CRDi KX-2 5dr

95% of time I need a car that can cruise happily ... and for 6 months of the year the ability to weekly tow my boat of 2.2T on its twin axle trailer. I went for the KX2 SatNav which had all the toys you could need – fully loaded. Certainly what I would class as a man sized SUV - seats are wide, good elbow room & a great driving position. Positives Had the car 2 years - it drives well, has all the performance I need, is comfortable, reliable ... not had a thing go wrong, not even a bulb fail. KIA dealer (Gravells, Swansea were superb ... best dealer I have ever used) Silly points... Maps - SatNav arrived with maps 2 years out of date (based on local roads), and by now 4 years out-of-date and map updates are NOT included in warranty. They are in some countries in Europe - so bad form KIA UK No 12V outlet in rear, as this is aimed to be a serious SUV .. it really needs a 12V accessory outlet in rear. Removable tow bar – expensive and if you remove a huge oblong hole shows in bumper and exposes spare wheel - RIDICULOUS. SERIOUS PROBLEM (causes 2 star rating) Biggest issue is its inability to tow 2.2T (limit is 2.5T) properly, it cannot do hill starts or up gentle slope reverse manoeuvring without clutch slipping and burning, KIA are aware of the DMF issue, (I have had 3 clutch changes)but are unable to fix it – and no plans if it will be fixed in future models. Obvious answer would be an automatic box that allowed 2.5T ... (current auto only support

Rick Hughes, January 9th 2015

CRDi KX-3 5dr Auto

Drove KX-4 Auto 7 seater for a week as a demo. The ride was comfortable rather than sporty - tight cornering required a lower speed than I am used to but more gradual bends could easily be taken at the national speed limit. Automatic box was a little slow to respond and kick down did not promote overtaking. Relaxed motorway driving with cruise control but struggled on the Northumberland hills - often searching for the right gear. Specification was very good and all the important controls in easy reach. Sat Nav worked well although maps of Northumberland need updating. Panoramic Sunroof made the cabin light and airy particularly for the rear seat passengers. Plenty of storeage and good head and leg room for a family of 4 adults but seats 6+7 are just for kids so I would go for a 5 seater. Blu Tooth worked very well and was easy to set up. Cabin width was excellent with good shoulder room and arm rests. Seats also very comfortable. All in all a very good vehicle but just not quite as good as the Santa Fe which I also drove for a week on Demo. 7 year warranty is reasuring but as a company car driver not relevant.

Neal Hann, Tyne & Wear, March 18th 2014

CRDi KX-2 5dr

I have owned this car for 9 months and have been impressed with its quality and all-round ability, although as a 7 seat family car it does have some limitations. As someone who lives mainly in Germany I can confirm this is a quiet comfortable cruiser at speed. The fuel is good for the size of the car but you will struggle to get anywhere near to the claimed figures. At about 75-80mph just over 40mpg; during very short town journeys lowest 28. The acceleration is good with strong in gear torque and the handling feels assured for such a large vehicle. It has a commanding driving position but the front feels a lot longer than it is. It has a tight turning circle and light steering giving good manoeuvrability. The gear change feels precise and smooth. Bad Points - Manual has sections which haven't been reviewed by a native english speaker. It doesn't tell you (KX-1) how to change from Celc to Fahrenheit. (5 press menu button then 5 on down arrow or vice versa) Manual states 2yr service interval, Kia UK state 1yr. Rest of Europe is 2yr for the same car. Stereo volume does not reduce to hear parking sensors. The seat-belt holders in the boot are flimsy leading to belts catching on the luggage cover. Only left middle row seat goes forward to allow rear access & headrest catches on seat in front if not lowered. Middle seat (due to 60/40 split) is a squeeze with three car seats/boosters and seat-belt is off centre pulling seat side-wards. Boot although large is quite s

Alan Axon, March 15th 2014

CRDi 1 5dr 2WD

I bought this Kia (September 2010) after my previous (another make) 4x4 failed. I have had this through the winter months using it in anger off road to get to our horses in deep snow and ice. I have the auto box and being able to change in to the manual mode with locked differential was brilliant - the car has superb grip with standard tyres. The car also pulls well as I have a horse box and this caused it no problems. The interior is good despite others comments and is practical. The only issue I have is the driving lights and the ride height. The vehicle sits very high and I have to use the lights in the position 3 which does not give great distance at night. The "fog" lamps are poor. Otherwise this car is great and 7 seats are brilliant. I would recommend this car to people who want value for their money and are not worried about the image of the badge.

