Lexus GS Owner reviews

h 2.5 Premier 4dr CVT

What Car's constant default to German cars does get irksome. This car isn't a 'decent choice'. Its supremely comfortable and quiet and a joy to drive. I have had mine for one month and not once have I experienced the 'revs soaring'. In fact it is hard to get any sound from under the bonnet and the main clue that the engine is running is comes from the tachometer. I also tested the Jag XF 3 litre but for me there was no contest between the two. The Jag's interior looks dated against the beautifully made interior of the Lexus. The Jag's stop start coughs noisily into life every time whereas the Lexus glides silently away. And the seats of the Jag vibrate when the engine is ticking over! The Lexus is silky smooth at all times. I agree there is road noise in the Lexus on course surfaces. But there is as well in the Jag, although that point is not mentioned in the Jag review. What is that I wonder? Mostly the Lexus rides quietly and I look forward to every trip in it. I worried about the remote controller after some reviews but you soon get use to it. It is easy to use and quite fun to flick between the screens. I don't like the lack of handbrake in the Lexus, its an electric version instead, but I am learning to live with that.

MALCOLM GUNN, August 1st 2014

h 3.5 Luxury 4dr CVT

I took this car out for a test drive and subject to being able to get one within my company car budget I will definitely be ordering. It is a phenomenal car. Ultra quiet when cruising and extremely relaxing. Long drives in this car would be an absolute breeze. The interior is superb and equivalent in quality to my A6 S line that I previously owned. Everything feels right with the buttons having a great feel to them and the drive is very refined. I'm struggling to think of another car that does everything as well. The most enjoyable aspect of this car is driving in serene peace and quiet at motorway cruising speeds and then accelerating hard at which point the enginge kicks in and makes a glorious growl and rockets the car forward. The boot is a little compromised but nothing too bad and despite everyone raving about the 5 series, which I'm currently driving, this car completely obliterates it on all counts. The bonus will be driving around knowing that you're not going to park it next to a dozen others in the car park and the satisfaction that comes from driving a car that has phenomenal power on tap but looks like your average exec saloon. All this and it's also a little bit green!!!

Simon Cannell, Kent, June 15th 2012

3.0 SE-L 2008 4dr Auto

the car is ok but i really want to know where are all these people get there car?i keep hearing about how GOOD the DEALER is.i had the car for about a year now,been in the dealer for about 6 times to get things fix.every time they said they phone me back it never happens.waiting for a service for 2 months phone them today and they said the guy is on holiday this week(the service is lock in the guys desk)could have sent it to me before he went.there is more but dont want to bore everyone.DEALER SERVICE?WHAT DEALER SERVICE???????

ka wai shek, fife, November 8th 2008

4dr Auto

I have had a 92 Lexus ES300 (which I don't think is available in UK) for many years. It was (and is) so good I recently bought a 98 GS300, which is even better. Quiet, comfortable, superbly finished, excellent performance and no problems. I paid a little more used than I would have done for the least expensive brand new Hyundai. With the increasing price of gas, 6 and 8 cyl cars are not selling quickly and bargains are available. Yet their lower prices more than offset the higher cost of gas. Great car.

Chris Jones, October 5th 2008

3.0 SE-L 2008 4dr Auto [ACC/PCS + Sunroof]

this is a excellent smooth car, fantastic value secound hand however this car has some major issues. Due to this car being designed for the american market the right hand drive models leave your legs slightly twisted hence I very quickly developed a hip issue.The other problem is due to grip, this car has major issues in putting the power down in the wet as well as slidding at low speeds on bends. My wife refused to drive this car hence due to the hip issue and the stability I have since sold this vehicle. On a positive note I have never driven such a smooth quiet vehicle and would recomend this car to anyone who can put up with the draw backs.

Rob McAdoo, South Yorkshire, September 16th 2008

3.0 SE 4dr Auto

I bought my 06 GS300SE as an alternative to the Jaguar I previously owned. I did try the 5 serious saloons, the A4 & A6 but not Mercedes as four people I know are all having problems. The ride is a tad unsettled and the tyres a little intrusive, but with just 20,000 miles on the clock I think a different choice of tyre may resolve this. The drivers seat is the most impressive place I have ever sat, it's also the quietest saloon I have ever experienced. There are no rattles, just a sense of serene watch the world go by. I would definately recommend you try one.

Peter Hessler, Aberdeenshire, May 8th 2008

3.0 SE-L 2008 4dr Auto [ACC/PCS + Sunroof]

It was my intention to buy a luxury car, and I did favour a Merc E-Class, Audi A6, or BMW 5 Series.Having attended 2 Merc dealers locally, no one wanted to talk to me, perhaps the jeans and T shirt, thought I was a tyre kicker! Audi and BMW both appealed to me, but by the time I had added all the toys they came out more exensive than my eventual choice, the Lexus GS300SEL, which I bought from Lexus Birmingham. What a fantastic experience, a car dealer that cares, and remains so. The vehicle is smooth, quiet, and makes a statement, but does not stand out in a crowd.I average 27-36mpg, which is the same as any 2.0 litre turbo petrol engine. I have also had the dash board creaking problem, as mentioned by other reveiwers, but this has been fixed by my excellent dealer, for whom nothing is too much problem. Would I buy another Lexus, possibly, but the range really needs to expand, but the historical reliability and the unblemished dealer service may be the deciding factor.

