Honda FR-V MPV (04 - 09) Owner reviews

i-CTDi EX 5dr

My wife has had this car for 5 years - three years as a lease and then she bought it as she loved it so much. I find it extremely practical, well designed internally and far better looking than the norm MPVs like the Kumquat. It's the best MPV we've had (after several Renaults - which ok were comfortable but unreliable). At 60,000 miles all we have had to do is the brakes and the battery. We fit winter tyres each year and it handles fabulously well in the snow - when my BMW won't move if there is 2mm of the stuff ! The only gripe I have is that I find the engine a little clattery and not that refined. I seriously think Honda are missing a trick in this segment.The JAZZ is justtoo small for us.

Chris Elliott, Staffs, September 22nd 2013

i-VTEC Sport 5dr

I fully understand why this car is a JD Power winner. Owned this car for over 3 years. I have three children and they all require child seats from stage 1 - 3. The car has been excellent and we have not identified a good enough reason to trade it in. We have been to Portugal with luggae and back no problem. Inside the car has plenty of room for all five of us with a spare seat. We have not struggled with the boat space for shopping and buggies and have not felt the need for a roof box like so many other family MPVs. I have covered about 34,000 miles now and the engine is just getting nice! It is responsive and quicker than you would think when giving it a good thrash due to VTEC. The car has been reliable and cheap to run so far and the dealers are very good with no concerns at all. Build quality seems really good with interior coping no problem. Handling can appear soft on corners but it is a family car and the suspension reflects that. Family and freinds all admire it and like the look with a couple of purchases locally as a result of seeing it! Overall a great car and until it starts to give me a headache I suspect we will just keep it until it drops.

M MURRAY, SCOTLAND, December 14th 2008

i-CTDi EX 5dr

My FRV is doing the job I bought it for brilliantly. I bought a used 18 month-old, 20K car; it was bought as a second car, replacing an 8 year-old Vectra. My primary car is a Merc C-Class saloon and so the second car needs to be practical for trips to the dump, airport runs and when parents visit. I looked at all the min MPV options: the S-max was discounted for being a little too big and so it came down to the VW Touran (bland styling but nice car – the reviews about reliability put me off plus VW dealers need to release that there is an economic down-turn happening if they want to sell cars!), the Toyota Verso (possibly the most boring car in the world, I know it’s an MPV but I was so under-whelmed by it) and the Honda (the width initially concerned me but you don’t notice it when driving or parking). What really sold me on the Honda was that all other MPVs have those flimsy seats in the rear – you loose all luggage space and they are so close to the rear window; the idea of my child seating in one and being rear-ended by a truck fills me with horror! The Honda with proper seats and luggage space is the way forward. I have filled it with 6 adults and provided that the seats are staggered a long journey is not a problem. In summary, the Honda may buck the trend in MPV seating layout but it is Honda who has it right. Plus, it is a pretty good looking car, drives OK and is as well built as anything German with a similar price tag (and bonus Japanese reliably). Go get one.

David Hughes, Beds, November 28th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

I've had the FR-V since June 06 and now have 85k on the clock. Had some early niggles - outside temperature sensor packed up, no biggy except that the climate control uses this input - so it thinks it is -28C outside and blows maximum heat inside. Quickly fixed and didn't recurr. Other niggles were alarm going off randomly, the hand brake warning sounding constantly, and the CD not being fitted correctly. Sounds a bit of a list, but everything was quickly and easily sorted. Fuel consumption slightly worse than expected - probably due to high speed motorway work. The engine is great - gets faster the older it gets, very noticable for the first 20k or so that it continues to loosen up. New front tyres every 30k. The seating works wonders - three across the front with the back seats folded down make it transit like for shifting stuff. That's really why I bought it. I compared it to a Touran, but the rattles in the new demo(s) put me off the VW. The Honda is still like new inside, no rattles or anything I do love the car, but will replace it early next year - maybe with a B-Class? I'll probably not buy another one as I want a change; but have no hesitancy in recommending one to anybody.

alan goodall, surrey, November 19th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

