CRD 5dr Auto

I just don't get the negative 'professional' reviews of this car. I have owned my 2006 Overland for 4 years now and it has never missed a beat. I have been a massive Range Rover fan for years but grew tired of the repair bills; the GC has not cost a penny after 25000 miles of ownership (bar servicing, which is very reasonably priced) We have been on 2 pan European road trips and it is a very comfortable car for long journeys, the engine is superb with masses of torque available from low revs, the seats are comfy and the climate control works well. Yes the plastics are a bit hard but they clean down very easily and are hard wearing and will last It is unstoppable in the snow, the QDII system almost defies physics with its ability to find traction, no other 4x4 has locking differentials in the front and rear as well as a torque splitter in the centre diff as well, they work incredible well when required My one small gripe is that the transmission tunnel is wide and encroaches into the drivers footwell, but I can live with it These are fantastic cars. Very well made, extremely reliable and they do what they say on the tin. Yes a Land Rover is more refined and has better road manners but they cost a lot more and break down a lot more. The GC is a lot of car for not a lot of money, I notice now that the residuals are getting a lot higher for these models now as people are realising how good they really are. I would buy another tomorrow but see no reason to get rid

Matthew Collis, March 27th 2014

CRD 5dr Auto

I agree with many of the other owners reviews in that I don't understand which car what car team were driving because their report certainly doesn't reflect the car I own. In relation to the interior where the test team use the words low quality they should substitute for isn't luxurious compared with RR or X5 neither of which is a direct comparison.. The fit and robustness of the interior is of a high standard, yes there are swaths of grey plastic but its hard wearing and easy to clean and doesn't rattle. It is of a high quality. I can reiterate that the 3.0CRD is a masterpiece refined, economical "for a large 4x4" and powerful. It has similar torque levels to the SRT8 albeit at much lower revs making quick progress effortless. On longer journeys the seats are very comfortable and cabin noise is low and will return 30mpg if not pressing on too much. If you sit in the outside lane of the motorway with the traffic flow of an early morning it will return 27 which is fine. Round town not so good at low 20's but hey it's not a super mini.... Off road it's superb, it's managed to get all the places I've taken my Wrangler TJ with ease. The front end is a little lower so just each out when approaching steep inclines. The quadradrive II works brilliantly and doesn't require any driver input to select terrain just provide a little gas and it does the rest. Ignore the professional reviews and test drive one for yourself.

Michael Spode, September 18th 2013

CRD Overland 5dr Auto

So I don't know which car WhatCar? drove for their reviews, but it wasn't this one. I have just bought a 2013 Pre-reg of this vehicle, and I have to say I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting to be, but I am. So, the first thing is that this car drives like a 4x4. Unlike a Touareg, which drives like a big Golf, or a BMW X-something, which drives like a big 3-series. It's different, and if you've ever driven an older Range Rover, or even a pre-2007 Touareg, it's that sort of 4x4 drive. So no, it doesn't handle like a stiff, small car, it handles like a 4x4. Completely different, and unfair to compare this car against one with completely different handling characteristics. That being said, it's not a bad drive at all. It's my first ever diesel, and it's pretty quiet, peppy, and very refined (and yes, I've owned Range Rovers, BMWs and Touraregs as well). The driving position is comfortable, there's every gadget under the sun included in the price (which if you deal well you can drive a new one away for 25%+ off list price), the cabin (Overland) is quite classy and overall it's a nice place to be. It's a little thirsty (18MPG around town, 35-38 MPG on the motorway)and the stereo/NAV is a relic from last century, but that's about the only major criticism I can really come up with. Other than that, it drives well on road, great off-road, the suspension & auto gearbox seem pretty refined. Ignore this review, just go try it for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised (as was I).

