IMA HS Hybrid 5dr CVT

Positives: Very smooth & steady ride, even on motorways despite claims of other readers it's one of the best super minis. I've had no issues with the paintwork although my car is on the road almost every day for 6-10 hours. In overall it's well built and under the bonnet it looks much neater than many others. The climate control works very well, sound system just right, and space management in this car is superb. The cruise control is perfectly placed on the steering wheel, much preferred to a separate lever on other cars. Paddle shifters make the car fun to drive if you know how to use them. Negatives: The car certainly is not designed for technical driving on bumpy and curvy narrow country lanes, where it behaves a bit bouncy, however, I wonder whether anyone considering the Jazz would buy it with such kind of driving in mind? Mine has almost 60.000 miles on the clock and had very few minor problems - front battery change within the 1st year under warranty, floor carpet replaced (poor quality material wearing off quickly in key areas). I don't like the fact that one has to have the key in the ignition in order to operate the radio and I find the indicator on this car is very light going/flimsy. With climate control switched on the engine starts almost within seconds after Auto Stop has activated despite fully charged battery. One has to stand on the brake pedal to keep the auto stop activated, with brake lights annoying for following traffic.

Ruedi Preiss, October 4th 2013

i-VTEC S 5dr [VSA]

I've owned a 1.2 Jazz for 18 months. This is one of those cars that is a doddle to drive from the first moment you take off. The 1.2 engine is fine for almost all of the time, very nippy and smooth at town speeds and has surprisingly good legs / pull on the motorway (eg. for overtaking once you're "up to speed"), however getting "up to speed" on certain occasions (eg. on fast slip roads and long hills) can be a bit of a chore. Reliability so far is 100%. Quality of materials is not the very best (hard dark plastics on the dashboard in particular) but the quality of build is fine, no squeaks or rattles. Steering is overly light and a bit floaty on winding roads, but comptetent. 45 - 50 mpg is achievable without trying. Ride quality isn't the disaster that many would make out, not limousine standard but frankly a great good deal more than acceptable. Those rear "magic" seats are brilliant, I assume that Honda have a patent on them for I can only imagine that once it runs out, every (and I mean EVERY) other car manfacturer will follow suit, it's a no-brainer. This is DEFO one of the most spacious cars in the class by some margin. If the driving dynamics were slightly closer to the current Fiesta and the interior quality of materials was slightly closer to the curernt Polo, then... who knows

colin mcgaffin, Antrim, August 10th 2013

IMA HS Hybrid 5dr CVT

Good news first... As long as you drive with a light throttle, which I tend to, then the official mpg figures for the Jazz Hybrid are easily achievable. On a regular 70 mile extra-urban trip, I would get 70+ mpg every time, (cruising at 50mph of course). On my daily 20 mile round trip extra-urban commute (cold start each way), I would get 62 mpg day in day out. Inside the car, the updated dash was funky. The engine was nippy enough. Magic seats as versatile as ever for load carrying, and the new standard driver and passenger seats had perfectly curved lumbar support – the best standard seats I've sat in yet (BMWs included). Now the bad news... Poor primary ride quality – the car crashes over pot holes. Poor secondary ride too – journeys at higher speeds and especially on concrete motorways were a nightmare of constant jiggles and vibrations. Poor cornering grip too. And amazingly, for a car assembled in Japan, lots (and I mean lots) of dashboard and trim squeaks and rattles – I've never heard anything like it before. The steering was overly light too. Summary: I drove the Jazz Hybrid for two months (as a short term company car) and was very glad to get rid of it. After the Jazz Hybrid, I bought a brand new 2013 Fiesta 1.6 petrol auto, which I rate light years ahead of the Jazz Hybrid in every department; and I'm only losing 10mpg to the Jazz, and the Fiesta driver's seat is almost as good. Best car decision I ever made. I would not recommend the Jazz Hybrid at all.

