GSI 5dr 2WD

I've owned this car now for a couple of years. I have to say that it has never been a car that I have considered to be particularly good looking. The bonnet/hood in particular is funky looking. But, it's not horribly ugly. It's OK to drive, although it is sloppy around corners. It's great for long distance motorway driving, quiet and comfortable. It isn't overloaded with power, but it's certainly powerful enough for hauling around a family of four without any problems. It's very reliable, and we've never had any problems with it. When you compare this with any other compact SUV, it has to come out on top - cheap, functional and well equipped. My one and only criticism is fuel consumption. It doesn't even get close to the figures published, no matter how carefully you drive it.

Roger Alderson, January 8th 2009

CRTD GSI 5dr [138]

i have owned various make of vehicles over the years .including saaba fords nissan apart from my old saab900{lovely car r reg} nothing come close to my present car.i bought a new hyundai i30 1.4 petrol from bcc ay bolton .i had it fo about 7 months but had to sell it because i have severe back problems .by the way the i30 is a superb car if it wernt for my back i would still have it.back to the tucson! i spent months looking for a used car and i found one ata garage in north wales.when i got here we did a straight swap.i thing that i got the better ebd of the deal .the car was like new a credit to its previous owner.it had done 10k and it looked like it had never been driven.granted its not the best engine {113 bhp} not as good as the 138 but still a very good car.well equiped and nice to drive anyone with back problems should try this car .i will be keeping this one for a long time its just passed its MOT and i am so pleased with it .dont be put off by the badge .at the moment hyundai are doing a new top of the range tucson for 14500k!!!!! manchester hyundai if you are interested if i had the cash i would get one

anthony beer, uk, December 14th 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

Having suffered years of Land Rover problems (Two Freelanders and a Disco). Needed a reliable vehicle. Looked at Freelander 2 price a joke and to many emerging problems. Picked up brand new top spec Tucson CDX limited diesel for price of second hand Freelander. Just coming up to 12 months and 20k service no problems other than dealer not securing under tray at first service. Fuel economy improves with miles, tows twin 1500kg caravan all day at 60 and still gives 30mpg (37+ solo) Good points. Interior space, equipment, surprisingly refined, reasonable power (138bhp),black interior better than grey in my opinion. Bad points. 10k service intervals, badge, Bit plastic inside but Audi A3 not much better. If you want a compact SUV try one back to back with Freelander 1 knocks spots off it.

Andy Pleavin, Derbyshire, July 30th 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

I have just part exchanged my Toyota Rav4 in order to purchase my Hyundai Tuscan crtd cdx. i only did this to improve my carbon foot print and to keep the tax down.The equipement inside the cabin is excellent with air con as well as a sunroof.The only bone of contention is the indicator and wiper controls are situated on the wrong sides.The running costs of this car are not anywhere near what the manufacturers claim,at present i cannot get the miles per gallon above 28 no matter what i try.Off road this car is nowhere near as good as the toyota traction wise.Other than this it seems to be a spacious and comfortable car but so was the Toyota.

john dusconi, worcestershire, July 11th 2008

GSI 5dr 2WD

This car is fantastic value for money. I got this car from Seaham Hyundai for just Β£11995 brand new. Its drives very nice and have done 3000 miles upto now in two months. It's quiet provided you dont push it. It appears to be well built and has very good spec. I'm getting about 33.7mpg which isn't far off Hyundai's claimed figure and hope this will improve as it gets run in. I have previously owned Audi, Alfa Romeo, Rover to name a few and used to sell motor vehicles in the past (Volkswagen and Vauxhall) and can state that should you require a roomy, versitile, comfortable vehicle with lots of kit and a cracking warranty, then look no further. I bought the two wheel drive version as I don't go off road and unless you really need the 4 wheel drive version then this is the one to go for, bearing in mind it only does about 4 mpg less then the diesel version, and at todays difference in price between petrol and diesel, I couldn't justify paying Β£2k more for the diesel plus an extra 12p per litre. Just bear in mind,for those potential Toyota/Honda SUV buyers, you will pay about Β£7500 more than I payed, for a RAV4 or a CR-V. Yes, they may use better quality plastics, but Β£7500's worth, I think not. Get over the badge snobbery and give one of these a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris Winton, TYNE AND WEAR, July 7th 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

