16V Active 5dr

Have driven this car for six months. Nothing really special about it. I purchased this instead of a van as I sometimes have boxes etc to carry. In general in is fairly ordinary and nothing special. I do have two real gripes. (1) The consumption is apalling when you consider the hype FIAT put out. My general average is 40 MPG and if I do constant runs it returns 43.9. (2) Fiat after sales service is non existant. I live in Kent and when I questioned Fiat main office they referred me to the local fiat people at Ashford. Might as well be talking to the wall. Could not care less would be an apt description. Overall I would not purchase another fiat.

john toomey, Kent, August 29th 2013

Multijet Active 5dr

Love this car! best combination of space/running costs/price currently in the uk market!-Big statement I know but do the sums yourself. Previously owned new vw touran (boring)and overpriced. Fantastic all round vision and high seating give sense of security in doblo.My daughter passed driving test with it and can afford to be insured in it-Group 4 only! All servicing and maintenance costs v cheap plus 1.3 multijet engine a gem why do you think ford and vauxhall are using it!!!!!!!!!

mark gallagher, cumbria, January 6th 2009

Multijet Dynamic 5dr [120]

I've had my Doblo from new for nearly 3 years now. It is a veritable hanger on wheels, it will carry just about anything and still have space left over. Can't really fault its fuel economy, I found the handling a bit strange at first but soon got used to its quirks. Only two things have really let it down - the poor quality of some of the interior fittings and the poor aftersales service. The latter especially was annoying as living out in the wilds of Scotland and having to travel 65+ miles to the nearest Fiat dealer only to be treated as a nuisance was especially annoying.

David Mapley, Wigtownshire, January 3rd 2009

Multijet Dynamic 5dr

we bought our doblo 3 years ago after owning a scenic although it,s not as good looking it is much more practical and very easy to drive 43.9 mpg around town and up to 49 mpg on a run is good for vehicle of this size so far no problems we are looking towards next year when fiat bring out a new doblo

keith poole, west midlands, December 20th 2008

8V SX 5dr

Sad to say I have just ordered a new car and NOT a doblo. I have loved having one - it is quirky and practical and very easy to spot in a crowd. But a word of warning, in the last 5 1/2 years I have had 2 new exhausts, a new heater, something leaking in the braking system, 6 new tyres, a clutch problem where I had to hook the clutch up with my foot, a grinding noise in the damp, a new theromstat and finally ... a new head gasket at vast expense. This is the final straw, especially as I know there is some problem with the fuel feed as the light keeps coming on and also heater number 2 is extremely noisy so probably likely to fail over the winter. I'm pretty sure there have been some other faults but I can't remember what they were. Unfortunately my super doblo has to go in favour of something far more ordinary but hopefully more reliable. I intended to keep this car running for as long as possible as I was really happy with it, but I just can't put up with a car in which I no longer have confidence. I haven't run the vehicle really hard and have had regular services and would love to be able to recommend the doblo - but I can't any more.

Philippa Shaw, November 1st 2008

JTD Dynamic 5dr

Quite simply, this is the best car I have owned. Chuck anything in it, bomb down the motorway (120bhp version is a beast) and take it all back out again. Although most of my friends have taken the mickey out of it once we go away for a weekend camping in Europe or just a day trip to Bluewater, it really comes into its own. It's excellent to just jump in and out of during the day, it makes an excellent picnic wagon for day trips, things just disappear in the boot, and it has a fantastic driving position - it has 4x4 style without the stigma. The 1.9 120bhp is an excellent engine - it's very quiet when you are inside but with enough power to keep ahead of the traffic, whilst returning massive mpg! I have just done 60,000 miles with no problems - only routine maintenance has been needed It's very tough, inside and out. A lot of my friends have taken the mickey out of it, but after scooting away for the day in it, or just a medium drive in the very spacious interior, they are all impressed. In a sane world, this car really would dominate. As for the styling, I like the fact that it is not trying to be anything but a box on wheels - it is unashamedly quirky and far better-looking than the alternatives! If you are thinking of buying this car, or an alternative, then hire it for a week, live your life using it, then go for a day trip - then try living without it! Most of the engines are fine, but avoid the 1.4 petrol and stick to the fine diesel.

