Jeep Patriot 4x4 Owner reviews

CRD Limited 5dr

Wonderful 4x4, we have two now the 2.0CRD Limited and a 2.2 CRD Overland, the cars have been faultless, good quality, excellent ride and good level of equipment. Day to day its great to drive, good on motorways and great off road for where we live. service costs are good dealer is brilliant and really excellent after service, we cant fault in anyway. On the road we get about 40mpg around town on good run this rises to 45.6mpg. Would recommend to anyone, well done Jeep

Ian Winterflood, August 29th 2011

CRD Limited 5dr

Just received my 09 Jeep patriot LTD 2.0 CRD, and I must agree with most of you out there. if you want something a bit exclusive something that shouts personality then this compact 4WD is the business. The limited edition gives the best value for money, the gems include, heated front seats, leather interior, power wing mirrors, strong sound system and good 2nd gear pull away from the lights. I have already ran it in on the motorway and it did very well at speed. not too noisy and held very steady. The seating position is not as high as the cherokee or Freelander but it gives you enough perspective. I must commend JEEP for taking the feedback so positively, and completely revamping the interiors. The new touches of silver trim, round air vents and better plastic touch materials does lift the quality from 08 models. I feel now i got even better value for my money. it cost me Β£45 to fill it up. I tested most of the leading Compact SUV out there, VW, RAv4, Freelander etc. I can myself a pat on the back for a great decision and so will you!

Xavier Francisco Lau, February 1st 2009

CRD Limited 5dr

I have this car for one year now (20000 miles) and in short, it is just outstanding. It is that very rare bird - car (SUV) with real and special caracter and so practical and well made. Hard and cheap plastic interior!? Interior is absolutely the integral part of the image of Patriot and is beautiful in its simplicity. The only problem with this car is not so good Jeep dealers and general aftersales support. Chrysler should learn something from Japanese. The main point is: this is not car for everyone as everyone can not understand the idea, definitely not for mediocre.

Shon Penn, November 20th 2008

CRD Sport 5dr

I got the Patriot fistly because my local Jeep dealer had a good deal on offer and the price undercutts most of the 4x4 competition. The interior plastics are typical for american cars,but not as bad as most reviews make them out to be. For its size there is lots of head and leg room and the seats are very comfortable, yes there is some wind noise but its not to noisy and the engine is fantastic im getting 44mpg on most runs and on a trip to keswick got 45.6. My previous car was a 1.8 Freelander and the patriot outclasses it in every way. It has enough toys to kep most people happy has enough power for overtaking, is very comfortable and has enough off road ability for when you need it. If your looking for a good deal check out the Patiot before you see the competion.

Mark Rudd, cumbria, October 18th 2008

CRD Sport 5dr

I needed a 4x4 due to the poor winter weather and long dirt track to where i live. But i wanted a 4x4 that could drive like a car and had reasonable running costs for everyday use. Step up this Jeep! It does nearly as much mpg as my old family saloon and is alot more versatile. 4x4 ability is strong (even though it doesn't have low ratio) it is able to handle snow and ice covered hills when they haven't been gritted. A previous reviewer has mentioned his problems with the Jeep; I researched the car thoroughly via the internet before purchase and read excellent owner reviews, particularly from the USA where there are more on the road, there seems to be little (or no) evidence of reliability or problem issues and my ownership experience would back that up.

Paul jones, Derbyshire, October 12th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

Owned this car for a year before getting rid for several reasons. When purchased told service cost for 1st year would be around Β£100, after much haggling at service time and ringing several dealers best price was Β£220. During the first year several issues arose. Two faulty speakers, rusting door hinges, misaligned boot causing some damage to body, rusting seals inside inner rear doors, engine frequently pinking when driving - never happened when at garage though, rusting behind rear number plate and plastic seat belt case had severely been damaged through general wear. Personally I felt the build quality to be very poor inside and out. The engine generally was fine though at times felt under powered for the vehicle. Shame about all the above as my wife and I really liked the size and design of the car - same the execution was so very poor.

