Honda Accord Saloon Owner reviews

i-DTEC EX 4dr [ADAS]

I bought my Accord 2 months and 2k miles ago,to replace an increasingly unreliable VW Tiguan as it approached 3 years old.I won't be having another VW in a hurry! So far I've got nothing negative to say. This has to be the smoothest,quietest and most comfortable car that I have ever owned (and I've owned a few), with good economy for my (mainly motorway) driving, although this is lower than claimed economy for some of the competition. It was also available new on a very good deal and with a comprehensive specification, far better than the (mainly) German competition - heated leather electric seats, sunroof, voice control, sunroof, cruise control and satnav. I was going to be just like everybody else,and was looking at the MB C-Class, Jaguar XF, Audi A5 Sportback etc. I stumbled across the Accord having not really considered it at all, but once I had seen it and driven it I was clear that it was a great choice, with the promise of excellent reliability and build quality that is (at least) the equal of the competition, if not superior. Add to that the fact that it is rare and this is almost the complete package. If I was going to be very critical,the satnav does look a bit old fashioned, but works very well, and the stereo system has excellent sound quality even if some of the controls take a while to get used to. My advice is that if you are considering spending Β£25-30k on this size of car, ignore the main reviews and have a look for yourself - you may be surprised

Edward Askew, Buckinghamshire, June 26th 2012

i-CTDi Sport 4dr [Sat Nav + HFT]

I have earlier reviewed the pre-lift model 04 of this car as excellent. I now have an 06 Facelifted one. The 04 is 5 speed and the 06 is 6 speed. I am going to talk of the positives first. Ease and Quality of driving - brilliant, I went from an 05 525i E60 to this and this drives much much better. You are in complete control of this car. Fuel Consumption - The 06 with 1 extra gear is slightly more fuel efficient. Expect 500 Miles from a full tank, there are bigger and more powerful cars such as the Volvo S60 whcih are more efficient, but they don't drive as well. Power - well here is surprising bit, the 04 is more powerful, with only 5 gears to change you can accelerate more in each! But the fuel economy is slightly worse. The 04 is 40 Mpg and the 06 is like 45 Mpg. Reliability - Aah you go its a Honda, got to be the best. You would be wrong unfortunately. These cars are no more reliable than say a BMW 320D. What? I hear you say? Let me explain. The 04 developed a drive shaft problem which was costly to fix. And the 06 died while driving due to a failed alternator. Apparently Honda have a TSB ( technical service bulletin on this but the customer pays, they did fix the exhaust manifold free but really its more a case of we will not kill you with Carbon Monoxide but its up to you if all your systems including breaking just die due to a faulty alternator - very poor thinking Honda ! Also the clutch seems to be dying which is a common problem. No problems 3 Lexus cars!

Sean Orlov, October 8th 2011

i-VTEC SE 4dr

Honda Accord 2.2 CTDi Exec 2005 Purchased the car with about 85K miles and now up to 105K. The car is comfortable and fairly well equipped. It has a built in touch screen sat nav, duel climate, slide/tilt sunroof and 6 disc cd. The uprated sound system is excellent and is quite often the thing I can hear. It does lack parking sensors and although the seats and mirrors are electric and heated there is no memory. The Leather seats are wearing well but some of the trim and door plastics could be a little sturdier. Apart from a few bulbs the only problem we have had over 12 months was smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin. Googled it and found out it was a known fault with the exhaust manifold, Honda are aware of this and extended the warranty from 5 yrs to 7. Our car was also under the 125k mile limit that Honda have placed on the manifold so the work was carried out for free by Bristol (Cribbs Causeway) Honda who were excellent. So to summarise, comfy, pulls well, Β£200 for a large service, reliable and imo a nice looking car. Would highly recommend and will probably by another but certainly not for a while.

Mike Smith, June 15th 2011

i-DTEC EX 4dr

This is a company car I've had since September 2010. The drive around town is good, however motorway driving is excellent. I regularly drive 200 miles from London to Exeter and the car cruises along effortlessly. The EX model comes with all the kit you could ever want....electric leather seats, sat nav, bluetooth, voice activation, mp3 and usb points, the list is extensive! And being a Honda it all works! Adding this kit to a BMW, Merc or Audi will add thousands on to the list price! The only gripes I have is that the diesel engine is slightly noisy around town and I've not been too impressed with the local Honda dealers who don't seem to be interested! The car has been back under warranty for a piece of plastic trim on the windscreen pillar coming loose. Wasn't impressed at having to go back to the dealer 3 times to get this done. Also, I unintentionally overran on my servicing (which is every 12.5k miles), as I was under the impression the service light on the dashboard would appear. However, after 16k miles after the last service and no service light, I decided to check it out with the dealer, who advised that the service warning light can be switched off!! And it can't be reactivated! Nowhere in the manuals/service book does it say this! So now I have to keep a close eye on the mileage to ensure servicing is done timely! Apart from these gripes, the car has proved so far (48k miles) to be mechanically reliable.