ian beard, northamptonshire, February 25th 2011

CRDi KX-2 5dr

It is 8 months since I last passed comment on my KX-2 Auto but I am prompted to bump it up to a full 5-star rating this time due to the way that it cosseted me through the vagaries of the winter. First things first and the standard Nexen Roadian rubber is OK in general but not ideal for a tough winter. I had a couple of trips across northern Europe to contend with and went for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin which I got a great deal on in Tallinn. With good winter rubber the season was a dawdle apart from a 200km stretch of continuous black ice on a very early Sunday morning on a Swedish motorway in January - that was NOT fun. Fuel economy has remained reasonable throughout and the manufacturer's figures are pretty much on the money. In the first 10,000 miles the car seemed to sip a little oil but this has eased off although I always keep a regular eye on such things. I can understand the previous reviewer's point about the light settings but I beefed up my bulbs in Tallinn in the winter and this seemed to improve things. My brother borrowed the Sorento in February to take some friends to a football match and he was fulsome in his praise which is remarkable as he is BMW, BMW, BMW. Like me he was awfully impressed with the kick-down and very quickly discovered that overtaking is a piece of cake with 40-60 accomplished with no drama whatsoever. He is seriously thinking about buying one before next winter. I am so happy that I did not buy the Shogun as was my origi

Phil Lawrence, Moray, September 18th 2010

CRDi XE 5dr

I bought a used Kia Sorento from a local Evans Halshaw garage and in my opinion got a bargin. I phased a '56 XE model with 5k on the clock for just over £12k. The car was initially bought to tow our 22ft caravan so I didn't expect the refinement and comfort the Kia provides. In a word it's excellent. The gear box is smooth and gear changes are precise throughout the range. Steering is light and deliberate and the vehicle holds the road as well as some smaller cars. I liked the Sorento before I towed with it, now I love it. It has all the raw grunt and power I expected with the quality and comfort of a top of the range family saloon. Best 4x4 on the market in it's price range.

Lee Stevenson, Tyne & Wear, June 30th 2008

CRDi XS 5dr

We were looking for a diesel car to tow a 1700kg twin axle caravan and considered a number of options. I am 6' 5" tall, and I just managed to squeeze in the Disco 2, but the styling is a disappointment. The latest Disco looks too much like a Transit. The BMW X5 was too much of a Sloane Ranger and the Touareg too expensive to run and service. However, the Sorento ticked all the boxes. I climbed in, made myself comfortable and drove away for a very pleasant test drive. I chose the auto box to avoid an overworked left leg while towing and found the XS level of trim is more than sufficient. It tows the caravan with no problems whatsoever, and pulled out of a soggy site following a rain storm without a problem. If you are going to spend time behind the wheel, you have to 'engage' with the car; I did just that. The Sorento is solid, reliable and friendly. That's it; it's friendly.

John Sykes, Lincs, May 15th 2008

CRDi XE 5dr

Almost bought a Freelander! Thank god I read the reviews in 'What Car?'.Questioned the dealer amd he confirmed the problems existed but only up until 06 models. Walked away & purchased a Sorento - What joy! Very high Spec, quality ride,enough space in the cabin for six footers like me, feels safe & secure, a boot big enough to get all of "Billy the Kids" baby equipment in & more. Also cheaper to buy & better on fuel efficiency than the slightly more popular Freelander (not for long). The steering is a little light, but you need it when parking such a large vehicle. Doesn't have the kudos of the Freelander but who cares - I love it! Thank you all you Freelander & Sorento reviewers!! I owe you.

Avon Dixon, Leicestershire, April 22nd 2008

CRDi XSE 5dr

Purchased mainly to tow a large caravan which it does with ease - I wish I'd had an excuse to buy one a long time ago. A great drive and well equipped - good value for your money. Looks great as well - better than most if not all 4X4s (but then I would think that - I bought one). No problems so far except for a tailgate that won't lock with the remote - I have to use the key. Decided on an auto version as it's so much more relaxing - allows you to concentrate on the road more (in my humble opinion). Just under 3 years old and 25k on the clock - I'm already planning to upgrade to a newer version in a couple of years time. I'll follow with additional comments when I've experienced Kia service.