wayne brown, October 2nd 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

Just got my 2.0 CRD Limited. I’m very impressed. Compared to other 4WD cars of similar price it handles very well on road. The turning circle is tight and it parks as easily as a family hatchback. It's smaller than it looks but big inside and that's a good combination for a 4WD car. It has the inside space of a larger and more expensive estate car and is frugal on the fuel. I got 44 mpg on a recent 200 mile trip to Wales, slow A roads with a lot of hills. (NOTE Keep out of the turbo zone or this will be reduced!) Overtaking is safe but petrol drivers beware of the narrow diesel power-band; lots of gear-changing is needed. Pay the extra for the limited as the extras are worth it, especially the leather heated seats and cruise/stereo controls on the steering wheel. There’s plenty of room in the back for adults unlike and lots of headroom too. Inside the cabin is a bit plasticky but that's American cars for you. Function is fine but some switches look tacky. A good quality plastic cleaner, keep things looking decent but neglect this and the inside quickly looks shabby and cheap. When your foot is down extra grip is available thanks to intelligent on-demand 4WD and bags of hi-tech wizardry. It looks cool and there aren't many on the road so bonus points there. To summarise, Jeep is a pretty cool brand and this is a good, all-round family estate car with the extra bonus of having 4wd. I think it's more practical than its bigger cousins and is well worth a look.

Richard While-Cooper, West Midlands, September 29th 2008

Sport 5dr

What can I say about this vehicle!! My wife and I totally agree it’s great!! By far the best new car I have ever bought. Pound for Pound this is value for money at its best. I bought the petrol 2.4 L model and I'm certainly not disappointed. I was initially worried about fuel costs but after 8 months of ownership I'm averaging 30mpg (28 round town and 32 on a good run), and it’s not the most expensive TAX bracket either! (Β£210 I think). I can’t see any other reviews about the petrol model but I haven’t had any problems whatsoever. We looked at LOTS of 4x4 and although this was one of the cheaper it ranked the highest in our view! In my view, if you don’t do too many miles consider the petrol. It’s cheaper to initially purchase and petrol costs less. I was told if you do about 10,000 miles a year get a petrol or it will take years to re-coup the cost of buying a diesel. If there was one 'small' critism of this car it would be that when we have 5 people on board it’s a little tight for size/legroom on the rear mid-seat passenger. We are now considering swapping out other car for another Patriot.

Dale Hancock, Cheshire, September 28th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

HAPPY ON BUYING A NEW CAR. 300 MILES 6 DAYS OLD BREAK DOWN FLAT BATTERY. FOLLOWING DAY SAME AGAIN. FIVE DAYS LATER BREAK DOWN FUEL RETURN PIPE FITTED WRONG. FIVE DAYS LATER BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND BROKE DOWN AGAIN. NOT SEEN JEEP SINCE, VERY FUSTRATING. STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM DEALER.

melanie wood, September 2nd 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

I have owned a patriot for 8 weeks and covered 3500 miles,i have found this a pleasure to drive when it works.the day i bought it from whitehouse jeep in kent, the car would not start as i attempted to drive away due to flat battery {great prep work by dealer}.after a jump start i got going only to break down 12 miles later turbo pipe detached itself. 4 weeks later flat battey died,so i had to go back to the dealer for a new one. also paid 1k for startech chip which i must say was brilliant until car broke down again same turbo pipe problem,interesting jeep 24 hr assistance was unable to suppy roadside mechanic 11pm complained to the dealer next day,still waiting to hear from them.so i have now decided to wipe my mouth and accept the ONLY Β£12K surrender value. funny i had a compass 6 months earlier and had trouble with the dealer who thought it was funny to sell me a car with stocking finance on it 5 weeks later. beware jeep dealers service BACK TO BMW AFRAID