Dave Smith, April 25th 2013

CRD Overland 5dr Auto

Traded a Jeep Patriot for the Grand Cherokee, what a fantastic car and the Dealer Horsham Car Centre were fantastic as always with a great deal, its the seventh Jeep or Chrysler I have owned and the best so far the brand gets better and better. The car is fully loaded with kit including keyless entry, electric tailgate and has standard equipment that other brands only offer as options. The saftey features such as blind spot detection, collision warning and adaptive cruise control are all fantastic aids and come standard. On cold morning the heated seats and heated steering wheel make light work of that chilly start. On warm days open the suroof and pull back the full cabin roof screen for a light spacious cabin. Driving the car is fantastic good road presence, it does need another gear for crusing, but apparently a new gearbox is to be launched the air suspension drops the car to aero mode which does improve MPG, if you drive careful it does 38MPG but I average about 32mpg around town which is still good for a car of its size. The suspension system is good and for those who have trouble exiting the car you can drop the car down for easy exit and entry. Well done Jeep, I can understand why this car has won so may USA awards, can't understand why is gets poor rating in UK against other brands

Ian Winterflood, December 30th 2012

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

The company that I work for here in Australia bought 2 of these in December 2011. They are the same spec as British models. Both have been completly unreliable. One of the vehicles has already been got rid of, due to the inconvience to staff, with constant breakdowns. Both have had rear suspension faults that Jeep cannot fix, transmission failure, diesel lines blocking, rattles throughout, engine failure lights, etc. We dont have lemon laws here and so we were basically told to bad. There are many forums on the net talking about faulty suspension etc. I would never recommend Jeep.

Anthony Wilson, May 3rd 2012

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

i bought my grand cherokee on oct 2007 from main dealer. since then millions of problem come with this car. full suspension failed after 3 month( i was told this is common fault for jeep). steering colum changed after 5 month. disel pump gone after 10 month. during meantime. one service cost me Β£860.now the front suspension gone again also the front bearing gone......... i had enought. i'm going for a japanese.

alan song, February 21st 2009

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

The road tests don't show that this is a really good tow car for big loads - It really tows over 3 tons effortlessly. It is the best tow car for stability I've had since the good old Isuzu Trooper - only much more powerful and comfortable. I don't understand the test comments on cornering - it is less of a yachting experience than a Range Rover at almost half the price. It is also quicker on all acceleration tests than all the diesel opposition especially the 2.7 Disco slugs and absolutely leaves shoguns for dead. So, it uses slightly more fuel than the previous 5 cylinder model? In the real world, Shoguns and Discos use more fuel trying to keep up. yes the inside is plasticy - but mud wipes off very well. I don't buy a 4x4 for any pose value and if I didn't need to tow a 3 tonne loaded horse trailer, go off-road or do both at once; I would buy a Mercedes C320 and enjoy the same engine in a vehicle made to go fast round corners. bad points? too easy to switch lights off completely when dipping main beam, needs pockets behind both front seats and generally more passenger storage pockets/bins.

Ian Beckett, January 26th 2009

V8 Overland 5dr Auto

This is the second 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I've owned. These vehicles suffer from sharp depreciation which makes them a great used buy. The Overland variant comes with the High Output engine that produces extra BHP and returns a 0-60 time below 7 seconds - not that you use the acceleration that often, the car is very thirsty. Driven carefully it will return 25 mpg at an average of 70 mph on the motorway. Otherwise you're looking at low 20's out of town and in town expect mid teens. Nonetheless it is a tremendously well built car and without a doubt the most reliable 4x4 that I've had. Landrover could take a leaf from Jeep's book for reliability. The spec is very high and the road handling not all that bad, particularly when combined with comfort of Jeep's seats. If youre after a bargain I'd recommend that you consider purchasing a low mileage Jeep Grand Cherokee and convert it to run on LPG.

Stuart Wells, December 24th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

I just bought the 3.0 crd auto with 30000 m on it .it looks and drive very nice indeed. much much better than the frontera i had , i hop it will gose well with me as i have had very bad luck with the frontera although it was almost new a lot of things went wrong please wish me luck ,

neal mansoor, london, December 5th 2008

CRD 5dr Auto

I have just purchased a month old car and saved a fortune on the new price which makes this excellent vehicle even better. The car is responsive, smooth and powerful, an absolute joy to drive. After test driving other 4x4s I can not understand the Whatcar Reviews as the Jeep is as good, if not better to drive than the rivals and far better value. The MPG could be better but I knew to expect te low 20's to mid 20's which is exactly what it does. The car only has 1400 miles on the clock, consequently, economy may improve with a few more miles under the belt.

