CRDi 2 5dr

Lovely smooth ride, average power, reasonably quiet (Whatcar's tester must have hyper-sensitive hearing). It's a great long distance cruiser but equally good around town, extremely well spec'd for midrange model (2), plush and solid materials, masses of space and classy looks. I get about 52mpg most of the time, sometimes 60 if I make the effort. It's a great all-round package and improvement on the previous model (I owned the Ceed 2 2010 hatchback which proved extremely reliable). I chose this car after test-driving the equivalent VW Golf (really boring) and Volvo V40 (really impractical) which both disappointed in comparison. My Ceed SW is very easy to live with. Minus Points ? Improved refinement over old model and longer gearing has made it slightly less involving and zippy on country lanes but I adapted to this after a few weeks of ownership.

Jonathan Challis, Kent, November 9th 2014

CRDi 4 5dr

The Good: Was great value to buy, fully specced with Leather, Sat Nav, Rear reversing camera etc. Is also very cheap to run with 50mpg+ and only Β£30 road tax. I'm pleased with the performance, it's nippy and holds the road well. Also plenty of driver space and comfort (I'm 6ft 5"). The Bad: I've had many niggles with the car. The Bluetooth doesn't always connect, when it does voice quality is poor and is sometimes crashes the system. The Sat Nav came with no traffic and Kia then asked for Β£70 to update the firmware. The anti roll bars needed to be replaced when only two years old which I wouldn't expect. Aircon has failed. Stability Control light comes on and has to be reset. The Ugly: The dashboard fit was poor, creating many squeaks. When I took it to the dealership when it got worse, apparently manufacturing faults are only covered for 1 year and not the 7 years on the warranty! Overall a good, cheap and efficient run around, but build quality is average and don't expect the 7 year warranty to cover everything.

David Green, Buckinghamshire, October 20th 2014

CRDi 4 Tech 5dr

Can't understand what cars review. My Cee'd SW 4Tech is a brilliant car for the money, great economy, fast enough for most needs, great relaxed drive. Well done Kia. I also owned a Kia Sorento from new in 2004 sold in 2012 8 years of trouble free motoring, the Land Rover Discovery I owned before that spent more time in the garage than it did on the road!!

Timothy Allbutt, Worcestershire, June 2nd 2014

CRDi 2 EcoDynamics 5dr

Bought a nearly new Kia Ceed CRDI 1.6 Auto in April 2014. I needed to get a car quickly and decided to go for a Ceed out of a shortlist made of a Golf, Leon and Skoda. I previously had a Peugeot 308 HDI 90. I chose that car based on looks, economy and practicality. VW had no stock! Badge was not an issue. So got the deal done and collected the car. On collection, I realised that one tire at the front had been replaced and the fuel cap was not aligned to the body panel. Not a great start! 3 weeks later got the V5 and realised that the past owner was Europcar and not Kia as I was expecting. (That explained the issues) So I contacted Kia customer service which proved to be a real waste of time. No star for Kia's after sale service! It does not feel like they care about their brand and their customers. I now know why the salesman did not show me the full V5. Lessons: Don't rush to buy a car, don't trust a dealership, don't expect them to sort it out once they have your money. Why should I have expected differently! For the car: not economical for a diesel. Handling and interior are good, certainly better than my 308. Steering is not connected to the road. Still not use to lack of feedback. Auto works well except for the manual paddle shift, it won't give you the gear you ask for if you are not in the right rpm band.Pointless! It looks good. 7 years warranty is great as I ll have to keep it for much longer than I anticipated. Plenty of time to learn my lessons!

Eric Camier, Greater London, May 9th 2014

S 5dr

I have 2007 Kia Cee'd 1.4L (the basic spec is called LX in Ireland, I think it was S in the UK). I bought it in early 2010 with 32k kilometers on the clock. It now has 111k kilometers and I just had it checked out in the dealer garage for the last time in warranty (as warranty is ending this week). During the 4 years, the only significant problem I have was that an ignition coil blew, then in less than a month another followed it. Both were replaced under warranty and it seems to be a common issue with aging Kia engines. I like the driving a lot; it is quite lively for a smaller engine, and rather quiet under 100 km/h (60 mph). However, on the motorway at 120+ km/h (70+ mph) it's noisier because the 5th gear is low and there is no 6th gear. So the engine runs at 3600 rpm for 70 mph. I'm a big man and the car is quite comfortable for me, but in the best position, the steering wheel does not let me see the indicator lights. So sometimes a stuck indicator happens. I am most likely keeping this car for another while, with the only downside being petrol consumption. It's not very low, probably because of the revs on the motorway. I get about 7.3 l/100 km, which, conversion tools tell me, is about 39 mpg. I and my wife started to drive more in the last year or two, and the cost stings. But, replacing it with a newer diesel would be a LOT of money, and an older diesel might easily cost much more in repairs!