Simon Gardner, May 13th 2008

8V Active 5dr

Hi all i love the look of this car and also like the space, it would suit our family , but the only downside is, do they do a automatic version as i can only drive auto's and as far as i can see they all come in manual??, why is that does anyone know and if you know can you let me know, also if anyonee knows they come in a auto. thanks , great car!!

Debbie Petherick, surrey, April 16th 2008

Multijet Dynamic 5dr

RIP my Doblo. Burnt out after 18months(arson) and 30k miles. Best car I have ever driven. Never done less than 44mpg average 54 had up to 68. Comfortable( easy to get in and out a godsend with a bad back) highly practical. Only long waiting list stops me from ordering another. Was able to fit a mobile music and video studion in the boot with load cover on. Only downside was the main dealer in Swansea. Hopeless no courtesy cars long wait and didnt even stock an spare alternator belt!!!! very good sound system ideal for blasting out newly created CD's in outside Music Workshops. I would reccommend one of these to anyone. Have driven berlingos etc but nothing to touch it. No beauty contest winner but neither am I! Would only change 2 things. passenger armrest for front seats and a thinner windscreen pillar

Andy Vollans, W Glam, March 12th 2008

Multijet Family 5dr

Something is wrong here. In a sane world this car should be on its way to world domination, whilst in practice the kids and I play 'Spot the Doblo' on a 500 mile round trip and the winner is the one who, er, spots the Doblo. (Vans don't count.) The entire idea of a 1.3 diesel for a 7 seater should be ridiculous, but it is a smooth engine, nicer than the 1.9 IMO, a decent drive apart from the perennial problem about Italian cars and pedal positions, and overall probably cheaper than walking. We bought ours when my wife gave up a company Mazda6. My Doblo shopping list was diesel, 7 seats, aircon -talk about hen's teeth! But we found one 80 miles away, 2 years old, 18k, from a nice man in Colchester who opened his garage on a Sunday to sell it to us. In our house it's now the 'hockey bus' and greatly cherished.

David Johnston, Surrey, February 25th 2008

Multijet Dynamic 5dr [120]

I have only praise for this car, it is the most reliable I have ever owned over the years. I previously owned a 1.9 JTD ELX which I had for 3 years from new and it never missed a beat. I replaced it a year ago with the new version with the 120hp engine , which does give better performance, particularly when towing , but the trade off is greater fuel consumption, though I still return 43mpg in normal running, 32 mpg when towing the caravan, so I am perfectly happy. There is loads of space in it, easy access with the excellent sliding rear doors and it can be loaded up comfortably for holidays or removals I find the driving position very good due to being seated higher which also gives great visibility. My wife loves it because it was cheap to buy, and running costs are low. I have also found my local dealer to provide great service and cannot complain about them. The only thing I can wish for, is that Fiat bring out a version with a higher towing limit, it is currently 1300kg (braked trailer), which is fine just now, but if I wanted to change the caravan in the future, it restricts choices that can be safely towed. As I said, it tows my current caravan beautifully just now.

Brian Downie, Ayrshire, January 27th 2008

JTD Dynamic 5dr

With a vehicle like this you always have to remember its not and never will be a sports coupe. You have to look at it as a van and nothing else and by doing that you really appreciate the Doblo for what it is. There isn't vasts amount of performance but thats not what you want it for. You will never look cool but thats not what you want it for either. Where the Doblo wins hands down like no other vehicle Ive ever driven is practicality. It feels light and agile around town. You can jump in and out all day long without feeling like your back is about to give out. and there is enough boot space to hold a pool contest and thats before you drop the back seats. I have to drive a Doblo wheelchair vehicle every day and cant help but feel the robustness in the build quality. The dash is chunky, the doors have a nice clonk, the rear seat is solid yet easy to fold. Sure it does have bad points like:- The windows don't wind down all the way. The rear doors and over complicated to open an shut. The sunvisor blocks your vision but not the sun. And the ride is pretty bad for passengers but as a driver you will hardly notice this. But because there is so much space in the cabin as a passenger you will feel like your being taken for a spin in your local village hall. But don't let these details detract from the fact that the Fiat Doblo is a friendly, light, agile vehicle thats desperately trying to be more like a car. And I'm sure this Doblo is more Diablo then Dumbo......

