Ford Galaxy MPV Owner reviews

LX 5dr

I have owned it 2 years and bought it second hand from a Ford dealer when 11 months old, its automatic, Fuel economy is poor @ 37.4mpg best. I rarely drive above 55mph even on motorways and my driving is 50% dual carriageway 50% urban and yes my tyre pressures are checked regularly and its not used to commute. I took out a Ford Service Plan with my Ford Dealer but again disappointed as when it came to 37500 mile service I was told it needed the gearbox oil and filter changed and that it was not included in the service plan, the price Β£270, not much point in the service plan if you can't budget for things like that. The SAT NAV can't accept safety camera information and when I questioned Ford about this they said it was not an oversight in design but the model a year later had it available but the newer SAT NAV can't be fitted in the older model. Reversing camera keeps flickering when weather is damp and it has been back for this once already. No spare wheel so if you hit a pot hole and get a blow out and this summer whilst on holiday I had three as tyres are fairly low profile at 50, you have to wait ages for recovery, so I now carry a spare inside the car. When you question Ford about this they say their survey revealed that we do not want spare wheels. It drives well and is comfortable but at its price I expected better and more thought for what the customer wanted not just how much profit can be made. Not sure about the competition but these problems seem commonplace

Robert Mawson, December 7th 2014

TDCi 140 Titanium 5dr Powershift

I owned this car for 18 months bought nearly new. Very happy with it until I noticed a smell which I could not get rid of. I lifted the passenger footwell carpet to find a puddle. I lifted the carpet and found a centimetre of water beside all the electric cabling. I sponged this out just to find it filled up when it rained. Contacted the dealer who said it was not covered under warranty despite car being only 2 years old. Dealer was really unhelpful and could not guarantee leak fixed despite me having payed hundreds if pounds. This seems to be a common problem. I traded the car in for a VW Sharan and will never buy another for Ford.

John Cowell, June 22nd 2014

TDCi 163 Titanium X 5dr

We all know the old ford maxim...Fix Or Repair Daily. Well that is certainly gone forever. The inside is firm but supple leather, the seats move forwards, backwards, Up and down is electrically operated, you have lumber support and this is repeated on the passenger seat (except for lumber). Steering wheel rakes up. down and in or out. All the controls are at hand including Bluetooth which works by voice control as does temperature CD Radio.... This car is a pleasure to drive and with a great turn of speed that surprises many on the road. I have a full 6 speed auto fitted plus of course sequential if I need it. Plenty of room for myself and grandchildren and very easy to flatten the seats for load carrying in various ways. The HID lighting is superb and are auto along with the wipers. The front screen is heated which is great for snow cover. I love driving this car which I have had for two years now and I will be getting another next year some time. Yes its a Ford but not as you remember them.

Den Hallett, May 20th 2013

TDCi 140 Titanium X 5dr Powershift

Early 2010 I had a rental Galaxy diesel 2.0 Ghia & loved it. Great cabin, DAB & Bluetooth, averaged 42mpg etc It convinced me to buy a Galaxy. By then the models had been replaced, instead of 2.0 Ghia they offered the 2.0 Titanium X. Apparently the new engine is more efficient, lower CO2, higher BHP and improved MPG. Ford claim this within all the marketing bumf. I was suckered in, & I bought a new (June 2010) Galaxy Titanium X diesel 2.0 & stuffed it with options. It is fine except that I cannot for the life of me get more than 36 to 37 MPG out of it! The economy has gone backwards rather than forward as they promote! A steady 55Mph in top gear on a level motorway would give me 45 to 47 mpg in the old model. This new model returns 37MPG tops! That is 10 mpg less than the old model. How can this be? I’ve had the dealer check the car out & they say the computer says there is nothing wrong with it. 10 mpg LESS than the older, less efficient model! No support from Ford! BUYER BEWARE! The published MPG stats for this model are wildly inaccurate (by over 10 mpg on average). Also, with this Β£32,000 car I got no tonnueau cover (covers the luggage area from view) which was standard on the old model – you need to be aware of this tight-fisted omission if you carry anything attractive or valuable in the boot it will be on view. Drives fine & is comfortable & well equipped, but I feel duped & deceived by the wildly exaggerated MPG. The lost 10 miles every gallon will cost a fortune!

Clive Aldridge, Essex, March 31st 2011

TDCi Edge 5dr

I've now put 60k on a 2008 Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Edge. Other than a bulb and some loose interior trim, nothing has gone wrong. MPG is around 42, which includes occasionally towing a fairly heavy caravan. It is a large vehicle so parking takes care, and it's more suited to a relaxed rather than press on driving style. Having said that, I find the driving position comfortable and it's a good long distance cruiser. Down sides - as others have said, the interior trim feels a bit low rent. It also seems to need disks replacing almost like brake pads, I had the disks changed at 30k and now its done 60k I think it'll soon need them again. But the flexible seating is fantastic, I tend to use the car mainly as a 5 seater and leave the rear two seats folded into the floor. This gives a van sized boot, which is great for carrying all our camping bits and pieces. Overall, while there are clearly cheaper cars to run than a full sized MPV, for anyone who really needs such a big vehicle it is very capable, seems reliable, and I'll most likely buy another one.

