TDCi Zetec 5dr

I have had my C-Max for 3 years now, it is 7 years old - I bought it with a low mileage and it is now on nearly 60,000. Following a disastrous experience with my old car (Passat) the C-Max was a breath of fresh air. It has only had two issues- a software glitch on the ECU (quickly remedied by Ford) and a split turbo hose on holiday (didn't stop the car driving). Overall reliability has been good. Engine performance (1.8 turbo diesel) is good although it is rough and rattly on cold mornings, taking a couple of attempts to start on occasion. Fuel consumption is about 46 - 47 mpg so not quite what Ford said but still good. Cabin is fine - not plush in any way but rugged enough and room for 3 kids (or a bike!) although the drivers seat does no creak around some corners and he trim isn't quite aligned. Overall I am pleased with this car - I will be trading it in soon for a new car, and may well go with C-Max again.

Hedley Thorne, Oxon, February 7th 2015

Zetec 5dr

Pretty average all around. Nothing is too expensive and the mpg's are decent if you check tyre pressures, etc. Had a 2008 version in 2011 and still had bang on the mpg's driving around. Does get a bit noisy when on the motorway but its not really designed for that. If I had to get an mpv again I would consider this

John Prescott, England, August 8th 2012

TDCi Titanium 110 5dr [DPF]

Now had it one year and what a mistake. One reason for buying was the advertised 60+ mpg, I average 43 and due to my job (Paid per mile) I am a very careful driver. Less fuel used more money on payday. No stowage space for things in cabin, Revs dip badly when pulling away. have stalled it due to loss of revs more times than my previous 51 years of driving. Folding up rear seats is positively primitive. Noisy engine and lots of wind/road noise.Full of silly voice activated items that you never use like Changing Temp., Changing Radio Freq. etc. I suppose the phone voice control is OK if you need to use your mobile a lot. No spare wheel of any type of course, had to buy one Β£165 and it does not fit in the boot properly. Altogether it is a pretty horrible car that I wish I never owned.

Tony Brown, Kent, March 4th 2012

TDCi Titanium 5dr

from the moment i took delivery of this car i loved it looks the part inside and out great driving position seats are very comfy.inside looks stunning at night and the whole car feels classy i have 'Active Park Assist' on the car which is just great yet again ford have done a great job its my six ford and i know which manufacturer i will be going to for my seventh.

stephen chandler, middlesex, December 20th 2011

EcoBoost Titanium 5dr

I have had this car less than a month so it is early days. I have done 400 miles and am currently getting 34.2 mpg I expect this to improve as the engine runs in and it is already higher than my previous diesel astra. This car was bought for practicality - leg room as we are a tall family but I have grown to love it over the short period of time and have now forgotten the desire to have something less practical but sporty. It drives as beautifully as BMWs I have had in the past. Has voice control, hands free phone, reverse parking, stop start and other features which would be added extras in many cars. The engine is beautiful pulls away amazingly well and I haven't pushed it yet. It is so quiet that I have gotten out of it and only when the car wouldn't lock (keyless starting) have I realised the engine was still running. At this stage I can't fault it other than cosmetic where there are one or two areas externally that collect the dirt (tound the lights and number plate area) and internally a few more useful storage pockets would be good ie for change. It is too early to tell whether reliability is going to be an issue but I have high hopes. I felt obliged to write a review because the reader reviews so far on this site do not seem to reflect the views of contributors to the cmax forum.

suzanne wells, November 12th 2011

TDCi Titanium 5dr

I have had the C-Max for about 3 months and unfortunately find it very disappointing. The worst aspect is the headrest, which is too far forward and cannot be adjusted. It is like having your head pushed forward and gently hit with every road bump. The longer the journey, the more uncomfortable it is. Other disappointments: Fuel consumption - nowhere near claimed figures and much worse then my last 2 cars (Scenic and Multipla). Power drops suddenly when pulling away making smooth driving difficult. SONY DAB radio - DAB operation not user friendly, sound is brash rather than good quality. Build quality - beneath the frippery and shiny bits, the quality and user friendliness of fittings falls well short of the Scenic and even the Multipla. Overall, a great disappointment and a choice I now regret making.