Peter Piper, May 18th 2013

i-VTEC Si 5dr

I have owned this car for 2 years now from 6 months old. It now has Β£21k miles. I mainly use this car for work (I am a GP) and do predominantly urban driving. This is my second Honda Jazz and third Honda Positives - Large Folding wing mirrors - very handy, especially as I live on a narrow private road and this provides excellent visibility - Economical - Interior very practical and I particularly like the large boot - Tight turning circle Negatives - Has 185/55/16 tyres - these usually cost approx. Β£100 each for Dunlop brand. They are very difficult to source and usually need to be ordered. This was particularly problematic when I had a flat tyre recently. - No spare wheel - as with many modern cars now it only came with a puncture repair kit, which is less than useless. - The seats are really uncomfortable - this is my main gripe with the car. - The suspension is very hard, although I do not think the 16 inch alloys help. - Thin paintwork easily chipped by stones on motorway. - Ride / wind noise on motorway is unbearable - I feel the need to put the radio on to drown out the sound. - Let's face it this is not a cool car in the UK (although it arguably is in Japan). I am in my 20s and my friends are bemused as to why i bought it. - I have taken it back to Honda twice as various cheap looking interior plastics have fallen apart! Would I own this car again? This is a definite no. I will be looking for an alternative shortly when the 3 year warranty runs out.

Alexandra Fox, West Yorkshire, January 5th 2013

i-VTEC EX 5dr

1.4 EX model september 2009, mileage around 25000. Onthe roads round eastbourne it suffers badly from the uneven and broken road surfaces. Little softening at all in fact when you go over a slight joint in the road it bangs badly. OK on run on decent roads but noisy at any speed.Spoke to Honda but once they get your dosch they dont seem to care. Inside the seats are very versatile, reasonably comfortable and adjustable. There is a silly gap between the rear seat and the luggage shelf which would point to reclining rear seats available but not fitted.It has a button on flap which drives me mad everytime i have to refit the shelf having carried a bulky item. Performance reasonable for a 1.3 something engine with four in it struggles though.Heating good as is climate control. Stupid sized tyres at 185 55 r16 which NOBODY stocks. Why the hell they chose this size baffles me. So stick to the 15" tyres cheaper ones available to suit your budget. Would i buy another lone...no, what should i have bought? VW Golf 1.6 tdi low mileage demo or similar. Would not have bought this if i had realised ride so bumpy during the test drive. My fault entirely. Dont suppose any one from Honda willread this but it gets it off my chest!!

Graham Barnard, East Sussex, April 15th 2012

i-VTEC EX 5dr

I bought the iShift version of this car and so regretted it. The peformance was jerky and poor bordering on the dangerous in terms of overtaking etc. but, apart from this, the car had absolutely no "spirit" - it was a bland, boring drive with no urgency. No one is saying that this should drive like a performance car - it is not designed for that, but, bearing in mind the cost of the EX version I believe one has a right to expect a more spirited experience. The only plus points were the intelligent seating/boot layout and interior space. The image of the car is also a problem - despite the fact I am retired friends were always making remarks about the "average age of a Jazz owner" - I also noticed during a recent "fly on the wall" documentary with some traffic cops they remarked to the effect "don't worry the Jazz will remain in lane 1". When I recently traded the Jazz in the dealer said the price would be reduced due to the fact it had the iShift gearbox. I've never been less emotional or more delighted about seeing the back of a car than the Honda Jazz EX - how it tops the JD Power charts I really don't know. I replaced the Jazz with an Audi A1 1.4 Sport which brings a smile to my face every time I go out in it.

Paul Madge, March 21st 2012

i-VTEC EX 5dr

My wife and I compared the Honda Jazz to the VW Polo, Nissan Note and Ford Fiesta, overall the Jazz was in our opinion, quieter and much smoother to drive, space was excellent. A very good build quality though perhaps a tad pricey.

Allan Smith, Lincolnshire, February 3rd 2012

i-VTEC Si 5dr

My second review of the Honda Jazz having owned it for 1 year and having done 4,000 miles. Car is still as practical as ever and have never struggled for space since owning it. Have since had a baby and the doors that open almost 90 degrees make getting the baby seat in and out of the car easy. The road noise and wind noise is still not too bad and only really gets unbearable on speeds of 60mph plus. I have tried my hardest but can only get around 42mpg at best for combined driving rather than the 51mpg Honda claim. Regarding Honda Chiswick though the service when buying was faultless I did have to take the Jazz in once and got the car back with a slight scratch and an empty drinks can and crisp packet left in it. I did write a letter to complain buty never received any reply which was disappointing.

Roy Lim, September 16th 2011

i-VTEC EX 5dr

Confirmed Honda owner with three years on CRV and then downsized to Jazz 1.4 ES I-shift. Tried hard to like this car but after 8 months have given up and sold up. Short wheel base gives unsettled ride. Noisy at speed. Motorway driving needs strong concentration as steering wanders. I-shift gearbox is a disaster. Abrupt shifts, no logic to shift patterns with frequent screaming engine in low gears. Dangerous at times when you press the accelerator and nothing is there. Would seriously recommend that you look elsewhere. Experience of this car such that resigned to take a big financial hit and go to another make.