phil emberson, durham, November 18th 2008

V8 Limited 5dr Auto

This car is a great all rounder and I'm constantly suprised at the low ratings given by What Car. Still maybe it's because it hasn't got a Land Rover badge. Mine is a 4.7 Limited and I've now had the LPG conversion done to help with the fuel cost which were not too bad for a 4.7 at 19 - 24 mpg. What we want to see is the price of LPG go down at the same rate petrol has. We're paying 49p a litre now and it should be 42 - 44p. It's a solid car on road and the seats are really comfortable and the heated seats are awesome, stereo is total class.

Edwin Davies, Conwy, November 7th 2008

V8 Limited 5dr Auto

I found a 3yr old 5.7 Hemi with only 9000k miles, in excellent condition. Included in the purchase price was a LPG conversion which works extremely well. I was not particuarly looking for a 5.7 but with the previous owner taking the depreciation from new of Β£23,000 I couldn't let it slip through my fingers after the test drive. It's great to drive, very quiet and although the car press express a dislike for the interor;My family think its very luxurious. I am using it daily and will be towing a caravan, I know the cost per mile is high in comparison to a 'family' saloon but I am prepared to overlook this because the Grand Cherokee is a fantastic place to be on a journey, my first 4x4 and I look forward to the comute to and from work, which can't be bad a thing, thankyou my Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited.

sid wright, norfolk, October 7th 2008

CRD 5dr Auto

Hi, like many others I love my Jeep (my first 4x4), but she will be going shortly for my 7 seater. I have never understood why this car doesn't get better "official" reviews the owners love them! I've had mine for 40,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, from new and nothing has ever gone wrong, it may have some cheap plastics in places but at least it's solidly screwed together, (take note Landrover) no rattles to date and a very good reliable solid car. MPG is good for a big 4x4, I get low/mid 20’s round town and in the low 30's on the motorway. It's amazingly refined car with a cracking engine, it drives much better than nearly all of the 7 seater/small MPV's that I’ve been testing for it's replacement. It's also a very good motorway cruiser, excellent ride and very quiet. I still have the original tyres on! It's never required an oil top up (other than when serviced) even the water bottle for the screen wash holds enough to last between servicing. Servicing costs less than you’d think, a 3 series BMW costs more! It's fast, practical & survived my kids without showing any signs of wear. If anyone is thinking of buying a 4x4 you must test drive this car.

Dave Watts, September 28th 2008

CRD Overland 5dr Auto

This is my second Grand Cherokee after a Range Rover. My first was a 1997 4l petrol. I though that was good, this one is brilliant. I cannot understand why it so poorly rated. My other car is an E Class Mercedes with the same engine. That will do 40 mpg on my 10 mile run to work. The Jeep will do 30 mpg. That is keeping to the speed limits which the majority is 60 mph.I did not achieve this until after 2000miles. I have now done 3000miles.I need this car to take cattle to the market and move horses around. the BMWX5 and Volvos are too light to do this safely. I studied in great detail all the 4X4s before I purchased this one. It was ahead on all counts i.e. fuel economy, towing capability,specifications and particularly value for money. Thank you Jeep

KEVIN FORDER, Berkshire, August 22nd 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

Agree with all the positive comments here. Wonderful engine and gearbox combination, effortlessly powerful and more 'direct' to drive than it's Mercedes ML sister. Quite happy with 28mpg knocking around and 32mpg on a long run. Good size, image and styling; abit like a slightly squashed RangeRover Sport [none the worse for that], but half the price and a darn sight quicker! We never thought seriously about a Jeep before they teamed-up with Mercedes but what a combination; sexy Jeep style with German technology, a perfect combination. And they are built in Austria! Grand Cherokee is the best looking car in the Jeep range and an absolute bargain. Best colours? Black, Grey or Blue...

jules mcray, August 4th 2008

V8 Limited 5dr Auto

I have a secondhand 5.7 litre version which was a bargain at current prices. It is an ideal car for the pensioner being easy to climb into, has great maneouvreability given its size, and with the wonderful engine a treat to drive with bags of power when needed. It is used mainly for fun in and around Derbyshire and with a low annual mileage costs are acceptable. I previously owned a Cherokee 4.0 litre straight six which was enjoyable but skittish in the wet -this car handles rather better. Without entering into the politics or science of changes in climate, now is the time to buy a big engined car for low mileage enjoyment and use other means for long distances or commuting.