Tony , March 27th 2009

TDCi Ghia 5dr [6]

Purchased a Ghia X back in 2008 after looking at several alternatives. From a space point of view nothing comes close, but I hate to say it, mine too pulls dangerously to the left. The car is now 1yr old, and has been back to the dealer 3 times purely for this issue. The standard response from the dealer is "all cars pull to the left" i.e. because of the road camber, but never have I experienced anything like this. Anyway, the dealer finally accepted somthing is wrong and kindly replaced the tyres and checked the tracking/geometry of the vehicle - but to no avail. So, having read some of the other reviews on this site it does indeed look like there could be an issue with this car. Sadly, this is very unfortunate, as the car could be really really good, but for Β£28,000 I don't think it is much to ask for it to go in a straight line, do you?

Stuart Pearson, December 8th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I bought this car to replace my ageing BMW 5 Series Touring, in the need for more space for my growing family. The criteria was space, practicality, performance, economy, safety,and handling. Unfortunately this car pulls appallingly to the left regardless of road camber, and has done so since new. So safety/handling are seriously compromised. After taking four separate days of work to visit dealerships in an effort to repair( finally acknowledged by the dealer as being appalling to drive;and drives as if it is a badly repaired accident damaged vehicle) they have given up. Currently the car is lying in my drive, and I have resorted to driving my 1995 1.3 CL VW Polo,. (a really nice drive by comparison)!! I am meanwhile waiting on Ford Customer Care/Technical to sort it out. Whilst they have been helpful on the phone, I don't believe they are interested, nor do they understand the dangerous nature of the fault. I paid Β£22K for this fully loaded Ghia X model,e xpecting years of happy motoring. Unfortunately this one major fault overrides anything that is positive about the car. The car as it stands is a danger to me and my family and to other road users. Ford should be investigating whether this should be a recall issue. Apparently my car had its front subframe removed during the manufacturing process to be re aligned.I wonder if this affected a batch of these cars, and possibly dissatisfied owners just put up with the fault or sell them on (if they can get rid of them).!!

MICHAEL GARVIN, STRATHCLYDE, November 25th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr Auto

Bought this car in Feb 08 as replacement for VW Touran. The 130 hp engine combined with auto box is superb - feels more powerful than 130 for size of car and after 9 months we're now averaging 39mpg which is pretty good considering size of vehicle. Have previously always had German cars (VW / Merc / BMW) and to be honest the quality of finish of the Ford cannot match - but consider the cost equation and if prepared to keep an open mind then this is a better proposition in terms of value for money. Positives: Great engine and gearbox combination. Brilliant in terms of flexibility Feels smaller to drive than it looks Good fuel economy Gripes: Interior not up to German standards (but note comments regarding cost to buy) Lack of spare tyre - yes I wrote off a tyre and had to be rescued by AA = replacement (Falken rather than factory Michelin cost me Β£70 all inc so not too bad) Given interior space they missed a trick in terms of cubby holes / drinks holders etc. particularly in centre console area. Overall I would have to recommend this (and of course S-Max which is same car with different packaging). We loved out VW Touran but the Galaxy provides a much better overall package - more space, equivalent economy but with much smoother diesel engine and suprisingly a smoother auto than the VW DSG unit. So good in fact that I'm seriously thinking about replacing our second car (my beloved BMW 1 series), with a Kuga if and when they offer that with an auto.

al innes, November 4th 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr Auto

I was about to by this car. It's pure dead brilliant by the way. Except for one thing. The crazy absence of a spare wheel. How stupid is that. It's a family car. If you have a puncture, particularly on the motorway, you want to get a move on. But if the puncture repair kit does not work, as it most likely wont if you have puncture at 70mph when the tyre almost certainly will be damaged, you are well and truly stuffed. Four kids, stuck on a motorway. Vehicle need to be recovered to nearest tyre place. I can see my RAC fees going up as they cope with the extra costs of vehicles as badly equiped as this. As it happens I also drive in areas to the west of Thurso. Nearerst Kwik Fit? 109 miles away. Get real Ford!! This car may be the safest on the planet in a crash. But in terms of saftey for passenges in every day situations like a puncture, its just so bad.