Peter Rowbotham, West Midlands, April 20th 2008

3.0 SE 4dr Auto

I have a 2007 GS Limited Edition (almost the same spec. as the current SE), bought new & have driven the car for over a year. In short, it's a real mix of the good and the bad. I think the car is great value for the amount of kit it comes with & considerably better value than the premium German cars, with the likes of air-cooled seats, sat nav & voice control as standard. The transmission is very smooth & the cabin is generally very quiet and comfortable. I have found the Lexus dealer in my area (Chester) very polite & accommodating & the price of the first annual service was a pleasant surprise. However (and this is a big issue personally) it seems that the GS has a real issue with build quality, in particular the dashboard. My car's dash rattles and creaks far too much for a Β£37,000 vehicle. Lexus have tried & failed to fix the problem, so now I have to live with it. I have been in 3 different GSs & they all suffered in a way that simply isn't apparent (in my experience) in a Mercedes E-Class or Audi A6. Would I buy another Lexus? Possibly, given the value & the level of dealer service, but it wouldn't be GS & I would take a long test drive!

Bryan Douglas-Dala, Merseyside, April 2nd 2008

h 3.5 SE-L 4dr CVT Auto

Same power as the V8 engine but still return 32mpg, this is incredible. Lovely to drive and live with and the best thing is you don't see them very often so you can always have that exclusive feeling.

Jacky Chan, londonderry, February 3rd 2008

4.3 4dr Auto [Multimedia Pack]

This is my fourth GS, having owned a mark 1 GS300 and two mk 2 GS300s from new. I bought this GS430 at 9 months old and 8K miles for Β£38K, it having lost Β£9K from new. Initially we had a number of problems with the car preparation through the original dealer but these were eventually sorted when a compromise was found. It is worth abouth Β£22K now at 32 months old (mega depreciation). There was a major problem with the climate control and a smell that would not go away, plus dash rattles and driver seat squeaks. The car went to my local dealer 15 times in nine months and after much effort and apologies, they did finally manage to resolve all of the faults (including fitment of two replacement seats).This was NOT my tpyical experience and I believe that the interior was sub-standard on early versions of the new model. It ruined a great drive. It has been OK for 12 months and I will be getting rid soon.

marcus wright, December 22nd 2007

Sport 4dr Auto

I have owned both a E-Class Mercedes E320 and BMW 530i. They are good cars no doubt about it, but the Lexus is better built than both, comes with more kit than both and has the better auto box then both. It's also more reliable. I had my first Lexus last year and have covered over 10,000 miles with great pleasure. Lexus is the true perfectionist and has built a better machine than the Germans. My next car will be a Lexus: the techno marvel 450h. Awesome.

ali vito, July 17th 2007

h 3.5 SE-L 4dr CVT Auto

The GS 450h is a remarkable car. Although slightly on the expensive side compared with German rivals, I very much prefer it to a 5-series. The overall experience in the car is excellent. Initially I thought that the 3.5 V6 and hybrid would not be very economical going by the RX400h, however even with my exuberant driving style, it still managed 30mpg. The power that it produces is phenomenal. When accelerating you can feel the 340bhp, although it merely seems that the outside is going faster. Cruising at 100mph seems the same at 50mph. The road and wind noise is almost non-existent and the ride, although slightly on the harsh side, is acceptable. The GS is okay on the twisty bits, but it is not up to a 5-series for fun. Overall the driving experience is top class. Inside it is fantastic. It is a class leading interior, well set out with moutains of kit. Mine had sat-nav, reversing camera and sensors, climate control. You name it, the GS has it. I particularly liked the fold down thing with all the instruments on. It is very innovative. When driving it is incredibly hushed at all speeds and refinement is top notch. Quality is superb, as in all Lexii. I have also been assured by owners that the dealers are the best in the country. Overall, I think that the GS450h is not the planet's saviour - that's the Prius' job. But it is definitely economical, fast, comfortable, good looking and great value for money.

Sam Shepherd, July 3rd 2007

4.3 4dr Auto

I am amazed that none of the previous reviewers have mentioned the rattle that seems to affect every GS - from the centre dash and on cold mornings its so loud that you can hear it above the excellent hifi. This ruins the experience of the GS - its hush makes the rattle worse! So far three attempts to fix it have failed and one attempt put so much silicon gunge behind the dash that the VIN number was obliterated! This ruins a very good car as every time I am in it I can hear it and I just want to get rid now. Cannily (so I thought) buying a demo after 10 months takes the main hit of depreciation but my april 05 is now worth Β£21k at trade in meaning a loss of 18k in 16 months - with hindsight I guess I overpayed originally. Running costs are very low, build is good, kit is fantastic but I wish it burbled a bit more - had bigger wheels - was a bit more exciting to look at. Anyhoo I am stuck with negative equity on the finance so will keep the GS until I can swap it - no hardship but I have no choice in the matter. My advice is to test drive it without a salesman - turn the hifi off and listed carefully - you may just get a none rattler.

