Jaguar X-type Saloon Owner reviews

d SE 4dr

54reg 2.0D SE bought 2010, one private owner 43000m.Excellent in most respects (only routine replacements in 25000m) Mostly local use (44mpg), motorway 50mpg. Steering, light clutch, sensitive brakes, handling, road-holding, comfort all brilliant. Performance excellent above 5mph, fantastic in top gear but lorry-like 0-5mph. A few snags one learns to live with but a couple I still hate – 1st gear is the most clumsy I have ever encountered, has to be pushed boldly past 2 synchro rings (it seems) to engage or it jumps out (design prob, not wear). Other gears are precise and good to use (one gets used to heavy 2nd) The 5 speed gear box is a mistake. It needs 6. With a very low 1st and high 5th, it lacks urban flexibility but you adapt to that and it comes with a very nice clutch unlike the 6 speed Mondeo on which it is based. The 2.0 diesel is delightfully smooth, unobtrusive and powerful on the move. 0-60 in 9.5secs is easy to believe despite the slow start. The other ongoing hate is the dip switch (raise very gently to flash or it clicks into main beam) Steering wheel is too large to be sporty if that matters. Leather is top quality but door card styling is non-existent. Large door mirrors are brilliant to use but vulnerable and do not fold. After initial reservations, I have come to appreciate the car’s overall excellence, despite the shortcomings mentioned and love the beautiful Jag styling. Not perfect but, if urban flexibility is not required every day, easily recommendabl

jeff cryer, bucks, February 25th 2014

d Classic 4dr

I work at Heathrow and live in Cornwall.Cars are important to me as it is a work tool.Nissan and Honda have served me well,all bar the seats being a little small and soft.I purchased This 2.0D x-type for the better chair and proposed economey. Well the ride is smooth.It relaxes me, and returns good economey.I sometimes do my own servicing and this is an easy car to work on. I like it and rate it next to my Honda Civic but is more calming and built for long runs only. This is an 53 model and well looked after.

lloyd Edwards, January 31st 2009

V6 Sport 4dr

I have owned the car for 4 years. It only does 4k miles per annum so the running costs are not an issue. It is based on a Mondeo (which I also own). The quality and finish on the Jag is way beyond that of the Ford. The 4 wheel drive is excellent and very safe in snow. Replacement tyres should be Pirelli only as anything else is difficult to balance. Only issue in 4 years was a broken spring, otherwise top notch. Not a hot-hatch, although it is pretty rapid, but after 80mph, it feels like it could go on forever (my wife mentioned) Only thing I would mention is the heater & A/C controls. They defy logic. Just about any button turns the A/C on, and you need to push three buttons to get it off again. This is not from the Ford.

eddie boyle, West Lothian, January 21st 2009

d Sovereign 2009 4dr

I purchased a 2.20 d Soverign new in Nov 07 and since Jan 08 there has been a continuing fault with the Telephone/Display /Radio system. Funny messages appear on the display and at same time the Radio will not work at all. Also the Volume of the Radio and CD Player goes up and down of it's own accord. Jaguar/ Stratstone Aberdden still as of to day are unable to repair it, despite the car being in Stratsone's workshop on approx 35 days over a 1 year period. Jaguar today asked if i would allow them to take the car to their factory for further investigation. I am taking legal advise before responding. Need I say any more.

Norman Sim, Aberdeenshire, January 19th 2009

V6 Sport 4dr

I bought this car 6 months ago (2year old) and feel that this was a big mistake. Inside the cabin this car has every extra, and is very comfortable to drive if you are old. The mpg driving sensibly is around 29 and the lag when trying to overtake is terrible and has left me is some tricky situations, so now I just have to sit and wait until I get a long stretch of road before overtaking. With the auto gearbox the rev counter seeems to run high (nearing red) when accelerating and I have had this checked on 2 occassions and been advised there is no problem. Sat Nav plays up also and takes a little while to input your destination. The only plus point I would say is that this car looks good. I would get rid of this car tomorrow if I could, however |I will have to wait another year to make it worth while financially

James Anderson, East Lothian, January 16th 2009

d SE 4dr

I bought a 2.0D SE from a main dealer and have found nothing but trouble with this car - my advice to anyone would be to AVOID X-TYPES AT ALL COSTS! Although the interior looks reasonable, the build quality is appalling, there are an infuriating number of rattles and it very noisy from both the tractor like engine and the road noise. The temperature settings on the climate control are interesting to say the least! If you enjoy a good quality stereo then I’m afraid you will be very disappointed with the poor quality audio in the X-type. Don’t be fooled by the fuel economy claims, if you live in the Netherlands and only drive on motorways at 60 you may get the claimed combined 50 mpg, however you should expect 38-42 mpg in the UK. Reliability is a major concern, in the 14 months that I have owned this car I have been recovered 4 times, the list of repairs needed is quite staggering – I have listed only the major repairs, the entire list would exceed the word limit: 1 x clutch; 2 x starter motors – a known design fault with the clutch results in the starter motor collecting dust from the clutch – resulting in the starter motor warranty being void; 1 x power steering assembly; 1 x engine ECU The car is currently in for repair yet again and as soon as I have it back I will be replacing it with a reliable German machine.

