Multijet 85 GBT 5dr

Bought this car at the end of September with 1500 miles on the clock saving myself Β£4500 off the new price. I found it very hard to get one with the extras I wanted (rear park sensors,Blue & Me and cruise). In the end I found one with blue&me, rear park sensors and tom tom dashboard port. The one quibble I have is that on this otherwise well -equipped car these extras aren’t standard. I have put a further 5000 miles on the car and a 322 mile journey into London from Gloucestershire returned a fuel consumption checked brim to brim of an amazing 70.88 mpg. In day to day use I am getting around 64 mpg. The car is definitely starting to loosen up and has plenty of go from the little turbo diesel. My previous car was a 61 plate Mitsubishi Lancer Juro with the VW 140bhp diesel. This Punto is far quieter and has plenty of power for everyday use ( lots of motorway miles). There is adequate room for 4 adults and it is easy to manoeuvre and park. Build quality is a vast improvement on Fiats of yore. The stop start technology is easy to live with. The blue and me multimedia system is about the best I have used and the extra Β£240 I spent on the Tom Tom live sat nav was worth every penny as it totally interfaces with all the multimedia functions incorporated in the car. You can operate the phone and usb player from the sat nav. The sport suspension allows you to push this car around without being too hard a ride. With 5* NCAP rating this little car is a competent little workhorse.

Les Abbottt, December 6th 2012

3dr

Well what can i say.This little Punto was great as a first car it got me everywhere No it isn't the flashiest of cars but to me that didn't really matter.I did have a few problems with it.With the brakes as they were not very good but otherwise i did not have any problems with it.I work quite a long way away and the Punto seemed to handle well on the motorway but the suspension wasn't very firm but overall it was a great car so i would reccomend the Punto

Taneesha Yates, Warmas, July 31st 2012

Multijet Active 3dr

I have the auto model. Build quality is superb - no squeaks or rattles and everything is solid. I'm getting 46mpg (which, for an auto in a mountainous area, isn't bad). I'd say I'm in love but my wife might read this and get jealous.

Sam Graham, N Yorks, August 30th 2011

dr

I have owned a Mark One (not Mark Two) 1998 punto diesel for the last 9 years and at 100,000 miles thought a longterm review appropriate. Strong points: galvanized body, so only rust is the licence plate screws and the battery securing plate. Economy is 50mpg around town, and have had 61 mpg on a long gentle M-way trip. So far little has gone wrong (touch wood). battery lasted 6 years, still on the original steering rack, clutch & exhaust ! Not so good: Bumps are felt through the suspension, front is heavy so understeers, however the diesel torque and front weight mean it keeps going in snow and ice very well. It collects dents in supermarket car parks. Headlamps are a bit feeble. Its been serviced by my local garage for the last 7 years, and gets main & 2nd service every year. Non-service items so far: new radiator (died from road salt), 2 rear suspension arms (bushes went), 1 set of glowplugs, 1 new battery, rear brake actuators (seized), 1 pair of rear shocks. The rear door lock has stopped working & passenger side window always been slow but works ... in 10 years, I think thats not a bad score. Not an exicting car, but have found it to be simple and dependable. Will run it for maybe 4 more years, then get a Grande Punto Diesel.

Judith Armstrong, Herts, February 20th 2009

5dr

My car is 8 yrs old and only done 55,000 miles.I recently had problems with the power steering and the head gasket needing replacing resulting in a bill for approx Β£900.I contacted Fiat and asked for their comments and the reply was that this is not unusual for a car of this age and mileage.I can't believe they said this but can assure you it is a fact.Therefore I would suggest that if you want a good reliable runaround DO NOT BUY A FIAT.

David Todd, ESSEX, January 2nd 2009

Multijet HGT 3dr

I Have driven a Fiat Punto 1.9 Multijet HGT 3dr for 2 years and I have had endless problems with it even though it had only driven 13k miles. First to go was the clutch at 2k. After that, the suspension started rattling at 6k(a common problem)and I had to pay a fortune to get it fixed. When the engine and the power steering failed, and I had to fork out a lot of money to repair it, I thought enough was enough and so I sold it. Now I have got a Renault Clio V6 Renaultsport 255 3dr and I am very pleased with it. My advice is buy a Renault or a Volkswagen, definately not a Fiat!!!!!

Daniel Cheung, November 23rd 2008

5dr

"Low failure rates but costly bills for suspension - overall a good used car" Is what the whatcar review says. Myself and about 3 quarters of Punto drivers would no agree with that. My girfriend owned this car. She bought it second hand at 3 years old. The head gasket blew when driving across the forth road bridge. A new gasket and head skim later oh and not mention Β£500- still wasn't ok so forked out for a recon engine and fitment- Β£1000. All for a car worth a couple of grand. Plus sides are build quality seems good, very frugal on fuel and nothing much went wrong oh except the AIRBAG light. My advice- don't bother with the 1.2 8 valve. The head gasket will go, also does anyone have one with the airbag light ok?

