car in the black i was taken aback it looks the business very strong looking and very eye catching (you will get conversations with strangers in car parks and fuel stations). The driving which i thought would be full of body roll is dreamy and quiet and suprisingly grippy considering the cars height. With very little noise intrusion into the cab unless you are accelerating hard in which case it sounds good any way (i know its a diesel but it really has a hard working engine note which is kinda satisfying ) In summary : If you want a car that looks goes and drives like a million dollars but is fully loaded and won't break the bank . This is the car for you , in a way i wish i could keep it a secret because i enjoy being one of the few privileged on the road that have gone against the norm and been rewarded for it

George Newton, May 2nd 2007