Alan Cownie, Surrey, April 28th 2011

i-VTEC EX 5dr

I have recently test driven 3 new fiestas (1.25 ,1.4 and 1.6), Vauxhall Corsas (1.2 & 1.4) culminating with a Honda Jazz 1.4 EX. The Vauxhalls were very poor on performance, the Fords were acceptable as was the Honda, but the Honda was like driving a different class of car, excellent seating,very quiet engine ( my wife accused me of stalling the engine whilst stood at traffic lights, not the case). The interior is very well thought out and the seating is eminently practical. I intend to purchase once I have sold my existing vehicle (2003 Volkswagen GT TDI 150 bhp) Only giving overall three stars in your review leads me to believe your testers come from the same stable as the moronic J Clarkson who only rates cars of one million Horse Powers ( to use his vernacular)

Geoffrey Porter, South Yorkshire, February 21st 2009

i-VTEC EX 5dr

A well satisfied owner of a CVT. I had 3 road tests of an Ishift in differing conditions to see if suited. I did this because your road test and HJ's differed considerably in their views. The computer mapping of this generation Ishift is seemingly improved. But to be sure it needed a weekend. However the very helpful staff at Chiswick Honda only had one I Shift demo and that appeared in constant demand. The new model is quieter and has a more compliant ride. The seating is more comfortable with modest additional space. The controls work well. The new Jazz is an improvement in most ways but some of the simplicity and sharpness is perhaps missing. I will let you know when it arrives whether the Ishift delivers the sense of driving enjoyment that made the CVT Jazz such a popular car.

Paul WD Nessling, February 15th 2009

i-VTEC SE 5dr

I drove this car as a courtesy while my Honda Jazz 06 plate was in for service and MOT (my car passed with flying colours btw!) I have to say this car was a joy to drive. It has a very 'jazzy' dashboard, however I feel that the quality isn't quite as good as the older Jazz and I thought the upholstery wasn't has higher quality either. I found the steering a little vague in places and is as light as a feather. The engine is incrediably quiet and smooth. It has a flashy computer to tell you your MPG, miles left in your tank, whether your passengers have their seatbelts on (there were so many I can't remember!) It even told me when to change gear! Why it has this function because I don't need to be told when to change gear! Very spacious withe lots of little cubby holes and a perfectly positioned space in the dash to the right of the steering wheel for my mobile phone. The seat was too high for me on the lowest setting and it would've been nice to have been able to have it lower. It's has a good ride to it and doesn't knock or rattle about, which to me indicates to it being well built. Obviously I can't comment on reliability because I only drove it a day, but Honda has an excellent reliability rating being the no.1 car manufacturer. Highly recommended.

Abbi Pitt, February 13th 2009

i-VTEC EX 5dr

I order one 1.4EX 3 day ago . I would like to know if someone can tell me from which country new jazz comming. I am from Luxembourg and honda dealer here said to me that new jazz comming from England.But, I am not sure in that cose i have to wait for my car 4 month.thank you. And yes, car is superb .

Ivan Raseta, February 5th 2009

i-DSI S 5dr

I rate this car as the perfect little runaround. it has reasonable pull very maneuverable petrol seems to last for ever- always over 40mpg space is fantastic, and it can hold a lot of stuff, including bikes. steering wheel adjustment needs to be worked with, but gearbox and visibility are great try to get one with air con, as the dealers don't want to know, come trade-in time! overall a great car, but perhaps needs a bit more in the mid range for overtaking

AUBREY DHANRAJ, MIDDLESEX, January 22nd 2009

i-DSI S 5dr

I have had my 1.2 Jazz for 3 years and it is time for it to retire. It has been an excellent small car. On the positive side, it is very roomy, economical and has not had a single fault in 3 years, which is miraculous. The 1.2 engine is eager enough, its not a sports car after all, but the engine will do everything expected of it without fuss and quietly. I drove it around Scotlands roads for 300 country miles one day, very easily, and averaged 66mpg. Around town 35-40mpg is more likely. If I had to nitpick, I don't like the feel of the steering wheel, the engine is a little annoying at idle, and the ride is a touch firm. I have driven several of the Jazz's competitors, like the Fiesta, Corsa, Ibiza, Micra and 207, the Jazz is the best and drives like a larger car. In fact the 1.2 engine of the Jazz is far superior to the 1.25 Ford and the 1.2 Corsa and Micra. Only the Ibiza's engine is as good. Overall, I would definitely recommend a Jazz, perfect as a small family car.