Kieran Wood, Midlothian, October 28th 2008

16v ELX 3dr

i have owned a 1.2 elx punto on a 2000 plate for a little oer a year and cant fault it, the head gasket went not long from when i bought it however was cheap enough to repair due to the small but fiesty 8v engine, i bought the car on 75k now on 99 i have had a lot of miles out the car, it is economical on fuel and is extremley usefull for going round town , i have done 100 mile journeys in it and it has not missed a beat! looking at buying a 2007 one as i beleive that it is just as good!

matthew ramsbottom, lancs, October 4th 2008

3dr

I bought this 1.2 3dr Go model last October for me to run and for my daughter to learn in and take over when she passes her test.I have used it locally and for about five 400 mile round trips and really cant fault it.I have driven all sorts of cars and although it is a little gutless I would say it is a perfect first car.This one has had lowered suspension and some nice 17" alloys fitted.My daughter likes her bling and in black this car looks the business but is cheap to insure.I see all the negative feedback elsewhere on these cars but speak as I find and so far all is great.

Philip Holdsworth, North Yorks, August 25th 2008

16v Sporting 3dr

I currently own a Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting, and it's an X plate. I bought this car 2nd hand, and made sure that it had been looked after. I will NOT be buying another Fiat. Fix It Again Tommorrow is constantly in my mind every time i shell out another Β£100-Β£200 for another broken part. First to go was the exhaust, which had completely corroded through, so i went to get it replaced. Once replaced, it has never been the same since, as the brackets attached to the chasis are rusty, and it would mean drilling new brackets to repair, which would be around Β£300-Β£350, so no go there. Then the next to go was the sump, costing a rather heavy amount of money. Then i had a period of no problems, but now it's just ridiculous, as the petrol is leaking out from somewhere, and just yesterday the gearbox went. So i will NOT be buying another Fiat, DEFINATELY STEER CLEAR.

Robert Taylor, oxon, August 12th 2008

Multijet Active 3dr

Owned since new in April 2004 and has covered 65000 miles. Drive not particularly exciting as you would expect with this type of car and the quality is average at best. However this car has been exceptionally cheap to run. It has never let me down although the turbo was replaced under warranty at 15000 miles, a pipe worked loose from the turbo at around 50000 miles causing a loss of power and a sensor failed on the manifold at about 63000 miles. Servicing at a main dealer works out between Β£150 and Β£200 a go. Never fails to deliver less than 50mpg no matter how hard you drive. Very nippy and holds 90 on the motorway (im told!) with ease. No regrets with buying this car but will probably hang the cost and replace with something more exciting next year.

james hargett, london, August 2nd 2008

ELX 5dr

This car has good Mileage but maintance cost are high. In the 5 Months i had it, i had to fix the exhaust twice, and the wipers. the arm links break easily but you need to replace whole thing.The suspensionand head gasket went too. It's one of the only cars i would not recommend to buy

Seamie Kyne, July 22nd 2008

16V Active Sport 3dr

I owned a 1.2 16v Active Sport 54-reg for three years from brand new and had no problems at all with this car. It was a pleasant drive, with a comfortable interior, and relatively low running costs. I had no problems with the clutch or suspension and only had misfire problems after 50,000 miles, which was easily repaired. I will miss this car, but I have had to trade it in for a more practical family car due to the arrival of our first child. The car had plenty of grunt, was fast, held the road really well and would cruise on the motorway at 80-90mph without any problem. The Active Sport face-lift model also means it looked pretty good, too.

Craig Alewood, Co Durham, April 23rd 2008

16v Sporting 3dr

I have the Fiat Punto Sporting 16v in Yellow, on a 52-plate. It's my second car and I love it! It's attractive, the paintwork stands out a treat and the subtle yet sporty bodykit, alloys, side skirts and lower ride make it look fantastic. First, the very nippy 1.25-litre engine is great for the suburban streets of Bristol, and it does well on the A-roads too. I recently drove it for around half-an-hour on the motorway and before I knew it I was cruising at just under 120mph. The extra sixth gear really makes a difference on the motorway. However, ever since I got the car last year, I've experienced low fuel economy. I don't know why, I'm a reasonable driver and don't rev her irresponsibily. At the moment she's on 34mpg, and I recently had 29mpg straight from its MoT. I think it may just be a problem with my car, but this could be something to think about when purchasing it. I could be driving a 1.8 for the ammount of petrol that I'm putting in! The cabin is fantastic. Those sports seats are great, even for me and I'm very tall. I don't have the seat right back like I did in my Corsa. The leather steering wheel is very smooth and there's plenty of room in the back seats. Even the boot can take all of my college work comfortably. Overall, I would recommend this car, but I am aware that the Punto can suffer from major mechanical and electrical problems, so be prepared. If you want the great looks of a sport then go for the Punto Sporting, you'll be suprised how

Jordan Morse, South Glos, April 23rd 2008

5dr

I have owned a 1.2 (2001) for 2 years i have came across some costly repairs i.e ECU Unit (Β£300) but compairing it to similar sized vehicles the running costs and insurance costs seem to balance out. This car is easy to drive and handles quite well but the noisy suspension can drive you mad and unable to carry 4 passengers due to noisy suspension problem.