Alex Ethridge, Somerset, December 28th 2007

JTD SX 5dr

Our Doblo was purchased new and have now had it 5 years. It was purchased with practicality in mind as we had a dog and were planning to have children. Our initial expectation weren't high but we have been pleasantly surprised how well it has aquitted itself. Sliding doors make getting kids in and out of their child seats a doddle espcially in tight spaces. The child seats themselves fit very well. A table was constructed for the boot meaning that a full size pram and chassis goes underneath and our medium dog goes on top. The tailgate is high enough to shelter under!! It is pleasant to drive with its well suited 100bhp JTD engine. It tows a caravan pretty well too. Steering is quick and precise. Handling is also pretty good considering its height. Visabiliy is great except at T junctions. Road noise is highish at m/way speeds but easily tolerable. Fuel economy is low to mid 40's. Scraped 50 once. Its main journeys are Mway, A road, followed by stop start traffic into a town centre. Quibbles?.It Needed a voltage regulator replacing under warranty. Front tyre wear on inside walls. Having said that I did close to 20k on one set. A wiper mechanism failure and it has needed a pricey exhaust centre section. Servicing at dealers was high but is ok at independants. It has just had is 5th year service inc cambelt change and I hope that the next 5 years prove to be just as painless.

Matthew Myerscough, November 26th 2007

Multijet Active 5dr [120]

I have had this car for two years and I am really pleased with it,like one of the other reviewers we also call ours "the van" which is a fair comment as it looks van shaped,I am a postman and I drive a van(Ford Transit Connect)all day but I much prefer the Doblo It is the diesel model and does 50 - 56 on a long run,front tyres lasted 12,000 mls.not bad considering how many roundabouts we have.I like the high driving position not only for the view of the road but also for the ease of getting in and out. Had a full service at the HI-Q GARAGE FOR Β£140 Only wish it had an Automatic gearbox. Only complaint my wife has is that the front passenger seat is not very comfortable on a long run,I find no problem driving at all, the armrest is small but adequate,all in all a good reliable motor.

ronald leyshon, carms, May 28th 2007

JTD Dynamic 5dr

I have owned a 02 Fiat Doblo Cargo van 1.9 jtd for about five years and in that time I have had to replace the drive shafts and diff four times almost once a year due to some problem with the power of the engine transmitting it to the road. 100bhp. The gearbox strips all splines off the drive shafts and then snaps the diff in three places under normal driving conditions, you start from the lights normaly and then the drive shafts pop out of the gearbox with no warning. Apart from that it has been a very good van and has not let me down in any way. Works very hard day after day as a landscaping van. (p.s. does not have a hard life, a few plants carried etc) Does anyone have any idea what the problem is, Fiat does not but if you type the problem into google and the results show that many people have had the same problem. thanks

craig smith, March 12th 2007

Multijet Family 5dr [120]

this has got to be the biggest pile of junk fiat have made. fuel comsumptions is poor 24.5 mpg combined. front brake pads and discs have been replaced twice in 7000 miles done 11000 miles now need replacing again easiest way i found was get rid of the car. i bought a fiat punto 1.3 multijet - anything has to be better than that doblo. i was going to put a sunroof in my doblo and use it as a skip! wish i never bought it and when ppl say 'mine does 40+mpg' that is rubbish i never got near that even free wheeling

christopher evans, cornwall, March 5th 2007

Multijet Dynamic 5dr

We have owned this car now for nearly two and a half years. Overall it has been a good buy and we will definitely consider a new one. About 80% of our driving is around town, with journeys lasting approx 15 minutes and our fuel consumption is usually 38mpg, which is right on the button, according to FIAT's figures. Our services have so far cost around Β£150 and Β£250, but our third year's service bill is likely to be in the region of Β£500, (five hundred pounds!!!). What's going on? This is supposed to be a budget car and up to now this has been the case, but Β£500? Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to lower my servicing bill without losing my warranty? Fiat say any dealer that conforms to their sevicing schedule and uses genuine FIAT parts will do, but I am otherwise really happy with our local dealer,(Autoworld in Chesterfield).HELP!!