Had the car 3 years from new. This car has the potential to markedly improve family trips in the car. Obviously it can save on arguments when 2 passenger seats are available up front. But even if you have the 2 wee-ones in the back and partner up front in the normal 2+2 arrangement the FR-V still beats the others... the reason is that with the front-middle seat folded down the ease of communication between front and back is drastically improved. There is such a big gap between the front seats that simple things like passing "stuff" between front and back is easy. Even general conversations are a whole lot easier. (They should change the name of the car to the "Honda Sociable" or do a special edition suitably sponsored Honda "TalkTalk".) It really does make the whole trip a lot more inclusive for everyone. When choosing your car, you can consider MPG, build quality , dealer service, cost, options, etc but the outstanding "win-point" for the FR-V is the potential for a genuine improvement in the quality of your family-time on a journey - if that's what is most important, then this is the car for you... Quick word about the Honda dealership - they make a 60 mile round trip to pick my car up for its servicing - and return it back to me. Outstanding.

Rod MacDonald, October 22nd 2008

i-VTEC EX 5dr

The perfect family car. With 6 passengers, there's still room for a pram and shopping. It's roomy enough for me to get in & move around in the back strapping the kids in. The seats fold and move around so easily, you can move them about whilst your sat in the front. The move so smoothly, even my kids can move them around! Its a smooth drive. SO much leg room, front and back, except a small child has to sit in the middle back seat if the front back seat is pushed back. Perfect. Bought in July 08 and still love it. Only negative - the key is a bit big and not a fancy pop up or push in one. My mpg is based on inner city driving without trying to conserve fuel.

Sonia Ogunkoya, October 16th 2008

i-VTEC ES 5dr

The car is smooth quiet and responsive with more than enough storage spaces for a family car. The fuel consumption is, however, much higher than claimed. Driving gently a mixture of motorway and extra urban to work I get about 33.5mpg, rising to 35.0 mpg using cruise control at 68mph on the motorway (nothing like the 45mpg claimed). Although the steering wheel is noticeably closer to the door than in other cars I have owned this does not cause any problems while driving. The 3 front seats are genuinely practical even for 3 reasonably sizes adults, which surprised even me. It may not have all the French touches of my old Scenic such as seat trays and the focused map light in the front but this is more than compensated for by the rock solid construction. All in all a great family car that I hope will ease off to higher mpg as I rack up a few more miles. So far I am delighted with the F-RV quality and drive-ability so much so that I can happily forgive the somewhat higher than expected fuel consumption.

Allan Dutch, October 7th 2008

i-CTDi ES 5dr

The honda is an ideal car for a young family like mine for so many reasons, from the configuration of the seating to the amount of power that the diesel engine produces. The only issue I would have is the amount of body roll in the corners. Nevertheless I would buy another and that speaks volumes.

Martin Walker, West Yorkshire, September 6th 2008

i-VTEC SE 5dr

This has been the best car I've owned. I was after an MPV that still had boot capacity even when all seats were taken. I chose petrol over diesel after working out that I wouldn't break even until around 70,000 miles!Given how good my average fuel consumption has been I don't think diesels could better that if at all. I purchased the service package which cost Β£300 for five years/62,500 miles servicing. So all I've done from new is put petrol in and one set of tyres,and I've done 56,000miles. It's more than comfortable for four adults and two kids. I'm now a Honda convert.

Richard Edwards, September 4th 2008

i-VTEC SE 5dr

I bought the FR-V after years of having Honda Accords so I knew the build quality and servicing would be great. What suprises me everyday is how much I love this car - I've never taken so much care over a car before! We call it the Tardis because its amazing how much kit this car can swallow & still fit the whole family in comfortably. The day after I got it we loaded up 3 adults + 2 children & a week's worth of holiday baggage with ease. Another time, with a couple of back seats quickly folded down, we took 2 adults + 2 children + 4 bicycles - no need for a bike rack. My only negative is the thick pillars on the sides of the front windscreens - on country roads they can obstruct the forward view when going round corners but I've quickly got used to that. If you want a reliable, flexible MPV that's a pleasure to drive then you want the FR-V...I had to wait a while for my Honda dealer to find the exact one I wanted but he came up with the exact spec (even down to the colour). You gotta love Honda.

