CRDi Blue Drive Active 5dr

I have had this car for 2 years and been back to the dealer 6 times other than for service. The quality of this car is poor and the warranty mediocre. The steering wheel trim disintegrated and was replaced under warranty. The rear stop light went and it would have been easy to replace only the fitting screws to the cover were cross threded. There was a hand brake recall. All these were covered under warranty but had two visits each time to assess and order parts. Now I find the clutch has gone I have done 26000 miles. I have been driving for 35 years and never had any clutch problems. I realise this is not covered under warranty as it is down to driver use. The clutch part costs Β£70 as opposed to a Vw nearer Β£200. I think you have to draw your own conclusion as to the quality of these parts. It is a good looking car but depreciation is enormous. On writing to Hyundai to advise of these issues I was advised that VW only offer 6 months 6500 mile warranty on a clutch. It is an interesting comparison, however, I would be interested to see how many VW clutch go in under 30000 miles to Hyundai i30. It is a car built to compete in a competitive market but the quality of component is poor and although it is competitively priced pay a bit more for a VW group car and the quality is more assured.

Jerry Brees, LANCASHIRE, October 25th 2014

CRDi Premium 5dr

Since my last review I have had no problems, and car is going well On a recent 400 mile round trip, I did one stretch of around 100 miles averaging 60MPH, and I got 69 to the gallon, even with the air-con on. That was impressive. Car is comfortable on long trips, so well done Hyundai

Paul Allen, West Mids, May 21st 2011

CRDI Style 5dr

I have owned this car for a year now and overall I am very impressed with it. There are a couple of points that I think should be mentioned that are not all the cars fault. The 2010 model of the 1.6crdi estate comfort does not come with front fog lights. The fuel comsumption is no where near the stated mpg. I drive the car about 50/50 with my wife and mostly on country roads, some motorway and some town driving. Our average fuel consumption is 45/46 MPG. There have been occassions when I have been the only driver for a few weeks and really trying to get the most out of it I only managed 52.5 MPG. When I contacted my dealer about this I was just told that the actual figures I would get will be lower the stated in the book. I have also had a problem with the immobiliser unit and the car not starting. The dealer I bought the car from were very good and sorted my problem very quickly under the 5 year warranty. These points aside I really like the comfort and drive of the car and there is more than enough space in the back for kids/luggage etc.. I would recommend this car to anyone.

David Lord, March 2nd 2011

CRDi Comfort [2010] 5dr [6]

A great car to own. It is very quiet at motorway speeds and economical. It can be a bit bouncy in town with the stiff suspension. I had the suspension looked at twice since I bought the car in Novenber last year due to knocking from one wheel. A known fault with this model. The car is only a year and half old. Would I reconmend the car? A good alternative to a BMW, without the snob value, but better value and equipement.

Robert Chick, Suffolk, February 23rd 2011

CRDi Comfort 5dr

Robert Chick, Suffolk, February 23rd 2011

CRDi Comfort 5dr

12 months & just 8000 miles, car need new wiper arm as wiper smears(blade i fine)new steering column(creaks)and washer pump(operate rear wash & front also operates). Service & insurance costs are very high, fuel economy is good though, dealer service is shocking, glad the car has 5 year warranty. Its a cheap car, but cheap for a reason.

stuart parker, west sussex, September 27th 2010

CRDi Comfort [2010] 5dr [6]

stuart parker, west sussex, September 27th 2010

CRDi Premium 5dr

I bought this car as a year old demonstrator with less than 3000 miles at under Β£11000 (I would never buy new again!) and am really impressed. Having owned two Hyundai Getz and covering 80000 miles in four years, I knew about Hyundai reliability but we wanted a bigger, more comfortable car mainly for commuting. It is comfortable, quiet, well built and has more than adequate real world performance. The surprise was its economy though. I registered an overall 46 mpg with my diesel Getz but am obtaining a continuous 50 mpg with the i30 on mixed urban and main road driving. This went up to 54 mpg on a trip to Wales. I think this is because of the greater flexibility of this engine. Hyundai certainly know how to get you hooked as a customer, as I have found that, for my motoring needs, I could not afford to look elswhere. They had better watch their service though as two months after purchase at a non local dealer, despite loads of calls and promises, we still haven't received the missing locking wheel nut spanner and spare key, making every journey a worry. (perhaps one disadvantage of not buying new!)