David Brown, Wiltshire, April 22nd 2008

CRDi XE 5dr

Bought my sorento 2.5 xe manual brand new in October of last year (56 plate) for £15000 which was a bargain, and it still had the plastic covering on the bodywork. great car to drive and be driven in. No problems so far, hasnt missed a beat. Interior is a high quality for the price of the vehicle and the seats are very comfertable. I Previously owned an 03 freelander before the sorento, had no problems with it. the freelander compared to this was awful, the interior was all cheap plastics, the ride was very hard and there was only 1 airbag for a middle of the range car! only grudge with this car is it can be very bouncy when going over speed bumps, it seems to roll around. Excellent car and would definatly recommend it to anyone.

thomas managh, January 25th 2008

CRDi XE 5dr

Wonderfully smooth gearbox, feels powerful and overtakes without any problems. Excellent for towing (which is why we bought it in the first instance!). Cornering is scary especially at speed with the body roll. Not the greatest road car but very capable off road. Very smooth ride on motorways which gives you confidence. For a big car it is very easy to park with good all round visibility. Well equipped with all the relevant toys. Second hand prices are exceptionally good. For goodness sake be careful of the dealers. The lies and inaccuracies told were unbelievable!!! Our vehicle was sold as in perfect condition. I gave the vehicle keys back at one stage and claimed that the vehicle was contraveining the sale of goods act. The dealer immediately arranged for a new clutch after I threatened to take them to court and report the matter to the head office. A shame really because the car really is an excellent performer. It is surprisingly economical and am contemeplated running it on biodiesel in the future. The children enjoy riding in the car especially with the additional 12v outliets to run their psp's and dvd on. Pity the government has decided to penalise on the road tax because of pressure from rabid greens. Nice car, would buy another one although it would have to be black instead of the rather boring blue it sports at this time and not sourced from dodgy dealers.

Steven Wright, Cheshire, December 30th 2007

V6 XS [5] 5dr Auto

The only problem I have with the car is cornering, it scares me still after 2 years. I always feel like it will tip if I do not slow right down when driving bends and cornering. Everthing about the 3.5 XS I love: it's quiet, roomy and neat and tidy inside. The model I have is heavy on petrol for urban driving but then that is to be expected of a big engine. Also Kia service is excellent and affordable as are the parts to buy. I am looking to buy the Kia Sorento 2.5 crdi XT. Kia got the body shape right and to me beats a lot of the more expensive models around in the looks dept.

Marie Brown, Lancs, November 15th 2007

CRDi XE 5dr

I bought the Sorento new in 2005 and have put over 65,000 miles in that time. This is the sixth 4x4 i have had and by far the most bullet proof. I got 52,000 miles out of the first set of tyres, have towed twin axle trailers (usually well loaded) including a 1.5 tonne mini digger. The vehicle is used as an every day work horse (in the construction business) and has taken almost every knock possible. It carries cement mixers (leather seats usually folded down) tools tanks of diesel etc etc. Life on the open road has been no less harsh as I have a very heavy right foot, like to brake late and drive it as hard as a sports saloon. It often does a 400 mile same day round trip and never a peep out of it. This really is a superb vehicle and I have done everything possible to test its limits. I had a cherokee before and this makes that look like a total wimp.

Peter Vallely, November 9th 2007

CRDi XS 5dr

Owned Kia Sorento XS auto for about 2 years cover about 15000 mile and not a thing has gone wrong. Value for money it got to be one of the best 4x4 on the market, plenty of space for all the family. Even gets good write ups off most magazines. Looking for a 4x4 ? . . . . take a test drive I am glad I did we saved thousands.