If ASDA were to make a car, this would be it. Looks wise it is not going to win any beauty contests, with its mango like styling it looks chunky, intimidating and brash. It has twin exhausts to add a sporty feel and all the normal body and bumper colour coding that you would expect. Inside there is leather, a sea of grey, bland and cheap plastic, but is solid enough and the controls are sensible and well positioned. Equipment is generous, with climate control, cruise control and electric sunroof to name but a few. It’s safe too, with a 4 star NCAP rating, twinned with alarm and an engine immobiliser it’s not going anywhere. The engine is good, although tough to work hard and sounds like a Stagecoach bus, but is better than a lot of diesels out there. (Fuel gauge is in US gallons, not much good if you live in Leicester.) It has 4WD on demand and will cope with a muddy NCP car park, but when trying to tow anything, its slow, sluggish and sulky, it just does not perform as a 4X4 like the rest of its European rivals. Running costs are average but it will never achieve the 39mpg that Hyundai claim, its is on par with the rest of the competition, 30-35mpg at best, service costs are average and with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, your laughing. Depreciation if bought new will be sinister, a used one will hold its value, thanks to that engine, prices start at Β£17,305 new but I would be tempted by its more attractive, stylish younger sister, the Kia Sportage.

Ryan Grist, Hampshire, May 28th 2008

CRTD GSI 5dr [138]

I bought the car new in May 2007, Took a demo out for a test drive and was very impressed indeed. Deal done that day ! I am an advanced Police driver, but was not looking for an out and out performance car...just a cheaper, reliable and safe famiy car. The Tucson ticks virtually all the right boxes for me, and having covered 11000 miles this last year, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The ride is smooth and controlled. At speed it is really comfortable, and feels light yet composed. The wind/engine noise is really well supressed. You can have a normal conversation with all passengers without having to raise your voice ! Really great spec' list, very practical layout, and a total pleasure to own ! Fuel consumption is coming out between 35-40 mpg combined....and if I fill the tank to the brim, I actually achieved 562 miles on a recent long run. I think it will do even more if you stick to a steady 65-70mph max. If I had to be picky, I would swap round the wiper/indicator controls, for the UK market, and re-arrange the boot liner so it sits higher. If only Hyundai could just reduce the Carbon emissions to below 175gms. then the lower car-tax band would make this even better value ! All in all, a cracking car....I ain't getting rid of this one for some considerable time to come !

Piers Lawrence, Durham, May 15th 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr

i recently wrote a review of owning a tucson but was a petrol cdx as we traded in a ford galaxy the petrol was not bad on fuel but when we came to tow our caravan with it the i say forget it we have now traded the 56 petrol for a 57 2.0 cdx crtd limited and it tows like a dream not even knowing it is on the back so to anyone using these for towing as we have noticed more people are avoid the petrol we was only rinning on our 73% tow and we might aswell pushed it but the diesel is great . i would say we find no difference if fuel from using a petrol to a diesel in these cars so if not towing the petrol is just as good on fuel.

robert bennett, May 15th 2008

CRTD GSI 5dr

I love my Tucson, It grips the road like poop to a blanket! No Matter where I go I enjoy every second driving. I have had a few cars mainly Suzuki. Iv owned the Swift, Ignes, 2 Grand V's one man one Auto, the Alto, two Kia Sedona one Man one Auto The ignes 4 grip and Now the Hyundai Tucson. I wanted to buy the New Suzuki GV and had a test drive, loved it. But I found the Gear stick to be in a strange place and changing gear seemed awkward for me. They also had the Tucson on the forecourt. I enjoyed the drive so much I bought it! For me this car is not greedy! It’s the Government who are the greedy party in this putting Fuel prices up to a stupid rate. It cos me about Β£50 ish to fill the tank when I got it and we went everywhere! The tank lasted nearly 2 week. Its costing me about Β£45 to Β£50 per week to run and the tank is nowhere near full! That’s not the cars fault! The car has everything I need, and dose what I ask. Why pay stupid prices for a so called "name" I hate the snobbery that goes with cars. Take the Freelander in my eyes, it’s an over priced, plastic looking car and the turning circle, no way! it’s so cramped inside aswell. The other car that I enjoyed as much as this was the Suzuki Ignes 4 Grip, but it is too small for my large family. I cried when I swapped it but the Tucson has made it all better for me now. I really do recommend this 4x4 it’s a bonny looking car with plenty of HUMPH!