barry dodkin, essex, January 10th 2009

Style 5dr [124]

i'm really happy with this car it's very stable on the road good acceleration great interior quality lots of options looks good excellent brakes the space for the passengers is great

fahd yehia, January 3rd 2009

CRDi Premium 5dr

I was in the market for a new car, i did the rounds at different dealerships test driving a focus, fabia, astra, leon, 207. It was only by chance when i went with my dad to see about a car for himself did i come accross the I30. Id never heard of one until then, I sat in on his test drive and decided i was having one myself! The diesel engine is quiet and certainly not lacking in power, effortlessly cruising at motorway speeds. A fantastic range of extras! The car is bigger than it looks, the wheel base is long, steering is light, like in other hyundai cars. Plenty of room for someone who is 6.2ft tall. Fuel ecconomy is very good for a car with 138 BHP.

Daniel Westwood, July 19th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

Very dissapionted with the vehicle, Did not get a good deal. On driving home on the very first day there was a problem, misfire/judder through the whole chassis at about 1500-2000 revs, took the car back diagnostics revealed nothing. The car has been back three times for them to change various parts,on the third time they had it for two weeks with senior tecs to look at it. I had enough of it told them what to do with the car, still waiting to get a refund, so much hassle when on finance. Sloppy dealer attitude. Will not be buing from them again.

Craig MacDonald, Essex, July 11th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

If your thinking of buying this car, DO!!!! its just such a good car. I have had it for 3000 trouble-free and cheap miles. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It is comfortable, economical, spacious and practical. It averages 48-50 mpg at a fair lick on the motorway. I cant vouch for the service yet, but I can vouch for the sales team who cut me a fantastic deal when I purchased it. I went for the premium and was amazed to find that the "optional extras" list is so short, metallic paint to be precise, the car has everything else as standard. In conclusion, this is car is value for money personified, without the need to scrip on quality, well done Hyundai for providing such a great car.

Kevin Cusack, Buckinghamshire, May 21st 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

Thinking of buying an i30? - Don't! Not until you are sure the service department have been trained and assessed in the new features that are installed. Within two weeks of buying my car I had to take it back as the tyre pressure warning light repeatedly came on. The 'service' dept said 1) it was a faulty sensor 2) the tyres were fine and 3) that the car was safe to drive. Normally 2 out of 3 wouldn't be too bad but I ended up driving an unsafe vehicle. It seems the service department were unaware that the sensor would release pressure if it read that the tyres were over inflated. Hyundai are of the opinion that their franchises are suitably trained - that opinion is certainly questionable. Still waiting to have a formal response - great customer service!

jude nicholas, May 17th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

We have just placed an order for the 1.6CRDi Premium after an extended 3 day test drive. The car was superb in every aspect and in our view was much much better than the focus, golf, astra, megane, 308 etc. If you can get past the badge snobbery this is one of the best cars around. Whilst this is our 'City car' and we have an Audi Q7 as the 'motorway car', the quality of materials is not too dissimilar.

Jabbar Sardar, West Yorkshire, May 17th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

This is a great car, I bought the Premium 1.6 CRDi with an automatic gearbox and I chose this after investigating very carefully all the other cars in this class. I have to say I didn't expect it to be as good as it is, but chose it based on value for money and was expecting a reasonable quality cheap car with a reasonable level of kit. How wrong I was, I've driven over 350 miles in the first week and I cannot find fault with it, it looks good, drives brilliantly, is extremely comfortable and has a very high level of specification. As with most cars it doesn't match the fuel consumption figures advertised but it's not far short. The 1.6 engine is great and when accelerating it's difficult to believe that it's a diesel 1,6 automatic, as it goes so well. Add on the 5 year warranty and this really must be the best value car in it's class by a long way. Well done Hyundai, all those badge snobs just don't realise what they're missing !