Sunny Mandalia, Middlesex, May 26th 2011

i-DTEC ES GT 4dr

Dear Mr Honda In 40 years driving I think your car is absolutely the best I have ever driven in the way that it meets my needs for a smooth, quiet spacious, comfortable and well-equipped motorway cruiser, for less than the equivalent BMW or Audi. It's nice on the country roads too. I'm going to be a bit picky though. Before I buy another one, I wonder if you could manage to fit the driver's seat with one of those knob-thingys that adjusts the back-rest in very small increments - the ratchet you have fitted means I struggle to get the perfect position even after adjusting seat height and steering wheel reach and rake......... .....and, could you manage to fit a head restraint that is also adjustable as mine pushes my head forward and gives me neck-ache (so I've taken it out and turned it to face backwards). ... and whilst you're at it, could you provide a menu-driven interface through the console for the mobile hands-free as I just can't remember all the voice-driven commands - after all there is already a pretty good menu system for the satnav. Oh and while were on it, can you ask the ever-so-nice nice lady in my satnav to provide an audible warning when she re-routes me around a traffic jam, because it can be a surprise to be told to exit the motorway 50 miles before I expected. I know improving on near-perfection must be quite hard, but that's all I could think of, surely it's not too much to ask, I mean they're all simple inexpensive changes to make, aren

Martin Hamilton, Somerset, May 19th 2011

i-DTEC ES GT 4dr

I have had a 2010 Accord car on lease since early December 2010.This is my 3rd accord covering 75,000 miles in each of the two previous cars. This is a very comfortable car however the moment i drove off the forecourt i was aware there was a lot of outside noise coming into the cabin. I have since been back to the dealer several times for checks road tests etc. The dealer says thats the way the accord is. I cannot believe Honda could have developed a car this good and accepted very poor sound insulation around the door seals. I am now upto 5,500 noisey miles and have officially complained to both the main dealer and Honda lease just waiting for a responce. Otherwise its a very nice car.

Andrew Beaumont, Powys, March 20th 2011

i-DTEC EX 4dr

I bought it new 18months ago and covered 20000 miles. Absolutely nothing (touch wood) has gone wrong with it. Quality and realibility wise it is excellent. I looked at Merc C220's and 5 series BMW but chose the Honda. All the expensive axtras on other makes comes standard with Honda. I have had no problem with the supposedly complicated and cluttered switch gear, its easy to use! The down sides are, if you can call them down sides - not a lot of leg room for back seat passengers - hands free telephone will not work with all phones and is not easy to use - I only get 41mpg knocking about the streets (I don't know where Honda get 50mpg from)and thats taking it easy, however put the cruise control on 60mph on the motorway and it will do 65mpg! - first gear seems sluggish when moving away from traffic lights. Thats about it, why it only gets 3 stars from What Car baffles me! All in all it's an excellent,comfortable and reliable car.

Robert Littlewood, Cheshire, March 7th 2011

i CTDi Executive 4dr

This 3 year old example replaced a much loved 99 Passat 1.8T estate about 15 months ago after a protracted search for something that we liked more than said Passat. It hasn't disappointed. Interior is well designed, attractive and well put together. Engine is a peach, very quiet and plenty of performance. Regular oil checks are sensible though. The car is an entertaining drive & reassuring in all conditions - visibility is not great (A pillars are thick) and re3ar parking sensors are a worthwhile option. Local dealer have offered good service but labour and parts are definitely pricey. My only gripes are paintwork - scratches easily and far away from the quality of the VW - and the 5 speed gearbox doesn't quite match the engine torque curve at 30 mph.Fuel economy averages 37 around town, and best has been c 44 mpg on a run, so not achieved book numbers. Overall, looks great, drives well, would definitely recommend.

Alun Page, February 10th 2009

i CTDi Executive 4dr

i owned an Accord before that gave excellent service. When searching for new cars, I decided to stick with Accord but this time I got a diesel for economy but the engine is excellent- amazing pick-engines are a fab. One thing owners must remember with the diesel is that to wait 10 seconds after stopping the car before switching off the engine as this may be the cause of frequent turbo troubles.

