Hyundai Accent Hatchback Owner reviews

TD GSi 5dr

I bought this car new in May 2004. To date I have clocked up 87,000 miles and not once has the Accent let me down. It's the most reliable car I have ever had. The rear wiper switch failed last year, but was replaced under warranty. I would definitely purchase Hyundai in the future.

Philip Boyce, Down, March 9th 2008

TD GSi 5dr

My family has owned this 2003 Accent for 18 months and I love it. The only major problem was with the rear suspension though this was repaired at the expense of the gagage that sold me the car. It has sailed through all MOTs and services, needing no repairs at all. The car really shifts when needed and is a nice smooth ride on the motorway. No mod cons in the cabin though I feel this is reflected in the price of these cars. Mine was only £2400 when I bought it in 2006. The interior has stood up well to my three children. Unfortunately, the Accent has to go as we now need a 6 or 7 seater and I will be gutted to see the back of it.

zoe nuttall, February 15th 2008

Si 3dr

Have had mine for nearly 4 years now and I am reluctantly selling it due to a new job where I will be driving a lot. Sadly there is a lack of air conditioning which I now need. Dispite two gear box rebuilds early on, covered by hyundai, and an electric window, I have not had to replace anything! Not the best car for handling, but the cheepest car I have ever owned to buy and to run!

Ian Dart, September 2nd 2007

MVi 3dr

I have a mixed feeling about this car. I had a 2000 Accent 1.5 MVi coupé for 8 months. The seating position was good (driver's seat had height adjustment), steering was tilt adjustable. The car had AC, sunroof, electric windows and mirrors, alloys etc. The interior was good at that price range. Handling was also good though it induced body roll during cornering. Parking was easy as I could see the bonnet. Fuel economy was 35-40mpg. I drove the car several times over 3-4 hours at a stretch without any pain. Although the car was mechanically sound, its biggest problem was electronic troubles. The ABS packed up. Fixing it was very costly as it involved replacing sensors and the driveshaft. The immobiliser was temperamental. Often it refused to start the car at very inconvenient moments! I had to call RAC twice. The engine developed a leak and was losing oil. The electric windows sometimes stuck up halfway. I had to replace the clutch at 70,000 miles. When it was launched, no other car offered so many features at that price. But reliability could have been better. They are still around - quite cheap at used prices. Buy one with full service history only, otherwise you may find yourself continuously replacing parts like cambelt, clutch, sensors etc (or might be I was just unlucky!)

S Basak, July 4th 2007

GSi 5dr

I brought this car in March 2005. Since then I have done 30,000 (motorway) miles and the only problems that I have had were the wearing of tyres and putting my CD player in! This has been the most reliable car I have ever had, and would recommend anyone to grab one. The only things they do lack is specialist equipment, but I'm sure there are ones with all the mod cons (this was a 1997 model).

Byron Bentley, June 3rd 2007

CDX 5dr

A great little runabout used hard by my son and he loves it...and it attracts little attention from yobs or the police

andrew tweddle, durham, February 9th 2007

MVi 3dr

i have had my car for 7 years, the reason being is that i have never had a problem with it atall. General things that have needed changing or fixing, but nothing major. The electric windows both went after i had it about 2 years. The only thing i have to say about it which isnt up brilliant is the drive. Its great at picking up speed but it does seem to slide on corners, and the handling is quite difficult around roundabouts until you are very used to its habits. But this is a small thing and you do get used to it, i love my car and its going to be hard to find a better one. but i have to becouse i need more doors!

candie dewhurst, lancashire, January 27th 2007

CRTD GSI 5dr

This car has a split personality. At low speeds, the engine sounds like an old taxi. It's also got a long nose and is therefore difficult to park in tight spaces. However, get it on to the motorway and suddenly it transforms into a long distance tourer. The engine noise drops away and you begin to appreciate the level of equipment and the decent ride. It'll do 50mpg happily and has more than enough tourque for any task. It might not be everyone's cup of tea and certainly it isn't going to win any beauty contests, but this car's a good option that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Peter McInnes, April 19th 2006

GSI 3dr

This is Korean 'value' at its height. Paper mache interior, an engine that is as songful as a vacuum and it is as interesting as flour. It starts at a much too expensive 8 grand, but for that you could be driving a Polo, or even a used Focus. It isn't great value, it's slow, ugly, and looks like a goldfish that drowned. Comparing this to a Polo or Focus is like comparing a champange and lobster dinner to a family bucket at KFC. Avoid like the plague...

Jon Tor, west midlands, September 10th 2005

GSI 5dr

My car is on a 02 plate never let me down once. Not as bad as people say. Not bad for three years peace of mind and only cost 7000.00 brand new. Thank you.

mark buzec, essex, August 17th 2005

CRTD GSI 5dr

I am very pleased with my Hyundai after three years of ownership. I live in Spain and feel very safe driving the car here. Moreover there is never any lack of power in the engine and there are some VERY big mountains out here and some very competitive drivers. I have never been impressed by the toys which more expensive cars offer. Safety and performance are my main concerns. Both in terms of fuel expenditure and servicing costs I am really delighted with the car. And it has loads of space and is comfortable to drive.

Peter Bailey, June 16th 2005

GSI 5dr

AFTER GETTING A DECENT DISCOUNT OFF THE LIST PRICE, CONSIDERABLY BEATING THE WHAT CAR?TARGET PRICE, I FEEL I HAVE GOT A GOOD CAR - IF LACKING THE BADGE OF A "BETTER" MANUFACTURER. I THINK TO JUDGE THE CAR FAIRLY, IT MUST BE COMPARED TO THE RIVALS IN ITS PRICE RANGE SUCH AS THE CORSA OR FIESTA.

SCOTT POWLES, WILTS, April 4th 2005

CRTD GSI 5dr

Cheap and cheerful, bread and butter car. Initially (for at least 30,000 miles) mine hasn't met the mpg claim as advertised.

Naren Ranpuria, November 7th 2004