John Relf, Cornwall, April 3rd 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

I have just placed an order for the Premium 1.6 CRDI. I have test driven it three times just to check that it was as good as I thought it was the time before. I have test driven all the serious contenders such as the Focus & Golf and found the i30 more comfortable and the diesel engine more refined. I find it pretty nice in the way of looks, better than focus but shy of the Golf. For the money the equipment and quality levels are fantastic and i believe should pave the way for other less generous manufacturers that rip you off. I will review again when I get some miles on the clock.

Matthew Hunt, Kent, February 17th 2008

Style 5dr

I have owned my 1.4 Style for ten days, and have covered only 200 miles, but first thoughts are that the 1.4 engine feels very feeble, though this may improve with time. Reports suggest that I should have gone for the 1.6 petrol or diesel versions. The ride, contrary to road test reports, feels very hard, especially to a rear-seat passenger who felt uncomfortable in a very short time. The level of equipment is very high, the seats are very supportive and comfortable, and the level of safety equipment is very reassuring. I realise that I chose the wrong engine, and possibly the wrong car, but I will report again after the car has covered about 1,000 miles, when things may have improved

Brian jones, Essex, February 12th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

Firstly i would like to dissagree with whatcar saying this car does not look as classy as its rivals ! The premium model that i have driven and just placed an order for does not get any better for this class of car.The styling is fresh with clean lines,seems like a mixture of all the best bits of its rivals put togeather.The premium model with its endless list of accessories oozes class and quality and the 17" alloys are a very nice touch.I opted for the 1.6 diesel automatic which is very smooth,quite,and refined in my opinion there are few cars out there to match the i30 and thats before you start looking at the 5year warranty and 3yrs 0%finance option currently being offered.

mark cowan, surrey, January 19th 2008

CRDi Premium 5dr

First off, I am a very high mileage user. I have done 5500 miles since I got my car on Oct 29th 2007, and normally do 25+k miles per year. My previous cars were an Rx-8 and a BMW 320d. I thought the latter would be the answer but I found it uncomfortable on the run-flat tyres and downright dangerous around town due to the turbo lag. It wanted to go when you wanted to stop! I traded in and went for this car and I am completely satisfied with it. It has all the safety equipment and is a delight to drive. I regularly do a 80 mile round trip commute and I used to get 44 mpg with the BMW but I get 50 mpg with the Hyundai. The handling is really good and the softer ride makes it very comfortable. It is not a sports car but my model has the same tyre width as the Rx-8 and despite going through snow and heavy rain through the Peak District I have never had the ESP activate once. The RX-8's would activate around a roundabout!!! As a family car it's very practical,with loads of room in the back (better than the BMW 1-series easily) and will cope with the baby's buggy as well. As a former "prestige badge" owner, I have to admit that the Hyundai delivers where the BMW did not. Simply put, I have warmed to the i30, and I never did that with the BMW 320d.

DAVID BARR, GLASGOW, January 15th 2008

CRDi Style 5dr

I have never owned a Hyundai, but after my Astra diesel was written off my father suggested buying one. After a 15-min test drive I was sold. Pretty much everything comes as standard and I got a very good deal at the time as this was a demonstrator with only 40 miles on the clock. The drive is very comfortable, and I am over 6ft and this does not seem to be any problem either after some adjustments. The build quality is very good with loads of storage and buttons to press. Not much road noise on motorways either, and I do over 70 miles per day on motorways. The performance of the diesel is great too, very quick compared to other models. I had to take it back to the dealer within the first week for an indicator issue. However, Hyundai sent me a hire car within the hour and the RAC (3 years free with Hyundai) picked my car up at the same time. Five star service in my opinion, and I have a further 5 years of this! The hire car was an 07 Astra, very nice car but I much preferred the i30 to be honest, and would not swap.

James Hamilton, December 16th 2007