M Baryalai Khan-Mohmand, December 28th 2008

i-DTEC EX 4dr

Ignore the reviewers comments on the number of switches, they aren't a problem. Interior and boot (which was one of the main areas of interest for us) work well. The seats are becoming more comfortable as they wear in. The first few weeks were uncomfortable as it took an age to find the right position for the lumbar support. Economy is good and the Engine just gets better . I value the extra HP over the Peugeot that I previously owned. Motorway driving is best, although you will find that that road noise intrudes. You must know and enter post codes when using the Sat Nav. as it’s missing minor roads. We’ve ended up getting into a fix a couple of times - using the post code gets you in the right general location. You also have to accept the T&C’s for using the system at the start of every journey – which is annoying. My main area of unhappiness is cabin build quality and attitude of the dealer. We had problems with trim rattles and vibrations from day one. The worst have been cured, but the car still suffers from at least two or three that seem to vanish once the car has warmed up. I gave up with the dealer and now living with this for the first part of every journey. You might expect a poor dealer response and this sought of nonsense on less expensive brands. Unless the vibrations magically go away, I doubt I will be buying any more Honda’s, which is a shame as the Engine is good.

Nigel Mossman, Hants, November 16th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 4dr

I have driven this car for a 4 year period and covered over 50,000 miles in it, Nighthawk black with chrome trimmings, low profile tyres on 17" alloys and that boot spoiler make it a stunning looking car although a nuisance to keep clean! It has the added benefits of great fuel economy, good performance and very low car tax and insurance, overall it ticks all the boxes and as a company car costs me very little in income tax. Stunning reliability, only a couple of small issues. The wheels are prone to water damage (were replaced on mine under warrantly), and I also suffered from a cracked exhaust manifold again covered under the warranty. Dealer was a little stupid in allowing me to drive the car for a few more days (before they could see it) despite the information I supplied them with (bad smell and headaches!!) Basically I had been breathing in exhaust fumes for a month or so before the cracked manifold was diagnosed! That aside the car is the best I have had, previously I have had the Prelude and two Civics and now own a CRV - a die hard Honda Fan.

Lee Wilkinson, Lancs, September 21st 2008

i-VTEC Executive 4dr

first honda ever. had it for 18 months, overall pleased. looks great handels good and the performance is excelent. fuel economy not as published figs. problems with the sat nav, stopped working honda want Β£300 to fix it. apart from that there are no problems. now done 111000 miles. still going strong. but want to go back to german honda is still lacking something.

sukhi toor, September 12th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 4dr

I had a Honda Accord (series2?)for 88,000 miles before I moved upmarket to a Lexus IS 200 for 80,000 miles.Next I had a Renault Laguna 1.9D Sportourer for another 86,000 miles.The Lexus was a dream,but high fuel consumption,high tyre wear,tax bracket and 3 CD changers prompted me to economise with the Renault. Whilst I loved The Laguna's practicality I hated the cost of servicing,the dealerships and the long list of expensive things that went wrong.When it came to changing I thought back to my original Accord,a car I sold at 99,000 miles,still looking immaculate,never having had ANYTHING go wrong with it,and which is still pleasing its current owner another 9 years on from when I sold it on 99,000 miles.I've now had my current 2.2CDTi for another 72,000 miles.I've loved it from the moment I got it,and I laugh at all those egotistical so and so's who are so insecure they think only a German Exec will make them feel accomplished.The dealers are great.They even pointed out two tiny areas of corrosion on my wheels,that I had not noticed,and offered to get them replaced.Servicing costs are very reasonable.I love the way the petrol-like diesel pulls and accelerates.I like the comfortable seats.I love the fact there aren't any useless or stupid gimmicks.I love the way EVERYTHING works, without fail.I like the fuel economy,and the low tax bracket.I love the fact I can trust my car 100%.When I replace my car next March,I won't even consider anything other than a third Honda Accord

Mike Newton, September 12th 2008

i CTDi Executive 4dr

I have owned the car coming up to a year now and have already given a review earlier when I first bought it.I can now give a more informed view. The car is absolutely superb in handling and drivability, on motorways it just purrs along, the braking and handling gives so much confidence, you can sit back and enjoy your drive. The economy is also excellent I average 47 mpg from my 2.2 cdti, with a little less pedal pumping I can average mid 50`s, but who wants to drive a class motor like that, it's so enjoyable to drive, you don't want to think about economy. The cruise control is dream and all at your fingertips on the steering wheel, Air con excellent, Hands free phone facility a breeze, touch screen for sat nav, air con, radio etc; it has so many 'boys toys' I don't think I'll ever learn to use them all. A couple of minor niggles, the paintwork scratches very easily, the centre discs with the 'H' on, on the alloy wheels, started corroding after about 6 months, I've had the AA out twice to jump start the car, having left it at the airport for 2 weeks and the battery didn't have enough charge in it to start the car. Honda have slowed the computer down to try and resolve the issue, as they say it may be running too fast and thus running battery down when left for long periods.

