Premium 5dr

Nearly on a 1,000 miles. I waited a while for the car, but can confirm it is well worth the wait. You get a lot of car for your money and a lot of refinement. Crisp, bright interior with simple controls and excellent seals that mean with even the 1.2 engine you hear the most minimal noise. I've got a morning blue exterior, so opted for the blue cuts on the interior that look nice going across the dashboard. Most impressive is that you really do feel that you are driving a car in a bigger class - space is really good (as is visibility) for drivers and passengers alike and the ride is comfortable over short and long distances. I don't really use it as a 'city car' and can confirm its equally good on country roads as it is in more urban environments. Suspension copes well and there's a real lack of body roll which means cornering is not a problem. I opted for the 1.2 because I regularly travel on a motorway and it definitely isn't sluggish. It is a little slow off the mark, but as you get into the revs it really gives you a lot - its quite easy to get upto a very high speed without realising it! The engine is nicely throaty and is more than enough for what you will need on English roads. It isn't as frugal as the 1.0, but I'm getting relatively good MPG without consciously driving for it either, plus the engine is still bedding in. Handling at low speed is excellent - the turning circle fantastic. Add in a five-year warranty and I think it is a terrific car.

Andy Whiteway, Herts, June 21st 2014

SE 5dr

Changed for one of these after having an i20. Had a good look at the VW Up but was disappointed by the poor deals on offer from the local vw dealer and poor support from the driver seat. Can't understand why it gets the top rating from What car? The hyundai i10 beats it hands down in virtually all areas as well as having the best warranty in the country at the moment. The car drives and rides exceptionally well on the very poor road surfaces we have to put up with in the south west. Performance is very good for the engine size and fuel economy is around the 48mpg mark on a car that is not run in yet.

richard goss, devon, June 13th 2014

Premium 5dr

I downsized from the Hyundai ix 35 ( which was a great car )to the i10. Yes a big jump to make but after test driving the i10 on two occasions and being offered a great deal by the dealer I took the chance. I am glad I did for the i10 is a fantastic car. So far I have been up and down hills and on the motorway. Okay so you have to work the gearbox differently especially on hilly roads but that is not a problem once you get used to the gears. On the motorway I suddenly found I was doing 85 mph...it is that quiet ! Inside feels like you are in a bigger car , great to drive ,and great vision from the inside of the car . I did not buy it as a city car because I don't live anywhere near a city ! We live in a rural area and occasionally do a motorway trip and the car does everything perfect.I have driven Nissan's / Skoda's and other Hyundai's and this is the best car yet !

malcolm crow, cleveland, June 11th 2014

Blue 5dr

I've had the i10 Blue for just over a year and have had a succession of problems: driver's side window was replaced because of screeching noise, driver's side lock had to be replaced as key was getting stuck, dashboard lights flickering (awaiting newly designed part from Hyundai), radio consistently flicks away from stations, bubbling on paint work caused by rust at driver's side rear wheel, loud vibration from area behind accelerator normally from around 3000 rpm (dealer replaced part which reduced the noise but did not eradicate completely) and , finally, and most worryingly, it has real difficulties starting on cold mornings. It's been back to the dealer several times and they can find no problem and I have been told to "let the fault develop". Other than this, it's nippy getting on the motorway, runs well, and is pretty economical. Sadly, however, this experience of Hyundai has meant I will never buy another, despite the fact I may have just been unlucky enough to buy a dud. Back to Toyota for me.

TO Williams, Renfrewshire, September 1st 2013

Classic 5dr

I had a 4 year old Corsa 1.4 bought when it was 1 year old. It was starting to get expensive; engine lights coming on, constant bills and very, very expensive work from the Vauxhall dealer. I got a good trade in on a nearly new Hyundai i10 and have owned it for 3 months now – a nearly new car for Β£3500 plus my Corsa! Good points: roomy for the size, nippy around town and motorways, great stereo and zircon, good suspension, all laid out well, Β£20 road tax, cheap insurance, 5 years including RAC. Bad points: struggles up steep hills, very, very disappointing mileage for mixed driving, some paintwork scratches have appeared (too easily?), wind noise at higher speeds makes listening to music hard work, no deadlocks and doors seem a little β€˜tinny’ when closing. Overall, I like the car and am glad I bought it. It’s good value for money and so far, very reliable.