f lydon, January 11th 2009

i-DSi SE 5dr

I bought this car brand new in March 2003. I usually keep my cars 3 years or 4 if I feel I have a particularly trustworthy car. This is the only car I have ever sold after 18 months. The Good Points: 100% reliable. Very economical - 50mpg average. Clever seats. Held its value quite well - only lost Β£2,500 which, considering I was selling it far too early wasn't bad. Lucky enough to get one without steering or engine power delivery problems. The Bad Points: I have never owned a car that rides so badly crashing and banging about on even the smoothest of surfaces, to the point where I found the car so uncomfortable that after 100 miles I would have a numb backside! Maybe it was just me, but I ride a sports motorbike at the weekend and not even that gives me as bad a numb backside as the Honda Jazz did. There were other issues - rear wiper was a pain, dashboard / steering wheel rather 'hard' plastics, poor finish on the metal inside the doors. I also found the seat material rather prone to snagging. This may have changed in later cars but in 2003 the seats were finished off with a sort of webbing that could catch and pull. So to summarise - plenty of good points but it got to the point I would avoid driving it for longer journeys so I bought a Ford Focus that has been fantastic. Kept it for 4 years it was so good and only just traded it in. Selling the Ford, a great car, reminded me how bad my previous Honda was and prompted me to post this review.

Mike Egan, South Yorkshire, January 8th 2009

i-DSI SE Sport 5dr

My wife and I just recently bought this car and we are in love with it. We looked at other similar cars and the Jazz really 'wowed' them over. It's very 'zippy' when driving in London - highly responsive when it comes to quick turns and great for parking spaces. Very cost efficient and gets the job done. There is lots of space when you need to pack it with things which is great if you compare it to similar cars. The only thing is that because of the engine size, don't expect it to be a race car as you will need to squeeze this car a bit more to get some speed. Overall, great value for your money. Good ticket price and will leave your pockets light in the long run. Especially going into next year, you'll need all the money you can save.

Mikhail Basman, London, December 22nd 2008

i-VTEC EX 5dr

I have recently taken delivery of a new 1.4 EX manual and I have t osay the car is magic. it does everything I need it to do and its comfortable and quiet ona motorway and has pace when it needs it. overall its jus ta nice place to be. refinement is excellent and there is hardly any wind noise what so ever. I dont know why whatcar only given the new honda jazz a three star rating as I think its the best super mini about and its alot better that the new fiesta with out a shadow of doubt. At the end of the day with honda's you pay for quality and this car has lots of it.

Robert Perrett, West Midlands, December 21st 2008

i-VTEC SE 5dr

I test drove the 1.2 SE model and was hoping that it would meet my exacting criteria. Sadly that was not the case. I deliberately chose the most economical version, noting that the CO2 emissions have risen to 125 g/km (from the originally advertised 120), but felt it lacked the acceleration, flexibility & all round performance compared to my reliable, efficient and excellent Skoda Fabia turbo-diesel estate. Yes, the 1.4 (1,339cc) version would have offered better performance, but also higher CO2 emissions, without the high torque and associated flexibility, that I sought. I was hoping that Honda would introduce an excellent turbo-diesel version of their new Jazz, but unfortunately that is not intended; only a more expensive, less popular hybrid. Hence Honda will lose numerous sales, including my next purchase. Why Honda chooses not to cater for the diesel market, unlike vertually all of its competitors is a mystery to me, especially as their faster, heavier 2,204cc CIVIC turbo-diesel gives a superior combined MPG than their most economical new petrol Jazz model. Hence I shall look elsewhere, until such time as Honda sees the light & embraces diesel technology for their otherwise excellent supermini.

Mark Catherwood, Hants., December 15th 2008

i-VTEC EX 5dr

Superb little car, brilliant design, first class engineering and outstanding dealer in Basingstoke. EX spec is excellent, especially for those trading from larger cars. Seat comfort as good as it gets and ride unbelievable for a car that is only 3.9 metres long. Load space huge and very well thought out. On the road it has all the power you need, very quiet at all times, a great gearchange and it sips petrol. Expensive if you view it at a supermini but it has space that shames many family saloons a size or more up. Simply reinvents the small car. Try it, buy it.

Martyn Allez, Wiltshire, December 13th 2008