SE 4.6 V8 4dr Auto

Bought this car (LS460SE) from a Lexus dealer in May 2011 - cannot fault their customer services, both before and after sales. Running costs? If you're asking, don't buy...(!) I average 25mpg, road tax is Β£460pa, and servicing at Lexus is Β£600 a go on average over 3 years @10k PA (prepaid), excluding consumables such as brakes, tyres, etc. Judging by the dust on the alloys I will be needing new pads quite frequently.... Quality is good, if not excellent. There is a question on the toys installed - they seem to lag behind the rest of the market, mine is a 56 plate and has no USB or iPod connector, the Sat Nav is the same one installed in a Toyota Prius(!) - Lexus could do better here. The leather is of an excellent quality and leg room plentiful, even for my 6'5" son. This car is for cruising down the motorway. Around town it is heavy and, as reported by WC, it can be hesitant on the gear change and engine response if suddenly required to accelerate. Once the gearbox knows what's required then she pulls like a locomotive. Put on the AutoBahn and you could be doing 120+ without even knowing it. Switching to "sports" suspension helps with the country roads but there is still a sense of understeer at speed. Parking is easy with the reversing camera and distance sensors. Would I buy another one? Probably...

Alex Lander-Brown, Bucks, June 18th 2011

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

I LOVE this car. I wanted a car this size so naturally test drove a 1 owner Merc S320cdi with 50,000 miles. Poooooh!!! I had such dreams about the S-class all my life only to have them shattered immediately. Rotten seats, disgustingly repellant interior with stupid buttons, and in the case of the standard length, would rather dangle my feet round the front passengers ears than suffer the lack of legroom in the back! And when i drove it not only was the ride was terrible, (my previous Omega 2.5V6 was a better ride) but it didn't move no matter which part of the car the accelerator was jabbed to. Being seriously disappointed i tried the 7 series only drop it just as quick. I subsequently FORCED my senses to accept the frog lookalike LS430 and superglued my sentiments to it from the moment i pulled the doorhandle towards my doubtful being... I bought the car with 21,799 miles and can't stop looking for excuses to drive it 35,000 miles later. I surprisingly get an extremely high street cred for it. Lovely comments from all ages and races but more from the middle aged females for some reason... Will definitely follow Rod Merchant into a LS460SEL-L very soon :-)

Aron Joseph, September 7th 2008

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

I have had this car now for over six months. I bought it used from a Lexus dealer. Everything in it works. There isn't a single rattle. It handles and performs much better than the equivilant BMW of Merc of which I have driven both. You will want for nothing if you buy one of these in terms of kit. Rear passangers love the electric heated massage seats and cool box. The voice recognition, bluetooth and touchscreen satnav have also come in real handy. I am currently averaging 22mpg but considering this car has a 4.3 litre v8 and weighs over 2 tonns, that's not bad in my opinion. Especially as I sometimes have a heavy right foot. I can say I will be very loyal to this brand and the dealers are second to none.

James Jones, Hertfordshire, February 20th 2008

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

The Lexus LS -- in Britain -- is a strange thing. In the USA (say), everyone naturally assumes that the very best car is, of course, the Lexus LS. Then - quite a step down - you have the unreliable, slow, plasticky S-Class and the more eccentric (unreliable, slow, plasticky) 7-Series. In Texas, for instance, "every" rich person simply has a Lexus LS..."The Big L" they say. If you're struggling and you can bear plastic interiors, you might get a Benz. Also, everyone realizes that EVERY LS you see has the massive, nutcase 4.3 V8. Whereas S-Classes and BMs are "trick" cars: 95% of them are the pathetic 2.1 (or whatever) models. Or diesels! All Lexus LS (just as with say, "all Murcielagos" or "all Scaglettis" or "all Phantoms") are the same variant: an actual 4.3, ultra-luxury Lexus LS. With the S-Class and 7-Series, 95% of the cars are cheap lookalikes that don't even have, say, basic airconditioned seats (for goodness sake) or a serious engine. So again - there is this strange duality where in much of the world Lexus is seen as "the" car with far and away the best engineering, most prestige, fastest, far and away the most luxurious interior, etc etc. And Benz and BM are the quirky, unreliable, "European choice". (This is all incredibly obvious to yanks, because, Japan wipes the floor with Germany in every engineering field. Have you ever had a German TV?) This review terminated due to 1500 character limit.

J May, December 30th 2007

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

I agree with Rod Merchant that the car is fantastic and with Smithy Jones that it looks like a melted Mercedes (what a good description). It is faultless - but it is faultlessly boring, so I'm going back to Mercs,. They might not be faultless but they are a lot nicer to drive!

Gordon Howard, Surrey, July 20th 2007

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

Well it certainly has the gadgets and the ride and quality is ok but nothing to match a Mercedes or Citroen. My main problem with this car is its looks, it just doesn't seem to look right from any angle, it looks a little like a melted Mercedes, and worse than that is the image. I get comments like "couldn't afford a Merc then" and "oh dear". But fairs fair, from the inside it is a very pleasent place to be and it has some poke too. Long journeys are a joy, I feel like I could drive to Australia in it.

Smithy Jones, August 19th 2006

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

Simply fantastic. It's five years old now with 85,000 miles on the clock and there's nothing to touch it. Lexus customer service (Ipswich) is second to none. I'll change it for the new 460L in two years' time.

Rod Marchant-Smith, Suffolk, March 31st 2006

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

The only thing I don't like is the amount of fuel it uses - very expensive.

james bond, March 28th 2005

4.3 V8 4dr Auto

You get what you pay for with this car. A very smooth ride gives a somewhat stately drive, but with the power should you need it. On long journeys it is very relaxing although you do get some tyre noise. The engine noise is almost non existent so forget the throaty roar when you put your foot down. It's not the most racey design, but it spells comfort and quality inside and out. I love the gadgets although the massage functions are only available for rear seat passengers (they stated this was because the car was often chauffer driven). The smart key is a great gadet lighting up the car as you approach and the bluetooth and navigation systems are excellent although the menus are not as intuitive as you might expect (I had to read the manual!!). The audio system is very good and overall I love it The auto-parking and rear camera system all aid parking (you need it as it a big car). All in all a pleasure to own and drive.

David Whittle, South Yorkshire, November 26th 2004