Hefin Jones, Debighshire, January 16th 2009

V6 SE 4dr

I have a 3.0l SE auto that has 70,000+ on the clock. First Reg' Sept' '01, I have found it to be a good machine. The 4 wheel drive is first class, providing excellent road holding and traction. The engine delivers silky smooth power, and the gearbox transmits that power without a glitch. The only thing that has failed is the instrument panel, and that was replaced under warranty. Everything else is original equipment and I have had to spend little on it. The mpg is not good (although I didn't expect frugality) giving circa 34mpg on motorway drives, but only 17/18 in completely urban driving. I also tow a caravan weighing 1,400 kgs, and have made a number of Continental holiday trips of 2,500+ miles getting circa 22mpg for the total journey. As a towcar it is excellent - lots of power in reserve, perfectly stable, with excellent braking characteristics. Servicing costs, etc., are no more than the likes of BMW and Mercedes (having owned both marques), with an annual service well below Β£500.00. Tyre wear is good for a 4WD, getting more than 30,000 miles out of a set. Yes, the cabin design is sedate, but everything is there, and the front heated screen clears misting in seconds - unlike some. My only hates about it are the digital clock and the difficulty in replacing a headlight bulb. The build quality is very good - no bits falling off.

John Pattison, Essex, December 20th 2008

d SE 4dr [Euro 4]

I have been driving this car for several weeks. The car looks stunning in black. However the drivers electric seat has broken (51k) The engine sounds like a tractor - yes it is a diesel but it sounds terrible. However it pulls like a train. Car would definately benefit from having a 6th gear. The interior feels old and definately suffers from build quality. Bluetooth is eratic. Rear seats do not fold down. On the positive side they are well specified and I love the heated seats. Sat Nav works ok but is basic - no points of interest or safety cameras. Conclusion: design is tired and needs updating. There are some excellent alternatives out there. Would I have another? Answer definately no unless it was an XJ. This car tries but fails. Still it looks nice! Claimed mpg of 50 is high on impossible - low 40s realistic

Malcolm Senior, Staffordshire, December 15th 2008

d Sport 4dr [Euro 4]

I always wanted a Jaguar and the x type brought this opportunity well within my budget. Second hand at 18 months old it represents superb value for money. The car looks great in british racing green and (when it works) the engine and gear box are as good as I've had. Therein lies the clue. This car has been nothinhg but trouble. In the 18 months I have owned it I have had the car back with Jaguar 12 times with one-off or repeat faults. The customer service is excellent but the ability to diagnose and fix problems are not. The car is now 3 years old and out of warranty and still pulls intermitently to the left and the engine still misfires. There is rust (!) on the boot on a 3 year old car. I originally come from the West Midlands and have an infinity with the workers who build these cars but don't buy an x type unless you want dreadful build quality, frequent and unacceptable (and expensive now its out of warranty) defects and an experience that you will quickly and frequently regret.

Paul Thomas, Kent, November 16th 2008

V6 SE 4dr

I have owned an X-Type 3.0L auto SE for the past 5 years. It most certainly is a drivers car with excellent all round performance and comfort! It is not a car for the thrifty! Ownership offering ample opportunities to pour money down the drain of niggling poor quality!! My example made 13 unscheduled workshop visits in 5 years!! Faults ranged from a new fuel tank (on the 2nd day of ownership) down to every entry latch on the car! Consequently running costs were significantly high post the warranty. Main dealer labour charges run at Β£100 per hour! So be warned!! Even the yearly service and highlighted remedial work averaged Β£1000. I loved the car! But the 14th fault plus rising green taxes and fuel costs spelt out enough is enough!! I have practically had to give the car away due to very poor X-Type residuals!! And I have returned to Honda!

anthony jeffries, derbys, November 4th 2008

d SE 4dr

I bought my car a year ago and its on an 04 plate. I bought it from a non Jaguar dealer, but the car was owned by a company and the service history documentation is impressive.The miles were high for it's age (64k) but all motoraway miles.The car now has 72k and is still running as new.Our miles are a mix of both motorway and A roads so we often get mid forties mpg.It has never let us down and drives very well.I had a Rover 75 CDTI SE CONN. with all the toys before this and I think the Jaguar is better by far.