Terry Cain, Cleveland, August 28th 2008

i-VTEC Sport 4dr

My Accord is a 2003 2.0 Vtec Sport with the 17 inch Penta wheels, in dark Metallic Grey. I bought it on July 1st 2007 with 49,000 miles on the clock and now, 13 months later, it has done 63,000 miles, including a trip to the south of Spain ( 1560 miles each way ). Shortly after I bought it I noticed that the alloys had some corrosion on them so I contacted Honda customer service who agreed to pay for 2 new ones, I paid for the other 2. This has been one of the best cars I have owned in 38 years of motoring, it's quick and flexible and easy to drive, although you do get some tramlining. Overtaking on A roads is a doddle and great fun, in fact I haven't had so much fun since my Alfa 156.In fact if it was a diesel with a 6 speed box it would be perfect. The only problem that I have had was a front anti-roll bar link broke, however that was soon sorted. Fuel consumption is about 35 to 37, although with care I can get it up to 40. Oil consumption is non existent. I'm thinking of changing it, purely because of the price of fuel, and I am looking at the same car only a diesel model.

Paul Wigley, Shropshire, August 16th 2008

i-VTEC EX 4dr

Just taken delivery of a 2.4i auto EX model and am very impressed by the smoothness of the engine ( sounds like a six cylinder)and the firm but very comfortable ride.Its loaded with everything you could wish for and all for Β£6-7k less than a similar spec german brand. It is early for fuel figures but to date it has done 38mpg which has really surprised me as the combined figure is 33- however I dont have town driving in my mix. Build quality is superb and the dealer first class. This car will not disappoint and is a big move up for Honda. I dont miss my Audi at all.

James Nicholl, Co Antrim, June 27th 2008

i-VTEC EX 4dr

I have recently taken delivery of a brand new Accord 2.4 Ex Automatic. I am extremely pleased with the car. For the money it is excellent value and came loaded with all the kit you would expect in an exec saloon. I even managed to haggle Β£1500 discount off list. It was delievered in a week (yes a week). I had the previouis model for three years and was absolutely delighted with it. In 50,000 miles absolutely nothing ever went wrong, nothing , nada, zip - not a blown light bulb. In the past I have owned BMW (dealers were rubbish, car fell to bits, they had to replace the gearbox), Audi (constant electrical problems), Mercedes (snobby dealers, car fell to bits). The previous model was quick, reasonably economical and handled really well. The new model is a massive improvement on an already excellent car. It's faster, quieter and feels like it is on rails. Put your pre-conceptions away and go and test drive one. The germans should be worried.

chris cunningham, Berkshire, June 14th 2008

i-VTEC Executive 4dr

I have had this car for 3 months bought it 2nd hand on 2005 Plate with a Automatic gearbox I am very happy with it looks Stunning as its the Executive Trim with Cream Lather seats and looks really nice in black has 17 inch alloys to :) driving wise its very nice and comfortable but you might find reverse parking a bit tricky don't no if its because its a big car and you have to be that extra bit careful but apart from that theres nothing else wrong with it. Petrol wise its not bad try not to drive it locally that much. Overall very nice car TOTALLY TOTALLY RELIABLE!!! Japanese Cars Rule Simply as that!!!!

Nadeem Gazza, Buckinghamshire, May 5th 2008

i-VTEC EX 4dr

The only problem with this car is that it has a cheapish image here in the Middle East. Over here, unfortunately, it's either German (now VW, though) or Lexus. It's a fantastic motor - I had it for 15 months and it kept its value well. The car is not in the executive league, though. It's faultless engineering-wise, a real gem (and with petrol cheaper than water here, so much the better when it comes to pushing it to the limit).

Jonathan Abela, April 26th 2008

i-CTDi EX 4dr [Sat Nav + HFT]

My previous car was a 320d, and when it came to swapping I decided to go for the Accord as there were a few more luxuries for the money. At first I was really pleased with my choice - the ride is smooth, sat nav, heated seats, multi cd, etc are a plus. However it wasn't long before I began to notice several annoying rattles. Despite several visits to the local dealership, they have been unable to cure them. Having owned the car now for just under 18 months, it is the build quality which has been disappointing. The Accord does represent excellent value for money in terms of features and fuel economy, but I will almost certainly opt for a BMW or Audi when I swap.

Kriston Harvey, April 4th 2008