Sue Turner, September 3rd 2008

i-CTDi EX 5dr

I brought this car to replace my 3yr old VW Touran which had done 40k and spent more time in the work shop than it did on the road including a new gearbox which was the final straw that broke the camels back. I had previously wanted a FR-V but felt it would have not been big enough How wrong I was, I normally carry my wife and 2 kids but when we go on holidays I take my mum and mother in law.(brave I know) When I went to pack the car up I fitted 2 very large and 1 medium sized suitcase in the boot with ease, I was amazed at how much more room I had than the Touran which had to have 1 seat down at the back and the suitcases packed up by the side of the passenger in the back and not all of them fitted so I had to unload 1 and put the clothes in the roof box.So I packed for 6 and travelled in compleat comfort in most MPV's the rear seats are best for the kids but who would want to put their most treasured possession in the very back? The middle seats (Full size seats)front and back slide independantly so the front middle seat can be put back as well as the back although by doing so you do comprimise the boot but this did not effect me in any way and made driving a complete pleasure. I would highly recomend anyone thinking of bying a MPV to test drive this car it is a very refined deisel and drives superbly.Well done Honda for doing something out of the norm what a great little car that looks like a car rather than a converted van with windows.

Lee Hansard, Herts, September 1st 2008

i-VTEC ES 5dr

Very satisfied with our FRV. I wanted a car that didn't feel like a family car and that I could drive every day to work. I've owned a honda balade previously so was familiar with Honda's. We test drove a bunch of cars including the Nissan Grand Lavina (which was our 2nd choice). Of all the cars the Honda most comfortably carried six people while retaining sufficient boot space. We drove a Citron Picasso while on holiday in France and couldn't wait to get back to our FRV. I also appreciated the air bags, not just in front but also in the rear for the children, which is where other MPV's lost me. Of particular importance to me was to get a car with the ability to overtake at high speed. We travel on many single lane highways where you need to overtake trucks when the road is clear. I like to spend as little time as possible on the wrong side of the road. The FRV (1.8l petrol, manual) has no problem going from 110km/h to 140km/h in a short stretch, similarly it has no problem increasing speed going up a hill which is where I've found some MPV's out of their depth. Lastly it really does has the feel of a small car. It doesn't have the length of a normal MPV so parking is easy. The aux out is a cherry on top as I prefer to plug in my MP3 player. I'd get another one for just me if I could afford it ;)

John Smith, August 18th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

Is a great car. I would even consider buying another as it looks graet and drives great. The interior is a work of genius with the 2 rows of 3 seats design and the build quality and reliability is great as you would expect from a Honda. You also get lots of kit for your money no matter what model you buy although the ES models or above are probably the best. The 2.2 CTDI diesel is a great engine as well. It has great fuel economy and lots of power especially around 60-70 mph where the mid-range power and accleration is outstanding. The 1.8 petrol engine is also very good but if you are going to buy one I would strongly recommend the 2.2 diesel. The car is comfortable and capable on any road from B-roads to motorways. Dealer service is great too as you would expect of Honda. Would I buy another? Yes without a doubt I would.

CHRISTOPHER DOUGLAS, August 2nd 2008

i-CTDi ES 5dr

I really, really like this car!! I've had it from new for 2 weeks and I am impressed with virtually every aspect of the vehicle. The overall build and feel of the car is of a very high standard. The cabin is classy and although initially I was a bit unsure about the three seats up front I now find it gives a roomy feel up front and allows for 'stuff' to be at my side when driving. I've read reports of poor vision and being tight against the driver door - rubbish I'm 6ft tall and 13.5 stone and theres plenty of room between me and the door and the vision up front is very good. The diesel engine is great and quiet for a diesel. With a familly of 5 onboard there's plenty of poke. The look of the car (mine is black with the es privacy glass which is almost black) is sporty and friends and familly all seem to rate it as a great looking car. So if you're looking for a good looking and top quality familly car this is it...you won't be disapointed....I'm certainly not.

michael wilkins, March 15th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

Having bought our FRV after owning 2 Volvo V40, 1 V70 and 1 V50. We find the FRV has the same quality feel and comfort. The 3 front seat layout is great for us as we also tow a caravan, We can fold down the back seats and use the space for all the awnings, deckchairs and all the other gear we take with us. Fuel economy is reasonable considering the trips we take, 26mpg towing our 1250kg caravan,36mpg commute and 42mpg on solo trips.The car has quite a sporty feel, being very agile and secure in the corners. Performance is also good, get into the right gear and you just nip past slower traffic in a very short time even with a caravan on the back. We have owned our car almost 18 months now and have had no problems in 17000 miles. The car is comfortable on long journeys reasonably quiet and feels well made.