David Bowker, July 27th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr Auto

After 18 months of ownership I feel qualified to comment on this excellent vehicle. Frankly I am sick of road-testers putting Jeep quality down; our current 3.0CRD has been 100% reliable and the interior does the job more than adequately - nothing falls apart. It’s no good expecting Β£50k Range Rover trimmings in a vehicle half the price – people get with the plan. All you have to do is read the rave reader reviews here from the people that matter, the people who own and drive them every day. Basically the GC is an honest, powerful vehicle with an excellent image; something alittle different from the herd. Also, it’s startlingly good on long runs with overall refinement surprisingly high. Improvements? Perhaps abit more economy could have been eked out of the superb engine but the power on-tap is a hoot! Previously mentioned windscreen pillar and tunnel intrusion are noticeable at first but really aren’t a problem once acquainted. For the money they are unbeatable and over a year old they're a bargain. Only car that betters it is the original X5 but they don't tow as well.........

ken hendry, June 10th 2008

CRD 5dr Auto

Think I'm a rarity, I use my Jeep off-road everyday, in the extremes of Highland weather. After a great many 4WD vehicles over the years(mainly Defnders)we are now very happy with the Jeep GC; day-to-day they are so reliable and have so much grunt - towing along our tracks nothing can touch it. The 3.0crd merc engine is a peach, totally refined and very capable. Also the 4WD system works extremely well at transfering torque where it's needed with alarmingly little fuss.. It has a real talent in snow and ice like nothing else I have ever driven! My only complaint would be the front overhang is too long and low and we have to watch our approach angle on some of the rough stuff. On longer A-road trips it's superb. Highly recommend this honest powerful workhorse especially at a year old.

Geoff Munro, May 27th 2008

CRD 5dr Auto

Simply outstanding value especially as a used buy. Very strong Mercedes engine and smooth gearbox. Great low-key image especially in the non-bling standard version with has most equipment you'll need. We just added rear parking sensors. We get approx 29mpg on a brim-to-brim test with the OBC being alittle pessimistic showing about 1.5mpg less. Beats everything else at this price level, and a good few at much more money. Lovely relaxing drive and no issues at all in our two years of ownership. Perhaps the trim could be plusher but it doesn't matter at this price and Jeep could have a detuned version for even more economy (like Merc have done with the ML), but all in all a superb vehicle and we are about to buy another!

Roy Jones, May 26th 2008

CRD Overland 5dr Auto

I have just taken delivery of a brand new Overland 2008 model, having driven a BMW X5 3.0d sport for the last 3 years. This Jeep is fully loaded with in-car rear DVD system sunroof mygig media centre (with hard drive) full leather throughout its amazing VFM on the road at Β£32,000.00. I was going to buy another X5 but decided to save myself the Β£16,000 excess. This is a true off roader with real on road presence and for me stands out from the crowd of euro 4x4 which are begging to all look the same. The V6 CRD (merc) power unit means this overland moves every bit as quick as my old X5, it drives like a much bigger vehicle than the X5 which handled much the same as regular family saloon. For me this is a boy's car built with boy's in mind. The vehicle looks mean and sturdy and I paid out for privacy windows which are extremely dark, letting you play the local drug barron whilst going up the co-op for the paper. Trust me this 2008 model is the b**s as Katherine Tate might say, go and have a look at it, drive it for a day you won't be disappointed........ and with the money you save you can pay the road tax, congestion charges, increased fuel bills and parking fines and still have change to fly to some exotic destination, like Dubai and see a country full of every conceivable 4x4 money can buy and reflect on how modest you Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland really is.

Ross Lucas-Young, Hampshire, May 21st 2008