Dodge Journey MPV Owner reviews

CRD SXT

I have just had a 24 hour test drive It's spacious enough for my family (one large teenager and two still on booster seats) althrough the centre seat of the middle row is to narrow to fit a booster seat the third row is very easy to use and quite roomy. Drives OK, its best on wide A roads where it soaks up bumps and rides well but it feels bigger than it is and a bit ponderous on bendy country roads. There is no load cover to hide your luggage with the third row down, with the 3rd row up you get a bit of cloth with elastic on it to hide the remaining small luggage space. The steering wheel obscures the instrument cluster, however you adjust the steering wheel you only get a clear view of the speedo. I found the drivers seat to be quite hard. The diesel engine was quite noisey and you could hear it at all speeds, the automatic 6 speed gearbox was OK on the open road but in town and on slower roads it held on to lower gears to long, this may be why the average fuel consumption was indicated at 26mpg over a mix of town, country and 'A' road driving, there is a manual over-ride though. I would buy one as it fulfilled my criteria of offering MPV space without looking like an MPV, however the dealer wouldn't offer any discount as the model was to new Instead I got a Chevrolet Captiva, its just as spacious and it cost me Β£5k less to change than the Dodge. In conclusion the Dodge Journey is OK but it has a few faults and is overpriced.

Andrew Hutchinson, September 9th 2008