Robert Hayward, Warwickshire, November 6th 2011

Zetec 5dr

We purchased a 1.6 TDCi in February this year; from week one the keyless entry had a fault and kept coming up with a child lock fault. Our dealer informed us it was a known fault and they were waiting for a software fix from Ford, you can get in using the emergency key and start it on the button but the alarm sounds for about 5 seconds. After an eight week wait and it failing 10+ times the car went in to be fixed. Last night the fault returned and this time it had drained the battery so we had to call out the breakdown service. We have covered 3100 miles on A roads and dual carriageway, Ford claim high 60's MPG we are getting 44 at best, we'll see as the mileage goes up. Overall we have not been impressed, the car is going back to the dealer due to the keyless entry problem, as I have been left stranded twice now I no longer have faith in it starting. Time for a change!

Andy Beadle, Hampshire, May 2nd 2011

TDCi Zetec 5dr

I have had this car on Motabilty since having the car it has had a Flat spot on first gear and on occasions have almost cut out. I am very dissapointed in this car and will think twice about getting another Ford Its in the dealership at the moment trying to be cured I dont hold out much hope

George Fleetwood, Wirral, April 6th 2011

Zetec 5dr Auto

I've had this car for four years and my rating of it has improved. It is a genuine 4-star car for someone who does low mileage like me (up to 6k per year.) Plus points: reliability - no issues at all, equipment - great, especially the heated windscreen and removeable rear seats, easy and not tiring to drive. Negatives: poor fuel consumption in town, hard seats, not enough cubby holes, large turning circle and worst of all very black privacy glass. Fairly reasonable to service and insure. I treat it as my personal indulgence - a bit expensive to run in town but so convenient and practical in other ways. Would be no use for a high mileage owner as fuel costs would cripple them.

Robert Knight, Kent, October 15th 2009

Zetec 5dr

I have a 2.0 litre auto on the motability scheme. I have had it for 1 year and it has been faultless. It is very comfortable, quiet and easy to drive. The quality of all the car is great, and I have had several long drives in it, all in comfort. It is particularly good and quiet on the motorway, where it has plenty of power, the handling is absolutely excellent. The car also looks good and still looks brand new after a year. In summary, it is a lovely car, if you are to choose a motability car I would thoroughly recommend it, the driving position has a great range, the steering and controls are light and easy to use, the engine is almost silent, even at speed. I have also driven the 2.0 litre diesel manual, it is also excellent, and very powerful, even better than the petrol version I have, the only reason I have the petrol one is that I could have this as an automatic.

f lydon, January 8th 2009

TDCi Style 5dr

Have had this car for six months, done 9,000 km with no mechanical or technical problems, including a trip to the Alps and back: very smooth. Like many diesels, it is most at home on a long motorway drive at constant high speed. Very good petrol consumption on the road but not brilliant in town. Nit-picky dislikes: sluggish pulling away in second gear; boot usually doesn't close properly unless shut firmly, tinny feel to bodywork including boot; no sixth gear for road economy; gear stick could be mounted higher on dashboard a lΓ‘ Megane Scenic thus giving more room in front; de-mist operated thru AC - but is very efficient, no door pockets in rear; window one-touch only to open not close; driver seat not as comfortable as - less adjustable than Scenic? Otherwise it seems well-built. Previous car a Megane Scenic diesel hence the direct comparison.

mike underwood, November 2nd 2008

Zetec 5dr

I now own this car, a 2008 automatic, and i am very impressed by the thought and the quality that has been put into this car. It is a treat to drive - the auto box is silky smooth and the vision is superb. On the economy side I am averaging 28.9 on a run - not great i know but it should improve as the engine loosens up. As i have already stated, the quality of this car is impressive, the dash layout is first class and very easy to adapt to , i got the blue tooth thrown in as a freebie which was very nice and also they have vastly improved the computer read out which is a great boon. My previous car was a 2006 C-Max ghia 2.0 tdci which turned out to be a good car in every way, but i have no regrets changing to the petrol auto. I strongly recommend this car

gerard kavanagh, down, September 2nd 2008

TDCi Titanium 5dr

I have owned my C-Max (2.0 TDCi Ghia ) for three years and have no serious complaints about it. It has covered 53,000 untroubled miles since new, serviced through an excellent small local Ford dealership in Wotton-Under-Edge. I wanted a higher driving position with long distance comfort. The highly adjustable drivers seat ensures a comfortable but still firm driving position. Testament to this is a having just completed a 3500miles tour of France with no discomfort which says a great deal (including a 12 hour fully laden haul back to Calais Ride quality is firm, road noise only noticeable on certain road, although tyre usage is higher than anticipated Adjustability of the rear seats is a great advantage, Storage is ok but a top box is really needed when carry 3 weeks worth of luggage for 4 people. The external bodywork is still sound, as is the Ghia trim package, without obvious signs of deterioration/rattles. Only gripe would be the electronic handbrake. At 25000 motorway miles I had to replace the read pads, now at 53000 they need replacing again. Fronts need doing as well but they have covered the full 53000 miles. Service costs have been reasonable, but could do with a longer service schedule. Fuel economy is not good as expected at 42 mpg, only achieving 50mpg β€˜ish when keeping the speed well below the speed limits and driving careful. Overall very pleased and considering another one (2.0 Titanium)