Dave Wine, July 23rd 2013

Classic 5dr

Traded in a 3 yr old Corsa for my '62-plate i10 but wished I hadn't. Positives: quite a lot of car for the money, 5 door practicality, comfortable enough, USB socket on stereo, air-con, Β£20 pa Road Tax, cheaper insurance than my Corsa despite being in a higher group, good performance for the type of car, bought car with a 3 year/35k service pack from dealer for Β£350, so hopefully no unexpected bills. Negatives: delivered with scratches on dashboard and stereo (dealer's fault, not car), OSR passenger door misaligned from new and rear edge sits about 3mm pround of the rest of the bodywork (appears to be factory build issue), best mpg is 48 so far, VERY ANNOYING over-revving when changing gear - seems from forums that it's a common problem. Dealer didn't want to acknowledge issue, but I hated the way the car drove and was seriously considering selling it on after only a few months. Read an answer from a Hyundai Technician on an internet forum of a software update that would solve the issue, and after badgering them about it, they eventually uploaded the update (Update No: HFE12-14-E280-PA) and car now drives like a normal car! Had had a few strange noises and burning smells from the clutch/transmission so hope any problems materialise within the clutch 20k mile warranty. Bought after numerous positive reccommendations on the Honest John website but wished I hadn't. A career change later this year will give me the opportunity to sell it at 1 yr old and I won't miss it.

Ken Walker, February 3rd 2013

Classic 5dr

This, my second I10, is a better all round proposition than the 1.2 Classic Mark 1 that preceeded it. Fit, finish, paintwork and equipment is much improved. Although economy isn't brilliant (38-45mpg after 3000 miles), the engine is smoother and quieter than the non-VVT equipped motor previously. Power and torque are improved and delivery is more consistent with fewer flat spots. As with my previous model, visibility is excellent, tax is even cheaper and the car cruises well on the motorway and is perky enough round town. A retrograde step is the move from disks to drum brakes on the rear wheels. The car doesn't stop as well but rear wheels remain clean, which saves valeting time. Overall, there is room for improvement but this is one of the cheapest cars on the market to buy and run and provides a decent all round package.

Tom Munro, February 17th 2012

Active 5dr

I bought this car in October and have done nearly 1000 miles so far. I have 3 children aged 6,10 and 12, and a 6'3" husband and we can all fit in this car comfortably. The equipment level is amazing with air con, 4 electric windows, alloys, fogs,and remote central locking plus I can control my ipod via the stereo controls now that I have spent Β£15 on a special cable. I think the car looks really dinky, sporty and cute in white. The dashboard plastics and seat material seem very cheap, but they do appear to be tough, which is really more important, as I hope to eventually pass this car onto my eldest when he learns to drive in 5 or 6 years. The gear change is easy with a well placed gear stick, and the steering is lite. Its perfect for my commute to work and back. The boot is small, but OK for about 4 shopping bags, and on a big shop with the kids I can put the split fold rear seat down flat for extra boot space while still seating 4. Road tax of Β£20 is fabulous, and fuel economy seems decent so far, though fingers crossed it will improve with more miles. I seem to get 300 miles on a Β£35 full tank round town. Finally, I'm glad to have a spare wheel rather than a repair kit like my husbands s-max. Having paid Β£7500 for this car brand new, I can't see any real competition for it. We looked at the C1, Panda and 500 and all seat only 4 and can't touch it on kit. This is a great car for the money.

richard Horn, West Yorkshire, January 12th 2012

Comfort 5dr

I've just sold this car after nearly 3 years of ownership, so I've got to know it quite well! The equipment level is really good for this class of car, particularly at the price, though the cabin is a little like being cocooned in hard black plastic. I don't like the wheels - those alloys are impossible to keep clean with their narrow slots. The ride is a little jittery too, and it's impossible to pull away smoothly with the juddery clutch, although I heard there was a fix for that and it only occurs on the earliest versions of the 1.2. My car also had a wheel bearing failure at 8000 miles - not good, Hyundai, though obviously it was fixed under warranty. The headlamp adjusters whirr constantly behind the dash which is clearly a fault, but I never bothered to get it fixed. Oh - and the aux-in socket has intermittant loss of contact, so I couldn't play my MP3 player through the audio. Anyway, faults aside the car was quite good fun to drive and the 1.2 engine is nippy for suburban driving, although it will run out of legs when you accelerate to motorway speeds. The latest facelifted version (mine was a 58 plate) is much better looking and holds its own amongst any of the European competitors. And while we're on the subject of the competition - where else would you buy a car this much fun, this well equipped, and with a 5 year warranty? OK, Kia....