Mikhail Ramendik, Limerick, February 2nd 2014

CRDi 4 EcoDynamics 5dr

Cabin is premium. Included on this car are: leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual climate control, sat nav, reversing camera, cruise control, stop start tech, key less entry and start, usb and aux in. In short pretty much everything you could want from a car. If you do more than just drive to the shops you should consider one of these. Plus there is a 7 year warranty. I mix motorway with City center driving and get 45mpg return. on a decent motorway run it will average 55 - 60. The dealership were also very patient and helpful.

Daniel Lockey, Lancashire, January 27th 2014

S 5dr

For;The ceed is well equipped,it is very cheap to buy and run and it is extremely spacious. Best of all, it is very safe. Against;It can get noisy at high speeds,rear plastics feel cheap.

Marcus Perks, Shropshire, January 20th 2014

CRDi 3 5dr

In the three months that I have been using this car I have already 10,000 miles and have been very impressed with this car. Admittedly this is no Focus behind the wheel but still very good to drive other than rolling a bit in the corners but its very comfy and I can drive to Scotland from Hampshire and get out the other end and still feel human. Also I don't know of any other estate that looks as good as a C'eed, other estates just look boring. Economy wise its very impressive with getting anything up to 60mpg, but on average about 55mpg. Build quality is very close to VW standards with the only noise in the cabin being where the two front seats occasional rub against the transmission tunnel. I have read reviews saying that engine is noisy but I have to disagree I think that its a very refined car its just the engine could do with a little more power occasionally can be left wanting like when accelerating up to motorway speed, its ok when you get there it just takes a while to get there. The only bad points that I've found so far is that the Bluetooth technology is a little behind the times (What a KIA technician told me), i.e if you have a personal phone and a work phone you have to manually change to the different phone where as in other vehicles do it by itself. Also the gearbox can be very notchy and when you come up to a junction and stop its very easy to get third rather than first. Finally the cruise control system is a little crude where it can be a bit jumpy.

Karl Voice, Hampshire, October 22nd 2013

CRDi 2 EcoDynamics 5dr

Before purchasing the Kia I also tried the Ford Focus as a comparison and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Ceed compared to the Ford. The Focus (which I have owned before) is nothing special or interesting as it seems Ford have played it safe and are simply trading on their badge. Well look out Ford as Kia can now be known for their badge also. The build quality of the updated Ceed is excellent feeling both solid inside and out, I just love the way it looks also with strikingly good looks. This is no way taking away from how it drives as it definately drives as good as it looks being extremely composed and steady both on motorway munching miles as well as the twisty turning bits on the Welsh roads where we live. The cabin as with the exterior of the car is extremely well put together feeling both luxurious as well as having easy to use controls, with most situated nicely on the steering wheel. The fuel consumption so far on our car has been hovering around the 51mpg mark but as the car is only just hitting 1,000 miles I would hope for this to get better (no way will it get to the 70's figure as stated in the glossy mags, but that is the same with all cars) The engine is a real gem pulling nicely from low to high revs and never running out of pulling power. On the whole this is a car I would highly recommend to anyone who asks as its a real quality item which is now in full competition with its no longer "better" rivals.

Philip Jones, Neath Port Talbot, July 20th 2013

CRDi 1 EcoDynamics 5dr

Had a new white 1.6 diesel auto on hire for 6 days just a couple of weeks ago. The first thing that hit me was how strikingly good the car looked! Inside, the dash was nice, the seats were comfortable and the controls were all to hand. Although β€œonly” a 1.6 engine, the car pulled away from rest smartly enough and had decent enough mid range push to maintain high speed cruising on A/B roads and motorways. On the downside, the steering wasn't as accurate and the handling wasn't as sharp as I've experienced in the C segment class leaders, e.g. Focus and Golf. I was impressed with the suspension though. Primary ride quality was good – no crashing over pot holes. Secondary ride quality was good too – I felt minimal vibration when cruising at high speed on A/B roads and motorways. And sound proofing was good also – I was never conscious of road noise, or wind noise for that matter. Ironically (for a 1.6 diesel), I would say this car's main weakness is fuel economy. I got 48mpg on a 70 mile extra urban trip which I drove β€œnormally”, i.e. cruising at speed limits rather than 50mph etc and no hyper-miling tricks. Mixed driving returned about the same mpg. But to be fair, these figures are in keeping with the official Kia data which shows that the auto gearbox does significantly impact fuel economy compared to the manual gearbox. Summary: I would advise buyers considering a C segment car to put a manual gearbox version of this on their short list, with Focus, Golf and i30.