A Muir, East Dunbartonshire, October 30th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr Auto

Switched from a Seat Alhambra to a 1yr old Galaxy Ghia 2ltr diesel auto. Very easy car to drive, great spec, and the folding seat system is a dream. Built in sat nav slightly tricky to get to know as there was no instructions for it.Advanced bluetooth functions are brilliant. Quite reasonable mpg considering it's an auto. Gearbox is excellent so far, very responsive and ride is smooth and very quiet. Only disappointment - ridiculous lack of spare tyre which I was not aware of until I had the vehicle home! Haven't had to use it yet, but to my way of thinking, the lack of spare tyre makes a small breakdown a major call-out if the tyre-fix filler gadget doesn't work. Also no jack supplied, which is not good.Ghia equipment levels are good - extras that were on this vehicle make it even better. Panoramic roof is great, sat nav reasonable, 6-cd changer works reliably. Great load carrier. Have yet to replace a tyre,but am expecting the tyres to cost a bit. Researched Espace,Zafira beforehand.There was nothing out there, other than the Alhambra or Sharran that offered the flexibility that the Galaxy does. Neither the Alhambra or Sharran have folding seats. Visibility in the Galaxy is also considerably better than the Alhambra. Less pillar obstruction forwards, more glass forwards, and views at junctions better thanks to the above and greater glass panels in between windscreen and door windows.

Peter Coates, Hants, October 10th 2008

TD 110PS Zetec 7 seat 5dr

I own a galaxy 1.9 zetec diesel, the car has never give us any problems, comfortable to drive. But now the diesel injection pump has gone has anybody any idea what this would cost to be fixed

karen spearing, kent, October 2nd 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

When I first took delivery of the car there were several niggling faults such as B post rattles and quarterlights leaks but these were quickly sorted out. The one major fault was that the car pulled to the left. The dealership came up with all sorts of reasons such as camber of the road, it was a characteristic of this type of car. i was getting nowhere despite the car being left with them for several days total. I decided to write to Ford Customer Care and they took up my case. The lady who had my case was brilliant. She kept ringing the Ford Technical Department, the Dealership workshop manager and me. Ford then came up with a modified geometry reading and this was done. The car is now a superb car and I would highly recommend it. Ford even gave me my first service free for all the hassle I had had. i would buy another Ford in the future.

Robert Prince, Devon, August 12th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

Great car but some poor design. Not only is there no spare wheel but the tyre for my vehicle (225/50 R17 98) is not widely available. So if the repair kit doesn't work or if you have more than 125 miles to drive I'm are stuffed. Only puncture so far took 2 days to get a replacement tyre. Still at least I wasn't on holiday with the family on the Continent at the time you'll probably have a 24 hour plus wait. Bluetooth connection for the phone seems to work ok. However why is the phone cradle hidden away in the coin compartment by the driver's knee. Unless its an incoming call or you've put on voice dial its very difficult to use the phone. Why isn't SatNav more reasonably priced? Why does DVD play come with only 2 head phones and no ability to put through car's speakers. Poor radio reception on MW. Why are roof bars so big standard roof box brackets won't fit?

John Scott, West Midlands, June 20th 2008

TD Zetec 5dr [130 PS]

We bought a 1.9D Zetec 130. 55,000 miles, 2002 model 2.5 years ago. In terms of fuel economy, the vehicle returns impressive economy. A genuine 45 MPG on a long run. For an MPV it's comfortable to drive and from a motoring view point it has been relatively reliable with one major breakdown occuring in the time we've owned it. The cost of this repair though only allowed me to award 3 stars, which is a shame as servicing costs have been reasonable. We suffered a drive shaft failure, but this in turn also caused some internal gearbox link damage. The parts took several months to source, apparently due to Ford's poor stock of Galaxy parts. This could have been a major inconvenience but fortunately the garage we used to repair the vehicle provided us with a 7 seater curtosy car during this time. (Not a Ford dealer). Build quality is poor. Fixtures and fittings snap, scratch and mark easily. The paint finish is thin, and also marks/scratches easily. Rust doesn't seem to be a problem though. Front loading multi-CD player sounds great but jams easily, we are told this is common. The seats can be removed, but they are extremely heavy. The release mechanisisms are stiff, and not at all user friendly. The doors are hinged making access difficult in tight spaces. The air-con is very unreliable. Air con doesn't bother us, but if important to you, don't buy a Galaxy. Good buy if you are on a budget, but don't expect faultless ownership experience.