Paul Scott, Surrey, December 7th 2011

Classic 5dr

Just recently purchased a facelifted version of the I10 Classic in Metallic Grey for Β£6995. Wht a cracking little car. High quality build, very comfortable seats and a reassuring warranty. But what really amazes me about this car is the way it drives. I honestly believe that if BMW built a city car they would have problems matching this cars prowess. Steering, gearchange and brakes all top draw, rides beautifully too. But its the engine that really seals the deal here its so eager and full of life its a real hoot every day. Having looked around all the other Hyundai`s in the showroom i think this is a bit special by comparison, they all left me a bit cold. The I10 IS A GENIUS SMALL CAR.

jon higgins, suffolk, May 15th 2011

Comfort 5dr

I have owned my 1.1 Comfort for almost 3 years, brilliant car and very well specified for a City car. Apart from one or two intermittent creaks that come an go the car has performed brilliantly. I am getting around 40 mpg around town and 52 mpg on a run. I have been to Belgium twice and undertaken a number of longer motorway trips from the Midlands. Apart from routine servicing I have not had any other problems to record. I am now about to trade my 1.1 Comfort in for a 1.2 Active, looking forward to at least 3 more years of i10 ownership.

Michael Keen, Leicestershire, May 11th 2011

Comfort 5dr

An excellent town car and very good on the motorway too. Excellent visibility and very quiet also. The auto box on my 1.2 Comfort is also similarly excellent - the best auto box I've driven! Very good build quality and good MPG as well! I thoroughly recommend this car - and when you see the price, you will be blown away from the competition. Oh and a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty too!

Glyn Coles, Cambs, December 29th 2008

Comfort 5dr

We looked at the Renault Twingo (wife wanted 5 doors), Smart For2 (she hated it and only 2 doors), Citroen C1, and Pugeot/Toyota versions (TOO noisy) Skoda Fabia (too big), and went to the Hyundai dealer as a last resort.. She loved it :) My wife wanted a 1.2 Comfort Auto but there wasn't one available so settled for a 1.1 as we thought that Comfort and Auto combined were worth more than 0.1. Excellent city car, in town we can't fault it, the high seating position (and rear parking sensors) gives my wife new confidence in town and parking. As we live about 5 mins from our mutual office and less than 10 mins from the nearest shopping mall we feel we chose the right car for the job, so far we've taken the i10 on one 75mile M-Way trip and although it won't be my choice it's capable of doing the job when required, which will be about 12 times a year. It's just too light and suffers from side winds on the m-way, but is not uncomfortably noisy at 70mph. Sound system drowns what there is anyway. Fuel consumtion is so low it's not worth calculating. Build quality seems to be excelent and materials are better than expected. Gripes? We would have paid more for a higher spec but thats not the market its aimed at! Conclusion: If you want a city car with 5 doors, look no further!

Paul Allery, December 18th 2008

Comfort 5dr

I love this little car to bits. My wife hates the look of it. Each to their own. It's easy to drive and an amazing amount of kit for the money. We downsized from the i30 simply to save money all round: on tax, insurance, petrol and repayments. You feel six inches taller as the driving position is high; more so than the i30, but that suits me fine. Gears are a breeze to select, which I prefer from the i30, which were a lot stiffer. The intermittent wipes aren't variable, but that's a tiny gripe. The seats are firm, which I like and I can still plug my iPod in through the Aux socket and it sounds great. Overall I'm thrilled with it. The only down-side is a small but annoying rattle coming from somewhere around the CD area on the dash, more pronounced over bumpy roads or at low revs. It's been there since day 1 and we're taking it back for the dealer to have a look next week. The road noise while driving isn't too obtrusive, and I'd much rather hear that than this rattle. If that can be fixed it's a definite 5-stars all round.