Claire Morgan, West Yorkshire, January 22nd 2008

CRTD CDX 5dr

Nice to drive, nightmare to own. Bought secondhand in July 2007 form Sunwin Motors of Derby. Engine warning light came on the day I collected the vehicle. Dealer was unable to identify fault and so reset computer/ECU. Engine warning light came on again while on holiday in Italy. Taken to local dealer and they were unable to identify fault. Reset by lifting ground connection (honestly), and it continued to come on and off in random fashion. It was running rough by the time I got back to Calais. Identified as failed injector, one replaced. Sticking brake pedal took 50 days from order to fitting, in which time the MOT expired. Then the warning light came on again. Now the torque converter needs replacing and, oh dear, it's on back order again. Have spoken to Hyundai UK and been to the dealers far too many times. The dealer happy to replace th ecar if i take the hit for depreciation (Β£2500). I'm very disappointed indeed. And very worried, as I think it's unsafe. Dealer unable to fix. Most unreliable car I have ever owned in 29 years.

Martin Barratt, Derbyshire, December 17th 2007

GSI 5dr 2WD

I have owned this car for 2 months now, and while it does everything I need of it, I must say I am VERY disapointed with the fuel consumption. I was initially going to buy the 4WD version, however after talking to a couple of previous owners of these, i decided on the 2WD version on the grounds that hauling 80 kilos less weight around would give better mpg. Alas, this does not seem to be the case, and at least with a 4WD version I could have some fun. That is the only negative I have for this car. I have owned a LOT of different cars in my time and I find this comfortable, safe, quick enough for an SUV and good fun to drive. I have 2 kids and they have no complaints about the comfort in the back, in fact they find the extra leg room in a vehicle like this makes for a far more comfortable journey. BIG smiles all round really. As far as the fuel consumption/running costs go, I blame the government anyway. Who else pays so much tax on EVERYTHING??

Rob Harrison, Leicestershire, December 14th 2007

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

I have owned this car for 17 months and overall I have been really happy with it. I regularly travel between Glasgow and Inverness and can do the 400 mile return journey on a full tank (60-80mph) which isn't bad for a 4x4. It's comfortable and loaded with gadgets which makes changing it a bit of a headache as you are not going to get anywhere close to the value for money from any other car manufacturer. This is my first Hyundai and I am looking forward to see what the next version of the Tucson will be like because if it improves like the Santa Fe did then I'll have no need to look eslewhere.

Kitt Halsey, November 21st 2007

CDX 5dr

I bought a 56 plate pre-registered with only 18 miles on the clock last month for Β£5k+ off list with residual recovery and warranty left. Bargain for starters. Economy was worse (marginally) than my last car (Skoda Superb 2.0) and fully satisfied with it although mental calculations are needed converting trip computer into UK Gallons. Wind noise doesnt appear to be an issue. Miss steering wheel audio controls (Hyudai please fit them) but kitted out exceptionally well. The boot cover however is about 6 inches lower than it needs to be makign the boot tight when it need not be. Drives well on and off road. Totally happy so far.

Adrian Rowland, Cheshire, November 21st 2007

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

I took receipt of a 2006 (56) Tucson crtd diesel limited just under 12 months ago. As this was my first brand new car, I had done a fair bit of shopping around and took out a few other 4x4s to compare. My budget ruled out the Disco, RAV4 and X3, so I was looking for value for money. I narrowed it down to a Tucson and Grand Vitara and left the house with every intention of buying a Grand Vitara, until I drove it! It looks good, but drove like a tractor. By comparison Tucson had more pull, less road and wind noise and much higher spec. Add in the 5 year warranty and 3 years free servicing and an excellent part-ex on my Clio and the deal was done. I've spent the last 12 months happily (and rather smugly) telling all what a bargain i'd found, the fuel economy is fine (34mpg day to day, about 39mpg on long runs), the ride is comfy and pretty responsive for a 4x4, and the climate control, leather, 6 speed box etc brilliant for a car with a price tag of Β£18k. Have just had it in for 10,000 mile service (free, including all the consumables) and the car was returned to me washed and cleaned inside. If VW or Toyota made this car you'd get a slightly higher level of finish, a lower spec, 2 years less warranty and Β£10k (at least) on the price tag. The Hyundai Tucson and new Santa Fe show that the quality gap between the budget 4x4 and the more established luxury 4x4 is getting smaller all the time.

nick beattie, CUMBRIA, September 15th 2007

CDX 5dr

I have owned this car for three years now. On the plus side it is well finished and equipped for the money. On the downside I find the drive awful, with a poor noisy engine with virtually no pull and an average 21mpg ( measured accurately, not on the car computer, which measures in US gallons). Can someone tell me how they got the official fuel-consumption figures on this car- they are total fantasy! In addition, it has a notchy gearchange and poor ride and handling qualities. I have complained about all these to our local dealer who insists the car is performing "normally". If you have an interest in driving do not buy this car, save up and buy the excellent Freelander 2 instead!