ted roberts, July 31st 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

We have just bought the Lmited model and got a fantastic deal although we had to travel as our dealer wouldn't play ball. We opted for the 2.0 CRD in Metalic red with electric sunroof and upgraded sound system (a fantastic piece of kit if you enjoy your music). After driving cabriolets for the past 10 years this was a gamble but all I can say it was well worth it. On the motorway between Blackpool and Chester it returned 47.5 MPG at a steady 70 MPH with the cruise control on. Overall the ride is excellent and comfortable and there is no roll when you go round corners. The wife can sit up right in the front seat with her legs crossed, not many cars you can do that in. The only let down if you are really looking for faults is that it has a lot of interrior plastic trim which some people like to crib. All the extras on the limited model are well worth paying the extra for. As a car goes I'm always looking for an excuse to go out and drive it. Whats more I have only had the car for 3 weeks and in that timeonly seen one other on the road.

John Gourley, Lancaashire, April 27th 2008

CRD Sport 5dr

We have just bought this car new and got a fantastic deal. We opted for the 2.0 CRD Sport in Black with privacy glass and the audio pack - a must. So far the car is superb and after 6 years of BMW ownership I wanted something completely different and this Jeep is. I highly recommend it - already and after only 400 miles we're seeing 43MPG! I can't comment on running costs as it's so new, but with a VW engine it should be on the low side. The ride is excellent, the cabin is queit, everything is screwed together very well. The driving position is great and the controls simple and logical to use. This is a car that we will keep for at least 5 years and if early signs are this good we're confident it will be a practicle hard wearing SUV, which is what we wanted.

Simon Harris, Essex, April 4th 2008

Limited 5dr

I cover at least 20,000 miles per year and have now covered 1200 miles of trouble free motoring in the Patriot. It has averaged 43 miles to the gallon and the low diesel light has been coming on between 380 and 398 miles covered. I had the optional entertainment pack (which I would recommend as seriously good sound)and the sunroof has added valuable light to the dark interior. As per the USA plastics are not up to German standards but adequate. A little bit sluggish at low revs (should free up with more miles!)but above 2000 pulls like a train. I actually prefer this to my old X-Trail as it has more character, leather heated seats, is quieter, does more mpg and is costing me Β£60 per month less on PCP. If you are looking for a 4x4 then give the Patriot a try.

Philip James, Cambs, March 27th 2008

CRD Sport 5dr

I have had the car for acouple of weeks now and am very impressed with the performance and handling for its size, although it is a bit sluggish below 1800 revs in low gear.The six speed gearbox is good and can easily be used to compensate for this. Once you get the revs up above 2000 you can feel the power come in with a surge. Fuel economy is good, I achieved around 40mpg round town and country lanes with the diesel. Cabin feels spacious, the seats are very comfortable, but is let down slightly by the plastics which are the usual american tackiness. Driving position could do with more reach. Equipment levels are excellent for a car of this price, mine being the sport model, although front fog lights are not included in this spec. I have fitted the fog lamp kit which comes comlete with wiring harnesses and a new steering column stalk, so is a simple plug and play fitting and looks like a factory fit. Overall I am totally satisfied with the car and it is a joy to drive after owning a suzuki GV1600 for the past 7 yrs.

alan hancock, essex, March 11th 2008

CRD Limited 5dr

I have just taken delivery of my new Patriot 2.0 CRD Limited and have done around 1000 miles in it. I am totally impressed with the vehicle as it really does what is says on the tin. Fuel economy is great (I got an average of 42mpg between London and Lincoln), it has lots of toys and most importantly it has that Jeep character. The Patriot to my mind is the natural successor to the old Cherokee but with everything I didn't like addressed. This includes more headroom, the spare wheel tucked under the floor, a powerful diesel, lower carbon emissions and better equipment. The seats are comfortable and roomy, and the rear seats cleverly recline. I opted for the nine-speaker, six-CD changer, which is really worth it for long journeys. The engine needs a bit of help from the gearbox at low revs, but there is good pick-up when you need it for overtaking. The car is surprisingly nimble for its size. The only niggle is the small size of petrol tank, which is approximately 10 gallons, giving a range of about 365-380 miles. Other than that I am very happy and would recommend it to anyone looking for a value-for-money 4x4.

Tarek Hayat, July 24th 2007