Peter Piper, May 22nd 2013

1 5dr

Took one of these (1.4 petrol) out for the day whilst my own Mk2 Cee'd Diesel was in for a service. There's no doubting that this is a substantial leap forward in terms of style and luxury with the cabin a more pleasant place to be (not that the old one is bad). It's neater, plusher and more driver-focussed. The ride is also much improved and quietly sees off potholes. But I couldn't help feeling that the improvements have left the car feeling a little less involving than the older model, maybe less agile. I note the same has been reported about the latest Golf and Focus. In the Ceed's case, testers seem to blame this on the steering but it seemed reasonably responsive to me on this model's 15 inch wheels. I'd be interested in trying a diesel model as the heavier front end and higher torque might alleviate the remoteness I felt at the wheel. But all in all, a very impressive car and further proof of the progress being made by a brand eager to please. However, thanks to its substantially increased price, the improvements are not enough to tempt me out of my 3yr old Mk2 for now - but I await the mid-life update with interest.

Jonathan Challis, Kent, March 22nd 2013

1 5dr

Sorry Kia you have disappointed me. And yes I own a 2010 Kia Ceed. And Kia should know why and some car reviewers? I hear that Kia keeps watching Ford to see what they do? So when Ford went to shrink the Focus, more like a Fiesta now, well guess what Kia decided to shrink the Ceed. Is that leadership. They did not give owners the same space they had. Where can my child sit in the middle seat in the back in the new model? I asked my five year old. She said Dad, it has almost no space there now! Certainly not enought to fit her child seat properly! You could see the car salon salesman shrinking, just like the car, as my child compared, never mind an adult, the two cars side by side! They did not not give more space! Please check it out, they shrunk the car? Now the 2010 car already did have a few problems. Like the electric power steering that quits at times! Like on the highway when you are crossing tram tracks! Wow not safe! The car was in and out of the dealer time after time! At one point the service place had the car for more than one month waiting for parts. I waited to see the new car and check it out! I did! To me it is less not more! But to each their own. I disappointed owner who had waited for something better. Oh and yes, they jacked up prices. Not an auotmatic costs about 50% more than it did? I think Kia forgot about their resale values by jacking up prices like that? An executive I know who had looked at fleet prices was angry, upset!

Kevin Darroch, August 3rd 2012

S 5dr

My late 2010 1.6 CRDI has covered 43,000 miles in just over 18 months. The good. So far the car seems totally reliable. The interior still looks new and the equipment (3 spec) is well suited to the cars market position. There is plenty of space for adults in the back and the boot is a decent size. In normal driving it is a very competent and an easy if slightly dull drive. However if you press on a bit it really comes alive – the engine has some punch, the handling improves with speed and twisty roads are surprisingly fun. The not so good. Road noise on poor surfaces can become a bit wearing. The slightly daft low profile tyres fitted to the three spec can’t help. The paint on mine is also showing a few chips. One drawback is the extra cost in keeping the warranty valid. It must be serviced at annual intervals even if you are nowhere near the 20,000 mile service limit. Fitting a tow bar costs a lot since you must use the manufacturers dedicated wiring loom to avoid invalidating the warranty. The real problem is fuel consumption. Driven carefully at the motorway legal limit it will just about manage 50 MPG. Dropping to 60 helps by a few MPG but around town early 40’s will be a good result. I suspect the particulate filter is the problem here – this is one of the first Ceeds with a D.P.F. The real world MPG figures mean most people will probably do better in a petrol version though a decent pre DPF diesel may be a great choice.

Pe ca, durham, April 8th 2012

CRDi 2 5dr

Further to my 2011 review, and with the car almost 3 years old still no regrets about my purchase - even after checking out and driving the newest, latest and substantially more costly competition ... like the handsome but claustrophobic Volvo V40 and the dreadfully uncomfortable Audi A3. I could afford such cars but really don't think they warrant the extra outlay. Everything I said in my earlier review still stands.