Mark Norris, June 14th 2008

TD Zetec 5dr [115 PS]

At the age of 59 and having owned dozens of cars I can say this car is without doubt the worst I have ever owned; all backed up with the most uncaring and expensive dealer network I have ever experienced. When working it does what it says on the tin, mine was purchased at 57,000 miles and I have covered 6,000 miles. During this time I have had to repace the clutch and the dreaded dual mass flywheel, cost over a Β£1000. When asked for an opinion as to what may have been originaly been wrong, (I only asked the dealer to run it round the block) the dealer needed the car all day and there was a minimum hours labour charge of Β£80.Turbocharger packed up this was approx Β£1000,this and the clutch /flywheel are common faults.Pax window failed, gearbox mount failed,wipers failed, central locking failed,headlight adjusters failed and Maf failed all v expensive.Paint is poor, remove bird poo asap.For a real laugh try changing the headlight bulbs or checking the brake fluid level.Drive shafts are about on their last legs.Paint peeling off the plastic bumper.Engine is like a tractor compared to Honda diesels. Interior materials are very poor and much plastic appears to be painted and it scratches very easily.I cant see this standing up to family use. This car makes my XKR and BMW look like cheap runabouts.The concept is good but the build qaulity is appalling.My first and very very last Ford.

chri price, kent, June 1st 2008

TDCi Zetec 5dr

Purchased in April 07 now done 17k miles. Very pleased with the car overall and an excellent tow car for our Sterling caravan. Dealership have been very good despite a few niggles - the quickclear front screen had gaps in it but it was repaired quickly. Had some difficulty with the tow bar interfering with the rear distance sensors, and had 3 different types fitted before we found a swan neck with sockets fitted below the bumper was the only that worked. Thoroughly recommended.

Paul Mothersdale, North Yorks, May 22nd 2008

V6 4x4 Ghia 7 seat 5dr Auto

Bought this second hand when realised twins were on the way. Have always bought 4WD cars (Subaru/Audi etc) but what a mistake the Galaxy turned out to be. 12mpg around town, barely 22 on the motorway. Reinforced tyres are expensive and get chewed through by 4wd system. So far, here's what's gone wrong: water in the passenger side air vent blew electrics, windows up/down and rear door opening at random etc, new electronic control box required (£££) Aircon has completely died, cruise control no longer works, interlock on transmission prevents putting into gear until you've pressed the brake pedal about 30 times, seems to be always blowing light bulbs, rear hoodlining fell off, door seals worn away, cigarette lighter / aux power sockets don't work. Ford dealers useless - I argued with one Service Manager (proper Ford dealer, mind) who was adamant there was never a 4wd Galaxy and I had to make him get out of the car and look underneath to prove it - as the car makes a wierd "clank/bang" from the drivetrain when reversing and turning ... ... well, I think you get the point. There's a reason they've stopped selling htem.

Mike Rob, May 17th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr [6]

I've owned my present 2005 dual Ford/Volkswagen build Galaxy 1.9 TDi zetec for nearly three years and found it extrememy good all round. When a boy racer decided to cross the carriageway and crash into my vehicle it was in for repair for 4 weeks. During the repair time I was given a new Ford Galaxy 1.8TDi Ghia for the period. I must say it was really good to drive. The roll on roundabouts was near zero compared to my own car since its lower profile aids this. Economy wise, I travelled nearly 1500 miles and returned 44.3mpg under various driving conditions. The best was 47.7mpg by the onboard trip computer. Acceleration was impressive, no flat spots, almost instantaneous. The clutch release to biting was quite short and a little keener than my own, but I got used to it quickly. I found the rear-most "in floor" flat storage seats hard to pull up, maybe because they were brand new and stiff. The sound system with Mp3 playback was excellent for a standard fit item. I liked the car so much that I've just ordered a new Galaxy Ghia 1.8TDCi 125 for delivery mid April 2008. I am sure I won't be disappointed if it compares to the hire vehicle.

john tilston, Lancs, March 31st 2008

Ghia 5dr

I have owned 2001 my Galaxy for almost 3 years. It has covered 45000 virtually faultless miles in that time and now shows 112000 miles on the clock. The only problems have been air conditioning pump failure (Β£400 bill for that) and ignition coil failure. I have had all but one replaced, but they only cost Β£30 from Ford and you can easily replace them yourself. Anything else has been servicable items such as brakes. My car has the VW sourced 2.8 V6 engine, which is generally recommended as a 'do not but' or 'one to avoid', however it returns 25mpg on short trips and 30-32 mpg on a run. If you ask me, why pay 2k plus more for a diesel. I would recommend one to anyone looking for a 7 seat MPV and if you fancy a big engine, so what. Go for it, you can always spend another Β£1800 and convert to LPG and turn your V6 into a 50+mpg car over night. My local BP station sells diesel at Β£1.16/litre and LPG at Β£0.52/litre. That's a 64p saving.

Maik Osbourn, Hants, March 25th 2008

TDCi Ghia 5dr

I have owned the Espace, Discovery, XC90, V70 and A4 Avant and have just changed last month to the Galaxy. It is quiet to drive, soaks up the bumps, fantastic space, beautifully finished, and I can say out of all the cars I've owned the best family package available. Well done Ford! Now we will see how it stands the time test.......

James Hyndman, Down, February 18th 2008