Ian Goodwin, November 14th 2008

Classic 5dr

I have now had this car for 3 weeks only and I can only sing its praises. You will have to go far to find anything to compete against it in the price range up to Β£8000. I use it to commute 100 mile per day and I find it relatively comfortable. The sound system is great and my MP3 player lives in the cubbyhole. Mine has the rear wash/wipe function. The thing that I miss is the intermittent function on the windshield wiper. The engine is more than enough for what I use the car for. The car is not run in yet so I have achieved more than 50mpg yet.

Lesly Herbay, Buckinghamshire, October 5th 2008

Comfort 5dr

Have had my i10 since May and I'm very happy. But after doing just over 1000 miles have noticed a loud rattle from the front end when you go over rough or broken roads. Has anyone else had this problem? It has been fixed twice now by Hyundai, who say it is a lack of grease on the front caliper slides and the problem does go away for a few hundred miles. Other than this is a great little car. It's my second Hyundai.

sean flyn, merseyside, July 28th 2008

Comfort 5dr

We’ve had our i10 Comfort for a couple of months now and have driven it for about 2500km (we live in Spain so all details will be in km/kph) and we must say we like it very much. We have taken it way out of its comfort zone heading into southern France some 4hrs from Barcelona β€œover” the Pyrenees and it copes quite well. Ok it struggles quite a bit on some hills and you have to be patient but once wound up it cruises along admirably. Luckily there are many two-line roads so cars can pass you easily. But my attitude is that if you buy a car with only 66bhp you have to drive it in an economical way and know that you won’t be overtaking much. But this is ok with us as even when we could go faster we toddle along enjoying the scenery! As for steering, brakes, suspension and general handling, I can’t fault it. The car gives the impression that it would stop on a stamp and the steering is very responsive and light. .

Steve Dodd, July 25th 2008

Comfort 5dr

This is a cracking little motor! Great spec: air con, remote locking, full electric pack(all windows and mirrors), air bags, alloys to name a few. Also power steering, which make parking and manovering and absolute doddle. You still get good feedback from the steering when driving, so on the right roads, you can still have a litte bit of fun with it. The driving position feels slightly elevated, giving a superb view of the road and all round visablity is very good owing to the large side mirrors. The dashboard layout is practical, all the right controls in all the right places. The radio/cd, it has to said, is excellent. Six speakers and a aux port, so you're able to hook up an iPod or MP3. I'm 6ft1" and have a comfortable driving position with room for a passenger behind. 3x3point seatbelts in the back, however I do wonder if 3 adults would be comfortable(unless they are Rita, Sue and Bob too that is). The boot space is ample with a handy stroage tray under the floor aswell. Not big enough for golf clubs but you can fit a moderate side suitcase,or a few bags of shopping. Rear folding back seats are simple and light to adjust and once down, I managed to fit a packed washing machine in with the boot closed. The engine is more than enough for town driving, sure it's not the fastest off the mark, but how many times do you really need hamiltonesque acceleration? On the motorway, which i do alot of between Leeds and Sheffield, it's perfectly happy at 70.

George McKinnon, June 20th 2008

Comfort 5dr

This is an update to my earlier review. Two months and 2,500 miles on I'm still waiting for Hyundai to supply the parts for the air-bags and I still have a passenger seat that is coming apart. Apart from their lack of customer service this is a cracking little car. I average 48mpg, the air-con works better than in my Peugeot 206cc, steering is light and with discs all round it stops "dead"! Steering wheel, seats and gear-knob could be better quality but overall pretty good. I just wish someone at Hyundai would fix faults that should never have been there in the first place, never mind supplied to a customer.

Les Williams, June 2nd 2008

Classic 5dr

With regard to the rear wiper issue, the first demonstrators are now being advertised for sale at some dealerships, several I have seen on the web had no rear wash/wiper fitted. The i10 brochure does not even mention if it is standard or optional equipment, so maybe only some of the early models were effected. I popped into a Hyundai dealer yesterday to have a look over this car, they only had one available to view which had just arrived in their compound, as they had sold out. I am 6ft 2in tall and was able to adjust the driver seat into a comfortable position, and then sit in the seat behind me, with my knees only just brushing the backrest. Three people my size could have sat in the back in reasonable comfort, quite surprising for such a small car, but very little boot space unfortunately. Also probably not a suitable car for long motorway trips, otherwise it seemed excellent value at the price.

Michael Morton, May 29th 2008