Jonathan Challis, Kent, March 9th 2011

S 5dr

Coming up to my car's first birthday I thought it best to submit an update on my experience of owning a Kia C'eed so far. I have now covered a total of 11,000 hassle-free miles and I have but not one gripe about this super family car. I have recently become a dad for the first time and the C'eed's spacious boot is coming up trumps, easily able to fit in a Bugaboo pram chassis and cot. In the back installing an ISOFIX car seat unit was a doddle and after a quick YOUTUBE installation video this was fitted in a matter of minutes. On the driving front the car continues to deliver about 42-43 mpg. on a route that consists of 50% dual-carriageway 70 mph driving & around town driving generally brings this down to 38 mpg. Taxing the car this week revealed a nice surprise, Β£110 for the year which although may seem expensive compared to Eco models (Β£30 per year..albeit an additional Β£3,000 when buying the car) was actually cheaper than our second car, a VW Urban Fox 1.2. In summary the last 6 months have been a continuation of the first fantastic 6 months of ownership (see my first review) and I can't stop telling people about the qualities of the Kia C'eed. Friends & family have all been impressed by the car and I have already noticed a few 'Kia convertees' in fact my best friend has recently bought a Black 1.4 Kia C'eed himself at a brilliant Β£8,495 (including a Β£1,000 trade-in). Buying a Kia C'eed is the best car decisision I have ever made...and only 6 years more warranty

Jamie Roberts, norfolk, August 30th 2010

CRDi LS 5dr [113]

I have been driving a 1.6 CDI for 4000 miles now and found it to be very good. The build quality is solid, much better than many cars at this price. Ecconomy about 45mpg overall, 41 urban, I have seen 59mpg The engine has resonable torque and makes for a relaxed drive. Dislikes: the tango orange instrument cluster, for me it is too bright when at it's lowest setting. The overall design is rather dull particulary when the colour is grey.

Kenneth Smith, Kent, February 21st 2009

CRDi LS 5dr [113]

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

john lindsay, December 18th 2008

GS 5dr

I took delivery of my Cee'd on the 18/11/2008.On the motability scheme. My previous car was a Vauxhall Astra design 1.8 auto. I've have been with Vauxhall since 1994. My new Kia is an automatic. It looks good in black. The engine feels perky.comfotable seats. Both front seats have lumbar adjustments. The only thing i really miss from the Astra is the self dipping rear view mirror. It was a godsend after all of the dipsticks behind you that cant be bothered to dip their lights. It is very spacious inside. Also the boot opening is more accessible than the astra. One more little niggle is the light controls. They are on the indicator stalk. And the dashboard lights make it look like youve been tangode. Apart from that i am well pleased . Recommended.

stephen kourris, November 20th 2008

GS 5dr

although i haver not driven a Ceed yet , i have already put into my short list of potential purchase,s.I currently own a 2.0 focus and am looking to get a smaller car due to running costs,my focus is 130bhp and the Ceed 1.6 is 120bhp so there is not much differance in power ,however i would not buy a new focus.One of the chief reasons being the application of drums brakes on anything under 2.0 and the fact the new focus is so cramped also the engine range is not that great either the 1.6 is 10bhp down on the Ceed to start with, yet the Ceed has discs allround as standard on all models it is also spacious and very well equiped.I think why should i compramise on safety just to be loyal to a brand.That is why when i do come to change my car next year i will be visiting my local Kia dealer and not Fords

alistair venning, leicestershire, November 18th 2008

LS 5dr

I tested a few ceed's both petrol and deisel 1.6 and 1.4 the 1.4 petrol was a bit lazy but the 1.6 d was very quick smooth and quite and I went to two different agents before deciding which to purchase, in the end went back to the dealership in Bognor sussex. Newbarn kia they were very good no hard sell unlike the 2nd dealer i went to I did buy the demo car 1.6 petrol LS with ESP/ LEATHER INTERIOR / Very nice car to drive much better than my focus which i traded in. the brakes are good disc's all round. the steering is ok once you have done a few miles and got the feel of it The one thing which I would comment on is the indicaters on the right hand side. but this has now been put on the left on the later models I had door protecters fitted for obviouse reasons and reversing aids. all in all a very nice car especialy with the 7year warrenty Β£11999

maurice murison, MIDDLESEX, September 15th 2008