David Solomon, Wirral, March 8th 2007

3.0 SE-L 4dr Auto

I have had my GS for exactly one year - the fuel consumption is pretty average, but for all the standard gadgets that it runs, it's hardly a shock. It's a fantastic car - it has great looks. I wasn't keen on them at first, but they grew day by day - where I live, everyone drives a 5 Series or 4x4. I test-drove the competitors - the Lexus outweighed them heavily. By the time I had test-driven the GS three times in four weeks (once for a whole weekend), BMW had just got back to me to see if I still wanted a test drive I had requested a month ago! I did have a problem with my GS when new - it needed some new components in the gearbox. They replaced the whole gearbox to be safe and gave me a RX350 while it was in - I loved that, too! Any time I have dealt with Lexus I have not had to get upset or lose my patience - it's almost pleasurable! I know, it's hard to believe that a dealership could be pleasureable (well, I did say almost...)!

iain eyre, essex, March 2nd 2007

3.0 4dr Auto

It's superbly hushed even when cruising at 160km/h.This really make me realise what is sheer driving pleasure. Despite its tranquility,there are the striking looks and state-of-the-art comfort that lack in a Mercedes-benz.In other words,Lexus is undoubtedly the epitome in the mid-luxury cars cateogory.Anyone who wants cathedral-like quietness and speed should look no further than a GS300.

koh koh, taipei, November 27th 2006

3.0 SE-L 4dr Auto

This is my third Lexus and although it has been over eight years since I have owned one, it is nice to be back in one. I considered Audi, BMW and there is no comparison. Not only in the drive quality, but also in the buying experience. Try to visit the BMW or Audi showroom, then visit Lexus and you'll know what I mean. At the Lexus dealership you feel like a king rather than part of the mob. Test driving is absolutely hassle-free. If you are considering a car in this price range, you must give Lexus a try.

Mark Butler, Berkshire, June 19th 2006

3.0 SE 4dr Auto

There is only one problem with this car - it's so quiet, I sometimes press the ignition, put on my seatbelt and then, not realising the engine is running, press the ignition again and turn it off. And it makes about the same amount of noise at 70mph. This car takes all the stress out of driving around London, it is great at cruising, and is also a very good family size car. The gear changes are so quiet you forget it has a gearbox and it pulls away effortlessly, whether from a standing start or at 80mph. The rear view camera is a reason alone for buying the car, it takes all the hassle out of parking. The instrument layout is unfussy and economical, given the number of gadgets. Note to Lexus - the button to fold in the wing mirrors is in the little hidden button compartment. As a townie, I use this most of the time and it would be handy to have this button on the driver's door by the window switches. You can also have a five-star family summer holiday for the amount you save over the equivalent BMW or Mercedes.

Steven Segal, February 28th 2006

3.0 SE-L 4dr Auto

After four years with two new Jaguar S-Types, it was such a relief to own a car that does not break down! This Lexus does exactly what it says on the tin. It is fast, comfortable, extremely quiet, and fitted with everything you could want as standard. I find myself, even after eight months, looking for an excuse to go out and drive it. I idn't find the dealership as good as they are supposed to be, but, so far, I really can't find fault with this car.

David Todd, Down, February 1st 2006

3.0 SE-L 4dr Auto

After a string of BMW's culminating in the worst car I have ever owned I waited in eager anticipation for the launch of the 2006 GS 300. I managed to get a test test drive before the launch and was besotted. It is not a BMW 5 series, let us get that straight. This car has its own personallity. Performance wise its up there with the 3 litre 5 series regardless of what reviewers might say (I suggest that a BMW = Larger manhood to these guys). Comfort is Mercedes-like, refined and of a high standard. Truly this is the best car I have owned but not the most expensive. Go ahead take a test drive but above all make your own mind up.

Mike Palmer, June 22nd 2005

3.0 SE-L 4dr Auto

This is my sixth Lexus and the best yet. Personal experience has not shown the depreciation at all painful, and the service is second to none. I find it refreshing to buy a car and only have to consider the colour choice, with all other equipment standard this also makes the second-hand values far more consistant. Overall, this car is a joy to drive and doesn't suffer from the inverse snobbery so often associated with other marques. The extremely low levels of noise make progress over British roads a joy and journeys far more relaxing. This is of particular importance in modern traffic and I arrive at journeys ends ready to enjoy the venue rather than ready to drop!

Mark Gash, Warwickshire, May 18th 2005