James Kane, August 29th 2008

Titanium 5dr

6 months in excellent car,rides well,well put together,no quality issues.more than happy with the package this car provides and would reccomend it to anyone considering a c max as a main family car.

Alan Gleave, Lincolnsire, August 15th 2008

Titanium 5dr

One week in, so far, so good. Went from an old shape Mondeo and wanted to downsize but still retain the interior space needed for a 6' 3" man and still let someone sit behind me. Interior quality is vastly better than the old Mondeo. All the doors close with a really substantial thud and the areas you touch are soft-touch premium materials. Lower down the plastics are hard but need to be to prevent scuffs. Ride is very impressive, opted for the Sport 3 Pack so have 30mm lowered sports suspension and 18" "ST" alloy's. Rides better than the bog standard Mondeo did on 16" wheels. Only downside is a slight increase in road roar on some surfaces. Engine is loosing up nicely. Surprisingly very quick, surprising as in you don't realize the amount of acceleration that is taking place. MPG for the 1st tank is slightly disappointing but expecting an improvement as the car only has 450miles so far.

Dean Cutler, Worcestershire, August 11th 2008

TDCi Titanium 5dr

ive only taken onership of car for just over 2 weeks and covered just over 1200 miles of exelent driving. lots of room both front and rear and great driving position and visability. plenty of gadets on this titanium model.

Gary Stewart, Antrim, August 5th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

1.8 Diesel Euro IV model - 06 plate I bought this car for my wife off a few months ago to replace our 3 door Golf. So far the car has been excellent. The build quality is good and the car is nice to drive (especially for a MPV). Handling is sharp and the ride is just right, neither firm nor soft. It's that good I almost enjoy driving the C-Max as much as my BMW 1! For town driving we're averaging around 50mpg on the motorway nearly 70 mpg at a constant 70 mph. Excellent economy. As for practicality the car is very nicely designed. Rear picnic trays and easily foldable back seats. Leg room is superb and rear access is easy as it is capacious. Highly recommended if you have a baby car seat in the back. Equipment levels are good on the Zetec trim. There is nothing that I really miss over the BMW apart from parking sensors. The factory fitted Sony MP3 player is a nice bonus. We had one issue with the car and that was squealing brakes. We had them replaced with Ferodo brake pads for Β£120 at a independant garage and the problem is gone. This is arguable the best 5 seater MPV out there.

Robert Smith, July 29th 2008

TDCi Zetec 110 5dr [DPF]

I had this as a replacement car from my work for a month while my Focus hatch was being repaired. I wanted to dislike this car, but it's much beter than my hatch - the engine is smoother and more economical, the driving position, steering, and comfort are all better, and it looks good too. The version I had had the optional privacy glass, which made me feel like a drug dealer, or chauffeur for spoilt posh kids, depending on when I was driving! In summary, if you can afford this over the hacth, have this every time.

Phil Greenland, cheshire, May 15th 2008

Zetec 5dr

I've had this 1.6 115 16v version for one year now had two services both at swale motors sittingbourne, couple of minour probs water ingress back light, rattle on aircraft table both sorted 1st service. second service picked up oxygen prob via engine management light done on 2nd service.absolutely love this car. owned a 2001 diesel galaxy before, but this is beautifull to drive would have another one tommorrow. Totally recommended

david davenport, kent, March 22nd 2008

Titanium 5dr

I work for Ford's so I see all models of Ford's all of the time and I think we are behind other car makers, but then The New Focus and C Max came along. The standard has now gone through the roof on how the car looks and handles. It would have been nice to have had a few options as standard like Bluetooth (Which on current deals is on Zetec). I also wanted a Diesel Auto in the Titianium, but only do a petrol in 2.0. This MPV may feel smaller than Piccasso, but their is more than enough room for my family and friends. WELL DONE FORD'S we are now competing in a high market and still leading the way.

PHILIP ROSSELL, ESSEX, March 7th 2008