Richard McLoughlin, South Yorkshire, February 23rd 2007

JTD SX 5dr

We have had the Doblo for over three years and are now trading in for another Fiat. It has been a very practical car - it helped us move house, took us on frequent trips from the south-west to the south-east, moved our son to university, transported our elderly parents around and has even been a kennel! It has never let us down on all the journeys we have done. We have found the upright position of the seats to be excellent, especially on long journeys. visual driving view is very good, although we found with the double doors, the rear view was restricting. The car was used as a family vehicle and a work horse. It gave good all-round performance. It is reasonably economical with regards to fuel and insurance. The price for servicing at 12,000-mile intervals was high, because the tyres had to be replaced a few times, i.e. front wearing on inner sides. Due to the garage trying to rectify the problem, we did overcome the problem after two years. Within two years the rear suspension dampers had to be replaced, but this was not due to continuous heavy loads. We will miss the space and unrestricted feel of the Doblo.

Roy Jenkins-Packer, Cornwall, January 27th 2007

JTD Dynamic 5dr

Great car for the price, Having come down from a caravelle I appreciate van build quality. But the plastics are'nt VW spec. I got a very good price by buying just before a new plate and when sales numbers were of greater interest to the salesman than price. Niggles are squeeking windscreen wiper, rattle from somewhere near the back when pulling away. Other than that it is great to drive, very positive handling and good for long distances Edinburgh to London was a doddle. But do watch out on a windy day on the motorway! I can get 50mpg on a mixed run from london to Hastings by driving carefully but it goes down to 40mpg if I want to go a bit quicker. Good driving position and very adjustable drivers seat makes for comfy driving. Less of a van than earlier Doblos, but lets face it it does look a bit odd. But so am I. I love it.

Peter Gray, January 16th 2007

JTD SX 5dr

Known as 'the van', my Dobbin is now 5 years old and I'll either change it for another or keep it until it drops. It's done 83000 and hasn't been perfect but I've always forgiven it, even when it swallowed a valve from somewhere in the airbox and needed a new engine. Fiat dealers won't admit to this problem, but a 15,000 mile unit was sourced and off we went again. Needed a new clutch at 80000, has always eaten front tyres (wears on inner or outer edges - must be properly checked for tracking), interior plastics cheap, fabrics can wear and are difficult to keep clean but hey, it's 'the van'. Never does better than 45mpg but never less than 42! Great for French shopping trips, carrying all and sundry, but I reckon it needs more storage space despite what Fiat say. Standard fit radio is average! Stuff can fly out of roof storage bin unexpectedly! I'd really like a full length sunroof like a 2CV! Oh, the 4WD from the Brazilian version would be nice! Best thing? Complete and utter lack of image!

Alexander Murdoch, Kent, December 1st 2006

Multijet Family 5dr [120]

The drawbacks of the 7 seat model are lack of luggage space and the two rear seats are fixed together and are very heavy to lift in and out. We bought ours in August '06 and we had to fit a roofbox to go on holiday as we have 4 children. I would advise that you pay the extra and order one with factory fitted roofrails, not the cheaper roof bars that we bought as they're awkward for fitting a roofbox. Having said all this it's a lovely car to drive with the powerful 120 bhp diesel and it handles well too. We cruised down to the south of France at 80 to 90 mph with 6 in the car plus luggage for 2 weeks and still got 40mpg. Also, we haggled at the dealer and got Β£2,300 of the list price.

Richard Dewdney, November 3rd 2006