peter jacklin, north lincolnshire, February 25th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

I have owned this car from new with 45000 miles on the clock now. Strong virtues in all the important areas add up to an unbeatable combination in the market, currently. There isn't a better-looking MPV; strong performing engine with good economy; sure-footed handling; very comfortable & relaxed ride; considering the relatively compact dimensions, the interior space & layout swallows my family of 6, with luggage, admirably.

mike morris, oxon, February 24th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

My initial opinions of the Honda dealer and my FRV were good until some problems surfaced. The supplying dealer in Chester's performance was poor so I now visit a dealer closer to home. The reason I went far afield was because of availability, so you have been warned, shop locally. The FRV's MPG initially was fine 35/38 mpg however since the valve recall this has dropped drastically to around the 24/30 mpg mark and when you pull away particularly with a full load now there is a whine/roar probably from the transmission. This is unacceptable as the new dealership could not detect any such noise on take-off and as for the oil burning issue they advised I look in the handbook and reminded me that Honda diesels do burn oil? However the good news is sometimes consumption can reduce after 12/15000 miles. As I sat in the rear during the test drive I was unaware that the front legroom is so poor - but I am 6 feet tall. To achieve the three abreast seating you are sat close to the door NO I repeat you are sat up close against the door - and the sculptured seats ensure this happens. A number of people have mentioned soft paint - mine is almost a year old but looks three years old and I handwash the vehicle. However, try this: run a clean finger over the paintwork and it will mark? Verdict would I buy another? In 2008 there are much better, well equipped MPV's out there now so... NO.

peter james, January 30th 2008

i-CTDi Sport 5dr

Have had Dsl FRV from new has all the toys which is nice and very safe, but what I like the most is three seats up front so when my daughter who is now eight and only get to see her every two/three weeks can sit up front quite legal with the approved seat so she finds it fun so she can talk to the adults and does not feel left out,it is comfortable to drive, a good fuel return, very satisfied have even got the extra 5yr excluding wear and tear warranty as intend to keep for a few years yet, a good buy, (well it is a Honda) The follow up by the Dealer and Honda was also very comforting that they cared

DOMINIC LUCKHURST, KENT, January 2nd 2008

i VTEC SE 5dr

I have had the car for 2.5 years. The only things I can complain about are : Driving in Malta is like driving in a city- short distances with frequent change of gears. I only average around 26 mpg; which is much less than the dealer promised me prior to buying the car. The leg room in front should be more- I am 6ft 3 inches, especially when one sees the the large amount of leg room at the back. The last thing is that there was a slight twiching noise from behind the driver's sunvisor, and the dealer told me that they would have to remove all the roof upolstery- so I preferred not having the job done . Other wise it has a nice ride,and practical for my large family, large bike and my Under 15 players team that I coach and transport

Jeremy Gambin, December 15th 2007

i-VTEC SE 5dr

We were keen on a car with front three-abreast seats as we wanted our only child in the front with us. So we tried a new automatic Honda FR-V earlier this year. The ride was much worse than I expected, being too hard and bouncy and distinctly not family friendly. M Sah has a similar comment. However when we tried a 2005 2.0 litre SE (which we bought) we found the ride distinctly more comfortable than the new version, having a French-like soft edge. So, in facelifting the FR-V earlier this year, have Honda hardened the ride? If they have, I regard it as a big mistake. Other aspects of the car are good. Five of us travelled to the South of France and back this Summer, and the car was comfortable. There was no problem with lack of shoulder width with three adults in the front, though none of us are big. For me the design strikes a good balance between interior room and keeping the external width to a minimum. Other good points are a refined engine, a slick gearbox, good handling and it has good build quality. We have not noticed wind noise problems commented on by some others. I have only a few criticisms. The fuel consumption can be mediocre. Bigger Multipla-like side windows would be preferred. The steering is sensitive to road camber hence on UK roads I am usually correcting a slight tendency to pull to the left which is tiresome. Is this a common feature of modern cars or am I picky?

Chris Hyde, Middlesex, October 6th 2007