Peter Malkin, September 15th 2007

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

I just bought a 06 tuscon only had 3000 miles on the clock and have to say i am prity impressed! Trading up from a megane which i hated and which put me off renault for life since it was in the garage so many times! Really wanted a 4x4 but cost of some where just out of my price range. Hyundai offer a good spec of car for reasonable price and five year full waranty was the decider. Has loads of room inside holding 5 comfortably and really well finished. Plumped for the CDX model as all the extra you recieve is well worth it. Cruise control, full leather seats, heated front seats, electric sunroof, climate control and the list could go on. On a whole had it a month now and the only critism i have is the fuel consumption i am only getting 24.3mpg (or so the wee trip thing says) a bit heavy on the diesel and alot of it was motorway driving. Will wait and see how it goes but so far so good

Lisa Crawford, Stirlingshire, September 2nd 2007

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

I have owned several vehicles during my working, and on the whole, the majority have live up to, and in one case exceeded the specification. The Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRTD CDX has the potential to exceed its specification. The vehicle is well built and has a solid feel on the road. Reports indicate a noisy engine and excessive road noise; this has not been my experience. The vehicle is no more noisey that the Peaugot 307 SW diesel, which was my previous vehicle. This was more than born out on a recent trip to Bristol, where the round trip back to Cornwall was accomplished without fuss, and within a comfortable, low-noise environment. The six speed gearbox works as sweet as a nut, the extra sixth gear keeping engine noise well in check. The car interior has leather seats, which provide good support as well as comfort. The various internal fittings are substantial, and not cheap as indicated by other reports. Economy also exceeded my expectation, with an average diesel consumption of 41mpg, with the vehicle set at 65mph in cruise. Mileage on the clock is 1400. I look forward to a higher return as the engine runs in. The whole experience to date has been positive. How the vehicle behaves over the coming years should be an interesting experience.

Robert Hedges, August 22nd 2007

CRTD GSI 5dr [138]

This is the first 4x4 I have owned, my last car being a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6. I was after a 4x4 which was reliable and at a low price. The Tucson is that car. Hyundai has an excellent package here. The 5 year warranty gave this the edge over the very good Kia Sportage, and if you shop around large discounts are fairly easy to find. The diesel 2.0 GSI will give reasonable mpg and kit. I have owned it for 1 month and averaged 36. I anticipate this will climb a bit more as the engine runs in. The GSI spec is excellent with alloys, electric sun roof, 6 speaker cd and all electric windows plus air-con, the only this I miss are the heated door mirror, but they are electic ones on the GSI so it's only a small point. The stereo is top notch. The ride is very good. The steering is a little vague, but fine. There's loads of space for 5 large adults. The finishing is fine, in fact of a higher standard than my old Zafira. Hyundai make very good cars. There warranty is class leading and they offer value for money; it's difficult to fault.

Rob Tungate, August 16th 2007

CRTD CDX 5dr [138]

Having owned this car for just over one year I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever had. Take no notice of unfavourable reports - the 138 bhp diesel is a peach to drive (it drives like a car rather than a van), the sound system is incredible for a factory-fit version, and there is plenty of room for five big people as well as the family shopping. The build quality is up with the best of them - don't be put off by the badge. Only a fool would pay Β£10,000 more for the same thing. As for servicing, my advice is to shop around (the nationwide service centre in Bolton would be a good place to start!). As for the 4x4 ability, it is all most of us will ever require. One last word - do not purchase an X-Trail unless you want to spend lots of time at Nissan. Happy 4x4 shopping!

kathryn beer, August 15th 2007

CRTD Xenith 5dr

I own a Grand Vitara (and drive it cross country) and also a brand new Tuscon Xenith. I have to say I am delighted with the build quality of the Xenith and its extras but more importantly, with the driving experience. Road holding is good, cabin comfort excellent and overall finish is superb. I am still getting to grips with fuel consumption but agree that sensible use increases mpg. Combined with the superb warranties, I would recommend this car to any non badge concious buyer as an excellent value SUV. Finally, I added a few extras to my car: a new mesh grill and a rear window spoiler which enhances the black finish and tinted glass. It looks great!!

Fred Holmes, May 18th 2007