Laura Kay, Ayrshire, April 15th 2008

3dr

I owned at 2001 1.2 3dr model from new... I must have been mad. From the day of delievery, we had to take it back, because the latch for the rear seats didn't work... not a great start. After that It was one thing after another. I had the clutch replaced twice, and all under 36,000 miles! The second time, when the warranty had expired, they didn't believe, and told me not to drive it in the cold! The wipers juddered, and the motor was replaced. The interior started to come apart bit by bit. The car cost me Β£8000; I got a part-exchange of Β£1500 but sold it for Β£2500. As other people have said, don't by a Punto - the JD Power surveys don't lie.

KRISHAN KUMARASINGHE, WARWICKSHIRE, April 15th 2008

ELX 3dr

I have owned 3 Puntos. The first from new was a 1997 mark 1. This car had minor problems such as the driver’s seat cover coming away from the frame and the door rub strips coming off. The second, which I own and bought new, is a 1.9JTD. I bought this car new in 2000. It has now done 64000 miles and has had the following faults. Drivers seat replaced under warranty, power steering unit replaced under warranty,rear shock absorbers replaced under warranty, wiper blade motor replaced under warranty. There was also a knocking noise coming from the steering for which the garage replaced the steering rack and the steering box but never cured it even though every time I went to collect it form the dealer after the repair it still had the same fault. It had a new dashboard display which cost me Β£280 and today I have found out that the power steering unit needs replacing again but this time it's going to cost me Β£700. I also owned a 1.2 16v ELX which had a problem with the gear change, the dealer replaced the second gear which didn't solve the problem and eventually change the complete gearbox, this gearbox wasn't any better than the previous one so I traded the car in for a Honda Jazz. My Jazz has almost been faultless having only needed a new wheel bearing and egr valve replaced. So my advice to anyone even remotely considering buying any car which sports a Fiat badge is DON'T DO IT!

David Fearon, Wiltshire, April 5th 2008

3dr

I bought my 2002 Punto 6 months ago for Β£2000. As soon as I had the car I took it to a garage to get it serviced (by a family friend). I was assured that it was all fine...... After 2 months the problems started, in the last 4 months it has had a new fan, head gasket, cat converter, timing belt (x2!), clutch and gear box, alternator, repairs on the electrics and the power steering is now playing up. It has broken down twice whilst driving, once on a main road in Leeds at rush hour and once on the motor way!! (with no prior warning of any problems). My advice to anybody is DO NOT BUY A FIAT PUNTO. Whilst yes they are cheap to buy, relatively low running costs and low insurance the repairs and unreliability out weigh it. It has dropped loads in value and has had a small fortune spent on trying to repair it. My car is going very soon and I will be glad to see the back of it.

Helen Clark, West Yorkshire, March 31st 2008

3dr

Ive had my Punto Go (8V 1.2) for over two years, and I really do love it. I've run it from 14K to 45K and only had to replace the usual consumables. it has passed its last two MOTs with only the windscreen jet needing replaced. OK, the general quality might not be that of other cars, but these cars are cheap to buy and cheap to run, although admittedly, I've been lucky and had a gem of a car. The interior and exterior are quite funky. I'm upgrading to something more powerful next week... and I'm dreading trading my wee Punto in. I will miss the city button! Its looked after me well, and very economical for my 50-mile daily commute (getting 45-50mpg easily). I think its the luck of the draw with these motors.

Karrie Melville, March 18th 2008

3dr

i previously have ranted on here about the poor reliability of my old punto, and to conclude it died at 47 k on the clock :( i never drove this car particurly hard(never put me foot flat)and yet the engine sounded as if it had seen better days, although i was informed it is just how they sound, a quirk if you may. problems i had encountered included(in only 1 year); backfiring cutting out engine flat spots(complete loss of power) engine management on 4 occasions (required many new coil packs in a very short time) power steering went capoot! countless brake faults and i could go on about the smaller irrelivent things like build quality on the day a traded this car in it backfired 3 times and wouldnt start again on their fore court, serves them right haha but i am not the only person who has experienced these problems speeking to other fiends who have also made the dier mistake of purchasing a punto of the same shape i would advice many not to get his car as many of the faults i have mentioned are well known by dealers and they will obviously not tell you that on purchase. i am now the happy owner of a polo(far superior over any punto) which i would advice as it is actually cheaper on insurance(is in the same group) roughly the same on consumption if not better same tax and a fabulous drive and much faster even with the one less cylinder. although slightly more pricey but definately worth it

amanda fry, west sussex, March 6th 2008