Kenn Bertram, Tyne & Wear., October 9th 2008

V6 4dr

I brought the 2.5 v6 x-type, it only had 17000 miles from new. I have only had the car 10 months. At 23000 miles the auto gearbox failed at a cost of Β£3000. I contacted Jaguar with the fact that the gearbox is a sealed for life unit and in true driving time it had only done 2 years of motoring. Jaguar would not help with the cost or comment on the fact that this had happend with so little milage. I have only had the car back for 53 days and the gearbox has the same fault and is back in for repair. Befor the Jaguar i had a Merc 180 auto with 3 x the milage and did not have a problem with it. The Jaguar is over rated and very much over priced, I was looking forward to driving what i thought was a good reliable car. I was very much mistaken and would have my old Merc back at a flash.

michael wigmore, eastsussex, July 3rd 2008

d SE 4dr [Euro 4]

I normally end up changing my car every year, but still don't want to part with my beautiful chilli red SE with chanpagne leather seats. What else could I buy that would ever come close to a Jaguar?Fuel consumption disappointing, but so worth it! Previously had Audi TT but ride too firm and difficult to get in and out of. Until someone produces a better car, I will have to stick with my beautiful, gorgeous Jaguar. Eat your heart out BMW!!

linda evans, May 22nd 2008

d Classic 4dr

Always dreamed of owning a Jag, and after getting one I'm not disappointed. I own a 2004 2.0d Classic in 'ultraviolet' and have been very impressed with everything it has to offer - looks, comfort, space, a very lively engine, feel good factor and that Jaguar class. Mine is just out of warranty and had it's first service away from a Jag dealer - and cost only Β£130 all in compared to Β£300 from the dealer. Car tax for the 2.0d is also very cheap, currently Β£115 per year rising to Β£120 next time round, compare this to Β£270 for it's petrol brother. Getting mid 45's Mpg with heavy right foot and easily 50+ on a relaxed 70 Mph motorway jaunt. Oh yes and best bit - August 2004 model with 50k, FSH, 1 owner and in mint condition...all for under 7 grand! but expect to pay 9k at a dealer (hmm).

S Irving, cumbria, May 15th 2008

V6 Sport Premium 4dr

i bought my x-type in november 2007, i thought i had reached the peaks of car ownership ? it looks great it drove like a dream people look and smiled , BUT..... one day in april of 2008 my world came to and end , my beautiful x-type 2.5 v6 sport rattled and buzzed and stopped.... the poor thing at only 54ooo on the clock thought it was time to change the transfer box into a box of nuts bolts and bearing bits just to add insult to my ever growing worries about my beautiful jaguar was that the powered steering pump has now started to sound like one of them old crooners that you get at a poorly lite night club in down town anywhere, x-type owners 4wd that is please take a seat and hold on to something like the wife,s bank book the cost of a new trasfer box ...... Β£2.000 +vat is this a one off ? click the link below http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_35073.html i still love my car but jaguar shame on you for not telling the world about this problem sooner , lets hope now the newly name indi car owners improve the car so i can trust the name jaguar once more , ian duff

ian duff, lancs, April 12th 2008

V6 Sport 4dr

What a car! I had the biggest smile on my face when I pulled of the forecourt with it. Makes the journey to work a complete utter pleasure and the smiles and looks you get. It is one heck of a car, you would not think it was a ford mondingo!!! Pleasure owning one.

jagdip bola, staffs, April 4th 2008

d SE 4dr

Having owned the vechicle for 4 years from new it still performs as it did not day one. The equipment level is better than other equivalents from Germany. Ride is excellent as is the driving. Fuel economy varies fro 42 to 48 mpg. I find the new Shell desiel give an extra 2/3 miles per gallon and worth the extra cost. Running cost were high particularly servicing but after guarantee expired now use a non franchised garage and save 30% and get a more personal service. Depreciation is high but worth checking as number of X-Type are ex company and have a high 100k+ mileage and badly worn upholstery, body work, etc. I would buy again.

Nigel Hogben, West Sussex, March 13th 2008

V6 Sport 4dr

I love this car. I bought it a month ago for 7k (2003 reg, 65k miles). The ride is astonishing, powerful, composed, and thanks to the full time 4 wheel drive, very secure and safe. I was surprised at the positive reactions to its looks also; most people think I have spent a fortune. I didn’t, but it does provide immense second hand value. My wife has also stated she would like the car when I am finished with it. I therefore expect to keep this car within the family for a number of years. As stated previously by other owners of the 3 litre engine, fuel economy will not stretch past 29 mpg's so bear this in mind. For me, however, it is a small price to pay for what is a lot of car for very litte initial outlay.

mark mccann, worcester, February 24th 2008

V6 Sport 4dr

Easily the best car I have ever owned. Bought from a Jaguar dealer when it was 3 years old, I have had bullet proof reliabiliy over its 44000 miles. I only wanted the 3.0 V6 manual from the range for its performance credentials. This car is seriously quick and the 4 wheel drive system means the handling is up to the job too. Clearly the running costs are expensive, circa 25mpg, but I accept that for the performance on offer. I've had Audis, BMW and Mercedes and none of them compare to the driving pleasure I get from this car. Makes me grin every time I'm on a twisty road.

Michael Egan, South Yorkshire, February 19th 2008

d Sport 4dr [Euro 4]

Cracking engine, Great Drive, shame about the lack of power compared with its rivals. Those Germans have this car beat

maurice andrews, Essex, February 5th 2008