Brian Sherburn, Northumberland, October 8th 2007

CRDi XS 5dr

This is my second New Sorento. It is A 56 REG XS model. The first one was an XT, the only complaint I had with this car was the ride was a bit firm which was mainly down to the low profile tyres. The XS is a far smoother drive. And is probably one of the most under rated vehicles I have ever owned. Buy a Sorento and it will be the only car you could ever need. It's an accomplished motorway cruiser, a good off roader (even for its big size), a versatile family car, a superb tow car (it recently towed a broken down discovery 3 with a loaded 3 tonne trailer behind, up a farm track with ease. The farmers next car will be a Sorento!) but above all it's a car I just love to drive. My Xs has just had its second service at 20k miles and has been totally trouble free and suprisngly cheap to run. This car can do it all with style for the price of your average family saloon. Look no further!

J Jenkins, west glamorgan, October 4th 2007

CRDi XE 5dr

I bought a new 2.5D Sorento XE on 14/07/07. On the day of collection, I recieved a phone call to tell me that the power steering was faulty, which I could not believe as it had only done around 20 miles. When I went to see the car, the steering was OK while driving, but was heavy when still. So I agreed to take the vehicle and bring it back to be repaired if it did not cure itself. There was also a small scratch on the back tailgate, which they promised to remove without me knowing it was ever there. After seven visits to both the sales department and the service department (which is the local Ford dealer down the road!), my car has had, all on seperate occations, an electrical part fitted to the steering, a new power steering pump, and a new steering rack. After every visit, I have had to clean out the dirt and mess they have made, and give it a wash to get the grease off the bodywork (has never been valeted by Kia yet). It is still in the Kia dealer because the scratch has been removed, but the tailgate has been partially resprayed in a different colour to the rest of the car, and has been resprayed with the Sorento badge still on but masked up, so there is a different colour showing through the gaps in the badge! After these problems and after taking it back so many times in such a short time, I now wish I had bought something else.

stephen senior, lincolnshire, September 28th 2007

CRDi XE 5dr

We have had an 2.5 XE Sorento from new on a 53 plate from Draycots Kia dealership at Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. It has never missed a beat - of the three recalls, only one needed to be acted upon. I was given five new alloy wheels at the insistance of Draycots staff (after nearly 50 years of driving a lorry, I don't need to shave in a mirror-like wheel) and all the servicing was done with such courtesy I could have been nearly royalty. We pick up our new Sorento Titan on Sept 1 from Draycots at Sutton in Ashfield. If it's as good as the first one, we have got it made.

edward newell, derbyshire, August 20th 2007

CRDi XT 5dr

I have owned this car for a week. I traded in my Audi A4 Convertible for the Sorento as I have recently got myself a dog and the Audi was no good for my needs anymore. The Sorento was actually an impulse buy. Whilst in the showroom paying for my wife's Picanto (our families third Picanto) I spotted the Sorento and thought, 'That looks the business'. I went to have a look inside expecting to be disappointed with a load of tacky plastic and cloth. I was surprised: the car had EVERYTHING I could ever wish or need for, every gadget you can think of apart from sat-nav. But who wants built-in Sat Nav when you can have portable Tom Tom? I did a deal there and then and picked up a Sorento CRDI XT Auto in black two days later having never even driven the car. I own a Mitsubishi L200 pickup and to be honest thought it might drive a bit like the pick up - but no way. This vehicle drives like a car, the engine is superb and it has plenty of pull and zips along nicely. Two days later I spent a whole day visiting various spots in London and it was a delight to drive. Everyone who has seen the car so far loves it (including my dog, by the way).

mike wark, August 4th 2007

CRDi XS 5dr

This my second Sorento. The first one was used, but I was so impressed that I bought a new one - a 2.5 XS. The value for the price is excellent, the running costs are very good and also the reliabilty is very good. Prior to buying the Sorento I owned a Sportage, which was also perfect to own.

roy schuster, hampshire, July 27th 2007

CRDi XSE 5dr

I am in the process of getting my third Sorento. The first was a brand new (at the time), an 05 XSE manual which was faultless, and the only bad thing I have to say is that the windscreen needs an electric demister instead of using the air-con all the time. The second Sorento was a second-hand 53 plate auto XS which is just starting to go wrong, with the injection system losing pressure. Now I'm getting a 57-plate XT auto. I know I've lost a lot of cash by selling them, but after the XSE we got a Suzuki Grand Vitara (the new shape) and we only had for six months before I was having withdrawl syptoms, so we got the XS and I was happy again.

Ben Davis, Devon, July 20th 2007