Jeep Commander 4x4 Owner reviews

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

"BIG roomy and a very good style for a 4x4. Actuarly I think it is the best Jeep they have made, I love the back [because the back is the most important bit on a car to me.]

A R, Wilkshre, December 6th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

Had this car 18 months now and having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. Positives: Great off road car, massively comfortable, loads of room with the third row seats down, smooth ride, great value for money and fast considering the weight of thing! In fact it's pretty fast anyway, but it does have a 3 ltr V6 Merc engine upfront. The steering is also very light which is nice because it's not hard too drive, but it lacks feel which is a strange feeling in a car of this size. Negatives: insane running costs, not even reaching 30 mpg, third row seats only OK for children for a very short trip, cabin qaulity isn't great, can't put all the seats down in it which is impracticle and doesn't have as much space internally as it appears from the outside. All the included extras are great, Sat Nav actually works, great air con, great sea warmers, DVD player is a nice extra. I espeically like all the sunroofs which make it nice to drive. (Although rear and front parking sensors are useless!) Still, I'm getting rid of this car at the end of the year because running costs have become unbearable. The diesel cost are simply too high, and when added to by road tax and the congestion charge, this car is completely impracticle. It's being replace by an Audi A4 Cabrio, and something tells me I wont be missing it!

Benn Mason, Surrey, June 5th 2008

CRD Predator 5dr Auto

Really excellent car to own and drive.It is well put together , excellent to drive and with a really sports car accerleration. 0 to 60 in 9 seconds!Gives me a trill every time , and with its Hummerish looks it draws a crowd evry time . SUPER.

Frank Johnason, March 10th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I would not normally have chosen the Jeep Commander but I had such a great deal on a lease that I was persuaded. By most measures it's not the most aesthetically pleasing vehicle to look at. Some would describe it as ugly but then from the inside it looks fine. It's roomy and reasonably well equipped although it must be said the third row of seats are not the most practical as occupants basically sit on the floor. Like most 7 seaters boot space is very limited if the third row of seats are used. Also there is no cover for the boot space so security could be an issue. The 3 litre mercedes diesel is pretty good and very willing. Acceleration is strong and refinement at speed is fine. The ride is supple but you do get the feeling of floating around a bit, especially around town. It's a big car with a big engine so fuel economy is never going to be brilliant. All things considered though its not too bad, around 28mpg combined. Would I recommend it? If the deal is right I would. Don't let the looks put you off, essentially its a decent car.

David Notley, South Wales, October 11th 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I bought this car second hand, and as such represents incredible value - but mainly I love it because a/it looks great (in the metal, not pics for some reason) b/ the build is so rock solid c/ the ride and interior quality is excellent. I have mine in black with privacy glass - the only combo to have! The Merc auto gearbox mated to the 3.0 diesel turbo performs excellently. Any downsides? The roof rails and back bars need to be real chrome rather that fake. And I will replace the 17inch wheels with 20s before too long. But its still the best car I've ever owned. And I dont say that lightly. Buy and enjoy.

John Bevan, Devon, August 29th 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I've had the commander now for 6 months and love it. The exterior is a "love-it / hate-it" type, and the reactions I get are one way or the other...not many undecideds. I needed a 7 seat option for the family, and a 4wh drive option for work, so that limited my options quite a lot. having considered the disco, nissan pathfinder and volvo xc90, I was completely blown away with the level of performance, trim and quality of the commander, as it put many of the more expensive 4x4's to shame. Inside it is HUGE, which is great, and it has massive presence on the road with lots of head-turning ability (everyone thinks it's a hummer). Only slight negatives are, yes the rear seats are somewhat of an afterthought and only really any use for children. When not in use they raise the floor level of the boot area considerably. The fuel consumption is not good... 25mpg at best on a long run and as low as 21mpg on short local runs, but then none of the 4x4's in this class are great on mpg. Overall, it's a BIG car, with distinactive looks (great in my opinion), and an amazing performance for it's size. Towing is effortless, finishing is great, comfort is great. LOVE IT!!!

Brian Munro, August 27th 2007

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

It is my wife's car for pulling the horse box, but I love it. It is roomy, and powerful for such a big car. I particularly like teh driving position. The children love it too because it is roomy and it has a DVD player; the equipment level is pretty good. It is even quite economical (compared to my Maserati, but then every other car in the world is). Stylingwise it gets mixed reactions; my son calls it a mini-Hummer (that's a compliment), while my father-in-law refers to it as a hearse (that's not). We've had it six months and it has had two problems. The ignition key is very poorly positioned and is easily knocked by your knees if you are not careful - once I managed to turn it off while driving through town (which was very dangerous), and my wife managed to snap the key off at the stem making it impossible to turn on or off. We also had some sort of problem with the electronics shutting down, as if the battery was flat (which it wasn't). The garage found nothing wrong and it hasn't recurred. In both case Chrysler Assistance were SUPERB. Overall, a pretty good car IMHO.

Peter Rose, Guernsey, November 30th 2006